July 2018 Moms

Breastfeeding/pumping support 7/6

1. How are things going?
2. What has been hard?
3. What's been going well?
4. Any questions/concerns? 
5. Any tips/advice/resources you found helpful this week? 
April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

Re: Breastfeeding/pumping support 7/6

• Selfishly started because I need some support.

1. How are things going? They are okay. I have major anxiety around breastfeeding/supply from my experience with my daughter. I am pumping once a day when I feel she isn't fully emptying and I'm scared of leaking kr scared my supply will drop. Also so I can start storing. 
    2. What has been hard? Cluster feeding is such a mind f*ck for me. I know in my head it's normal and a good thing to help increase supply. But tonight it was about 3-4 hours of almost constant feeding. It was making me feel panicky that I wasn't making enough and that she was starving. Ugh also my boobs and nipples just ache now. 
    3. What's been going well? Latching has been better and I have felt really good that I have been able to get 5oz during my pumping session to store and this is right after I feed he during the morning. 
    4. Any questions/concerns?  see above
    5. Any tips/advice/resources you found helpful this week? what do you use to help painful abd sore boobs? I am using Lansinoh nipple cream right now. I thought motherlove was too oily. and I have the boob heat/cold packs but those are only moderately helpful. Oh also definitely apply nipple cream before you shower if they are sore! i almost cried when the warm water hit them this morning. 

• @lindsayleigh1989 5 oz is actually considered an oversupply, even if done before a feeding. Most women only pump 2 oz in a session.

1. How are things going?
    Overall, good. BF has been crap though.

2. What has been hard?
    Since DS was in the NICU and not even allowed to eat for 12 hours and then only had bottles for the first few days, his latch is pretty terrible. It's super shallow which means so much pain. So much time is spent just trying to latch that I'd say maybe 1 feeding of the whole day is even partially by BF, the rest are bottle fed BM.

I'm also pumping every time he feeds so I don't loose my supply which equates to about 3 hours tied to this damn pump every day. And that doesn't include his feeding time or attempts to BF, which can easily turn into over an hour. (Back story: I didn't pump more than 2 or 3 times a day with DD and never produced more than 40-50% of her intake needs once she finally figured out BF so I'm afraid to have the same experience this time too.)

He's actually latching sometimes and it's getting deeper. I've also been able to attend a local BF support group once or twice a week even though I didn't think I'd be able to bc of needing to find someone to watch DD during that time.

No questions and all my concerns are above.

Rent a hospital grade pump if you can!! I had a Medela PISA with DD and just got the Spectra S2 Plus. The Medela is basically crap for me, I just don't respond to it. The S2 is better but I still get a lot more with the hospital pump. Also, hand expression at the end of a pumping sessions, as well as message during pumping help get more milk.

If you're pumping and bottle feeding, check out pace feeding. It can help eliminate gas, spit up, and overfeeding.
  • Loading the player...
  • crabcake18crabcake18 member
    edited July 2018
    . @lindsayleigh1989   I’m so happy to have this thread! below is why. I have a bamboobies cream I’m using, my Nipples are so sore too. Cluster feeding is so hard! I think twin B is starting that too. He wants to nurse, have a bottle and nurse again.  @TalesOfASocialIntrovert I need to look jiggly pace feeding, I think twin b was overfed in the nicu, he would take like 80ml and he’s only taken 60 tops since he’s been home. Our nicu stay really has effected bfing for us too, it’s so hard, I’m sorry it has been for you too :( 

How are things going? With ds1 bfing was easy. I had mastitis twice but it wasn’t awful and he was a great nurser. I didn’t know I’d love bfing but we went for 17 months and it was sad to stop. This time is so difficult and I’m exhausted! 
    2. What has been hard? The babies were born early so they were tube fed and too small to have sucking down. They went to bottles which are easier than nursing which is a barrier for us. They came home with instructions to nurse twice a day and add a session per week. Meanwhile I’m pumping and fortifying with 25% formula at every bottle feeding.
    3. What's been going well?. I’m SO OVER pumping so I’ve been bfing as much as possible (giving a small bottle after to make sure they get enough) and I’ve been able to tandem feed them at least once a day now! My pedi is happy with their growth so I’m not concerned about them needing the formula as much
    4. Any questions/concerns? I just hope I’m making the right choice. We go back to the dr in two weeks and I want their weight to be good still. I’ve been pumping every 3.5- 4 hours and I don’t know if that’s enough to keep up supply but I’m worried about over doing it between pumping and nursing too. Do pacifiers affect bfing negatively? My boys have them and need them but ds1 never had one. 
    5. Any tips/advice/resources you found helpful this week? I’m using my twin nursing pillow and it is so needed. My boppy was the best with ds1
  • @crabcake18 I recently saw the infographic below. However, our ped said he would prefer a pacifier over sucking their thumb. Reason being, a paci can be taken away when the time comes but you can't easily stop a kid from sucking their thumb. And it can end up causing dental issues. For us, DD never took a pacifier and she definitely gave more obvious hunger cues. DS was given one in the NICU without them asking us and he now almost demands it by crying. He cried after a feeding last night and DH gave him his pacifier, which did calm him. However, it sounded like a hunger cry so I made another bottle and wouldn't you know, he ate it right up and then fell asleep.

So I think it's one of those things that you weigh the pros and cons for your child/children and do what works best.

• @lindsayleigh1989 have you tried earth mama nipple butter? I have that and lanisoh and the earth mama is A LOT thinner if you dont want something so thickly coated. I personally get more relief from the lanisoh but like the earth mama as well.
    @crabcake18 my DS never took a pacifier, but DD likes it. Personally it hasn't affected my BF journey at all. DD likes to literally chew and in the beginning I offered the breast to the pacifier thinking she was ready to cluster feed but she turned away at the breast. I can tell her hunger cues vs just wanting to pacify or chew and ill offer the breast when she is showing hunger cues. I would say just read your babies cues as far as the pacifier goes and if it becomes an interference then just take it away and offer the breast as a replacement. 
  • @lindsayleigh1989 I’m with you on the anxiety of under producing based on the first baby. I just try to put her on every chance I get to help establish the supply. I wasn’t good about it with the first 

My main question is when to start pumping in order to build up a stash. Right now I don’t pump unless I feel really full and she’s not emptying me. I get nervous to pump because then I worry I won’t have enough when she wants to nurse! My last went on a nursing strike I think due to getting used to bottles so I’m trying to avoid bottle feeding as much as possible.
    BFing is going pretty okay right now. Baby is only 4 days old so she’s still learning what to do lol but she’s great at latching once she figures out what’s going on.

ive been using lanolin cream to help with the healing and the pain. Does anyone else cringe once the LO latches? Ugh so painful right now!

• Planning on going to the hospital’s lactation services on Monday because i just cant seem to keep Collin on the right side. Latching can improve but overall feeling better about BFing this time around. Wish i could do something about this painful and fast letdown. For now I’m thinking of at least feeding on the left and pump the right to save my sanity until it can be corrected. I can build up a stash too. 
    Anyone else have to change poo diapers in the middle of feeding? We get at least two each time! I also think that he might have some sort of allergy. He’s had very loose poos and very frequently. I’m thinking maybe dairy but my mom also say watermelon (old wives tale?). 
  • @TalesOfASocialIntrovert so sorry it has been so hard and you are tied to the pump. I agree spectra is way better than pisa but i wish it was more feasible to rent hospital grade.

@crabcake18 I can't imagine nursing with twins it sounds so exhausting. you are doing an incredible job!! 

@kbernal2021 I will look into that! 

@wildtot have you tried a nipple shield? That helped me a ton with dd1. I had one side she did not want to latch too initially

• @lindsayleigh1989 i haven’t tried it this time yet, but i did with DS1. I’ll have to buy one soon and see if it helps. I adjusted his body position earlier and got him to stay 5-10 mind so making progress! 
  • kbernal2021kbernal2021 member
    edited July 2018
    @wildtot before we left the hospital the LC gave me a great tip for if baby is having a hard time latching on one side. So she said if baby latches great on the left to transition over to the right in the exact same position as if you were feeding on the left. (If that makes sense.) She said sometimes baby can feel backwards and have a hard time remembering what to do. So if your nursing regular on one side then you may need to do football hold on the other to keep them the same way.
    And +1 on the insane amounts of poop DD creates while nursing. The loose stools are normal for BF babies though, they should look yellow/green and seedy. Very runny and loose like dirrhea is great for BF babies.
    @julianne0 +1 to those first days being super painful at the latch. I had thrush on day 3 and seriously latching on the left hurt so bad I wanted to cry. Thankfully it gets better!

ETA: hang in there all the BF/pumping mamas. Your all doing amazing!
  • @Kbern134 i suck at the football hold and hopefully i can get some practice with the LC. But that does make sense. 
  • Same on sucking at the football hold! Baby looks so awkward like shes uncomfortable!
  • kbernal2021kbernal2021 member
    edited July 2018
    Talked with a good friend of mine today who has 4 babies with her youngest being just a few months old and she is nursing. She has had mastitis more times than I can count with every one of her babies, clogged ducts, and thrush multiple times and managed to nurse through it all and make it to at least a year on nursing them all! Anyway she told me after dealing with thrush that if I suspected clogged ducts that she recommended a supplement named lecithin. She said it saved her life once her LC got her started on it and it's seriously helped prevent clogged ducts. She also recommended nursing on all fours if dealing with mastitis, or clogged ducts because for whatever reason gravity doing its thing helps so much with both.

Just wanted to pass this info along because to me it was super helpful!
  • 1. How are things going?
    BF is HARD, yo! Such a natural yet super challenging thing. It's going well so far but definitely took a couple of days to understand even the basics.
    2. What has been hard?
    LO weighs 6 lbs now and as a tiny baby he has a tiny mouth, so his latch is not very good, thiugti don't think it's bad either because this is day 4 and my nipples are doing ok. Getting an LC to help on Monday.

It's also hard to deal with the fact that a BF session basically lasts an hour if all goes well between switching sides, burping, possible fusses, changing, etc. I'm always looking for efficiency but I have surrendered now and just doing my best for Milo! 

DS seems to poop and pee fine and he is *usually* on a good "schedule" of feeding every 2.5-3 hrs and sleeping until the next session. Unless it's a day like today, see below. Anyways, I feel like he is getting fed.
    Also I am not pumping anymore after the hospital baby line advised me against it but at my last session I pumped 75 ml which I thought was pretty good and it was also pretty even on both sides.

Biggest positive is DH has been helping so much waking up with me most time, helping BFIng, pumping, washing things, changing diapers, he is a super dad and I'm so freaking proud of him.

First, I guess it's normal that my boobs are rock solid. But what do I need to look for for mastitis? I'm super terrified. 

Other question, does anyone know if soda can affect BF??? Milo had an amazing morning until his 3pm session rolled around. After feeding he got SO FUSSY, he cried like a maniac on and off for 2.5 hours! I know it can be just a random fuss but I had a coke right before nursing and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with it?

Lastly, the poop is way lighter than the meconium but it's not fully yellow yet, he is 5 days old, I'm guessing it's ok?
    Thankful for you ladies and the hospital baby line! Looking forward to working with my doula/LC to hopefully fix the latch.

+1 for painful initial latch especially when baby is AGGRESSIVELY hungry! And sooooooooo agreed on the football, it's so dumb IMO, the cross cradle is easier on me for now. Plus I don't have the patience for all the pillows you need for the football.
  • @hillbillywife not a whole lot less dairy cow but I know someone who hand expressed on all fours for their LO through clogged ducts, and that did something similar to nursing in that position for her. But I think she hand expressed into the babies' mouth so thats pretty similar to nursing as far as dairy animal scenes go, I guess!

Also @kissableviv I was going to say that carbonated beverages CAN affect LO because I had a friend who gave up soda because her child seemed to react weird to it (maybe it was the caffeine)? But kellymom.com says that carbonation cannot affect LO's and give them gas through your breast milk. So I learned something new! Thanks!
  • @kbernal2021 yes on the lechitin!! My LC had me on that when I had a clogged duct and I managed to avoid it t turning into mastitis. Also if you get a clog you can try to find a practitioner (usually a chiro- mine does it) that performs ultrasound therapy to clear the clog. Warm showers while massage the clog is also great, and warm compresses. @kissableviv rock hard is normal in the very beginning but watch out for fever and chills. You can hand express a llittle to relieve some pressure. you may just be adjusting to going from pumping to not pumping. Re food/beverages, obviously there are allergies/intolerances like dairy and soy that can affect baby, but for the most part as long as there’s no allergy, I don’t think it’s really true that gassy foods make babies gassy. My mom kept telling me to avoid onion, garlic, broccoli etc and my LC was like nope eat all the garlic you want. 
  • @zande2016 yeah my mom also started mentioning foods affecting BF which is funny because she doesn't even remember anything about babies and keeps saying she's never heard some of the recommendations/baby basics I mentioned....

I'm wondering if the caffeine or some of the chemicals could have some effect, for now I'll stick to my one cup of coffee - it's so much trial and error!
    I really only pumped twice/3 times so hopefully my body is adjusting, LO is able to relieve a lot more pressure now so yay!
  • @kissableviv I had mastitis once with my twins and it’s an experience I hope to never repeat (it didn’t happen In the early stages with the rock hard boobs, which are normal, it was a few months in). I woke up feeling kind of off but not sure why. Got up and went to pump while my DH got the boys up. Within 30 minutes, I had to stop pumping and lay down because I felt feverish and light headed. I laid down and immediately started to get the chills and full body aches. By about two hours after first waking up I was vomiting and could barely move. My DH drove me to urgent care and I actually laid in the car while I waited for my turn because I couldn’t sit in the waiting room I was so uncomfortable. I had some redness and warmth on the underside of my right breast but no clog that I could feel. It is not something you’ll question if you get it, you’ll know! Thankfully after two doses of antibiotics I was feeling waaay better. 

I think caffeine can affect some babies (especially if you didn’t drink much while pregnant) but otherwise I don’t think soda should affect anything. Maybe he just had some coincidental gas?
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Right there with ya on the older generation not understanding the current pregnancy and newborn guidelines. It can be a tough and annoying battle when trying to make the argument with them and they keep pushing it. 
  • @hillbillywife LOL!!! Picturing myself nursing on all fours seems hard to do.. aside from the dairy cow nursing experience I feel like it would take something drastic to get me to nurse that way.
    @zande2016 I have never heard of the lechitin! Should you only take it if you have a history of dealing with clogs etc? Or can it be taken as a preventative? Also interesting to know chiros can help with the clogged ducts!!
    @kissableviv the rock hard breasts are normal because you are engorged as your body tries to level out according to your babies needs. Mastitis will have flu like symptoms as the biggest indicator. Your breast will be warm to the touch and you'll have redness as well, I want to say my friend had a rash to accompany hers as well going towards her underarm.
  • @kbernal2021 when I had the clog I was told to take a lot of it...can’t remember the exact dosage she recommended, and then she said when it clears to keep taking it in a Lower dose as a preventative measure. 
  • Thanks ladies, I have not even had time to review all the discharging documents from the hospital where they mention all this stuff. As all of us I'm sure, I need to make sure I stay on top of my recovery and health too! Which is so hard with a newborn of course
  • I found a support group for breast feeding on Facebook breast bottle and beyond - support group  
    They have pretty good information and have some LC. They will even help you with sizing of flanges. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Another good Facebook group for breastfeeding is Dairy Queen’s breastfeeding support 
  • Has anyone used the milkie milk savers or something similar for catching the milk we lose during letdowns? 
  • @kbernal2021 I’m using the Haakaa and it has been working really well for when my daughter is nursing at the other boob. Not sure if that’s what you meant. (Also, all, apologies - I was active here early on and then took a hiatus / lurked, but have been reading along on birth, c-section and nursing threads in particular and may try to jump in a bit more. Congrats to all the new mamas - you guys rock!)
  • 1. How are things going? It has been tough! We are getting her fed, mostly, but wow has it been hard. Follow up appt on Monday to see if she is gaining weight (she had been losing still). 

2. What has been hard? Learned at first pediatrician visit that she had a tongue tie and oral surgeon confirmed it was a double (top and bottom). She got them both cut with a laser and that made her inconsolable afterward and broke our rhythm. And before that she had jaundice so we were forced to feed her on a schedule every three hours for exactly 30
    min at a time and pump to supplement in between, which was very stressful. Also, she is the sleepiest baby ever, so we have to set alarms constantly and wake her up to eat and try to keep her awake while eating. 

3. What's been going well? She seems to be latching more deeply three days post the tongue tie surgery. My scabbed up nipples are healing up (thank goodness)! So hopefully we are turning a corner in a positive direction. 

4. Any questions/concerns? STM - Does it get easier? Between trying to get her latched on and feeding, it takes forever and it’s getting so tiring!

5. Any tips/advice/resources you found helpful this week? My sister - a pediatrician and mother of two - came this weekend and gave me some coaching. The two tips that really worked for me that perhaps might be helpful to others are: (1) pull the baby in closer to you if she is not latched deeply - it can make her open up wider and latch more deeply just by instinct. Nose to boob! And (2) Lift the boob from below with your hand so that she is coming it at from below.  
  • @julianne0 it is really intense when lo latches I agree! @lindsayleigh1989 thank you for the support! @TalesOfASocialIntrovert thank you for sharing that, I had no idea about the hormone and it is interesting, I’m going to share with DH too. Good that pedi prefers paci to the thumb!  @kbernal2021 I’m used to knowing hunger cues, and you’re totally right about offering the boob to figure it out too, I’m definitely feel like the paci/combined bottle and bfing are confusing for me this time. Hopefully it gets easier soon 

are you guys starving? I’m snacking in the motn and don’t love that but I need food all the time! I keep a box of granola bars on my headboard! 
  • +1 for the snacking! I keep trailmix on my nightstand!
  • 1. How are things going? It has been tough! We are getting her fed, mostly, but wow has it been hard. Follow up appt on Monday to see if she is gaining weight (she had been losing still). 

2. What has been hard? Learned at first pediatrician visit that she had a tongue tie and oral surgeon confirmed it was a double (top and bottom). She got them both cut with a laser and that made her inconsolable afterward and broke our rhythm. And before that she had jaundice so we were forced to feed her on a schedule every three hours for exactly 30
    min at a time and pump to supplement in between, which was very stressful. Also, she is the sleepiest baby ever, so we have to set alarms constantly and wake her up to eat and try to keep her awake while eating. 

3. What's been going well? She seems to be latching more deeply three days post the tongue tie surgery. My scabbed up nipples are healing up (thank goodness)! So hopefully we are turning a corner in a positive direction. 

4. Any questions/concerns? STM - Does it get easier? Between trying to get her latched on and feeding, it takes forever and it’s getting so tiring!

5. Any tips/advice/resources you found helpful this week? My sister - a pediatrician and mother of two - came this weekend and gave me some coaching. The two tips that really worked for me that perhaps might be helpful to others are: (1) pull the baby in closer to you if she is not latched deeply - it can make her open up wider and latch more deeply just by instinct. Nose to boob! And (2) Lift the boob from below with your hand so that she is coming it at from below.  
    You should change your name so we can recognize when you post and get to know you better :) I just wanted to reply about the tongue tie and latching. Two things: did they advise you to stretch the wounds to prevent reattachment? And have you seen anyone post revision like a chiropractor? Those two things will ensure continued success with the procedure. There’s an amazing Facebook support group that’s called tongue tie baby support group, so much info in there. 

• 4. Any questions/concerns? STM - Does it get easier? Between trying to get her latched on and feeding, it takes forever and it’s getting so tiring!

In my experience, yes it gets easier!  We’ve had a lot of troubles this time (preemie) but the reason I keep pushing through is because I loved BFing my oldest.  Not only did we save money on formula, but I found it so convenient!  We never had to worry about how many bottles to pack, where we were going to heat them up, running out of formula, etc.   Also as the baby gets older, more coordinated, and practices more they’ll be able to latch better on their own.  

Im definitely a “fed is best” proponent.  However, if you choose to power through, I think you’ll find that it’s worth it.  
  • @zande2016 thanks for flagging that. I have a username and thought I was logged in to @adventuresawait1 but I guess something went awry! Testing now...
  • It's still showing knottie...hmm maybe try logging out and back in? I'm not very tech savvy. 
  • Take 2!
    Success! 
  • @zande2016 Appreciatr the qs. We definitely want this to be a permanent fix! Yes to #1 - we have been doing the mouth massage top and bottom 5 times a day. No on #2 - what do you suggest in terms of chiropractor?

@tarheelgirl8 Good to hear and appreciate the encouragement! I have flat / inverted nipples, too, and we are using the nipple guard and while I have been committed to giving BF a good go, it has just been so much harder and more exhausting than I had anticipated. But trying to power through and take it one day at a time. I think it might be from the movie “Apollo 13” - “Work the problem” - that’s what I have been trying to focus on!
  • @adventuresawait1 are you working with a LC? If so, see if they have a recommendation for a chiro that adjusts babies, even better if they have experience working w/ tongue tie babies. The adjustment is super gentle and not at all invasive, but it helps so much with latch. We also had cranial sacral therapy done which is also incredibly gentle but made  a world of difference. You can see if there's a local FB group near you for provider recommendations too. If latching is going fine it may not be necessary, but for my son he needed the therapy after to get the latch down. 
  • About how long do these LOs need to nurse for one feeding? I’m sure it can vary but does 30 minutes to an hour sound right?
  • Praise the Lord my boobs are now softer. Hoping that means we are getting into a routine. On the other hand, baby has been overall fussy in the afternoon and night, I know there's a growth spurt around day 5 to day 7 (he is a week old today).

I'm also having a hard time with cluster feeding. I just resist it because I'm so sore and I am not yet good at breastfeeding in different rooms and positions and because it's hot during the hottest hours I'm confined to my ac room upstairs. I feel bad about my mom sitting around while all I do is breastfeeding but that may just be what needs to happen for now.