December 2018 Moms
Options

UO 6.28.18

Re: UO 6.28.18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    Mine is that I think the classic red Tobasco is the worst hot sauce you can buy.  I do not understand why it's so popular.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I do and I don’t understand the Disney obsession. I’d never gone to either theme park until H’s family took us to Disneyworld (right? Florida?) 6 years ago and it actually was pretty magical. The rides aren’t fantastically exciting like Cedar Point, which is what I grew up on, but the details of everything are crafted very well. I’d love to go again, and maybe take my kids when they’re old enough to remember and for me to enjoy the experience (ha) but I’m definitely not one of the super-fans. And yes, I’d still rather go to Europe @runrinserepeat ;)
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    hkom said:
    Mine is that I think the classic red Tobasco is the worst hot sauce you can buy.  I do not understand why it's so popular.  
    YASSS!! H and I are HUGE hot sauce fanatics. I probably have about 50 in my house, none of which are tobasco! I think it's so popular because people don't know what else to buy. 
  • Options
    I guess my UO is that I love Disney! DH and I had passes for years before DD. We started going again this year but only bought the 4 day pass to see how well DD did. She absolutely loved it! We will probably do the 4day pass again next year because we will have a <6mo at the time. 
  • Options
    @gorgeousariel help me understand this though. Why not go somewhere new? See something different? Experience a new culture? Eat real French crepes or authentic Italian pasta? I legit don't get it. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I do and I don’t understand the Disney obsession. I’d never gone to either theme park until H’s family took us to Disneyworld (right? Florida?) 6 years ago and it actually was pretty magical. The rides aren’t fantastically exciting like Cedar Point, which is what I grew up on, but the details of everything are crafted very well. 
    YESSSSSS to Cedar point!! I grew up about three hours away. It’s hard to compare any amusement park to there.  Plus put-in-bay is right there too!  Shots, shots, shots!!  I haven’t been to either for years and probably wouldn’t do more than one shot ;)

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    @kristah2 That has to be it.  It's famous so people just grab it without thinking.  I do like the green variety though.  But the red is just so harsh.  I think it's the oak from aging it in the old whiskey barrels.  It has that whiskey burn, and the vinegar to pepper ratio is way too high.  So gross.

Hot sauce solidarity.  We definitely don't have 50, but we generally have probably around 15+/- types at any given time.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    +1 to i don't get the disney obsession. I mean, if i lived close to it, sure, what a great place to spend some time. But for the cost of my family to get there and stay a few days, we might as well go to europe.

Mine for today is that i'm not a big fan of sushi. I mean, it's fine if everyone is dying to go, but not something i would ever pick.  
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    edited June 2018
    @gorgeousariel help me understand this though. Why not go somewhere new? See something different? Experience a new culture? Eat real French crepes or authentic Italian pasta? I legit don't get it. 
    You don't even have to leave the county, or even the state to find things worthy of an amazing trip/vacation for either families or just couples.  There are so many cool things just in Florida alone.  We had a family wedding down there a few years ago in the St. Pete / Clearwater area, and as soon as the wedding stuff was done everyone practically ran out of town to Disney.  You could spend a week just in and around Tampa finding cool things to do (Ybor City, hollaaa).  Or drive a few more hours and get to The Everglades, The Keys, any of the springs, Kennedy Space Center, or pick from the 650+ miles of beaches.

*ETA:  I swear I don't work for the state of Florida.  There's just a lot to do there!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    @morgantu   Don't get me up on my sushi soapbox!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @hkom like pensive crayon said it is just magical. I could go there over and over again. But when we stopped getting passes, they were When our last passes we're about to expire, it was starting to get redundant ( probably because that year I did a school project on Disney and we were there every other weekend).  They started to remodel magic kingdom / fantasy land so we decided to stop going until it was done. And it was getting expensive. Two " broke" college students could still afford to go at the time. 

We choose to go there because it's close ( 2hrs away). We live 10 minutes from the beach and 30 minutes away from the #1 beach in the country. So going to any other beach is just meh. Spoiled? yes but that's reality of where I live. I have driven through the Everglades and have no desire to explore it. I would like to see the keys but it's hard to get there for us. DH can't take time off in the summer, Sept/ Oct is still hurricane season so I wouldn't want to plan anything in advance, and then it's snow bird season and it jacks up the price, spring in Spring break. Repeat. 

So Disney is a mixture of convenience, value of money ( or used to be), and it's fun for us. 
  • Options
    I guess my UO is I do love Disney, haha. I totally want to see other things and go different places. I don’t get the people who to Disney every single year. I would like to go every few years at most and hopefully in between those trips, do something new and exciting. I definitely want my kids to experience Disney though.  I wanted to go so desperately as a kid and didn’t go until I was an adult. I think the appeal in general for people who do Disney all the time and nothing else is at least partly that it’s easy. As expensive as it is, everything is there including food, transportation, drinks, entertainment, and obviously the parks. You don’t even have to drive. In other words, it’s a safe, risk-free vacation. You know what you’re going to get.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    I have been to Disney maybe 10 or so times?  5 times for cheerleading and 5 times with family.   I will definitely be taking my children there once they're old enough to enjoy the shows and fireworks and all of that sort of stuff.  It won't be something we'll do often, but my mother is literally counting down the days until she can bring them there (she is obsessed).  
    I'd love to go to Europe, but I don't necessarily want to bring my kids there.  I'd do a couples/girls trip to Europe before a family vacation. 

While I love fireworks, 4th of July has been a pain in the ass for my family the last few years.  Especially since it is in the middle of the week, both weekends before and after people shoot off fireworks and scare my dog and wake up my child! I will like it again when my kids are older but for now, MAKE IT STOP.
  • Options
    @hkom yes!! We vacationed last year to Florida (from Canada so Florida is always a treat) and don't get me wrong I LOVE Disney but rather then take a 1 year old who probably wouldn't even know what was happening, we rented a house between Tampa and Sarasota. We took advantage of the pool our house had, Siesta Key beach, the Tampa Zoo, we saw a hockey game in Tampa (we are huge Penguins fans and they were playing Tampa!), some outlet shopping, and just enjoyed some good food and weather.
    I really think Disney is a magical place and I can't wait to bring my kids there but just not yet. I plan to bring them twice. Once when they are like 3 and 5 so they can really experience the magic and again at like 5 and 10 so they are tall enough to ride all the rides. We will also probably hit up universal etc at that point.
    But in the meantime we are planning another Florida trip soon and plan to include the zoo again, the aquarium, maybe some top golf and definitely some beach time. Florida is cheap to fly to from Eastern Canada and a great family vacation spot. 
    That said, we're also planning to pack up the kiddo and head to London for a long weekend maybe in the fall. 
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes yes with the fireworks! My dog was so scared for the longest time but he's gotten better. Back story- when DD was 2 weeks old, a truck hit our house. He was traumatized and had PTSD for a while. If I hadn't gotten home 10 minutes prior, he would have been laying on the couch right where the truck came into the house. EVERY little sound he would run and hide into our bedroom. He found a new hiding spot between our bed and the wall. Luckily no one was hurt and there wasn't any structural damage to the house but OMG what a scary experience! 
  • Options
    I love a lot of Disney movies, but I have only been once or twice as a kid.  I might go back at some point with my own kids.  I'd much rather go somewhere I've never been.  It also seems really expensive.  I am really good at finding travel deals so Disney would be a pricey trip for me.  My whole 6 day trip to Ireland wound up costing $500 -- it was $1000, but our flight was delayed and I'm getting compensated $500 for it through Airhelp.  That's my kind of trip!  ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My husband is military and gets amazing deals on Disney. It makes it a fraction of the price, so very affordable.  I've been as an adult without kids and an adult with kids. I loved going with my niece and nephews and especially going with my son.  We'll go again, but we'll go other places, too. 

The good thing about Disney is your kid can act like a kid with out people giving you the stink eye. 
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This country’s obsession with mayo needs to be stopped. I ordered a breakfast sandwich in a cafe before I catch a bus to pick up my niece. They put mayo on it! Wtf 

It’s too early for surprise mayo (I’m on west coast time)
  • Options
    I keep thinking I have UO's, but they're really FFFC's.  So, if I remember them tomorrow, you'll be hearing from me.  :D

@hkom I couldn't agree more on the Tabasco front.  When I was younger, it was all I knew, so it's what I reached for.  Now, I won't touch it...way too vinegary.  And, I like vinegar, so that says something.

RE: Disney.  I've gone once in my lifetime, in 3rd grade.  I plan to take my kids at least twice, but it definitely wouldn't be a yearly thing.  I've got my heart set on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter though...I WILL GO THERE (side note: I am a HP newbie and am only on book 4)!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Re: hot sauce, I like the type that’s habanero and carrot based. Not a specific brand, just keep an eye out for those ingredients. It’s good! 

Re: Disney/theme parks, I haven’t been to disney, but I went to universal as an adult and it was fun. Mostly I was into it for the Harry Potter stuff because to me that was like exploring another culture that I love. I drank butterbeer and went in ollivanders, and all of the other shops. I bought an interactive wand and did “spells”. I don’t value the theme park over other vacations, I equally enjoy exploring new cities or tent camping. I haven’t travelled internationally, so I can’t say whether [insert favorite country here] or Disney is a better value.
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    @tumbleweed-1 El Yucateco makes an amazing habanero-carrot one!   

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @tumbleweed-1

(re: mayo. I will put mayo on EVERYTHING AND YOU CAN’T STOP ME.)

@clbness Dude Wizarding World is so freaking cool. We went this spring and I wish we’d had more than a day there. Also yayyyy for being a first time reader! MH is FINALLY listening to them and is, of course, in love with the series.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    Wizarding World is pretty cool.  It is so commercial though, which I guess is unavoidable in a theme park.  I actually have been there twice as an adult, but only because trips I took with others brought me there.  I wouldn't have planned it on my own.  I did enjoy it though!  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes you just reminded me that I didn’t drink my celebratory non-alcoholic beer last night! I was saving it for 2cd tri (just in case, there’s a smidge of alcohol in it), but last night I was so tired post job interview and prepping my apartment for my niece coming up today (moving furniture to fit a floor bed for her & stuff) that I fell asleep on the couch at 8:30pm. Maybe I’ll drink it tonight. 

@PensiveCrayon you made me laugh because my sister sends me that gif all the time when I complain about my UO’s to her too. 
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes own it! I love my drink or three & summertime is by far the toughest time of year to give it up. The last time I was pregnant was also in the summer. I'm hoping kid #3 (potentially) is born before summer.

Re Disney: totally agree with it being overrated. I went once when I was 17 and it didn't live up to the hype to me. Granted, I was a snotty and unimpressed 17 yo I'm sure. I'd rather relax when I go on vacation & eat wonderful & copious amounts of food/booze, not stand in line in 100 degree heat.  :#

@khom I'm a tobasco eater! I live in a rural area where the stores don't offer a lot else for hot sauces, so I get Tobasco because it has the least ingredients/added salt. I do prefer habanero/carrot based hot sauces, but they are hard to get a hold of for me.
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    LLynde5 said:
    I do and I don’t understand the Disney obsession. I’d never gone to either theme park until H’s family took us to Disneyworld (right? Florida?) 6 years ago and it actually was pretty magical. The rides aren’t fantastically exciting like Cedar Point, which is what I grew up on, but the details of everything are crafted very well. 
    YESSSSSS to Cedar point!! I grew up about three hours away. It’s hard to compare any amusement park to there.  Plus put-in-bay is right there too!  Shots, shots, shots!!  I haven’t been to either for years and probably wouldn’t do more than one shot ;)

My husband says the same things about Cedar Point and Put-in-Bay. I always thought he was saying pudding bay. He grew up in Akron. Anyways, he needs to take me there one day!
  • Options
    @temmetime girl, order from amazon and throw that garbage out! Only thing it's good for is if you're making a ceasar / bloody mary (neither of which I drink or like but I make for others)

@tumbleweed-1 BOO MAYO! I hate that crap and it's on everything. I hate travelling because I basically starve since every airplane sandwich in existence has mayo or another cream based sauce. yuck.
  • Options
    The only hot sauce:

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I went to Disney World witha friend in 4th grade and it was a huge deal becasue my family did not do trips like that. I never thought about going again until we had DS. He is Mickey obsessed and would love it! I hope to take him to Disney or on one of their cruises here in a few years.

My UO: I truly do not understand the people who have to have wine or champaigne in the hospital after delivering the baby. I like to have a drink or 2 every once in awhile when not pregnant, but I do not miss it so much that I HAVE to have it the second the baby comes out.I saw someone on Instagram the other day who stopped on the way homefrom the hospital for a margurita and Mexican food. I was definately not up for that! I think I was at least 3 months PP before I had any wine with DS because I felt like I was nursing around the clock and I did not want any to get in the milk, plus I didn't need anything that would make me more tired than I already was. 
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    edited June 2018
    kristah2 said:
    @temmetime girl, order from amazon and throw that garbage out! Only thing it's good for is if you're making a ceasar / bloody mary (neither of which I drink or like but I make for others)

Yes to Amazon!  But any run-of-the-mill cayenne sauce from the store is better than Tobasco!  Even something super basic like Franks (Franks is a workhorse, don't @ me :D  )  Even for a bloody mary.  I usually use Cholula or Crystal and some pepperoncini brine in mine.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @katy0990 I agree and I’m a drinker normally. A lot less now that I have a kid but I still like to have a beer or glass or wine a few nights a week. I was so damn tired and felt like poo, alcohol was the last thing on my mind. It was several weeks before I cracked a beer, and I think I drank like half of it.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    I'm another Disney lover. My parents and grandmother are all HUGE fans. And my grandmother (mind you, she's in her late 70's) and is literally counting down the days til we take DD there. She took us as kids for the first time and is determined to take DD as well her first time. And she's only 1! But, where we're moving to is only 3 hours or less away from DW. Which will be super convenient. SO is military also so fantastic discount + close prox = DISNEY TRIPS! 
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Options
    PensiveCrayonPensiveCrayon member
    edited June 2018
    @katy0990 Hahahaha...that's going to be me! I'm really not a huge drinker -- like, I'll only have one beer/cocktail/glass of wine in one sitting -- but I like my drinks. And I feel like I need a reward for growing and pushing out a baby!

ETA @rosebud332 I remember the first time I had enough beer to make me feel tipsy after my son was born, he woke up a few hours later and I was like, "ughhhhh seriously?" That was the last time I ever did that until he was consistently sleeping through the night, ha.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @hkom cholula!! yum! We usually bring our own hot sauce when we go to all inclusive since they often just have Tabasco but the resort in the bahamas we went to has this hot sauce for every meal! Was SO HAPPY!
    We have a sauce called pain 100% and seriously one drop in a huge pot of something makes a big difference. Once H made nachos and when frying the meat put in way too much. I thought I was dying. 
    I decided I don't like that one anymore. Give me the hot but flavorful ones any day!  
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon  I like a drink or two, don’t get me wrong, but my reward is going to be ALL THE FOOD!  After I had DS, I sent someone to go get me a garbage burger from Max and Erma‘s Haha
  • Options
    katy0990 said:
    My UO: I truly do not understand the people who have to have wine or champaigne in the hospital after delivering the baby. I like to have a drink or 2 every once in awhile when not pregnant, but I do not miss it so much that I HAVE to have it the second the baby comes out.I saw someone on Instagram the other day who stopped on the way homefrom the hospital for a margurita and Mexican food. I was definately not up for that! I think I was at least 3 months PP before I had any wine with DS because I felt like I was nursing around the clock and I did not want any to get in the milk, plus I didn't need anything that would make me more tired than I already was. 
    Ummm this is me! I took a bottle of my favorite port (or actually h brought it for me) to celebrate both ds’s births at the hospital. For ds1’s birth we had friends there immediately (not for ds2, but we had moved) so we all did a cheers. I never thought of it as needing/missing the drink, but instead a celebration. Like a cheers at a wedding. I plan to do it again! 
  • Options
    @khom I don't like Franks :# but am currently hunting around on Amazon!
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker