October 2018 Moms
Options

Official Crazy Family Thread (May/June)

This week’s BF is all about MILs, with a side order of crazy family.  Between Memorial Day BBQs and Baby Shower planning, I imagine there are and will be more stories floating around...

Let’s all enjoy the insanity, laugh about the cluelessness, and offer commiseration for the stress of dealing with family (or almost family).

Re: Official Crazy Family Thread (May/June)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    @mamabearcj BABIES! Also, yes to your comment. My husband and I have worked tirelessly at setting boundaries and limitations with the MIL over the last several years, and I am SO thankful for it now that we're having a baby. Makes it all easier.
  • Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    Oh boy my MIL is a peach. I can't even begin with her. Previous advice when DS was little was I shouldn't be "feeding him food b/c he can not handle it, there is nothing wrong with purees". Which there isn't but we were doing BLW at 6m. She also never gave packaged items or anything organic to her son. I sent her a pic of DS at 3m with a pacifier and she asked why he had "that thing in his mouth" and isn't it bad for them? This pregnancy so far I shouldn't continue to run b/c it's not good and she always seems to say it doesn't come from just her. I didn't have to be "hero" and have an unmedicated birth. 

They left before lunch at our engagement party, left our wedding before we cut the cake. Came this wknd and left at 8:15am, got here at 5pm Sat, didnt eat breakfast, didn't say goodbye to me b/c I was at the gym. 
    She's just super selfish. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
  • Options
    @chopchop25 I love That! I'll have to pass that on to him and hope that the in laws stay cordial for awhile! 
  • Options
    Oh man... family. This will probably end up getting split into multiple posts, because there would be so much more to talk about. For now, I'll summarize:

-My parents divorced 12 years ago, still bitch about each other and can barely be in the same place and complain relentlessly and rudely if they do. 

-One of my grandmothers is very controlling and manipulative, which has also spread to my dad and my aunt. My grandma acts like the *family name*'s are much better than anyone else (even in small town OK). Definitely uses money to control people too. Pretty sure I got out of most of this since I got married and am no longer a *family name*, and also moved 600 miles away so I can't be controlled. But my poor brother and sister-in-law have to deal with this. My grandma drives by their house multiple times a day to snoop. And now that they want to move more than a block away from the fam, everyone is throwing a hissy fit and not speaking to each other. Lordy, they just want to move across town (15 minutes) to a bigger house! Thank God I got out of the middle of all that.

-My in-laws are Egyptian, so WHOLE different side of the spectrum than my Oklahoma ass. Constant fighting and arguing, which is apparently just normal conversation for them. Makes me super anxious around them. They don't mind being up in your business and telling you what they think either. They also live across the country so it's not awful, but wondering how it'll go once they get their first grand kid and want to retire. Also, my husbands sister is a real peach. They don't get a long at all for many reasons and barely talk. It's fun.
  • Options
    @hannah8516 that is A LOT to deal with...
  • Options
    @chopchop25 right?! Like you are 85, u aren't ugly you are an elderly woman and shouldn't continue to miss important events because of these ridiculous thoughts. She hasnt attended any of the grandkids weddings so i cant say I'm personally hurt but still...enjoy retirement and your grandkids lady!
  • Options
    My SM told me to just “get fixed while they were in there anyway” the other day. This is our second child and I’m trying for a VBAC, pretty sure that’s not how that works. *eyeroll*
  • Options
    My MIL has bipolar and refuses medication, so she’s a real treat. Thankfully she lives a 12
    hour drive away, so we only see her a couple of times a year. 
    She’s also a recovering alcoholic, and when she used to drink she acted more like a paranoid schizophrenic. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    edited May 2018
    +1 for recovering (but how do I know for real) alcoholic MIL. The BPD is so emotionally taxing, I often forget how bad she can REALLY be with a side of alcohol. Shew!
  • Options
    I love my mom, I really do.

Several times over the past year, including before I got pregnant my mother has told me she had a dream about two boys playing in her house. So we told her it was a girl, she said, well they could be wrong. Then when we were discussing names, she said it again! 

+1 for racist in-laws for DH entire family. 
  • Options
    +1 to an alcoholic MIL... she's supposedly drinking less but I don't think I'll ever believe that..
  • Options
    My dad's second wife was a 'recovering alcoholic' who still drank... A lot... We avoided them most of the time because of the drinking and she was seriously not a nice person, and my dad wasn't a nice person when they were together. 

One Christmas, we got together at a restaurant for a holiday meal and gift exchange. They gave me and H (there was a separate gift for the kids) a gift bag with 5-6 little beanie babies... All wrapped in aluminum foil, like out of the kitchen stuff, I'd never heard of that one before, And a bin of popcorn. They gave my sister and her H, 5-6 beanie babies wrapped in aluminum foil and an obviously used ice cream scoop. We got a good laugh out of it!
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    @mamabearcj It was crazy in that our pre-marital counseling actually helped him do this. Our pastor was amazing and gave us one line that will stick with me FOREVER, which was that 'when we get married we define our household, and what our household will tolerate and what energy we will allow inside it.' I've never let that go and it's made me such a mama bear/protector of our space and helps me breathe deeply and easily.
    I love that.
  • Options
    Overall I really love my MIL - but the one thing about her that drives me nuts is her role as “Grandma” ... she has two step children + my husband... my husband’s step brother has 3 little ones & step sister has 2 little ones and my MIL constantly complains that the children don’t know her and she’s not “Grandma” to them but she’s never offered to watch any of them, shows up for Birthdays or Christmas only for an hour & is gone... so what do you expect to happen?

I’m hoping with our first little one she’s more involved but I’m expecting the same complaints... I already asked if she’d be willing to watch the baby 2 times a month (she has every other Friday off work) and she said no.

I guess my parents are just so different... they’re already talking about having a crib at their house and a car seat & want to watch ours at least once a week and they constantly ask how baby and I are doing and what they can do to help. 
  • Options
    @chopchop25 thinking about having them all here when babe is born already gives me anxiety....

@jynjer91 my mom (different side as above grandma and never got along) wanted to have the baby shower at her house, and I said "but do you really want Nana knowing where you live? She'll start doing drive-by's again." She said "good point". She's a real delight.
  • Options
    I adore my ILs. We occasionally have grumpy moments, but generally speaking everything is good. The only truly crazy one is H’s grandmother and she lives 3000 miles away, and usually reserves her ire for my MIL so I don’t catch too much of it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lolo_0924 honestly if I only had 2 fridays off a month I wouldn't volunteer to watch my grandkids either. (Even if I had weekends too) The only time I would totally do that is if I didn't work. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    @hellopartyof5 (she does get weekends as well) & I do see it both ways... I like my days off too. But I just thought since she complains the other little ones don’t “know her” I would offer a way for her to spend time with ours a couple times a month that’s all... and I’m just from a different kind of family, I grew up spending a lot  time with my grandparents. I’ll just have to get used to a different dynamic I guess... 
  • Options
    sliztee said:
    We have also reiterated to one another over the years that we are each other's family and that comes first. My sweet husband is so conditioned into being the protector, mediator, and caretaker in his family that he needs reminders from time to time that isn't his role to uphold anymore.

ETA: It wasn't fair for him to be put in that position in the first place.
    My H is the same way! It wasn't until his mother got sick (and passed) that he finally learned to put his foot down with his family and make them understand that the kids and I were his first priority now. They still don't get it though. His sister (who's 10 years older than him) hates him because he won't help her out financially. We've got 2 (soon to be 3) kids and we live paycheck to paycheck. You're almost 50 sweetheart. Figure it out.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    My in laws are great which makes it suck so bad that they're half a world away. We only see them once every couple of years.

It's my family that's the royal pain. Not many people have accepted my husband because of his cultural background. Some of them have gone so far as to make toxic comments about us and our lifestyle to the point that they have been banned from our life for years. My mom and I have a love hate relationship. She's bipolar and not medicated plus she is passive aggressive which is extra annoying. She doesn't take an active role in our kids lives which suits us fine. We haven't even bothered to tell her we're expecting yet, and I haven't seen her lately so she wouldn't have noticed my very obvious bump. She will not be happy for us because she already thinks we have "too many kids", so I guess she'll just have to come around and notice by herself. 
  • Options
    @ummibtihaj that's really unfortunate your family feels the need to be so negative about your relationship and family. That makes it really tough.

@lolo_0924 my family was the same. Granted, my mom was 17 when she had me. My grandparents are like second parents to me. My grandpa was my father figure. If my grandma wasn't 75, she'd probably help watch this one. She watched my siblings and my aunt's twins a ton as they grew up. My grandpa helped a lot too before he passed away. Now I think it would be too hard for her to watch a infant. 

My mom is a teacher with Summers off. I'm hoping she will want to watch this baby at least one day a week in the summers.
  • Options
    Thanks @sammierose464 it was tough at first, but we'll be married 10 years this summer so we've learned to roll with it and depend on ourselves and a few dear friends. We learned the hard way that family isn't always the one you're born into.
  • Options
    Ugggghh @shortstack930 they sound terrible. My mom can have a slight version of that, but since she became a Grandma she has gotten more chill. I think because she doesn’t want to not see her grandkids. When I was pregnant the first time she was VERY pissed when I told her I didn’t want her in the delivery room. That took her a few weeks to get over.
  • Options
    chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited May 2018
    @shortstack930 MIL/in laws sound like a real peach. Hopefully she can keep up the silent treatment for awhile ;)
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    @shortstack930 sounds like a very familiar story with my husband’s family! I wish you the best of luck and support your decision to cut ties, especially for your husband. It’s definitely not an easy thing to do. 
  • Options
    @shortstack930 so sorry for your DD, we've listened to DHs parents go through it with his older brother and his kids too. They haven't even met their grandson yet and has over a month old! They've done it to us too, I'm glad your husband has finally made the decision to continue without them even though it's a hard one!! At least you have your family
  • Options
    @shortstack930 Sorry you have to go through that. It does suck because the person they are hurting the most is your DD. But it sounds like it’s for the best, at least until they can change their attitudes. I would 100% support DH’s decision to cut ties if his parents ever acted like that. They’ve come close, but then usually end up acting like nothing happened a few weeks later. Thankfully you all still have your parents and they are supportive!! 
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    Thanks, all! I am so glad DH came to that decision on his own. 

@mamabearcj @spartan4life surprisingly DD hasn’t even mentioned them since they stopped talking to us so I’m relieved it hasn’t seemed to affect her much. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    @HoosOnFirst that makes sense that she wouldn’t want to risk not seeing her grandkids! You’d think my MIL would realize that but apparently not...
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22