October 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bath Time

Let's talk bath time!

Infant/toddler baths, toys, thermometers, spout covers. Anything related to bath time.

Image result for bath time gif

Re: Product Spotlight: Bath Time

• Options
    cjx95cjx95 member
    We don't have a tub so I put this on my registry so we can at least wash babies anywhere. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2MQ0EQ?colid=1PHESZF2D5WS2&coliid=I1VMWORV0I9SCY&ref=br_mb_ov_item_detail

I Might look into one of those flower cushions for the sink when babies get bigger but idk if those can get like really clean with all the water Sitting in them??
  • Options
    DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited June 2018
    For when he’s tiny, we have this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Precious-Planet-Whale-Tub/dp/B0018Z8CN8

When the girls were teeeeny tiny newborns we put a washcloth behind their heads for cushion. We use dove sensitive soap bars, and head & shoulders for shampoo. Got in the habit of the head & shoulders to treat their cradle cap and now it’s just what we use.

ETA: all the spout covers we tried fell off or were removed by determined children. We’re just careful with them. Thermometers are silly; put your hand in the water.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mamabearcj I reaaaaally wanted one of those flower things, but I read that they get really heavy and are very hard to wring out/dry out
  • Options
    cjx95cjx95 member
    @kiwi2628 I wonder if they can be thrown in the dryer?? Im going to keep looking into them because I really want one as well!
  • Options
    I'll take a picture of the one I'm borrowing from a friend and the insert she had.

I have a thermometer and a spout cover on my registry, but i'm not sold on them - STMs your input is appreciated.

I also registered for some bath toys for when he's older.
  • Options
    cjx95cjx95 member
    I wasn't sure if I should register for bah toys or not but now I'm thinking I might as well and if someone wants to get them they Will! 
    Also registered for burts bees baby shampoo and body wash and lotions, I'm a big fan of burts bees(:
  • Options
    I have this one and it's ok, but I don't love it. I don't like that you have to fill up the entire bathtub for this tiny baby. It feels like a waste. If I didn't already have this one I'd probably get one similar to what @DunkinDecaf posted.

Angelcare Bath Support, Aqua https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VWVS14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_24ZfBbA5JRY2B
  • Options
    We had the fisher price tub that transitions from the infant sling to baby tub to the sitting seat. Used the sling and the tub with the insert until about 6/7 months he started trying to use it to stand/climb out of it. Then we moved to the big tub. Non-slip mat. Whale spout cover (skiphop I think?). Never had a thermometer. Just felt the water. 

I liked the cheapo target baby wash clothes for soft newborn skin. Now I like aiden and anias one and some others I have no idea where they came from. A little thicker and scrubbiest for dirty toddler. He outgrew the hooded newborn towels around 9 months and we had to buy the big kid ones. He’s been fine with any baby soap, though I’ve mostly stuck to Aveeno. 
  • Options
    I got the flower for a present last time and used it once. I just preferred the little plastic tub. Bath time was the only thing that made my baby happy for the first 2 months of his life. He was so fussy but when I put him in his little tub and he was so chill! We just got it back from a friend who borrowed it and he was so excited to see it again!
  • Options
    Question- why do I need a spout cover? 
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 when DS started trying to stand up in the tub, he always got super close to hitting his head on it. 
  • Options
    We had the blue tub with the infant sling, and used that until he could sit up on his own. We have a meat thermometer ( :D) that we just stick in the water real quick to make sure it’s not too warm - I like my baths super hot so sometimes my gauge can be off. Spout cover is the blue whale from Skip Hop I think - that thing has never come off of ours. 
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 We have a no standing in the tub rule (which I’m amazed has actually worked) and DS has still whacked his head on the whale multiple times launching himself after toys. They can also prevent burns if the spout gets hot while the water is running through it. 
  • Options
    DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited June 2018
    kiwi2628 said:
    Question- why do I need a spout cover? 
    You don’t.

edited because that sounded bitchier than I meant. But anyway we’ve never used one. We’re just careful to keep the kids away or cover it with a hand if someone looks like they’re about to take a header into it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We had the fisher price whale bathtub. It’s pretty basic but it worked for us.
    We never had a spout cover or thermometer, so no input on those.
    Seeing bath toys cut open grossed me out with the mold growing inside so the only toys we had were open cups that could dry completely or completely closed toys. Skip hop makes bird shaped cups that come in sets of 3 that worked great for rinsing hair.  My boys also loved the B. brand boat toy in the bath. The boat itself was pretty big and often didn’t go in the tub, but all the toys that went with it went in.  The fish were favorites.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    We used a Summer Infant bath sling for DD. We used the Angelcare bath support for DS. We’ll buy another one of those two for this baby. 

We’ve never used a spout cover. Both of my kids pretty much stay away, although DD does like to rinse her hair under it (but she’s 4 now so I feel like it’s fine). 

We’ve also never used a thermometer. I just gauge it myself. 

We didnt use bath toys toys until the kids were older (like a year old) but they both love the foam letters. That’s pretty much all they play with in the tub. 

We have used the baby washcloths for each of them when they’re little, just because they’re a bit softer. We don’t use baby towels though - they’re not very absorbent or thick. We just use regular bath towels. They don’t need anything fancy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @purplegoldfish2 agreed regarding toys that squirt or get water trapped in them - so gross. DS is perfectly happy with his cups and mini beach ball and his foam fish that he sticks to the walls of the tub. 
  • Options
    So I've had 2 infant bathing devices and I LOVED this large sponge I got for when they're itty bitty! You fill it up with nice warm water and then bath time doesn't involve as much water but works well! (I use it in the kitchen sink :) ) I actually like to use regular adult wash clothes better than baby wash clothes. I get the charisma kind from Costco. I also like to use regular adult towels. The baby ones are grown out of really quickly. I used to have a thermometer and found thag my baby liked temps that the thermometer said were too hot. So eff that lol 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    @mamabearcj That's the exact tub we had for DD.  We have a double size shower instead of a tub at home so it got a ton of use and I finally threw it away a few months ago now that DD out grew it.  I thought we'd be able to save it for babe number two but I couldn't get it as clean as I wanted anymore.  I think this time were going to go with this one: https://www.target.com/p/the-first-years-sure-comfort-deluxe-newborn-to-toddler-tub-with-sling/-/A-53248948  
  • Options
    Use this mesh tub until they could sit up.  I hated the bulkiness of the other tubs and finding a place for it.  This one even travels well if needed - i.e. beach/lake. After sitting we just went to the regular tub. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Deluxe-Baby-Bather/dp/B003BTXSCE/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528290933&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=bathtub+infant&th=1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    krzyriverkrzyriver member
    edited June 2018
    We love ours! We started using it when Z was just a few days old and still use it at 21 months. I love that helped him sit up when he was still learning and the hook that lets me store it in the shower. https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Sling-Seat-Multi-color/dp/B00F2MQ0EQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1528292170&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=fisher+price+infant+tub&psc=1

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @Lisa3379 I have to use a meat thermometer for my baths now, because apparently I'm used to taking 115F+ baths. Soooo I will be getting a bath thermometer so I don't have to keep using the meat one lol.
  • Options
    @krzyriver that was one of the 'tubs' we were looking at! Didn't know it had an option to hang in the shower for storage!
  • Options
    @mamabearcj I have heard so much hate for those flower mat sink things. They never dry and you can't wash them from what I heard - eww eww eww huge chances of mold!  (not sure if they can go in the dryer). So many wanted them badly and then hated them. 
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth Yes and it's amazing! We literally had zero storage/closets in the old house. We kept it in the shower 24/7. We didn't even bother to take it out when we showered because it wasn't really in the way.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    lest12lest12 member

We had a spout cover for DS when he was little.  It was always slipping off, and then he started pulling it off, so it was kind of a waste for us.  Now I just put a facecloth over the spout which I am sure does nothing in terms of protecting my kids, but makes me feel better.

Has anyone used anything like this?

https://www.target.com/p/summer-infant-174-deluxe-baby-bather-blue/-/A-13933368

With both other kids I had the whale-of-a-tub and it was good, but just took up a lot of room... now we have potties and step stools and space is a little more limited so I thought I would give this a whirl.  Plus once the baby is a little bigger I can use it in the tub with DD maybe? 

Like @sawyerrichardson said I'm not crazy about having to fill up the big tub for the little baby though.

image        image

• Options
    @lest12, someone else shared that but from amazon... so the default color that pops up is different. can't remember who but from what I remember they said they liked it!
  • Options
    For those asking about the thermometers, my mom bought us this rubber duck that has a sensor on the bottom that tells you if the water is too hot. I tend to make the water too hot so it was nice being able to quickly check the bottom of the duck. Bonus: I'm pretty sure it was less than $5 and it also doubles as a bath toy. 

For those of you who are worried about chemicals in the baby soap, I've only used Shea Moisture brand on DD. It is more expensive, but one bottle of the baby shampoo/body wash lasted us over a year. I use their lotion on DD too and I really like it, but I would probably recommend getting the little tub of lotion and not the pump. The lotion is pretty thick so it's really hard to get it all out of the pump at the end. There is also a free phone app called Think Dirty where you can scan beauty products and it will rate them based on how "dirty" the ingredients are. Basically, if it's a 10 you are using poison. (I'm really not a hippie, I just was super paranoid about what went on my daughter's skin when she was born.)
  • Options
    We had this tub for when DS was little - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067EH7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ft.fBb688NXS2

It was cheap ($20), and did the job. He hated baths as a baby, so it was basically always us just trying to get through it as fast as possible. Glad I didn’t spend more on a more expensive one. We started out by putting the little tub inside our normal bathtub, but quickly realized it was much easier to just put the little tub on the kitchen counter next to the sink so we didn’t have to bend over and crowd around the bathtub. 

As for toys, we have the boon stacking boats set, which DS loves. No place for water to get stuck, and they’re fun for him to play with. We also have the green toys tugboat that I use for rinsing him off and he plays with otherwise. 

Re: the spout cover, it’s true that you don’t “need” it, but we found it’s nice to have. We have the whale one from skip hop, and it’s never come off or had issues.

For soap/shampoo, we use Babo botanicals moisturizing baby shampoo and wash, and I LOVE LOVE it. It smells soooo nice, and is super gentle on his skin. (Also not bath related, but I’ll give a shout out here to babo botanicals diaper cream as well!)

• Options
    zwink1zwink1 member
    edited June 2018
    RE the blooming baths: I actually asked my sister about hers because I wanted to know whether I should register for it, and she loves it. She used it for both kids and now that they're too big for it, they use it as a floor cushion. She never had issues drying it out, though I didn't ask her for specifics yet. I think it's just one of those things (like most baby stuff) that's a matter of personal preference.

RE Shea Moisture: that's also what I've registered for for soap/lotion because I use their products and love them. I was reading reviews on the thickness of the lotion and people having trouble getting it out of the pump, and a couple people said the easy solution was to swap the tops. Put the pour spout from the wash on the lotion and the pump from the lotion on the wash, and everything works great, apparently.

RE scoping out ingredients in bath products: check out EWG's skin deep database for in depth info on products and ingredients. https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/#.WxgAXslOm7M
  • Options
    @zwink1 I so needed that tip about the Shea Moisture lotion lid. How did I never thing of that?! You just saved me a lot of lotion! Switching them as soon as I get home.
  • Options
    @lest12 we used that in the sink for quite a while when DD was little. Worked really well and made bath time super quick.

after that we had an inflatable tub that sits in your tub (just so we had a smaller contained space with soft sides since she was starting to stand but didn’t quite have her footing 100% of the time)

When we transitioned to regular tub we have a grippy mat on the bottom, no spout cover (she doesn’t go near it anyways), and never had a thermometer. 

Caution about soft bath toys or squirt ones, don’t put every single one in the tub. If a poop happens you might be able to clean some plastic ones, but the soft and squirt ones usually just end up in the trash. We rotate toys every few weeks.

Also! This might be for when you have a toddler but color bath drops are amazing!! DD LOVES the color water and it doesn’t make a mess (like I thought it would).
  • Options
    pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited June 2018
    @BabyRobbinsAdventure oh god, I never thought about poop happening during a bath. Bathing in dirty poo water....*Shudders* 
  • Options
    @jemmerjams We has our first every bathtub poop last night at 17 months. I thought we might escape it! Re-washed DS in our shower. Tossed all soft/squirt toys (we toss regularly anyways to avoid mold). Gonna try and sterilize the plastic cups/buckets. Bath mat is trash (it’s old and we had a replacement ready to go anyways). Need to make DH bleach tub today before next bath. Ugg. So much work. 
  • Options
    @tinattt23 oh nooooo...so sorry that happened to you!
  • Options
    @acciocoffee is that the stuff made by ulta? or can i have a link to it? would like to add it to my registry! :) 

• Options
    @SweetSweetTooth I buy it at Target! This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BT45TP6?colid=1WZ765MLD1UIA&coliid=I3T3YUJPAJMDH5&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link

They also have a lavender one that smells really good. I tend to buy whichever is on sale. 
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    edited June 2018
    @acciocoffee This is the lavender one you're referring to?
  • Options
    @sliztee That's the one!