October 2018 Moms

Re: Questions 6/15

• Any STM tried reusable nappies and inserts? I plan on using normal diapers but I'd like to be able to have reuseables ones as a back up?

• tlmilltlmill member
    @kaelynrayne we used cloth diapers for a while with both kids. We stopped because it got to be too much with me working full-time. I liked it, and it cut way down on DS’s rashes, but I hated the amount of laundry it was adding to my plate. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We use cloth diapers for DD and will for this baby as well. I love it and recommend it to everyone who asks. We have a CD thread on here, though it's been quiet for a long while.
  • Is everybody else feeling baby all over their belly? I’m feeling movement on the side, upper right and left, low middle and today even in the middle (I have an anterior placenta and that was the first time I felt her there).  People keep asking me if it’s twins and when I tell them no they all have some story about a friend that had a hidden twin (where despite ultrasounds showing only one baby, there were 2 in there).  Somebody please tell me that all the movement is normal for one because now I’m starting to question it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @purplegoldfish2 I feel that too, but I have twins so I'm no help.. I actually usually only feel them consistently in 3 spots, sometimes 4. Top, bottom, mid left closer to my belly button, and far right closer to my side. Who knows maybe one baby is Really good at hiding? 
  • @purplegoldfish2 - I’m going to go with the “trust your medical professionals” on the hidden twin thing.  Sure, it’s still possible that it could happen, but I would guess that it is far more rare now than the anecdotes would have you believe.  

And yes, with my singleton, I am feeling movement all over, especially when lying down; Blast seems to like being at the bottom, wherever the “bottom” might be.  
  • edited June 2018
    @mamabearcj I hope not! After the anatomy scan, we sold the double stroller and bought a single, not to mention that we’d have to buy a new vehicle since we both have cars. I made them do a thourough check at a couple of the early ultrasounds too, so I was pretty confident in only one until all the movement today.  I had twins the first time so I don’t know what’s normal for one baby.  Hoping somebody tells me that’s normal for 1 too!

ETA: not that twins aren’t great, I would just rather know before giving birth.
  • Thanks @knottieamusements! Glad to know one moves all over too.  This was the most movement I’ve felt so far and she was all over the place in the few minutes it was happening. I didn’t think she was big enough to hit all those spots so close together yet and started getting worried that those people may have been right.
  • @jennybean80 - That is wild.  Absolutely wild.  Also, as the patient, I’d be pissed. 
  • @jennybean80 Thanks, that’s good to know!  And how does that even happen? I know at 38 weeks the baby is big, but that’s a pretty big mistake. Hopefully the parents were able to return everything. I’d be pretty upset if I were them!
  • @purplegoldfish2 I have no idea. It was probably 7 or 8 years ago, and the OB still Briggs it up. It was such a crazy situation. I was the scrub nurse, we had a second nursery team for twins, and the doc got the baby out, reached back in and didn’t find a second. It was crazy. I’m pretty sure the parents were livid. 
  • I can't believe they wouldn't have had another doctor come in and double check. That's so crazy!!
  • chyviechyvie member
    My Singleton loves to move all over the place. I swear he's doing backflips and dancing in there! He is very strong and I feel him in different places all the time. I'm always so curious to what part of him I'm feeling?! All my ultrasounds to date show him laying horizontal but sometimes he's turned up or sometimes yes face down. 

Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Yeah, this kid is all over. He kicks my cervix and up by my bellybutton in the same minute. Don’t know if he’s just really stretched or doing backflips or something. His brother was wild, too (though not this early). I’m always curious if movement intensity/frequency in utero correlates to baby’s activity level/personality on the outside.
  • I'm feeling baby all over now.

Daaang.. That twin not twin story is crazy! I hope they got a refund on all the double purchases!
  • FTM, single, and anterior placenta. I am 24 weeks and my uterus is about an inch above by belly button. I mostly feel baby low and far right and far left. I did have one center hit (first time) this morning but was very muted so I am guessing it was a direct hard hit to the placenta. Babies move up until actual delivery. You are feeling arms, elbows, knees, feet, head, etc. I too would like to know exactly what they are bumping me with! :) 
  • Baby is all over the place here too! 
  • tlmilltlmill member
    It’s normal to feel them all over the place. I feel this baby everywhere, and it was the same with DS. They still have quite a bit of room to move at this point. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not pregnancy related per se, but a question for any STMs with toddlers. Any suggestions for where to look for a toddler bed for transitioning away from a crib? We’re planning to move DS out of his crib to prepare for baby, and don’t know where to start looking for a bed for him. 
  • @pumpkinpancake how old is your lo? My son was 2.5 when we transitioned him and we moved him into a twin, which actually worked out nicely. We’re checking Target and Walmart for a toddler bed for our daughter for when we move the baby into the crib. She’ll be around 2 when we make the move. 
  • I've been feeling baby all over too. It is for the most part down near the bottom. But sometimes in the middle, sides, and top. This morning I swear I felt both sides at once. I wish I could tell which body part was which.
  • @mommy2ane DS turned 2 in March, so he’s not quite 2.5 yet. He’s also pretty small, so while I’d love to go straight to a twin and not have to buy a toddler bed, I feel like he’d get lost in a twin. I don’t want to move him to a bed... can’t he stay my baby in a crib forever?!? 
  • I've seen people put a twin mattress, no box spring, on the floor to transition. That way you don't have to worry about them falling out. SS had a racecar bed before the divorce, once he started sleeping at my house he was on a twin.
  • Toddler beds are a waste of money, in my opinion. Our crib has a side that comes off, so we did that for a long while, with a guard rail. Then we just moved lo to a twin last week. She 3. She’s short and yeah it looks “big” but it’s really not - and now I can lay in bed with her if need be, like reading at bedtime. 

We got a great platform bed from wayfair that had ample great reviews - the Elvis platform bed- for $125 and a mattress from Walmart for $89 that had over 3000 good reviews. Because the bed doesn’t need a boxspring it’s low to the ground. She hasn’t fallen out at all yet.

I agree, we have friends who have the mattress on the floor directly for their toddlers too.

• DD will be 2 when we are going to steal her crib for this LO. I'm completely planning on just putting her mattress on the floor.
  • Is there anyone that hasn’t felt their baby move yet? I have an anterior placenta and will be 22 weeks in a couple of days and I still haven’t felt her move. I know it’s common to not feel movement until later with an AP but I’m getting anxious now!!! 
  • Heck, SS is still technically on the floor. He has a twin mattress and box spring on the floor which I feel works perfectly for him. 
  • @belo290 - I’ll be 25 weeks tomorrow, also with an anterior placenta.  I want to say I started feeling Blast move around 20-21 weeks.  But one of my coworkers also had an anterior placenta, and didn’t feel her baby until much later.  

For me, the first 2-3 weeks, I only felt Blast move when I was laying on my left side, typically early in the morning.  
  • tlmilltlmill member
    @pumpkinpancake we used an IKEA toddler bed for DD for about a year before moving her to a twin. We used a Delta toddler bed for DS for about 2 months before moving him to a twin. I wish we’d moved to a twin sooner because he’s so much more comfortable and sleeps so much better. He’s 2.5 and small as well (about 34” and 28 lbs) but the twin bed has been wonderful for him. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pumpkinpancake we did the same as @HoosOnFirst. The crib transitions so we just took off the front and put on a guardrail. Been working out great for the last couple of months for DD (18months next week). She loves having a “big girl bed” but it still has the comfort of a crib.
  • @pumpkinpancake I agree with skipping the toddler bed.  They typically don’t use them for more than a year or 2. We took the front off the cribs (with no guard rail) at home and had twin mattresses & boxsprings on the floor at FIL’s. The twin mattresses just have fitted sheets on them and we give them toddler sized blankets. We do the same thing at home now that we’ve switched them to beds. 
  • @belo290 Also anterior placenta and just hit 22 weeks. We were at the doctor yesterday and she apparently kicked the doppler hard. The doctor felt it but I didn't at all!
    I've felt a few twitches in the evening near my belly button, but that's about it (and that's been new/recent development.)
  • I agree with just putting the mattress on the ground. Some of the moms in my J17 bmb have done that with lots of success. You could also check your local Facebook marketplace for one!
  • Z moves so much, I need a bed with a rail. I bought a crib that converts, but the damn toddler rail is more expensive than a toddler bed. Luckily my parents still have my brother's old bunk bed that has rails. So we'll move one bed into Z's room when he's ready to leave the crib. When #3's ready, we'll set up the full bunk bed and Z will move to the top.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• lest12lest12 member

@pumpkinpancake - we transitioned both kids from a crib right into a twin bed at about 20 months.  I put one side of the twin against the wall and a bed rail (safety first sells them for like $20) on the other side of the bed, and then a pouf/ottoman thing at the end of the bed for them to climb up on.  They were both totally fine.

Except I ended up taking the bed rail off of DD's bed pretty quickly, she just wanted to hold on to it and jump up and down and it felt more of a risk than anything.

image        image

• Thanks for the replies about the bed transitions. Ugh, now I’m even more confused about if we should just go straight to a twin!  On one hand, it sounds nice to not have to buy a toddler bed that will only last for a little while, but on the other hand, I’m not sure that a twin bed will fit as well in his room (DS and new baby will have to share a room, so we’ll need to fit his new bed and a crib, and his room is not huge.). Eventually when new baby is ready to transition from a crib in a couple years, we’ll get bunk beds for the two of them, so I’m not sure if it’s worth getting a twin for DS now only to get bunk beds in another 2-3 years.