January 2019 Moms
Options

Team Green?

Anyone else planning on not finding out the sex before birth?

I don't want to, not sure I can get MH on board. 
TW

M/C 06/09/2011
DS 05/29/2013
M/C 02/14/2017 
M/C 06/05/2017 
C/P 03/01/2018
BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Team Green?

• Options
    My H is toying with the idea of team green.  I have NO desire for this.  I will be better about at least not having them tell me the sex over the phone (I will have NIPT) and will pick up an envelope & maybe get someone to make a reveal cake so we can find out together.  Hoping he will accept this as a reasonable compromise. 
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want to be surprised but DH wants to find out. I'm trying to bring him over to my side.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    For this pregnancy, we will know the sex because we are getting the genetic blood test in 1st tri (cause I'm old now). But we will not tell anyone except very close family (and I dont even want to tell them, but I compromised with DH).

This time around I don't want the "I bet you are hoping for a boy! Complete the set!" comments
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa member
    I didn't want to find out the first time around but DH was very insistent that he wanted to so he could hopefully start to feel a connection with the baby. I got where he was coming from and it wasn't a big deal to me, so we found out. We will do the same this time as well.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Since we already have a son I don't want the comments. We have a son so it'll either be "oh two boys, now you have to try for a girl!" or "one of each, perfect." Blah. I hate people. DH said we could find out and just not tell anyone but I don't think that will actually work.
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
  • Options
    I wanted to be team green this time around but DH was not on board. In his words “How will we prepare?!” Seriously? I have my NIPT test in 2 weeks so we’ll know shortly thereafter 
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Options
    I don’t want to find out but DH does. We were team green with DD and I really liked it, but we made a deal that for the first one we wouldn’t find out and for the second we would. I’m a little disappointed. We got a lot of comments last time along the lines of hopefully it’s a boy/boys are better/girls are harder. This time I expect to hear about how if we must want boy so we will have one of each.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @roonilwazlib interesting point about your partner. Are there any ways to meet half way? Like, only the two of you know the sex? Then she can feel more engaged but you avoid that annoying imposed gendering from bystanders/extended family. 

That is our compromise. For a variety of reasons, we are not ourselves team green this time, but I still want to limit knowledge of the baby's sex until the birth announcement. 
  • Options
    But if course in our case, since DH wants to be able to tell DD whether she is getting a little brother or sister, we will be telling people who come in contact with DD...since she will be telling EVERYONE.
  • Options
    We are doing the NT scan and not the NIPT (at least at the moment). So no worries about finding out super early. That being said, I'm on the fence about being team green. DH is very much a "go with the flow" guy and would love to not find out until the baby comes out. I'm warring if I can let go of the planning and control enough to not find out until then. Our doctor would (I'm sure) let him announce what it is when he/she is born so he could have that moment, and it would be really special for me to have him tell me the news. 

If we do choose to find out, (DH is a physician and can easily read the darn ultrasound) he would still announce what it is to me at the appointment. But i think we'd stay team green to our family/friends. I'm a private person anyway and I don't like the idea of all these people in my business. If I can shut down that talk by staying team green, I will totally do it. Thankfully, we live fairly far away from our families, so keeping it a secret will be a little easier. 
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    My H and I have also been toying with the idea of finding out baby's sex, but keeping it to ourselves until baby is born. Neither of us are a huge fan on being on the "in the dark" side of the secret, but I don't mind keeping one. We found out baby's sex with DS and got sooo many shitty comments from people about doing so. I even had someone BOO in my face because "finding out is so lame". I'll never understand why people feel so inclined to say absolutely whatever the hell they want to you while you are growing a child--or once that child has been born for that matter. 
  • Options
    This is #1 and we are team green all the way!  
    #1 EDD 01/10/19; Team Green!
    TTC #1 since 01/16; Unexplained IF; Low AMH; Conceived naturally
    Married 11/12; Dating 05/05
    Me: 36  DH: 37

• Options
    This is our first and it’s an IVF pregnancy. We did PGS testing so we can find out at any time since we know we had 2boys and a girl but I don’t know what they transferred. We have 2 more appointments at the fertility clinic and I think we are going to ask the sex at the last appointment and keep it to ourselves. I love the team green idea but I think it would eat me up. I also love gender neutral stuff...not big on the pink and blue. I’m sure we will get criticism for this since family knows we had 3 embryos and we knew the sexes. Oh well...
    TTC #1
    Endo Stage IV
    Lap 9/11/2009
    IUI 1st Cycle Canceled
    IUI 2nd Cycle Failed
    New RE: RMACT
    BCP 2/6/2018
    Hysteroscopy to remove polyps 2/16/2018
    IVF #1 3/5/2018- Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix, HCG + Lupron Trigger
    ER- 3/18/2018- 11 retrieved, 9 mature, 4 made it to blast. 
    PGS- 3 normal
    FET #1- 4/25/2018
    WE ARE PREGNANT!! Due 1/11/2019
  • Options
    @luckymay2x it’s definitely worth the try!  I don’t think I’ll post it all over social media if I end up knowing, but I don’t trust myself to not slip up...and I feel like it will snowball from there. Also toyed with the idea of her knowing and me not knowing. But idk I could handle that! I think as long as we keep it on a need-to-know basis we will be ok.

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    We didn't find out with one of them.  It was fun. No one really seemed bothered by it. It was definitely cheaper not knowing because I didn't buy all the cute clothes.  Not sure what I'll do this time.  I haven't given it much thought.  
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa member
    @roonilwazlib You're welcome! It was something I never thought about because I just assumed he would feel connected to the baby like I did. But obviously it's different for him/or any partner, when the baby isn't growing inside you I guess. It just wasn't a hill I was willing to die on. I figured if I could help him feel an emotional attachment earlier the way I did, why not? I know each couple feels differently and that's perfectly fine obviously.

Also, it's worth noting that even some mothers who carry their children don't feel a connection with the baby until they are born or even until they are home. It's different for everyone.

Also again, even though we knew DD was a girl ahead of time, I didn't want a whole lot of bright pink and frilly clothing...it's just not my style for the most part. So if you get clothes or items that are too gender specific or you don't like them, keep the tags on them and try to return for store credit or exchange them. I always took clothes to Target first and then places like Khols second to try to exchange. There were very few items that I couldn't find where they went and either made them "play" clothes or donated them.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I asked this in the STM thread but was anyone team green and how did you handle it with your current LO? Did you just tell them you were having a baby? 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
  • Options
    greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited May 2018
    We had to do IVF to conceive and did PGS to reduce chance of miscarriage. DH always wanted a boy and I was fine with that because his father abused his sisters. I understood him wanting to get comfortable parenting with a boy because of his childhood. But the male embryo transfer failed and we decided the second time just to transfer the best embryo. It is a girl and we knew all their genders all along. It felt funny to pay for a test that determines the genders (chromosome abnormality test is a gender test essentially) and our team and doctor know but not find out. IVF made me let go of a lot of things I thought would be my typical pregnancy journey. No surprise to any of it. We are excited and like knowing any detail about the growing baby- I wish I could know her personality. But I don't want to go crazy with gendered stuff or impose my idea of what she will be like. She will be her own person. I understand both choices. 
  • Options
    I'm going partially team green. If this baby doesn't come on or before Christmas, I plan on opening up the envelope from the anatomy scan as a Christmas present with my two boys. I thought that would be kind of fun!
    That's a super cute idea! 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
  • Options
    I dont want to know but my husband does. I will win this one. Lol! My friends who are on Team Green told me that there is more excitement in the atmosphere (for the nurses and docs, too) in the delivery room when the parents don't know the sex. I don't know if that's true, but I'm willing to test the theory. 
  • Options
    I’m considering it this time around. We already have 2 boys and a girl so have everything we need for both. I found out at 20 weeks for my bio kids and our foster son was a surprise!! Thought it might be a new fun twist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This thread has been so interesting! We’re on the fence, DH is leaning Green but is willing to do whatever I want to. I’m leaning toward finding out but then am asking myself “Why is it so important to know? What would it change?” I’m a feminist and definitely planning on a fairly neutral nursery either way, and I would be a little annoyed to be drowning in pink stuff before my daughter was even born. On the other hand, I like the idea of being able to use the baby’s name earlier when I talk to him or her, and as a librarian I also just really love having as much information as possible at all times. Tough decision!
  • Options
    @Augusta108 - librarians unite! I really really want ALL the info. I'm sure I'm driving DH and my OB both nuts. Whether or not this is a boy or girl, there will be dolls and trucks. But turning off the "I need to know" switch is so hard!
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    kaf1788kaf1788 member
    I totally admire all you Team Green-ers. It seems like such a fun surprise, but I've always been awful about needing to know EVERYTHING as soon as possible. I was totally the kid who would go snooping for my Christmas/birthday presents in advance. While I also like to avoid needlessly gendering babies, I also just really love pink so tbh I'll be dressing my baby in pink whether it's a boy or girl (and my husband will be buying Bears jerseys for either one). Also the nursery (currently my office) is already painted a really nice mauvey blush and I don't think I'll be changing that either. I have a feeling I'll get some shit from my inlaws if it ends up being a boy but I also don't really care  ;)
  • Options
    KLS123KLS123 member
    Team Green all the way for this FTM. I don't want unnecessarily gendered items. I don't want to hear peoples opinions on labeling my unborn child as "easier" or "harder" based on the sex. I don't want to get pressured into having a "Gender Reveal" party. I don't want to fall into the trap myself of having preconceived expectations on their likes, dislikes, preferences and personality. And finally I just think it will be fun and exciting on the day of for everyone!
    I am very much a type A planner but I hear becoming a parent will break you of being a control freak so I just see this as step one to giving up control and going with the flow  <3
  • Options
    KLS123 said
    Team Green all the way for this FTM. I don't want unnecessarily gendered items. I don't want to hear peoples opinions on labeling my unborn child as "easier" or "harder" based on the sex. I don't want to get pressured into having a "Gender Reveal" party. I don't want to fall into the trap myself of having preconceived expectations on their likes, dislikes, preferences and personality. And finally I just think it will be fun and exciting on the day of for everyone!
    I am very much a type A planner but I hear becoming a parent will break you of being a control freak so I just see this as step one to giving up control and going with the flow  <3
    This!

Our exact thoughts and reasons for team green.  
    #1 EDD 01/10/19; Team Green!
    TTC #1 since 01/16; Unexplained IF; Low AMH; Conceived naturally
    Married 11/12; Dating 05/05
    Me: 36  DH: 37

• Options
    I realllly don’t think I could do team green BUT h and I have been throwing around the idea of being team green to everyone but us. As in leaving it a surprise for our family and friends to find out when the baby is born. 

Last time we didn’t tell people DDs name and my in laws really hated it. So I can’t imagine how they’ll feel not knowing the sex or the name. 
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Options
    I was leaning toward team green last time and DH was going to go along with whatever I wanted... but I ended up changing my mind in the ultrasound waiting room and wanting to know. I’m glad we did, and we told everyone it was a girl, but I also made it very clear that we didn’t want everything to be pink. For the most part, people honored what we said (plus I put a lot of gender neutral stuff on our registry). 
    I’m going back and forth again about team green with this baby. I want to know because I like to plan and it would help prep DD to have a set name picked out, but I also think it would be exciting (and motivating lol) to find after the baby is born. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    DH and I talked about it last night and I think we agreed that we'll find out but we're not telling anyone. Because of my history I qualify for genetic testing so we can find out early. It would be great timing to get that done and then I can give it to H as his birthday present in July. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
  • Options
    Would anyone who is team green dare to let their partner find out the sex, but they themselves not know? This is my current plan!  Wife wants to find out which is totally ok. But I don’t! Or I’m not sure! Worried about her accidentally spilling the beans, that it’ll drive me nuts If she knows and I don’t, and also that I’ll be slightly less thrilled if I do know. For now I’m going to out off finding out for as long as I can last. We’re doibg the Sneak Peek Test so we will use her email so I won’t be tempted. And I can always look when I want!  You can’t unknow things like this. Ugh I’ve never wanted to know and not know something at the same time sooo much! 

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    Would anyone who is team green dare to let their partner find out the sex, but they themselves not know? This is my current plan!  Wife wants to find out which is totally ok. But I don’t! Or I’m not sure! Worried about her accidentally spilling the beans, that it’ll drive me nuts If she knows and I don’t, and also that I’ll be slightly less thrilled if I do know. For now I’m going to out off finding out for as long as I can last. We’re doibg the Sneak Peek Test so we will use her email so I won’t be tempted. And I can always look when I want!  You can’t unknow things like this. Ugh I’ve never wanted to know and not know something at the same time sooo much! 
    We've thought about it because MH wants to know and I don't. I think he could keep the secret but he may also start using pronouns without thinking about it. I think we've decided to find out but not tell anyone.  
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
  • Options
    I did not find out with my 1st 2. I dont think i will for this one either. 
  • Options
    tosh24tosh24 member
    I found out with my first but DH and I kept it to ouselves because our families were adament about not knowing. I kind of felt it was "wrong" to know after I found out which is a feeling I never expected to have since I was 100% in favour of finding out the sex. I can't really explain it.

With our second we were team green. Having a little baby wiggling around inside you and playing with its feet and hands when they stretch through your skin and loving baby so much while not knowing its sex is a really sweet and exciting feeling. I definitely enjoyed the anticipation of my team green pregnancy. Just a word of caution for anyone pinning all their dreams on that "reveal" at birth - you may not get it. I was so delerious from my labour I never even heard the doctor announce the sex. DH said he also told me after the doctor announced and I never heard him either. I only remember checking for myself. There are lots of scenarios where you may not get that movie-like reveal, so just be prepared for that since I definitely felt a little robbed of that moment after waiting 9 months!

We'll probably be team green again. I already have a girl and a boy so I'm set clothing/accessory-wise for either sex.
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    Our first 3 girls we we're team green till birth and it was such an exciting moment having that announcement as soon as they were born. Because of that most of our baby stuff can be used either way and I even have plenty of boy clothes I've some how accumulated as well as lots clothes that are just neutral. We are still deciding on whether to find out this time or not. Before we got pregnant I wanted to and DH didn't and now he wants to and I'm not so sure, lol. I feel like it's one of those things where you WILL find out at some point and once you know you can't unknown, so what's the hurry? It doesn't really effect my planning, so it's fun to have that surprise at the birth!