September 2018 Moms

Symptoms 5/27

Re: Symptoms 5/27

• @nlc8424
    that helps in your explanation and also realizing it is probably normal at this point.  Swollen is a good term for it.  I also drink a lot of water, I know it is good for you but I cannot keep feeling like I have to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes! (or maybe I will get use to it?)

• @Redpuma119
    I teach primarily two different types of classes, I teach a class called Bodystep which is cardio step, but not like 1980's step.  It is pretty athletic, a lot of jumping, burpees, etc.  I have dialed back the intensity a bit but I might need to dial back a bit more.  
    I also teach Bodypump, which is a high rep weight lifting class.  

• Loading the player...
  • Is it normal to feel so darn exhausted at 6-7 p.m. almost every day? I nearly fall asleep reading to the kids at their bedtime. It's so depressing to me - there is still so much daylight left and all I want to do is go to bed.
  • Hand and foot swelling decided to appear today (first day I wore sandals too...super cute). And it isn't helping that our office is 77 with 72% humidity. Call me melodramatic, but I feel like I'm going to die if it's like this all summer. 
  • @Patience7150 - That's hot for inside! I'd be miserable if it was like that in my office. I much prefer the freeze us out temps we're usually stuck with - at least then I can just put a sweater on!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • stothistothi member
    edited May 2018
    @Patience7150 anything over 75° makes me insane this pregnancy. And I live in the desert where it's hot all the dang time and I'm used to it, but pregnant me can NOT deal with even a tiny bit of "heat." I get nauseous and raging and just insane. Last time like 71/72° was the hottest I could handle and mostly kept the house around 67ish°. I wanted it under 65 but my husband, guests and pets were dying so I tried to compromise around 70°. Our electric bill was not pretty over the summer.
  • Felt like I was going to die outside today due to heat. 105 heat index right now, was worse earlier. Feet and hands swelled almost immediately. Only reason I was out was because Max wanted to play outside since we no longer have neighbors. I can't wait to have a fenced backyard for her to play in unsupervised. 

Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• stothistothi member
    @SkilledSailor I'm not sure, but it sure does feel like little buddy squishes up over on the right side. I get a lopsided bump when he does.
  • klj0228klj0228 member
    @adirat the doctor told me today that I should just be prepared for it to be like this remainder of my pregnancy. I told her I had already told myself it would be that way, but hearing it from her just sealed the deal. I hate you are still so nauseas and sick. Maybe your provider can offer some other type of test. It sounds like no matter what it is if it’s sweet it makes you sick. 
  • @stothi Haha yes to the lopsided bump! 
  • @SkilledSailor I had to wean myself off of Unisom awhile back. I was having some bad reactions. It did help with the sickness but just wasn't worth it. I think that's one of the reasons why I still get sick. Polly is definitely more centered. Ob confirmed that her kicking is not the reason for my rib pain.

I have been taking some warm baths in the evening and doing some water exercises with my legs to help with some joint pain. Tylenol doesn't touch it and nowadays the medicine makes me sick. Nothing has tasted worse than throwing up Tylenol gel caps. 

• @klj0228 I still get sick too, mostly in the mornings. I was able to hold the drink down. It was like Gatorade. I did bring snacks that don't cause me to get sick to the office, so as soon as the blood was drawn, I could eat. I really hope it goes well for you. 

• @smsaulino Me too! I have thrown up every Tylenol I have taken this pregnancy! 
  • tpecitpeci member
    Aw I'm bummed to hear about you ladies still struggling with nausea, it is easily the symptom I most hated :( I was throwing up a lot the first 14-15 weeks and everyone kept telling me to have ginger in any and all forms and I just nodded at them. I already had tried every possible form of ginger and I can attest it tasted as bad on its way out regardless, without any good effect. And that's ginger.... I don't want to imagine Tylenol or other meds... courage!! We're past the halfway point :)
  • adiratadirat member
    klj0228 said:
    @adirat the doctor told me today that I should just be prepared for it to be like this remainder of my pregnancy. I told her I had already told myself it would be that way, but hearing it from her just sealed the deal. I hate you are still so nauseas and sick. Maybe your provider can offer some other type of test. It sounds like no matter what it is if it’s sweet it makes you sick. 
    @klj0228 Ugh, I know. I'm kind of resigned to it now but gah what a nightmare. Sorry to hear you are in the same boat :( I sent my doctor an email to see if something else is an option so we'll see... 

• stothistothi member
    @SkilledSailor I don't like lanolin so much. Too thick and cloggy. I like Earth Mama Nipple Butter or the nipple cream from Bamboobies (I don't remember what it's called, but it's what I actually have and use right now.)
  • jumpy57jumpy57 member
    @SkilledSailor if you try lanolin I liked the brand in the purple tube much more than the Medela brand. I do think they worked the same but the Medela smelled funny
  • stothistothi member
    @SkilledSailor I felt like the biggest dumbass cause before I had my first, I bought a vegetarian mom to be friend of mine lanolin without thinking. I just knew nursing moms needed boob stuff but didn't have first hand experience. Totally didn't even think about what lanolin is!!! Oops. She's not vegan so it wasn't as big an oops, but it's still pretty oops. 
  • @stothi Aw that's sweet that you still remember that. I'm sure she didn't think twice about it! Just because we're vegetarian/vegan doesn't mean we expect others to remember all that entails or go out of their way to accommodate. She also might not have known. I didn't know what lanolin was when I posted an hour ago, haha. 
  • The lansinoh brand (purple tube) is definitely better, but I second Earth Momma. Also, I think I've found it at Walmart and target previously, the Earth Momma that is. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • nlc8424nlc8424 member
    I have a question for STMs: if you had swelling with your first pregnancy (normal swelling, not pre-e swelling), did it get worse later on during pregnancy? So if you started experiencing minor swelling in your hands and feet around this time (22-26 weeks), would the swelling be more pronounced when you're, say, 36-40 weeks?

I have some minor swelling in my fingers and very minor in my feet/ankles and we've just had our first stretch of 80-90 degree weather. Wondering if it'll get worse or stay the same?
  • stothistothi member
    The lansinoh brand (purple tube) is definitely better, but I second Earth Momma. Also, I think I've found it at Walmart and target previously, the Earth Momma that is. 
    They have the Boob Ease by Bamboobies (I remembered the name) at Target too. It's not vegan since it has beewax in it but I know rather a few vegans who are actually ok with some honey or beewax, so maybe it's still ok? Just depends on where one's line in the sand is.
  • @stothi Oh good to know that's at Target! I had just read good things about that brand. I'm generally ok with bee products. 
  • I only ever had minor swelling generally heat and dehydration related. It was slightly worse at the end for me, but then again, I delivered by 36 weeks, so maybe I'm not the best judge.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @nlc8424 I was pregnant the same time last time but a week later. My swelling started in my fingers and hands and by the end of my pregnancy I literally only wore crocs and could feel my feet jiggle when i walked. However I am a nurse and at the time was on my feet allllll day so if you aren't on your feet so much maybe it won't be so bad...but if so....expect the jiggle (btw i didnot have GD or high bp)
  • In reference to nipple butters.. I read that you should stick with one since baby will have a preference for that particular taste. Truth? And did you wipe it off if baby wanted to nurse?
  • jumpy57jumpy57 member
    If your hands are swelling get some compression gloves! They look dorky but I really thought they helped. Got mine at Walgreens. Once I got swelling it stayed rather consistent
  • @nlc8424 I remember taking pictures of my feet last time when they got so bad. I felt the slightest twinge of swelling the other day and searched through my photos to figure out when it started last time. Bad bad picture worthy swelling started at 34 weeks for me. I am terrified for the bad swelling and am praying it stays away this time. 
  • +1 for Earth Mama - I much preferred their nipple butter over lanolin. And it was always available at my Target if I needed more. It's in the feminine hygiene section at ours, not baby related products.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • nlc8424 said:
    I have a question for STMs: if you had swelling with your first pregnancy (normal swelling, not pre-e swelling), did it get worse later on during pregnancy? So if you started experiencing minor swelling in your hands and feet around this time (22-26 weeks), would the swelling be more pronounced when you're, say, 36-40 weeks?

I have some minor swelling in my fingers and very minor in my feet/ankles and we've just had our first stretch of 80-90 degree weather. Wondering if it'll get worse or stay the same?
    My swelling was all in my lower legs, feet, and ankles. It started off not that bad late 20's/early 30's weeks and went down overnight but progressed to pretty bad around the clock the closer I got to my due date.

Just like all other symptoms, it will vary mom to mom, but in my experience yes, swelling did get worse later on. Only time will tell if it remains the same for you or gets worse as well.

And unfortunately for me my early swelling has started already so it looks like I'll be dealing with the same thing but 1-2 months earlier.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • stothistothi member
    I'm one of the pre-e excessive swelling folk from last time so I can't comment on normal swelling cause I don't know, but this pregnancy I'm just now at 22/23 weeks noticing some slight swelling in my fingers, feet and ankles. I totally took pictures the other night when they weren't swollen so I'd have something to compare to later on.
  • stothi said:
    I'm one of the pre-e excessive swelling folk from last time so I can't comment on normal swelling cause I don't know, but this pregnancy I'm just now at 22/23 weeks noticing some slight swelling in my fingers, feet and ankles. I totally took pictures the other night when they weren't swollen so I'd have something to compare to later on.
    Quoting because this is always a good thing to reinforce.

Swelling can be nothing or it can be tied to something. I had a lot of swelling so the doctor watched my BP and urine for proteins closely and it turns out for me it was just a lot of swelling. But they kept a close eye on it since it can be a sign of blood clots (generally more sudden) or pre-e like for @stothi.

With that said, while my BP was perfectly fine throughout pregnancy it did spike after delivery. To the point that they were debating whether or not to let me go home the day I ended up being discharged. It wasn't bad enough to need mag, but I had to go to the OB for weekly BP checks until it returned to my normal levels.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16