February 2019 Moms
Options

Ask a STM (w/o 7/9)

2»

Re: Ask a STM (w/o 7/9)

• Options
    @BourbonBiscuits As my midwife was getting ready to do my stitches, she told me to push the button for the epidural again. When I told her I was fine, she held up what appeared to be a giant fish hook and told me I was going to want to push it again. :D I agree, once you can feel the stitches, the euphoria kind of goes away.
  • Options
    @ruby696 omg I have such vivid memories of that fish hook. I sat up before my OB started stitching (DS was across the room being weighed) and got a glimpse of it before she told me to lay back down. YIKES. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kayjay44 I'm jealous. My mom had really easy labor with me. She couldn't even feel the contractions. That took 5 hours and as a FTM, she thought the other women giving birth were exaggerating. I did not experience that. My brother was 25 minutes of excruciating labor. My dad had to deliver him because the ambulance couldn't get there in time. I didn't get that either. Maybe the third time...
  • Options
    @ruby696 - don’t be - it’s excutiating. With DD I was blacking out and throwing up due to back labor for hours and she was born sunny side up. With DS, I went from 3 cm to 10 in 30 minutes. It was equally as terrible. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @kayjay44 Yup, I puke too. And the back labor -indescribably awful. But there is some appeal to get it over with faster. Although I've never been at a 9 and 10 unmedicated, so maybe longer labors aren't so bad?  :/
  • Options
    ruby696 said:
    @kayjay44 Yup, I puke too. And the back labor -indescribably awful. But there is some appeal to get it over with faster. Although I've never been at a 9 and 10 unmedicated, so maybe longer labors aren't so bad?  :/
    I’d say there are positives and negatives to each. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Question for you ladies that went unmediated - did your feet swell at all, or is that a side effect of the epidural? I’m on the fence as to whether or not to get one this time around...
  • Options
    Question for you ladies that went unmediated - did your feet swell at all, or is that a side effect of the epidural? I’m on the fence as to whether or not to get one this time around...
    My feet never swelled, but I didn’t have bad swelling during pregnancy and when I had any, I used compression socks. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    As for what to pack - Depends totally saved me.  I totally peed myself on the way home from the hospital because I laughed so disaster averted. They also feel way better than the mesh panties they give you, so I’ll be wearing them right away this time around.
  • Options
    my feet did swell, but thatwas due to the lengthy labor
  • Options
    I think feet swelling can be a result of the IV. You will get an IV if you get an epidural but you can also get one if you aren’t drinking enough water. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Omie_Wise said:
    I think feet swelling can be a result of the IV. You will get an IV if you get an epidural but you can also get one if you aren’t drinking enough water. 
    Or if you need antibiotics for group B strep

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    My epidural with my first almost put me to sleep. I waited until the last minute to get it and probably could've pulled through, but I didn't. However, I felt great after dd1 was born. I left a few hours later and continued to feel great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    @AshleySparkle720 I didn't have any side effects from my epidurals either. DD was a VBAC so the hospital made me stay 24 hours, but I refused to stay any longer than that. I felt fine (well, other than sitting on stitches).

I did have swollen feet with DS, but I was in labor for 27 hours before having a c-section. Feet were fine with DD.
  • Options
    If you don't need it upfront for anything, can you opt out of the IV? 

I'm terrible with medical stuff so plan on avoiding whatever I can, including an epidural. I'm getting used to the idea of a hospital birth, slowly, but IVs are really my kryptonite.
  • Options
    I had no side effects from the epidural either.  I had very easy recoveries after both of my kids' births (both vaginal). 

FTMs - make sure you take it easy after birth, even if you're feeling great!  The day I got home with DS I was feeling fine and decided to run to target for a few things ... BAD IDEA.  Don't do too much too soon.  You will regret it! 

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Options
    allthingsgoallthingsgo member
    edited July 2018
    Definitely take it easy after birth. I had a c section so I had to but even if you are feeling great remember you will crash and things will be that much more painful. 

I had an unmedicated labor for 36 hours and got to 9.5 cm but then stalled. So I was given pitocin to get things going and OMG those labor pains were so much worse than normal pains (and those were painful). Within an hour I was begging for an epidural.

Then while pushing DD kept being pulled back in and no progress was made. I was exhausted to the point I was shaking. They decided a c section would be best and turns out she was so wrapped up in the cord it was just acting like a bungee and pulling her back in. I’m hoping to go VBAC this time and not get induced like last time. 

ETA: I also did not realize that, yes, your butt will never be the same again. 
  • Options
    Oh man. All these vaginal stories make me oddly greatful that I’ve had two c-sections and plan on a third. I don’t feel like I’ve missed out on a single thing  :D
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @becks_726 I'm not sure. That was the first thing they did when I got there and for DD I had to have one in each arm since I was having a VBAC. I plan to ask if they can place the IV's without hooking them up so I can move around this time. 

If I hadn't had a prior c-section, I would stay home as long as possible. That way you can do anything you want. And when you're deep in labor, you will not care about an IV placement at all. Just make sure you're well hydrated so they can place it quickly and easily.
  • Options
    one exception to staying home as long as you want. that changes if your water breaks first like mine did. my water broke but there were no contractions. As I was grabbing the hospital bag and other last minute things the contractions did slowly start. But when your water breaks they like for you to go to the hospital, if a hospital birth is your route. Two books to read if you are interested, Guide to Childbirth by Ina May and Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel.
  • Options
    Ok so i had 3 NVB my first didnt even last 2 hours and had to vaccumed out do to turning in the  birth canal that laed to a 3rd° laceration to centimeters from my Butt hoal. It was 32 stiches in total. Number 2 was 3.5 hours and vary easy only a few stiches. Number 3 my ten pounder was my longest of 7 hrs. And 7 stiches. If you go natural the ring of firer is real and im always straving after labor so i recomend making sure u no where the good take out is. And witch hazel pads are a life saver!!
  • Options
    one exception to staying home as long as you want. that changes if your water breaks first like mine did. my water broke but there were no contractions. As I was grabbing the hospital bag and other last minute things the contractions did slowly start. But when your water breaks they like for you to go to the hospital, if a hospital birth is your route. Two books to read if you are interested, Guide to Childbirth by Ina May and Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel.
    Good point. That happened with my first as well. Water breaking (in my experience) starts a 24 hr clock. My midwife let me go 27 hours, but DS was not coming out so I had to have a c-section.

Also, if your water breaks outside of the hospital, you need to pay attention to whether there is any meconium in it.
  • Options
    The epidural drug doesn't always work. They had to give 3 different doses and realized the drug was ineffective. They finally switched to another drug, which they said would be effective, but would ware off quickly.  Something I never expected to experience. 
  • Options
    The puking,I had forgotten. After 40hrs of labor right as they were taking me for my c section, and again when they were taking me up to recovery. Needing a transfusion the next day bc I lost too much blood was also super fun. Ugh. Hoping having a scheduled c section this time avoids some of that. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @becks_726 My hospital required me to at least get the heplock placed but I wasn’t required to have an IV attached as long as I kept drinking water. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Omie_Wise said:
    @becks_726 My hospital required me to at least get the heplock placed but I wasn’t required to have an IV attached as long as I kept drinking water. 
    Most places require a hep lock in case they need to give you something fast. I've always had one because I've always been Group B Strep positive, but I'm only hooked up while the antibiotics are going in.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Yeah same with where I delivered @kayjay44. IVs are nothing to me anymore. I had a 5 day hospitalization in January. They’re old news now.
  • Options
    This is scary but wonderful information! Thank you all 
  • Options
    I agree the pushing on the stomach is weird but necessary.  After my DS was born my placenta would not come out.  We waited and massaged and no dice.  My doctor tried to manually remove it...yes elbow deep inside me trying to rip it out.  The pain was worse than child birth and something I wish to never experience again.  I ended up in the OR for them to do a d and c.  Horrifying...I’ve switched doctors for this second pregnancy.

so I am a STM but I have a question for those who are on three or more...I’m 10w3d and I SWEAR I felt baby movement last night while I was laying in bed.  Not a kick but the rolling/fluttering feeling when baby moves around.  I KNOW it isn’t gas and this felt very much the same as my DS when he was in utero swimming around.  Am I crazy or could I be feeling the fluttering?? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes, i may only be 11 weeks, but i am freaking out! I was reading about child birth and your body after and i started crying. I know it is worth it, but can someone please calm my nerves
  • Options
    Yes, i may only be 11 weeks, but i am freaking out! I was reading about child birth and your body after and i started crying. I know it is worth it, but can someone please calm my nerves
    You're gonna be great!! Don't read too much about childbirth online ... I agree with @madreofdragons by the time you're late in the third tri, you'll be begging for someone to just get the kid OUT. I think of childbirth as something you just kind of get through. You'll be amazed at what your body can do. When I felt anxious about childbirth with my first, I read some super crunchy granola birth books (Ina May's guide to childbirth is not SUPER crunchy, but just enough) about how powerful your body is. I have never felt more powerful than looking at my child and knowing that my body created him, sustained him, pushed him out and then kept him alive all on its own. 

Plus it can't be all that bad if there are second, third and fourth time moms, right? 
  • Options
    It is scary but also amazing once you have that little peanut in your arms.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    It sucks, but it's temporary and doesn't last very long. And with the newborn haze, you kind of just float through it anyway.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    This sums up how I felt when I went into labor:

You get through it though, mostly because you are at the point of no return  :D
    This exactly. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Lol you guys are the best! Thank you so much for the reassurance and laughs  :)
  • Options
    @conchispita yes! That is awesome! I love Arrested Development!