July 2018 Moms
Options

Things People Say to Pregnant Women

Re: Things People Say to Pregnant Women

• Options
    @kissableviv right, same here. We know we want more than one, and I know we'll have to start trying sooner than later, but hearing it right now is driving me crazy. One step at a time!

@flockofmoosen3 oh gosh for some reason that has bothered me this whole pregnancy too! the "how are you feeeeling?" question. And I know it's in good intentions, but do they really want to know how I'm feeling? Usually I just said "good! good. just counting down the days" and move on.
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 Yeah, she is a unique individual
  • Options
    The people who keep asking "do you have the nursery ready?" In this horrible condescending tone (people who know that we're doing a total reno of that room). Like no the nursery still needs to be primed, painted, light fixture installed and flooring installed and then we have to assemble the furniture, decorate and wash and put away clothes. If I actually voice any of this rather than the more acceptable "we're getting there" they grimace and say "better hurry, he could come any day now" like why are you suggesting that my baby could be born premature? I'm aware that that's a possibility and I'd rather not think about it and also don't criticize the nursery progress if you're not offering to come help 
  • Options
    I get a lot of comments about how great it is we’ll have one of each too.. Frankly I’d be thrilled with another boy too! 

DH has been pointing out when my belly has been poking out of my shirt at home. I get it. I’m very pregnant. Thanks for pointing it out. 
  • Options
    @WorkinWeezel  Before I got pregnant I actually thought about the comments people would make about us having a third after we already had the ”perfect combination.” 
  • Options
    DH came home from work yesterday and said a bunch of guys at work have commented "just wait until 6 months after the kid is born, your wife will be ready for the next one!" Ahhh, no?! I've been pregnant now since Sept 2016 with a 3 month break last summer....I'm ready for my body to not be occupied by a parasite and feel normal again!! I'm not a glowing, happy pregnant person. I love DD and am thrilled about this little dude but I think I will lose my mind if I get pregnant so soon again :weary:
  • Options
    @TalesOfASocialIntrovert PREACH.  I am adamant that I am done.  I am not a happy glowing pregnant lady either and every time I'm pregnant I do more irreparable damage to my ligaments and joints thanks to relaxin making my existing issues worse.  Even before we found out we would now have 1 of each, I had decided I was done bearing children - but everyone is waiting for me to change my mind or pressuring me to have more because they (childless aunts of DH) want more kids around.
    @babygagnon2018 the whole "is a pregnant woman a mother on mother's day" thing is so frustraiting.  DD was due 1 week after mother's day, but I was told repeatedly i didn't count that year.  She was born roughly 2 weeks before father's day and you can bet he got cards and congratulations from the same people.  Apparently 2 weeks post womb >>> 41 weeks literal blood, sweat, and tears. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @babygagnon2018 My mom said the same thing, and I am not sure how I feel about it. It would have been nice to have it acknowledged, though.

The only weird comment I got was from a new direct report. It was one of those days where the weather was getting warmer, but not quite yet, so I had on a t-shirt, cardigan, and a light jacket. I tend to wear all of this until around 11, because for some reason I warm up around then. He said I might get too hot, and then I told him I tend to run cold (which I always have), and he said something like "Oh right, since you're pregnant, it's probably smart to wear layers." OK?

When people say things like "You're due in July? It's really coming up!", it just makes me think of all the stuff I need to do before then. So, thanks for the reminder. :neutral:
  • Options
    Yes I’ve gotten most of what everyone has said. As a mom of two boys everyone’s like well third time’s the charm for the girl...and I mean everyone has said that! I’m like the second one isn’t even here yet. Also my coworkerwr asks me EVERY day how are you feeling? Like that’s what everyone one at work says. Also you shouldn’t be doing...xyz because you are pregnant and you don’t want to go into labor. Like picking something off of the floor
  • Options
    @11dematosk Oh my gosh, a billion times yes on that last one. Like, I wish I could just sit back and relax like you apparently think pregnant women have to, but there is a toddler to keep up with, and kids to nanny, and chores to be done-- no, my baby will not be harmed in the process, not even by that morning coffee (because again... toddler). Oh! And the passive accusing from still doing yoga. I always ask, "Do you really and truly believe I'd do something to hurt the baby/ send myself into premature labor?" 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • Options
    coco305coco305 member
    @canucklehead123 I'm so sorry that your friend said that to you, that's just beyond awful, :( 
  • Options
    coco305coco305 member
    Oh I also get the 
    "are you allowed to have _______ while pregnant?" 
    Or 
    "you better stop drinking coffee" I have 1 cup
    a day, my OB is fine with it. 
  • Options
    People can be so awkward, I think it's often unintentional and not meant to cause harm.

The comments that bug me the most are the "you wait and see" ones. This is my second little one. My first was/is a good sleeper at night, super healthy and hubby and I have adjusted well. Of course there are challenges but for the most part I haven't been the exhausted, stressed out mom. 

I never go out of my way to boast but when people would find out that my baby was sleeping through the night I'd hear "just wait, if you have a second one they'll never sleep." Or now when people ask how things went with my first I get "watch, this one will be totally different"

I've also seen stuff like this posted all over the FB om group I'm in

Image result for trick baby meme
    Like cool, good to know you are rooting against me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere so much yes to the "you wait and see" comments.  It's such a weird thing that people actually want you to experience a difficult baby.  I'm fully aware that every baby is different.  But you don't know, this baby could be a great sleeper too.  But misery loves company.  
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere DH even says the stuff about the next kid to me. Like, "You wait and see, this one will be so much harder because DS was so easy sleeping." Actually, I hope its a little harder, because I know a big part of the reason why DS slept through the night so early was that he was formula fed, and I expect things to be a little bit harder if I'm successful BF, as I hope I will be. Also, DS is a DICK as a toddler (he's also pretty awesome most of the time too, but holy hell he challenges me) so I feel like everything evens out in the end. 
  • Options
    @SmashJam on a side note, I heard that the thing about formula fed babies sleeping more/better than BF babies was mostly a myth. I really want it to be a myth lol. I combo fed DD for 2-3 months then did exclusively formula. I plan to really try to BF this time. 

@Sarafuss Yup, I get really put off by the misery loves company stuff. It's unfortunately common among moms  :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SmashJamSmashJam member
    edited May 2018
    @runsomewhere I do know someone with a four week old that currently gives her 5 hours of uninteruppted sleep. That being said, my bedtime now is 9. So 5 hours is 2 am. No matter when that 5 hours come, its going to be an adjustment on my sleep, haha, and not nearly what I experience now. I think I stayed up later when DS was born so I can't remember how many hours "sleeping through the night" was for me, but I think it was 7 hours pretty quickly.

ETA: months to weeks.
  • Options
    I haven't gotten the blatant comments about size like some of you other ladies but at least 3x a week a coworker will comment, "wow, baby girl is really poking out today!"
    Then today my conversation went as follow with another coworker:
    "You're having a girl right? "
    "Yes we are!"
    "And you already have a boy?"
    "Yes we have a 6 year old son."
    "Oh that's perfect,  a boy and a girl, the perfect pair! Now is definitely the time to stop!"
  • Options
    The wait and see kills me. Not just for pregnancy, for everything. LOL
  • Options
    @acunamatada YES people have gone so far to tell us "the second is always the devil child" or hellspawn or demon or similar... wt actual f?

@SmashJam DD slept through the night at 8 weeks EBF - she would have slept through the night sooner but wasn't gaining weight and dr made us force MOTN feedings on her. Agree is more a myth or at least loose correlation since the theory is more about fat content which could differ greatly between EBF women anyway so FF vs EBF isn't really the dependent variable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am guilty of saying this baby is going to be a horrible sleeper because my son is an awesome sleeper. But at least I am just saying it to myself, not to some other pregnant woman. I think I am just a pessimist and can't believe I'll be blessed with two amazing sleepers. My son slept 9 hours straight at 8 weeks and is now at 12 hours at 20 months. Can I really get that lucky twice??  
  • Options
    @canucklehead123 LOL, I wonder if she went home and told people "another pregnant woman at work just told me happy pushing, weird"

@zande2016 You'll be blessed with another great sleeper once you tell us in detail exactly what you did with #1 to achieve the above sleep results. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lol @zande2016 sharing is caring 
  • Options
    @canucklehead123 lol happy pushing is funny. But good luck isn't bad to say I don't think, kind of like saying, "Hope everything goes the way you want!" i wouldn't take that badly, I wonder why she did?

@gingerbride26 I always thought the formula fed vs EBF had to do with how quickly the breastmilk is digested, like, its easier to digest so babies are often hungry faster? And that it takes longer for formula to digest so they are more likely to not wake up hungry as often? I don't know either way I hope its a myth! That'll make it easier on me!

• Options
    Haha I don’t know! He was exclusively breastfed too, I have no clue if it’s true that FF babies sleep better than BF but that obviously didn’t apply in my situation. Kid just really likes to sleep. 
  • Options
    @d_marie_23 I think that’s what it is, I’m mentally preparing myself. I’d rather convince myself the new baby won’t ever sleep and be proven wrong than go into it assuming he’ll be a good sleeper like his brother and be disappointed. 
  • Options
    I'm naive and keep thinking that this baby will be a good baby lol. I hope for the best and secretly expecting the worst, but happy positive vibes can't hurt right?
  • Options
    My MIL said to me tonight “oh, I don’t think you’ll make it to July! You’ve dropped!” And then my bff said “yeah I thought it looked like you dropped too” 

those are cruel things to say to a mama that goes late.. 
  • Options
    @hillbillywife I had people telling me I'd dropped both times and went 12 days over. I hope no one says it this time, it'll give me false hope!
  • Options
    @SmashJam I know! I think my MIL told me that both times too and I was 8 days and 6 days late. So much false hope. 
  • Options
    @hillbillywife I’ve had strangers tell me I won’t make it that long when I say I’m due in July.  Not because I’ve dropped since I always carry low but because my belly looks huge.  I’m like, we’ll see!  I very likely won’t make it to my due date but not because I’ll go into labor early.  I’ve always been induced for pre-e or GD.  Those comments irritate me though because I hate how random people act like they know my body better than I do or can predict what’s going to happen.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    @runsomewhere for no matter what i told myself or what others said to make me feel good about the entire transition, ppd really got the best of me those days and i did exactly all of that. So now when i share my experience is not to say “everything will be different and you’ll never have your life back or it’s gonna be terrible”. It’s more along the lines of be prepared for everything (best and worst scenario) because everyone’s experience is different by many factors. And if your having a tough, time speak up! There is no shame in experiencing any of that and it can happen even to the most organized and collected person. Maybe the people who say that stuff maybe because they don’t know how to properly share their experience to where it maybe more helpful than annoying.
  • Options
    @wildtot I totally understand that PPD changes things and that it's not something that you can positive talk your way out of. The above was based on my personal outlook and experience. I was fortunate enough to not suffer with PPD so I cannot speak from the perspective of someone who did.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    @runsomewhere i am genuinely happy for those who do have more positive experiences and i wish them upon every mama. I certainly hope the second one will be easier but preparing for the worst (which i was not with DS).