September 2018 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding/pumping Q&A

2»

Re: Breastfeeding/pumping Q&A

• Options
    I got a list of five different pumps that my insurance covers: Ameda Finesse, Spectra S2 Plus, Medela Pump In Style Advanced Starter Kit, Nature's Bond Pure Model and Hygeia Enjoye. Having trouble deciding on one. I can order it June 18th. The only one that has reviews is the Medela and it has poor ones. If anyone has experience with these, I'd love to have the advice. I know I just got notified today but reading over the information makes me feel like I'm being thrown in the deep. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    jumpy57jumpy57 member
    @smsaulino I think we had a product spotlight thread on pumps in April if you want to go back and read through it or even resurrect. I used the Spectra 2 with no complaints I assume the 2+ is just a newer model
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @EErin86 I thought so too but couldn't find it. I'll look again.

• Options
    Redpuma119  I bought a used pump and then sold it again. 
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @spottedginger this is true, it may not be the best fit for someone struggling mentally with how well/poorly things are going.
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    As long as you don't read all of the comments on posts, Breastfeeding Mama Talk on Facebook is a good place for those who are doing well or not, they support fed is best basically.
  • Options
    @nlc8424 I had never heard of anyone not being able to breastfeed or having supply issues who was trying/ committed. Not wanting to or not enjoying it/ too uncomfortable, yes. I think it is one of those things that would be less of an unpleasant shock for moms at their most hormonal, exhausted, and vulnerable if it was more openly discussed, which is why I tend to bring it up. I plan to bf, pump, etc and use those sites again this go round. They are wonderful resources. 
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @spottedginger agreed. I had issues last time and practically killed myself trying to “just try harder”. There was no amount of trying that was ever going to make my boobs create enough milk so that I wouldn’t need to supplement with some formula. None of the classes or reading I did prepared me for that possibility. I don’t think it’s nearly as rare as they like to claim based on the number of friends I have that have had similar issues.  
    Both those sites are great resources, but it’d be nice if they would admit that sometimes failure is a possibility. 
  • Options
    smsaulino said:
    I got a list of five different pumps that my insurance covers: Ameda Finesse, Spectra S2 Plus, Medela Pump In Style Advanced Starter Kit, Nature's Bond Pure Model and Hygeia Enjoye. Having trouble deciding on one. I can order it June 18th. The only one that has reviews is the Medela and it has poor ones. If anyone has experience with these, I'd love to have the advice. I know I just got notified today but reading over the information makes me feel like I'm being thrown in the deep. 
    I used my Medela to pump at work for a year and had no complaints. I also had a Spectra S2 at home and had no complaints either. I'm probably going to order another Medela through insurance for this pregnancy just because that's the one I have all the spare parts for and it was great having all the extra pieces for my main pump.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    @smsaulino my insurance pump is nothing special so I registered for a Medela Pump In Style Advanced and had no problems with it. I pumped for a year (at work, nursed at home). I plan on using it again. I’ve also heard good things about the Spectra. My mom is a lactation consultant and asks patients and nurses which they prefer and those are the 2 that always come up.
  • Options
    Thanks y'all... I was able to find the old Product Spotlight thread and it helped. I was able to order it, but it won't get shipped out until June 18th because I'm not far enough along yet. It's just once less thing I have to worry about later on.