January 2019 Moms
Options

What do you consider the start of the second trimester?

Some of us are almost there!! There is much confusion (amongst my five pregnancy apps, my doctors, my wife, and me) over when the first trimester ends and when the second trimester begins. What are your thoughts?

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

What do you consider the start of the second trimester? 91 votes

Week 13, day 1
41% 38 votes
Week 14, day 1
26% 24 votes
Some random day in the middle of week 13
27% 25 votes
When I stop vomiting like the little girl from The Exorcist
3% 3 votes
Whenever I damn well want it to
1% 1 vote
Another answer (leave in comments)
0% 0 votes

Re: What do you consider the start of the second trimester?

• Options
    Ahahahaa so true @ladystout08

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ladystout08 the doula we are hiring agrees. Although she considers full term to be 41+1. So it still pegs you somewhere mid to end of week 13. Hence all the confusion! 

• Options
    I figure at 13. I know some people think 12 but I don't until you reach 13. So two weeks for me. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    Based on my LMP, I’m 12+4, but LO measured 6 days ahead at the NT scan last week. So theoretically, if growth stayed constant, LO would be measuring 13+3 today. Can I technically be in 2nd tri today? ;) (Wishful thinking!)
  • Options
    libertymomrnlibertymomrn member
    edited June 2018
    I tend to call it 14 weeks, but mostly because it really bugs me that they count from your LMP, which means you jump to 2 weeks pregnant at the moment of conception. So I think the later one is the closest to accurate considering you’re not really pregnant for the first 2 weeks.
  • Options
    KLS123KLS123 member
    @rooonilwaazlib I'm so glad you posted this. I have been having an internal debate on when the second tri starts in my head but felt like it was a stupid question to ask. The discrepancy in answers on this thread is so validating. 
  • Options
    Mathematically I agree that it is 13.3 but I am extremely impatient for the first trimester to be OVER. So I will be pronouncing myself to be in the second trimester on Friday when I am 13 weeks.
  • Options
    13.5 because that's what my midwives go by.  Lol
  • Options
    Literally, I know it's somewhere in the middle of week 13. I would say I'm "solidly" in the second trimester at week 14, but mentally for me I consider entering week 13 to be entering the second trimester, just because. Kind of like how I consider myself a year older when I'm a few days away from my birthday. If someone a week before my birthday asks how old I am (which happens much less as I get older, thankfully) then I say i'm my upcoming new age. At 13 weeks I'm "basically in 2nd trimester"
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    Literally, I know it's somewhere in the middle of week 13. I would say I'm "solidly" in the second trimester at week 14, but mentally for me I consider entering week 13 to be entering the second trimester, just because. Kind of like how I consider myself a year older when I'm a few days away from my birthday. If someone a week before my birthday asks how old I am (which happens much less as I get older, thankfully) then I say i'm my upcoming new age. At 13 weeks I'm "basically in 2nd trimester"
    Maybe it’s because I’m old, but when someone asks me my age the day before my birthday I still don’t round up; I cling to the age I am for as long as I can!
  • Options
    I like to count 14 weeks as second tri, 28 weeks as third tri, because that leaves just 12 weeks of miserable third trimester to slog through.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    *~* DS Jan.'15 *~* DD Nov.'16 *~*
  • Options
    @sweetyjenj @libertymomrn when someone asks me how old I am I just always have to subtract the year i was born from the current year because I can never remember my age!  

• Options
    I was 30 when DD was born so now I just add 30 years to her current age when I have to think about how old I am . :D
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa member
    I like to count 14 weeks as second tri, 28 weeks as third tri, because that leaves just 12 weeks of miserable third trimester to slog through.

ALL OF THIS
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Definitely 14 weeks for my self.. although I think it’s technically 13 + 3 like others have said.. I just go by the start of week 14 is second trimester