October 2018 Moms
Options

Cloth Diapering

Cloth Mama's unite!

I love talking cloth diapering, so here is a place for anyone thinking about CD'ing to ask questions and get some recommendations.

What works well for you, what to stay away from, and the infamous "But what do you do with the poop?!" questions!

There will be some good sales going on for Earth Day, so we could share any good deals as well!

Re: Cloth Diapering

• Options
    I am SO glad you started this, @SawyerRichardson!

There appear to be so many different kinds of cloth diapers...

Is there a way to get an insert or fold-up cloth to put inside of like...a soft shell or something? I seriously just don't understand like...logistically...how these diapers work. I just know that we'll be using them.

Tell me about these and these from Amazon. Explain them to me. I don't understand.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we cloth diaper, and will again!  We use prefolds, and using a cleaning service.  I have 8 million brands of covers, but the bum genius hook and loops have always been my fav.  

@sliztee - i have had some leaking with the alvababy covers, but my kid pees way more than your average kid.  Usually the all in one style comes with a (often but not always) micro-fiber insert that you snap in, however you are also able to use those covers with cotton/bamboo prefolds if you prefer, or if you end up using a service.  (i have a friend who does the same thing because her daughter had a weird reaction to microfiber) 
  • Options
    I will also say that even though the prefolds were cheaper, if I were to do it all again, I would go with pocket diapers simple for their ease of use.  My mom and MIL never got the hang of the Snappi to secure the prefold in place. 
  • Options
    We so wanted to cloth diaper DS, and we made it a couple of months, but we were basically battling constant diaper rash with him because he slept for too long and was getting irritated by the wetness against his skin. Since it didn’t “feel” dry like the disposables do, we would have needed to change his diapers much more often, but there was no way I was going to be waking him just to do that.  Once we switched to disposables, his diaper rash almost immediately went away, so we were happy we ended up switching. I wish we could have made it work though!
  • Options
    We used green mountain diapers prefolds and thirsties covers from when DS was about 2-8 weeks old. Then we switched to one size pocket diapers once DS was big enough to fit well- I never had good luck with microfiber inserts so we used bumgenius pockets (bought a huge lot used and just replaced the elastics) and thirsties hemp inserts. We use thirsties natural all in ones overnight. So far we love cloth diapering, my husband even thinks it’s great! I joined the Facebook group fluff love and cd science and got a wash routine from there. We’ve never had any problems with diapers not coming clean and even survived yeast! 
  • Options
    If anyone wants them, I have three Rumparooz and three Thirsty pocket diapers collecting dust in DS’s room. I think two of the Rumparooz were worn once, everything else has just been through the wash but never worn. We wanted to cloth diaper, but DS was a peanut and took forever to fit into the one size diapers. I just couldn’t get over how huge and bulky they were. Made it seem hard for him to move. I’m sure it would have worked better as he got bigger, but we just never tried again. Got used to our routine I guess. 
  • Options
    I love cloth diaparing!! And I'm in the Fluff science group on Facebook, it's an excellent resource to getting a good wash system going. We use pockets because i think it's easier to find cute cheap pockets than covers but i love covers and flats. Recieving blankets and for sack towels from target are what i use to stuff them with.  

And if your baby gets rashes from wetness, cutting up some fleece to make a liner works great. 
  • Options
    I actually really like cotton all in ones (smart bottoms and blueberry). They are some of the most expensive brands of the expensive ones (AIO) but they will be used on our 3rd kid this round and still save us tons of money. Just more of an investment. 

I did like covers and prefolds for the early days. Rumparooz newborn covers are awesome and i love the feel of the material compared to other brands. I like prefolds from green mountain diapers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wish we would have cloth diapered.  Now that this is our last kid, it seems like a waste to start now.  I use cloth pads (with my diva cup), but never pulled the CD trigger.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @mama2bofthree you always still can! I saved money with just cloth diapering one comparatively.

Edit: i love my cloth pads and diva cup! Have you started thinking about a post partum stash? Do you already have one?
  • Options
    I’m so excited this thread is here and to talk all things CD! It’s been 8 years since I had a fluffy bum to obsess over. I’m so ready to get back into it!
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • Options
    Thanks for making this! I was thinking about it today when I asked the question in DIY. I'm ready to learn it all!
  • Options
    We CD’d our oldest, but couldn’t keep up with the laundry to make it work for twins. Not sure what we’re going to do with these twins yet. We have a bunch of cute Pockets from a Canadian company, so we’ll see what happens. 
  • Options
    @mama2bofthree Cloth Diapers have surprisingly great resale value too, so you could always resell them after and make some money back!
  • Options
    I love my cloth diapers! We CD my 2year old and will CD this baby too. We use mostly Best Bottoms AI2, with a few Grovia Hybrids thrown in. My son is a super pee-er, so we use disposables overnight currently. 

I dont have a sprayer or anything. We use disposable liners and they’ve worked out great. 
  • Options
    We've been using cloth on DS  for two years and have used pocket diapers from bumgenius and hemp fitted diapers with plastic pants for night time.

We plan to use cloth again. This time we have about twenty four prefold that I have already prepped for use and plan to add more to the stash.
    Anyone else part of the cloth diapering mama's group on face book?
  • Options
    @theglitteredpterodactyl I haven’t started a PP stash just yet.  I’m a bit nervous to SOLELY use cloth pads.  Ive only used them with my cup so I am paranoid!  Plus I’ll be a RCS so now sure how I’ll handle laundry while in the hospital.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mama2bofthree ooh same for the nervousness. I think i want to plan on out once i come home but I'm not bothering with pp cloth I the hospital. I didn't bleed that much with my first so I figure I'll just see how it goes
  • Options
    @theglitteredpterodactyl have you found a brand you love?  I got a sample of a Party in My Pants, but it was a cotton one and feels like it wouldn’t be very absorbent.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @theglitteredpterodactyl have you found a brand you love?  I got a sample of a Party in My Pants, but it was a cotton one and feels like it wouldn’t be very absorbent.
    I bled so much with my first and got PP cloth for my second. I ended up bleeding way less and they were overkill but still nice to have. I got mine on Etsy, the extra long options were perfect for those unpredictable early days. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @mama2bofthree most of my stash is party in my pants. They do feel thin but they hold up really well and I've never had a leak, even when i don't feel like using my cup. I've sewn some as well with fleece backers and i don't know if id trust them out in public on a heavy day with no cup but they're super soft and comfy for lazy days at home (i used minky for the topper and flannel layers for the core, so they're suuuuper soft)
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited March 2018
    sliztee said:
    I am SO glad you started this, @SawyerRichardson!

There appear to be so many different kinds of cloth diapers...

Is there a way to get an insert or fold-up cloth to put inside of like...a soft shell or something? I seriously just don't understand like...logistically...how these diapers work. I just know that we'll be using them.

Tell me about these and these from Amazon. Explain them to me. I don't understand.
    *lurker* Those are pretty much what you said you wanted. They are pocket diapers. It's a waterproof outer with a layer of some other fabric on the inside. You then stuff absorbent material in the form of prefolds or specially made inserts into the pocket created by the inner and outer layers. There are also just covers. This is what I use. It's a diaper made out of just waterproof material. You then wrap absorbent material in the form of flats, prefolds or fitteds around your baby and put the cover over it.

For a detailed explainer, I recommend the Cloth Diapering 101 series by Jaimee Gleisner on YouTube.

@okfine1more, it's still around, but very dead. https://forums.thebump.com/categories/diapering You can find it under the Specialty section of the forums.
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing Thanks! So, if the ones I linked to on Amazon are waterproof, does that mean they won't be soft? I don't want a stiff baby butt!
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited March 2018
    sliztee said:
    @lovesclimbing Thanks! So, if the ones I linked to on Amazon are waterproof, does that mean they won't be soft? I don't want a stiff baby butt!
    I'm not sure I quite understand? What is used to make waterproof diapers nowadays is called polyurethane laminate, abbreviated to PUL. It is very soft and thin and flexible. It just fabric with the plasticy waterproof covering. The waterproofing is necessary to keep the diaper from leaking. You could always go to a fabric store so you could look at what it is. It's very different from "plastic pants" that were used when you and I or our parents were kids. I hope that answers your question? If you can, find a cloth diaper or baby store and go touch some. 

Additonally, some women use wool covers. These do not come in a pocket form. They are just a cover made of 100% wool that has been lanolized that is put over absorbent material.  
  • Options
    FTM here and we are pretty set on our decision to CD probably with AIOs since the prefolds are a little intimidating to me. How many do you all recommend getting to start out? DH has been looking online and opinions seem to vary. Yesterday he read we should get 6 dozen which seems like a lot if we will be doing laundry every other day. What's worked for the STMs as far as stash quantity? 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @jellybelly114
    For one baby plan on 8 diaper changes a day for a newborn. And for newborns you'll probably want to get newborn size. One size diapers don't fit until about 10lbs, and only once their tiny newborn chicken legs fatten up.  If you want to wash every other day, 16-20 is a good number. 
  • Options
    I currently use CDs with DS (20 months old) but I'm wondering what should I do once the new baby fits the one size diapers. Should I divide my stash?
  • Options
    @mariek312 @theglitteredpterodactyl it’s honestly overwhelming to decide which ones to get! I have searched like crazy to see if I should use cotton, flannel, minky, etc... but everything says it’s just personal preference.  But I have no clue what my personal preference is!  It seems like a lot of money to spend if I’m not sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jellybelly114
    For one baby plan on 8 diaper changes a day for a newborn. And for newborns you'll probably want to get newborn size. One size diapers don't fit until about 10lbs, and only once their tiny newborn chicken legs fatten up.  If you want to wash every other day, 16-20 is a good number. 
    From my personal experience, I'd say this is very low for every other day washing. I had 22 or 23, and it was barely enough. She'd be in the last one or second-to-last one by the time they came out of the dryer. I switched to washing every day and a half. I see a lot of recommendations for 30-36 as being a good number for every other day washing. 
  • Options
    We have 30ish and have two days in between washes. I think 20-24 would be fine for every other day. 
  • Options
    I wash every other day and have 24 prefolds and it's worked perfectly. 6 dozen just sounds insane.
  • Options
    So I have what might be a silly question: I know breastfed baby poop is water soluble so you can just chuck the diaper straight in the wash. But what about that first newborn poop, the meconium? What do you do with that?
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    This may be a weird question to ask, but I don't know many of your situations. Do you find it doable to CD when both of you work full time jobs? I'm thinking we might still use disposables for day care (not sure if they will cloth), so really we'd only be doing it in evenings, and night, and weekends.

My aunt CD with her twins for a few months, but was staying at home. She said it was tough time wise.
  • Options
    @sammierose464
    DH and I both work 40 hour weeks and cloth diaper DS. The Daycare we send him to only asked tat we provide a wet bag.

I don't find it takes up much time. I suff the pocket diapers at night while watching tv.

Talk with the Daycare about using cloth (worst they'll say is they won't do it).
  • Options
    I have 24 newborn AIO and it was barely enough for the first few months but I made it work. If you're doing AIO I'd get 24 since they are more of an investment, but if you're doing covers and prefolds which are a bit less expensive I'd get 3 dozen prefolds to give yourself some wiggle room. They are great burp cloths too so you really can't go wrong.

i worked full time and our daycare used our cloth. I chose to send AIO and already stuffed pocket diapers to keep it simple for them. I've heard of many daycares agreeing to CD after they've seen how easy many kinds are now. Definitely ask this question early to see if they'll do it and on what terms. I will say the only annoying part was later on when my kiddo ate real food I'd have to go through the wetbag and find the poop diapers to spray each night. Yuck, but doable. 

As for cloth diapering two kids, there's actually no reason they can't share the same stash. With our one size diapers I kind of had an idea of which diapers for which kid so I didn't have to constantly change the rise snap setting but I washed them all together. 

• Options
    YAY! I LOVE cloth diapering!!! Thanks for starting this thread! 

We started CDing our DD right after the meconium poop and she's almost 17mo now. No regrets. Hubby was all for it for saving money. But then when the pooped changed after DD started solids, he had second thoughts. Haha. He toughed it out though and we split diaper duty 50/50 and diaper laundry about 50/50 too! 

@mytrueloves -meconium can ruin cloth diapers, so we just stayed in disposables until it was all out of her system. And yes, breastfed babies poop is water soluble- so we just tossed them all in the washer. When the poop changed when we started solids, we started to spray them out. Requirement for us was a spray shield, along with the sprayer. 

@sliztee - I actually have the Nora's nursery ones. I just decided to give them a shot. I really like them a lot. I havent had any issues with them at all. They seem to be a knock off of the Alva brand which can typically be cheaper, but these have been completely fine for us. They are pocket diapers and I purchased nicer inserts to go in them. I got these.  I also have bumgenius and LOVE them. I have a few Fuzzibunz too, but I dont like them as much as any of the others I have. We did a few prefolds and covers when DD was a newborn, but I just didnt like them at all, so I didnt get them for when she outgrew NB ones. We just have one size pockets now. 

@jellybelly114 We do diaper laundry every other day and ever now and then can stretch out laundry one more day. We have about 30-35 diapers. 6 dozen is insane. I definitely dont think you need that many!

@sammierose464 Hubby and I both work 40 hours a week (sometimes more) and find it very doable. We just plan to start diaper laundry when one of us gets home from work since the cycles take awhile and then they have to hang dry. We have 30-35 just in case something happens and diaper laundry doesnt get done one day- then we'll still have enough for daycare. We are in NC and daycares are actually required to do cloth here! Our daycare has been great (you will need to teach the teachers how to use them and get a good fit) and only ask that we bring a wet bag :D 

@tinattt23 I might be interested! With another on the way, I want to add to our stash. How much do you want for them?