October 2018 Moms
Options

Infection Update

Update: I spent another day at the hospital trying to figure out what the infection is and game plan. I saw my surgeon first at 9am and he apologized for his residents not addressing it sooner and dismissing it twice. I then saw the infectious diseases center and they assessed it and told me to come back at 3 pm to see the main Dr. as it's  
serratia marcescens infection and difficult to get rid of because it is "sticky"

During the time I had to waste I popped in on my OB to give her an update and she said to treat me like I wasn't pregnant and make sure the infection is gone asap as it is the greatest risk at this point to me and the baby. The risks associated with surgery or antibiotics are minor compared to me going septic.

I then saw the Dr. at ID and he said he thinks that the only way to get rid of the infection completely is to remove the hardware in my shoulder and clean out the entire area. He also wants to see if it got to my bone or not. 

So right now they have me on more targeted antibiotics for 2 weeks and I will have a follow up with each of them to asses next steps. Surgery likely won't happen for 3 more weeks or more until I'm at least 23 weeks and the baby is viable. 

Not great news and I'm not prepared to go through the pain of surgery / recovery again but it looks like my best option. 

Will keep you all updated and I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers. 
Me 33 DH 41
TTC since 2016
Due: October 12, 2018

Re: Infection Update

• Options
    I’m sorry you have to deal with that! I know it’s not the same, but I ended up having surgery at 17w during my last pregnancy to cauterize my nose and everything went smooth. I was under general anesthesia and they monitored baby as much as they could.
  • Options
    I hope they can get you healed and on the mend soon. I'm sorry you are dealing with this! Hopefully DH can pick up more around the house as you need to heal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh holy crap this news sucks. I mean it's great that they have a game plan, but man that just does not sound fun. I'm so sorry you're going through this and will definitely be thinking of you. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    Oh wow, hopefully surgery will help clear everything out along with the antibiotics! I'm glad the doctors are finally taking action and working to get you healthy again. 
  • Options
    Wow! I’m sorry this is happening! Hopefully after the surgery you will heal up nicely.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the update.  I appreciate that you are willing to share with us.  Keeping you and baby in my thoughts.  
  • Options
    @chyvie I’m so sorry you are going through this. I can’t even imagine how frustrating it must be. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly with treatment and surgery! 
  • Options
    @chyvie thanks for the update. I'm glad it looks like there is a plan (albeit a very unfun one). Will be thinking of you!
  • Options
    @chyvie thanks for the update! So sorry you are going through this but thankful they have a game plan for you and baby and doing what's best. Will be thinking of you!
  • Options
    @chyvie I’m so sorry you have to go through another surgery, that sucks. Glad to hear that it sounds like you have such a good care team on it now and that there may be an end to infection and pain in sight. Keep us posted!
  • Options
    @chyvie thanks for the update and man that sucks! Yay for the game plan though! 
  • Options
    Thanks for updating us and I will definitely keep you and baby in my prayers!
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    I’m so sorry you are going through this! I’m glad to hear they have a plan now. I will definitely be thinking of you and your little one. You got this mama!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    I’m so sorry! I hope everything goes smoothly. Thinking of you guys!!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    Oh no! I’m sorry you’re going to have to have another surgery! I’m sure that’s not the outcome that you were hoping for, but hopefully that will take care of the infection and then you can just recover. I’ll be thinking of you and baby! Hugs!
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    This sounds like too much to handle for a pregnant lady right now, so please make use of your support systems (friends, family, and us!). Take care of yourself and thank you so much for the update <3
  • Options
    Oh my goodness. <3 I hope you will start feeling better and you and baby are both safe. Hoping everything goes smoothly
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going to need another surgery! I'm sure that's not what you were hoping for. I'm keeping you and your little one in my thoughts. Hopefully they can get this underway and you'll be better ASAP! ❤
  • Options
    Oh no! So sorry you need another surgery.  I’ll be thinking of you.  <3
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Keeping you in my prayers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds like so much to be dealing with, but hopefully they’ll fix the problem with the second surgery. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rc-colarc-cola member
    Oh I am so sorry to hear you need another surgery! Hope everything goes well- I think you are right to trust your docs! And I’m glad you can feel your boy moving forvthat reassurance! Thanks for updating us. Please continue to do so!
  • Options
    chyvie said:
    Luckily DH is finally communicating how stressed and worried he really is and he just handles it differently. 
    I saw the comment above earlier, and it has bothered me all day. I’m about to give some totally unsolicited advice, so please feel free to ignore it or flame me as appropriate.  

I went back to your original comment, and realized what was bothering me.  The relavent bit is this:

Tuesday was a right off because I was in the ER for 9 hrs while he sat here playing video games and drinking after work. Couldn't even come pick his pregnant wife up from the ER because he had too many drinks. I told him not to come to the ER because I knew it would be a lot of waiting for nothing.

I have two thoughts on this. Obviously, you know your husband and relationship better than I do, so, again, please disregard if they feel wrong for your situation.  

1) It disturbs me that your husband was potentially drinking to cope with a source of major stress in his life.  He knew you were at the ER, and presumably that you would need a ride home, but he put drinking in front of taking care of your needs.  (I apologize if I am reading too much into this, but I’m a bit sensitive about alcohol issues.)

2) This is totally a personal experience, but early in my former marriage, my ex went to the hospital for a suspected heart attack and didn’t tell me until later that evening, after he had been released. By not giving me the option to be there with him, I felt cut out of his life and like he didn’t want me or value my companionship.  Yes, I would have sat around the hospital twiddling my thumbs for several hours, but it would have been with and for him.  

Again, I hope I’m not butting in where I am not wanted.  I just think these are some things you might want to think through in the context of your own relationship.  
  • Options
    I'm sorry mama. How stressful. Prayers coming your way!
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    edited May 2018
    No worries! It's hard to both type out and fully express emotions so a further explanation was needed on my part. In the heat of the moment and stress I vented to you all and perhaps didn't explain fully. Plus we are all still getting to know each other. It's hard to guage if my husband is a good guy by only my rants! But trust me I would not be with him for 11 years if he wasn't. He is the nicest guy I have been with and I too have a past of an alcoholic boyfriend and know what that looks like and it's not pretty! 

Edited because it ate some of my words
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• Options
    @chyvie I’m so sorry that you’re going through this. I’m glad you have a good team of doctors and hope that the surgery will fix this. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    Sending positive vibes and internet hugs! Hopefully everything goes well and you can get some relief after. It sounds like you have a good team of docs and they are thinking through the best options for you and baby. Stay strong! 
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    @cdepperschmidt glad you understand. It used to bug me but then I realized that everyone has their way of decompressing and like you said as long as it does not get in the way of his life then I think it's his body and his choice. It takes a lot to get him intoxicated so 2 beers a night and you can't even tell he's drinking. I do agree that it might not be the healthiest and I have said that. I also think when the baby comes he won't drink until the baby is sleeping. 
    The video games is on his phone or iPad so luckily I still get to watch TV and spend time with him ahhaha he knows it will have to stop when banb comes as time will be revolving around the baby!
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• Options
    Seeing this a bit late (I’m away at the beach for a bestie’s bachelorette), but hope you’re doing better! 
  • Options
    I’m sorry you are going through this! Praying for you! I hope all goes well.
  • Options
    machenomacheno member
    Sorry to hear you are going through this! I hope you feel better soon! Prayers for you and your family!
    BabyFruit Ticker