Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
Angel "Violet" - March 2022
Baby Dove due March 2023

Re: UO Thursday (5/31)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bel194-

Not a flame.  Definitely.  

My comment on that is that there are day care programs that are only half a day or 2-3 days a week that those parents should be looking for, rather than a full time program.  

I checked into a couple of the programs through local umm... we’ll say churches, for lack of a more inclusive word... and none of them were appropriate for my needs as a full-time employee and mother.  This made me sad, because those programs/organizations demonstrably have values consistent with what I want my child to learn.  But I will find other ways to expose them to those values.  
  • Options
    @jynjer91 me too! I'm also allergic, so that doesn't help. #teamdog
  • Options
    I have a cat and a dog.  I love most cats. I hate most dogs. 

I love my dog.  

Don’t ask.  He’s mine.  I wanted him even though I don’t like dogs.  And he’s mine.  
  • Options
    jynjer4jynjer4 member
    @mytrueloves I cannot be shamed by a Winchester! Especially Dean  <3 I just get distracted!
  • Options
    rc-colarc-cola member
    Team CATS forever. Though I also like dogs.

Since the gauntlet was thrown with cats I feel that I can finally admit here that I hated the Harry Potter movies.  Loved the books though!!
  • Options
    rc-colarc-cola member
    @jemmerjams totally. That and I don’t know, acting classes? The first three movies were painful. And why so many cuts from the book but then minute long shots of hedwig flying?!? We get it. She’s a bird.
  • Options
    bel194bel194 member
    @bel194-

Not a flame.  Definitely.  

My comment on that is that there are day care programs that are only half a day or 2-3 days a week that those parents should be looking for, rather than a full time program.  

I checked into a couple of the programs through local umm... we’ll say churches, for lack of a more inclusive word... and none of them were appropriate for my needs as a full-time employee and mother.  This made me sad, because those programs/organizations demonstrably have values consistent with what I want my child to learn.  But I will find other ways to expose them to those values.  
    I guess I wasn't so much worried about being flamed, I was just hoping to not spark of working mom vs. sahm debate (I've been both and they both have their unique challenges and special kinds of mom guilt).  As for the part time programs, that really sucks that you weren't able to find one that fit your needs. We ended up finding a part-time one for DD that we really liked and offered wrap around care, so while it works with my full-time schedule, we are paying a lot more than we would with a standard full-time daycare spot. 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    bel194bel194 member
    Yeah I guess I see daycare and preschool as two different things.  I totally agree that at certain point, kids do need socialization and to be around adults that aren't their parents.  It seems like there are several preschool options out there (this may vary from place to place, obviously).  I was thinking more of of the under 24 month traditional daycare spots that are so hard to find and typically have long waitlists.  Probably should have clarified that in the beginning- sorry if I offended anyone! 
  • Options
    Yup... while I respect the UO, and you’re obviously entitled to it, I’m very excited to put DS in part time day care this December - a spot that we reserved for him 6 months ago. He’ll benefit from it, and I’ll get a slight breather three days a week while I’m taking care of his little brother. And yeah, random meet ups at the park don’t provide all that much socialization - or help me recharge and save my sanity. 
  • Options
    Eh, the options for SAHM (or WAHM) or not nearly the same as daycare level socialization. Our local mom’s group meets maybe 2-3 times a week for a couple hours at random times and places. We’re lucky to be able to make it to one event a week (especially when everyone is working around naps). A lot different than consistently socializing for multiple hours multiple days a week. We plan on putting DS in parting daycare/preschool hopefully a bit before #2. I work at home and can’t posibly juggle them both and still work. We have a part time nanny, but I’d rather DS go socialize/learn than just have more nanny time. 
  • Options
    Z was in daycare 1 day a week purely for socialization. No shame. I'm not a SAHM, but my mother watches him for free. She needed a break. Being home with a kid 24/7 is hard. Having a kid in your home 40 hours a week when you're older is hard. Everyone is entitled to utilizing those openings. Z gets socialization other places now, including his soccer classes. That's 45 minutes once a week. He really needs more than that as he is a very social, high energy child. Unfortunately I can not afford it right now. If I can before he starts school, he'll be back in daycare 1-2 days a week. Same for #3.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @lest12 I agree. I like the show anyway, but I wouldn't want my kid or teen watching it without a serious discussion on why it's irresponsible first.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @jemmerjams they tried giving him green contacts and he turned out to be allergic. There is one scene in the first movie where he has them in (Hogwarts Express I think) but that’s it. They could at least have picked an actress for Lily who had similar eyes to Daniel Radcliffe... 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @lest12 I’m not one to get worked up about how a show portrays issues like that. Season 1 I thought was fine. Season 2 was meh until the last few episodes. But then it drove even me nuts. Like seriously, everyone in this show learned nothing. It’s one thing for characters to do the wrong thing and learn from their mistakes. But they just keep being stupid. And when you’re dealing with some seriously heavy and very currently relavent issues, they at least need a character who is learning to do the right things. DH and I stayed up finishing up the last couple episodes last week, thinking the good part had to be coming. Then we stayed up another hour ranting about it.  
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    @lest12 I agree. I like the show anyway, but I wouldn't want my kid or teen watching it without a serious discussion on why it's irresponsible first.

@mytrueloves Right?  I didn't 'not like' the show, I actually got really into it... but at the end of the day there was something about it that didn't sit right with me.  I thought it was romanticizing a lot of things that shouldn't be romanticized.

Also, (possible spoiler alert?) if anyone ever did to my son what was done to Clay in his tape, I would be out of my mind. 

image        image

• Options
    lest12lest12 member
    tinattt23 said:
    @lest12 I’m not one to get worked up about how a show portrays issues like that. Season 1 I thought was fine. Season 2 was meh until the last few episodes. But then it drove even me nuts. Like seriously, everyone in this show learned nothing. It’s one thing for characters to do the wrong thing and learn from their mistakes. But they just keep being stupid. And when you’re dealing with some seriously heavy and very currently relavent issues, they at least need a character who is learning to do the right things. DH and I stayed up finishing up the last couple episodes last week, thinking the good part had to be coming. Then we stayed up another hour ranting about it.  

Again, spoiler alert.

Right?  I haven't gotten that far, but I thought there was some hope with how Clay handled things... but at the same time, it made me angry and I thought that was another irresponsible way to go about it.  A 17 year old kid shouldn't have to be doing that.

image        image

• Options
    @knottieamusements I don’t think that’s what’s she’s arguing, either, but she did kinda equate the kind of socialization kids can get through day care with that through play dates and mom meet ups, which isn’t true, in my opinion. 

I get the frustration of looking for day care. 
  • Options
    @mytrueloves - Yup, that too.  

I think that particular bit didn’t bother me as much because I read the books as an adult, and recognize that we let a lot of authors take liberties in romantic fiction.  

But yes, I completely see your point- especially since Edward is an 80yr old man (or whatever)- he just masquerades as a teenager- which now that I think about it is even worse.  Eww.  
  • Options
    Twilight and 50 shades...especially 50 shades the movie. I do not understand how people got through the first book/movie, let alone the rest. They were AWFUL
  • Options
    bel194bel194 member
    Lisa3379 said:
    @knottieamusements I don’t think that’s what’s she’s arguing, either, but she did kinda equate the kind of socialization kids can get through day care with that through play dates and mom meet ups, which isn’t true, in my opinion. 

I get the frustration of looking for day care. 
    I just want to say before I drop it that I never said anything about mom groups or playdates or bringing your kid to the park for socialization, so I'm not sure where that came from.  There are other curriculum-based programs out there to bring young children to that aren't daycares. But yes, like @knottieamusements said, I was speaking more to the structural issue of child care. 
  • Options
    I enjoyed Twilight when I was younger... but I was still an adult and could recognize the problematic behavior. I would never let my young child read it. Don't get me started on 50 Shades of Grey. I know the author from my days of "hanging out" (online) with people who wrote Twilight fanfic. I honestly don't even remember the story, I just remember it was awful and that she turned out to be a B*#$%! Lol

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @kiwi2628 UGH I hate 50 Shades! I read the bookstore to see what all they hype was about and hated every minute of it. But once I start something I can't not finish it. I honestly really didn't find that it was that kinky either. Big disappointment.
  • Options
    It’s funny- I joined my local kink community just about the time the first 50 Shades movie came out.  Everyone assumed I joined because of the movie, but I had been reading kinky erotica for years and didn’t even bother with 50 Shades.  (I read the Amazon book reviews and realized that I would hate the book for some of the same technical reasons I hate Twilight- those reasons aren’t listed above because they have to do with poor writing rather than content.)
  • Options
    @bel194 I guess I’m not familiar with any curriculum-based programs for 1-2 year olds that aren’t day cares/preschool-type places, so I made an assumption that play groups is what you meant. Apologies. 
  • Options
    I liked twilight a lot but also read it a kid, Listening to you guys talk about it points out a lot I never even realized!! I also the  Love Harry potter movies but I've never read the books... 

My UO I hate mustard, think its disgusting and too yellow...