January 2019 Moms
Options

Team Green?

2»

Re: Team Green?

• Options
    We are gearing up for team green round 3!  I have always felt that whoever has to go through the misery of pregnancy gets to make the decision on whether to be team green, but fortunately my husband has always been on board with team green anyway, ever since his sister was team green and loved it.

I found it's very practical - especially with the first - because then you don't end up with a bunch of extremely gendered stuff.  Especially helpful for me because I basically don't ever dress my kids in things with writing so this has helped me avoid all the "daddy's little princess" outfits that make me cringe.  I am also just a big fan of the plainer, neutral clothes on babies, though my girls also had plenty of beautiful girly things as well.

Andplusalso, I really want no part in the over-gendering of babies and their clothes and toys - just because I have girls doesn't mean they have to wear pink and not like trucks or bugs.  Dh's family in particular is very conservative with regard to gender roles, so the team green approach at least frees me from months of people projecting their expectations on my kiddo.

It's funny how only 35-40 years ago finding out wasn't even an option, pretty much all baby stuff was gender neutral, and yet we all muddled through somehow.

All that said, to everyone who prefers to find out, more power to ya!  As parents we all get a truckload of judgment of our choices, and the decision of when to find out the sex is one of the most truly absurd things for people to get judgy about!  Not that that has ever stopped anyone from judging anyway, but I hope we all feel free to roll our eyes at anyone who would give us a hard time about this choice.
  • Options
    @rooonilwaazlib we toyed with the idea of MH knowing and me not knowing the second time, but I just didn’t think he would be able to keep the secret. And I would have been really upset if he let it slip when I didn’t want to know. 

We we found out with #1 and were Team Green with #2. Everyone hated that we were Team Green except me. I thought it was really special when MH told me that we had another girl. 

I really want want to be Team Green again this time, but everyone is still upset from last time. So I settled with finding out, but they cannot comment on my name choices. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Team green for the third time here! The surprise is worth it :smile:
  • Options
    @achays11 I hate that!  The sex shouldn’t matter to anyone and certainly not enough to make them still bitter about it. I’m alrwady sensitive to the way a few people have responded to me about different facets of my pregnancy. The judgment is so annoying and I can’t believe people have the balls to think their opinion matters as much as the actual parent(s)! Sigh the world we live in is a crazy place!

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    Honestly not sure what we will do this time around..  I know DH And I will find out but idk who we will tell. With DD we didn’t want the gendering so we told almost no one. They knew we knew and it pissed them off but I didn’t want to deal with pink ruffles on everything. And I wouldn’t want to deal with those awful boys shirts that say things like “watch out ladies” ... puke. 

Weve considered lying and telling people we actually don’t know this time... could be a good middle ground? So we would at least SEEM team green... does that count?
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa member
    @Potterphile I think if you find out and don't want to tell other people, it'd probably work better to just tell them you don't know.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We found out with DD and will find out again with this one.  DH says it's a still a surprise, you just find out sooner.  I thought maybe I could wait but when it came time for the ultrasound I was so excited to find out.  I also liked referring to DD with her name, we didn't share the name with anyone before she was born though.  
  • Options
    @emmaaa that’s what I’m thinking. We did the other thing last time around (like yes we know but were not telling) and it made ppl mad. I didn’t care but saying we Dk would be a path of less resistance I’m sure. I also didn’t tell ppl I was pregnant until I absolutely had to so for most ppl that was 20-25 weeks. It was nice to cut down on the scrutiny and unsolicited advice for sure. 

For real though, idk how team green people do it. I can’t possibly be expected to pick two name options. 
  • Options

I would love to be team green. There will be no more babies after this one and we found out with DD, so I feel like this is the only chance I'll have for a surprise. I am SUCH a planner & decided to approach things differently with this pregnancy. We did NTNP instead of 'trying' (last time I was all in or all out, went right from birth control to temping & taking OPKs lol), being team green just adds to that. I haven't let myself have many surprises before.

DH is okay with this, although I know he'd like to find out.

We are thinking about NIPT as well... has anyone ever done this and remained team green? I don't know how it works, if your Dr. reports the results or if you're just given the envelope... I know that certain diagnoses with sex chromosomes (Turner's syndrome etc.) would automatically give it away. But barring those, I'm wondering if it's logical to just leave that part out?

Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• Options
    @PolarBear517 Same!  We are thinking about NIPT too.  I'm not considered high-risk so we'd pay OOP, but that might be a worthy price tag for my piece of mind re: all potential risks.  I'm curious about your Q too...if anyone has done NIPT and remained team green.

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    We got the NIPT and they called to give results- they asked if we wanted to know the sex. I know a lot of companies for the NIPT (will just depend on what your doctors office offers) have online portals so I’m not sure if it would show on there or If you’d have the option to opt out. 
  • Options
    We are team green and i am excited about it! We found out at anatomy scan with our other two (DD and DS) and have saved both our girl and boy stuff. Plus I feel like it adds some extra excitement for the whole family around baby number 3
  • Options
    MH and I are staunch Team Greeners. We both are oldest children in families where our parents never found out before birth and so we both always knew we wanted to do the same! It’s fortunate really because I think it must be really hard in situations where one partner wants to find out and one doesn’t. I don’t envy those of you grappling with this!

One thing I love about being Team Green is that it gives MH a special moment. Almost the entire pregnancy the focus is on the mom so it’s been really fun for him to get to be the one to announce the sex in the delivery room.

Anecdotally I also have to say that having that final big surprise to look forward to made the last month of pregnancy (not to mention my long ass labor and deliveries) way more bearable.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    *~* DS Jan.'15 *~* DD Nov.'16 *~*
  • Options
    I definitely considered team green and love the idea, but this time we’re probably going to find out just so we can pick out a name easier. I’m having a hard time finding a boy’s name I like, although the few names I have in mind are fairly gender neutral anyway.

We might keep it a secret to the general public to avoid overly gendered gifts- like other posters have said, I dislike when babies are given all blue or pink, bows or dumb sports balls on everything. I don’t mind a few pink items or anything, I just don’t like roles being forced even on a baby. We’re definitely planning a light, simple and natural nursery with animals regardless of the baby’s sex. Most of our friends and family are pretty cool though and would avoid super gendered stuff if we requested it.  
  • Options
    Late to the thread, but team green here as well. We didn't find out with our last two (twins) either! I love waiting!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We'll be going team green! It would be impossible if we weren't both on board, though!
    Pregnancy Ticker