September 2018 Moms

Breastfeeding/pumping Q&A

Alright ladies, let's get this conversation started. What questions do you have?

Re: Breastfeeding/pumping Q&A

• Okay, I know that I will get a breast pump through insurance. Is that good enough? And, how/when do you all think I will get it? I have no idea how this happens. 

As a a side note, I couldn’t resist registering for the Hakkaa with the flower stopper. It’s just so cute and I want it! But I’m glad to see that it’s actually very useful! 
  • @magnolia209 - Whether or not it's good enough will depend on what your insurance provides. They are only required to provide a manual pump, which IMO is not enough if you will be pumping regularly at work, but most insurance plans seem to offer some selection of electric pumps. Your insurance company will be able to tell you which ones they offer.

For me to get my pump, I have to get a prescription from my OB and submit it to my insurance company's durable medical equipment provider sometime after 28 weeks. Once I did, they mailed out the pump I selected and it arrived at my house within a week. I think this process can be similar for lots of moms, but again your insurance company is the best place to ask for your specific process.

Just a note on the Hakkaa - I hear they work well, but be careful with use at the beginning. Since it has suction it acts as stimulation telling your breast to produce more milk. I'm part of a big FB breastfeeding group and there are moms who ended up with over supply from using their Hakkaa too early and too much. If you're looking for something to collect milk leakage when nursing from the other breast, I recommend checking out the Milkies Milk Saver. It sits in your bra/tank and collects leaking milk with no suction. With DS I always let down from both sides at once so I was able to collect a good amount just by using the Milk Saver.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • @magnolia209 I mention it to my ob around now and they write and send in a script, then the medical equipment company calls me and sets up delivery. It’s good to check w your insurance to find out what they will provide. Mine provides a double electric, which was all I needed, some I believe only offer a manual pump. I only recently discovered the Hakkaa! Just know it may or may not work for you, I didn’t leak at all ever w dd, so it wouldn’t have been helpful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Ugh, I apologize for the awkward formatting, the edit button isn’t cooperating this am.

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• I'll echo what everyone else said...you need to check to see what pump your insurance will cover and when they will cover it. My insurance would not cover the pump until the baby was delivered. My doc wrote me an order the day of delivery and my husband went and picked it up from the medical supply store in the hospital. No big deal! The hospital provides one so you don't really need it until you get home anyway. Also, I had a hard time with my supply so the lactation consultant wrote me a script for rental of a hospital grade pump so I had both a pump in style and then the hospital grade one. 
  • Random PSA too on buying pumps, they typically have a one year warranty, so if you're trying to breastfeed for a year, the closer to delivery you can buy, the more likely you'll be covered through your entire breastfeeding journey.

Also, I'd highly recommend a hands free kit. They have so many nice bras out on the market, but I struggled with investing in them since I pumped 24/7. I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/LactaMed-Simplicity-Hands-Free-Bra/dp/B00JAO6TT8/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527002576&sr=8-3&keywords=pump+hands+free+kit and just wore my usual nursing bras even when I went back to work. It helps you live out all your BDSM fantasies (that's a joke). I will be taking this hands free device with me to the hospital this time since babe ended up in the NICU last time, and having to hold flanges to my boobs for 15+ minutes was agonizing. It'd much rather be able to play a crappy cell phone game or scroll the internet than hold those flanges. 
  • nlc8424nlc8424 member
    +1 with all of you ladies above about the type of pump you need. @magnolia209 I'd also check out Lucie's List's review of pumps on her website because it talks about the difference in quality between pumps (suction, closed/open system, durability, ease of use, etc.). 

Definitely more than one set of pump parts is recommended, but I too would wait until baby is here to figure out size since nipple size can change. Also, your nipples may become a bit more elastic over the course of your BF journey that may require you to change flange size. 

There are some sites that will request the script from your doctor for you and show you your options (edgepark, aeroflow), it just requires you to put your insurance info in. Typically they won't allow you to get it until after 28 weeks. Also, I don't think it's necessary to bring your pump with you to the hospital unless you end up having a prolonged stay for some reason.

Lastly, +1 about being careful not to pump too much at first to not cause oversupply. This is painful! It takes the body weeks to adjust your production, and pumping between feedings often is just going to stimulate more production which may not be necessary. I'm planning on getting some milk savers this time too to help catch the excess. I'll also plan on using my manual pump at first if/when engorgement happens and baby has a hard time latching just to take a little pressure off.
  • As far as the oversupply.. if you are planning to pump and save for when you go back to work, is the oversupply a problem? 

On the PP thread, there was mention about hand expressing to release a little bit of pressure. Is this immediately prior to feeding? If so, why is it bad not to just let the babe get after it?

How do you know how much to pump? Like I hear that moms will feed and then pump the rest?
    Do you swap starting boob each time?
    Did anyone rent a hospital pump? I have heard they are way quicker.. but as opposed to what? How long does a medela type pump take?
  • nackienackie member
    @Redpuma119 an oversupply can be very painful and also lead to problems with mastitis. Last time I had a severe under supply so I plan to start pumping after nursing the day I get home from the hospital and hope for the best. 
    As far as relieving the pressure, if you’re really engorged that can make it hard for babies to latch. Especially early on. Taking just a little out first can help with that
    How long you need to pump can vary a lot between women, but once you get the hang of it you’ll be able to feel when you’re done. When I was doing it, I nursed for about 10 minutes per side then pumped for another 15. If I was just pumping, it usually took about 20-25 for the milk to stop coming. 

• I had no idea that oversupply could cause mastitis! Thanks for the insight!
  • nlc8424nlc8424 member
    edited May 2018
    Agree with @DanyTargaryen about oversupply. Oversupply can also mean an imbalance of fore and hind milk which can cause digestive issues for babies. I would pump in between feedings if I could, but the best time for me to pump was early morning (4-6 am) since my supply was highest at that point to try and catch some extra ounces. It took me a while to pump enough for a supply for work, you can expect maybe 0.5-2 oz between both breasts when you're pumping at first AND breastfeeding full time on demand. 

Yes about hand expressing before feeding, this is mostly during engorgement at first when babies mouth is really tiny and might be having trouble latching onto an engorged nipple. Also if you do have over active let down sometimes moms will express a little first so it's not such a big gulp to take it. Otherwise let baby at it!

I found I had to pump for about 15-20 minutes and I used a medela PISA. This was about 2 letdowns worth for me. I would pump for about 4-5 minutes after my last letdown. I could expect anywhere between 1.5-3 ounce per side when I was pumping at work, but it was roughly about 2 oz per side or 12 oz all day from 3 sessions. This did decrease over time to maybe 9-11 oz before I weaned.

Regarding switching sides while nursing, I typically did switch after about 10 minutes or so. It's best to let baby nurse as long as possible on one side before switching. Baby will probably get fussy once your flow is slowing down and they're still hungry which will prompt you to switch sides.

Can't speak about the hospital grade pump, but I didn't have any issues with my PISA. Just replace the membranes often and make sure everything is in good shape to keep it working well.
  • Thanks everyone. This is so helpful! The whole breastfeeding/pumping thing is so foreign/overwhelming/hard to think about. But, I'm trying to learn. I can't believe this is only 4 ish months away for us! 
  • I had some oversupply for about 2 months and it was a pain—literally—and really annoying. Then it evened our, then my supply started to drop after I went back to work. My body just didn’t respond well to the pump. I was pumping 9-12oz per day at first, and only like an ounce at the end of a year. And yet whenever I was with baby she exclusively breast fed and was fine!

Also, remember that if you’re breast feeding, if someone is giving her a bottle you should be pumping at that time to keep up supply. It’s not like you get “time off” if someone else is feeding the baby!

My insurance brought the pump to my room in the hospital before I was discharged.

The hands-free bra is a necessity for pumping!

My daughter was a very fast eater...feeding sessions lasted 5-10 minutes per side and she’d be done. Some kids take a half hour per side. 
  • nackienackie member
    Like @EErin86 I kept my pump parts in my cooler bag at my desk and only washed them once at the end of the day. It’s not the recommended practice, but there was no logistical way for me to wash and dry everything at work.
  • @nackie and @EErin86 I also just refrigerated my “dirty” pump parts between sessions. This was recommended by both by OB and my pediatrician. 
  • nlc8424nlc8424 member
    edited May 2018
    +1 to refrigerating pump parts between sessions. I also used the medela quick clean wipes too to mainly wipe off the lanolin from the flanges. And I also used the simple wishes pumping bra to be mainly hands free, but found my production to be better when I massaged as I pumped.
  • I pumped about 10-15 min per session. I usually only got one letdown, and pumping always worked better for me if I pumped both sides at once (so the hands free bra was great for that). I would feed DD on one side each session and would alternate but I never had issues with clogged ducts or oversupply. I only pumped if I was going to be away from her or sometimes after her morning feed (since that’s when I always had extra milk and I was going to pump at work the next time anyway so I wasn’t worried about fully emptying).

I also wasn’t planning on pumping for a few weeks after birth so that my milk would regulate but I needed to take steroids a week after delivery due to an allergic reaction and had to pump before I took them each day. Luckily my milk regulated just fine. I was able to pump for a year (my goal) and nurse/use frozen milk for a few months after that.
  • FTM and this thread is incredibly helpful.  Thank you to everyone!
  • I was the one with all of the oversupply. Preemie, born by c section, and he didn't eat at all for a week, and didn't take anything by mouth for another whole week after that. So I was pumping for 20 min every 2-3 hours, shortly developed enough to feed three babies his size. He came home at 3 weeks old nursing full time, but legit I had to hand mp manual express an ounce before each feed, and the pump after it, so he could latch and I didn't get clogs. He also was small and needed a nipple shield to latch. I only had one set of pump parts at first, but got a second one fast. With a preemie, I wasn't allowed to just put parts in fridge until he was 6 months old. So the whole pump feed pump clean thing took over an hour, especially as he was high needs and I literally couldn't set him down for an hour after he ate because it bothered his tummy...and he ate every 2 hours from start of feed to start of feed, during the day, and every 3-4 overnight.

I got lucky in having great lactation support that helped me pump wean (as I didn't work and so didn't need to pump until he was 6 months old) without getting mastitis, but the time involved in dealing with oversupply (which was likely part of the reason for his tummy troubles-too much came in too fast and with too much early milk) and everything was...awful. 

Plus one to getting a double electric but having a manual backup was important to me too. And I only worked part time-short shifts, so I used my super awesome Freemie double manual for most of my work pumping- as I had no outlet, no privacy, no table, and no real good time to pump, lol. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also refrigerated pump parts between sessions, but FYI, now the CDC recommends that you wash (in a separate basin) parts every single time as soon as feasible. I will probably still just rinse and refrigerate, unless we have a preemie or something. I don't think the reasoning behind the recommendation warrants it, but that's another discussion. Having a 2nd set (or several sets) of pump parts is another option.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • @treeofcheem She's totally correct, and I would have ignored the recommendations if I had a healthy newborn and wasn't pumping until 8-10 weeks old. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Question for those who pump at work: Where do you pump? I work at a small family business, and I'm struggling with what the best solution is.

Last time I just pumped in my office with a sign on the door saying to come back later. I technically shared the office but most of the time had it to myself. There are a bunch of windows, but it's upstairs and depending on where I sit, I'm barely visible. I always just used a nursing cover just in case.

This time, I have coworkers in my office whose schedules overlap more with mine so it's not always going to be available for pumping. There's another office that's often empty, but it would require adding door/window coverings - the door is an interior sliding glass door, so zero privacy, and there's also an uncovered window. There's office equipment (fax, copier, etc.) in there, but that's probably not time-sensitive or we can figure out another solution for those. The biggest issue is that it's right next to the break room, so I feel like the noise from the pump will be awkward... Do I just need to get over that? Turn on some music? Try to avoid lunchtime?

The only other places are the owner's office (not practical), a storage "room" with a screen door (??! I don't understand either) that could probably be fixed up a bit but is very cold in the winter, or a bathroom, public space, or my car (no, no, and preferably not).

Please tell me about your pumping places and how you make it work best in a less-than-ideal space.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • nackienackie member
    @treeofcheem I’m lucky that I have my own office with no windows and a door, but when I was at a customer location, I pumped in my car. It wasn’t ideal, but there really wasn’t anywhere else I could go. I figure that will be what I do this time as well. 
  • jumpy57jumpy57 member
    Pumping location...
    I'm lucky that I'm in a fairly large newer building and they have a designated room for pumping with a locking door. The only trick is coordinating with other pumpers if there are any. In other offices (when I visit) one I used a locker/shower room that wasn't a bathroom, another was a storage area, I think I was desperate one time and pumped in a bathroom.

I think the pump seems louder to a pumping mom than it is and I doubt people would hear it or notice through a wall
  • Question: I don’t know if we have any third time moms but if we do, anyone have supply changes between first and second baby? 

I exclusively pumped for for ten months, usually 30-35 minutes each time to get the second let down at around 30 minutes. 

Best advice I would give is find a consultant you like of their are issues. My pediatricians consultant rubbed me the wrong way, so I only went back twice when we had issues and finally ended up exclusively pumping. I don’t know if it would have made a difference if
    I liked the woman but it’s one thing I’ll change this time.

• A girlfriend gave me here old pump. (A year old is all.) I have read conflicting info about using someone else's pumps. Maybe even on this board. Thoughts?
  • @Redpuma119 - It depends on the brand - Spectra has backflow protectors meaning milk cannot get back through the tubes into the machine base. Medela does not have this feature so if you're not careful milk could technically work its way back up the tubes into the base.

If I knew and trusted the person, and they told me milk never backed up into the machine, I would use it. Or if it was one like a Spectra where that can't happen. If I didn't know the person, that would be a different story.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • I can't remember what type it is. I was skeptical when she said I could have it, but did mention that it is one that the milk doesn't go through the entire system and that I would just need to change out tubing parts. Thanks @danytargaryen @pourmeamocktail
  • @Redpuma119 - I was given a Spectra by another mom on my BMB from DS. I didn't even replace any of the pieces, I just boiled to sanitize as I would have if the pump was brand new.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16