January 2019 Moms
Options

Ask Me Anything thread!

191011121315»

Re: Ask Me Anything thread!

• Options
    @galactickates I actually have a really good hospital only 5 minutes away that I have worked in and really like and my midwives actually have rights there BUT they prefer the one that is about 15 minutes from my house and I have heard it is just as good. They say they prefer it because they allow women more freedom to walk around during labor and other benefits. I know it isn’t as big of drive as yours would be but I am going with the one they prefer because of the added benefits.
  • Options
    @galactickates I struggled on the hospital decision as well. I currently switch off seeing and OB and a CNM. If I choose to have an OB deliver (for either choice it's not necessarily MY ob/cnm, just whoever from the practice happens to be doing deliveries that day) I would go to a large city hospital. For a midwife delivery it would be at a smaller community hospital in the suburbs. The larger hospital option seemed like a no-brainer - it's one of the best in the country and the closest option (about ten minutes from my house.) But I just really got a better vibe from the smaller hospital and a midwife delivery. The community hospital just finished a complete renovation of their labor and delivery rooms as well as their maternity unit. Every room has it's own tub/shower/nitrous oxide. Meanwhile the bigger hospital just feels like a "baby factory". It's a teaching hospital and is nearly always at capacity so there's just a lot going on and it definitely has a more sterile feel.  

The "further" hospital is only 25 minutes away, but really either option could take over an hour depending on traffic since I have to drive through the city (please pray that I don't go into labor during rush hour...). I don't think 45 minutes is so bad! I personally think you should go with your gut on this one and stick with the hospital you feel most comfortable at.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @galactickates Maybe it's because a live in a more rural area, but 45 minutes doesn't seem that far to me. Your comfort is what matters most.
    Me: 30   DH:32
    Dating: 2/2007   Married: 4/2011  
    TTC #1: 9/2016
    *TW*

BFP #1: 11/26/2016 - MC: 12/6/2016
    BFP #2: 3/9/2017 - CP: 3/10/2017
    08/2017: DH's SA = normal
    08/2017: Low progesterone (4.6) all other BW normal
    11/2017: HSG Clear; Pelvic Ultrasound Normal; and AMH, FSH, and Estradiol normal
    12/2017: 1,000mg Metformin
    12/2017: 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: 100mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: RE Consult
    03/2018: 5mg Letrozole + 50 units Gonal-F + 500 μg Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #3: 4/1/2018 - CP: 4/4/2018
    04/2018: 5mg Letrozole + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #4: 5/2/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @KariAnn323 if the hospital had a NICU, I totally agree that 45 minutes isn't bad and no traffic it's probably 30 minutes. I mean I commute that every day to work.  It's that if something happens and he needs to be transferred he could be an 1.5 away.  Maybe longer If there is traffic.  That's what freaks me out.  Do I plan for the best or worst case scenario.  
  • Options
    Thank you guys for sharing such thoughtful responses.  It gives me a lot to think about 
  • Options
    @galactickates

Honestly, I'd be really uncomfortable using a hospital that didn't have a NICU at all.  If there is an emergency, it seems like a transport would add so much extra risk. What if there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention?   Would the hospital be equipped to handle that?

Regarding the distance question, would you have to use their partnering NICU? Would they be willing/ able to transfer to one of the NICUs closer to your home instead? 

• Options
    @AshVA I don't know.  I'm going to talk to my Dr about it on Wednesday and get more insight.  Their website says they transfer with this other location. I know how far away that city is, which is causing me anxiety 
  • Options
    @galactickates Sorry you're going through this. It sounds like such a tough decision. Hopefully the tours will help you decide which option would work best for you. 

• Options
    @galactickates just seeing this now but I’m glad you both came down to an agreeable decision. I may be slightly biased from my experience but not expecting a NICU baby then having one, I am so grateful that we ended up delivering where we did. 

The 45 mins may not be an issue without traffic but going to visit him every day that’s over an hour from the house is mentally and physically draining. For that “just in case” scenario, I would have told you to go to the one that has NICU in the hospital. I know how difficult this is knowing how much you like your current team. It’s good to know that the care team at the closer facility is great too! 
  • Options
    Does anyone else find that cervical checks are really painful? I’ve always found them painful, but the last one I had, last week, was so bad I made her stop. The doctors/nurses always act like I’m overreacting and it shouldn’t be painful. And my sister claim they don’t hurt at all for her.

Today my perinatalologist told me I have to have another cervical check before they would let me go home and I really, really don’t want to do it (also because I’m worried it will trigger more contractions).
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @pttomato When I was pregnant with my DD, I only got a cervical check once when I was 37 weeks and it did hurt. They said it shouldn't hurt if you can wear a tampon and that was a straight up lie. I didn't get anymore after that (because it hurt and I also didn't want to go into labor)
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @pttomato I thought the checks hurt a lot! My doctor starts doing them at 36 weeks but I may decline them until necessary this time. 
  • Options
    @pttomato omgggg yesss!!! It hurts like hell. That was one of those “no one told me about this part and how painful it would be!!!” - same category as IV insert when getting admitted. I can totally see why you are hesitant about it bc the cramping and pain were too much to tolerate.
  • Options
    @pttomato That's strange that they would specifically want to do manual cervical checks given the PTL concerns. With DD my OB only offered checks starting at 38 weeks, and with DS (different doctor) the OB didn't do checks at all until 40 weeks (so I never had one with him). Is it not a viable alternative to use TVS to assess the cervix?

Also, to answer your question, I don't remember the check I had at 38 weeks to be uncomfortable at all, but I do remember hating the checks I had during labour because they hurt a ton.
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    pttomatopttomato member
    edited October 2018
    @tosh24 I do get Transvaginal ultrasounds to check cervical length, but she wants both. 
    I was contracting a lot last time they did a check so maybe that is why it was so bad.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @pttomato I only had 1 cervical check and I thought I was going to jump off the table from the pain! And I feel like I have a pretty high pain tolerance.