October 2018 Moms
Options

Questions 5/11

Re: Questions 5/11

• Options
    So, I realized that my personal lubricant says under the disclaimers to not use if you are pregnant.  I started looking at some other brands, and they all seem to have the same warning (even KY- which is what they used for my pap at my 6wk appt).

Has anyone else noticed this?  Any idea what the risk is?  Anyone checked with their OB about it?

I’m guessing it is a CYA thing, but curious. 
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    @knottieamusements I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to use lubricant...that seems unnecessarily drastic.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sliztee - I know, right?  I was very confused.  I first saw it on a sample packet of lube to “enhance sensation”, but then I saw it was also on the more basic lubes. 
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    Meh, I wouldn't pay it any attention, but if you're worried then maybe shoot your doctor an email through a web portal if they have one?
  • Options
    Mostly curious rather than worried. 
  • Options
    I feel like it's probably just one of those things they have to put to make their lawyers happy. 
  • Options
    I know the enhancers are not suggested as everything is more sensitive with the added blood flow and swelling so the reactions can be stronger and potentially painful. 
  • Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    Anyone use or have used a belly support band? Not sure I need one yet but with running I may need one sooner rather than later. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Laumb11 They gave me one after my csection, I never used it, but if I can find it I’m going to bust it out. I’ll let you know!
  • Options
    I’m living away from my mom and want her to be here for the birth of the baby (not important that she’s here for the ACTUAL birth though, just want her to meet baby immediately, as I won’t be able to visit her until a few months after the birth).

I’m a FTM and usually hear that our babies tend to be later, but after speaking to an OB friend of mine, she says that’s BS and it just depends on when your body is ready.

I want to be able to buy flights soon seeing as flights get real expensive but I’m not sure what to go for in terms of dates.  My gut is telling me to get her here after the due date, but that’s risky because what if we get unlucky and I go into labor the day she’s supposed to arrive??

I want her to be here for two weeks. What do you all suggest?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Strange about the lube...coconut oil is a good choice of you're thinking of going natural for the time being. 

My first baby was 10 days after the due date, play it safe and schedule the flight later. They won't let you go past 2 weeks late. You might have the baby on time or even early but there is no way to know and if she wants the full 2 weeks with baby she may want to buy that ticket for 2 weeks after your expected due date. 
  • Options
    @laurasauruss I would book her flight for later. My SIL was almost 3 weeks late, and sure, my MIL probably would’ve liked to have been there for the birth, but they figured her help would be way more needed after the birth instead of having her sitting around waiting, too. She ended up visiting SIL about 10 days after and it worked out well. So yeah, maybe aim for 2 weeks after the due date? 
  • Options
    I was 3 almost 4 weeks early with my first. You just never know when baby will come. 
  • Options
    @laurasauruss I would also choose a later flight. If you do wind up going into labor early she can always move her flight up. You’ll likely wind up with change fees, but better that than have her sitting around the house with you for a week and a half and then only with the baby for a couple days.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @laurasauruss can she take a cab or Lyft if you’re in labor? Or have a friend on call to get her?
    Also voting for later, though-I am sure the airline would move her up if she calls and explains she’s trying to make it for the birth of her grandchild. I’ve had pretty good experiences with my usual airline waving fees to get me across the country for urgent family matters.
  • Options
    pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited May 2018
    @laurasauruss FWIW, I was 2.5 weeks early (1st born) My younger brother was 2 weeks early. I'm actually hoping I'm going to be early because my bro and I were big babies (7 lb 11 oz and 8 + lb), and DH thinks he was a big baby too. I'm in the same boat as you, my parents live on the other side of the world and will have to fly in as well (pretty much a full 24 hours of travel for them). I don't know when to tell my mom to come in, but it's probably going to be on the earlier side. Now my mom doesn't work, so she has a lot of flexibility on how long she can stay and will be staying about a month (I guess? Who knows) but my dad will have to go back much sooner.  It's a tough decision! Probably why my parents jokingly told me to hold off having kids until they were permanently back home lol. Whoopsie. :D

ETA: DH just told me he was 2 days early and 8 lb 10 oz. (1st born as well, both his parents are 6', so we have some tall genes). Officially terrified for a big ass baby!  :s
  • Options
    @laurasauruss I am in the same boat...my parents live across the country from me. My mom has decided to just bite the bullet and pay the higher flight costs and book her flight when I go in to labor. My in-laws will likely pick her up from the airport or she will take a cab. My dad will likely come later but may come with my mom if he can get out of work. She plans to stay for a couple of weeks so she is going to get a one way ticket here and then a one way ticket home when she is ready to leave. We decided together that we would rather her be here after the baby is here than having her here in time for the actual birth.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    @laurasauruss I have heard of people calling parents that need to fly in when they are in the beginning stages of labor. The parents book the next available flight to get there as close to the birth as possible.  I don’t fly often, so I don’t know how reasonable that actually is.  I’m sure some of it depends on how many flights there are between your cities each day.

FWIW, I am the oldest and I was born 1 day before my due date.  My sister’s oldest was also born before her due date (my boys were too but they were a planned c-section and I never went into labor, so that won’t really help you).  I’ve heard, and I don’t know how true it is, that you’re more likely to deliver your first like your mother delivered her first (long labor or short labor, early or late). More likely doesn’t mean definitely, but that might give you something to base your decision on and it has been true for my mom and sister.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @laurasauruss I also want my mom here asap. For my first I didn't want anyone to visit the first few weeks b/c I wanted to get settled and into a little bit of a routine with baby first, which I am so happy we did. Now I'll need help with my DS a little bit. I would book a later date and if she gets there a few days later that's not terrible. I was a week late with my first. My cousin was a week early, I mean you never know! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It’s a totally crapshoot when baby will decide to show up. In the weeks leading up to delivery you/your doc may be able to give you a better guess if you’ll be early or late based on how you’re progressing. But even that isn’t always a sure bet. At my 40 week appointment my OB said she was nearly sure she’d be seeing me the following week for my 41 week check. I went into labor the next day.

On average, FTMs go over. So booking later is probably the safest bet statistically. But you never know. 
  • Options
    My first was born 13 weeks early - no risk factors, no signs of preterm labour before that day, there really just is no way to know when/how labour is going to go. My parents were on vacation in Arizona (we’re in Alberta, Canada). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FWIW - my Mom lives a six hour drive away (even flying ends up about 4-5hrs when you add everything up, not to mention airline schedules).  She is planning to come 3-4 days before my due date and stay 2-3 weeks after baby is born.  

However, neither of us are making firm plans, and if Blast comes early, she’ll come as soon as she can.  If Blast comes late, we both have a pretty good handle on our tolerance for each other, and are both comfortable saying “time to go home.”

I would like to have her here as soon after birth as possible to help me with the routine stuff - laundry, meals, dishes, so I can focus on getting baby figured out. That said- if I had a nesting partner (spouse, fiance, etc) or her traveling was onerous, my personal preference would be for her to come a few days after birth so I had time to settle in with baby and nobody was rushed or financially stressed. 
  • Options
    Sorry if this question has already been asked, but when is everyone signing up for and taking all of the classes? I know I’ve seen a couple of you mention them and I know they fill quickly but I haven’t done any research about them and don’t know where to start! I thought my doctor would mention something at one of my appointments (and I forgot to ask last week) but so far nothing.
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    We just signed up yesterday for the prenatal class offered by our hospital. It is 4 class session on Wednesday evenings and goes over labour and delivery: an overview of stages, comfort measures and coping skills for pregnancy and labour, medications and interventions, caesarian section, breastfeeding, and resources. It also offers a tour of the hospital and their guidelines
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @spartan4life

I’m taking classes through the hospital that I am delivering at in late July/early August.  I didn’t discuss this with my doctor, although I think the nurse mentioned that they are available during my first appointment when they went over all the information about pregnancy.  I just found them on the website.  

I don’t think the classes I am taking fill up quickly, but mostly because the hospital offers them several times a month, and they are pretty generic.  If I wanted to take something like hypnobabies or a Bradley method class, I think those fill up more quickly.  
  • Options
    @chyvie and @knottieamusements Thank you!! I work at the hospital where I will be delivering so I will check here first and see if they offer anything.
  • Options
    zwink1zwink1 member
    The information provided by my birth hospital suggested taking the classes in your 7th/8th month, when you're closer to using the information so that you retain more of it. I haven't signed up for any classes yet as we've been waiting on H's schedule to balance out, but we're looking at July/August/early Sept.
  • Options
    chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited May 2018
    @spartan4life my OB told me the hospital offered a few versions of classes, so just went and signed up there. Ended up picking a six week comprehensive + the hospital tour. The class covers birthing, breastfeeding, and a week on newborn care.
    Maybe your doc could suggest some?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I waited until I was about 6 months until I decided that I wanted to take a class and by then the soonest opening was 2 weeks before my due date. I was definitely the most pregnant one there. Most people were around 7 months.
  • Options
    bel194bel194 member
    I would start looking into it now.  Our hospital offers either a 6-week course or a "weekend express" version, a breastfeeding class, infant massage, safety, new dad bootcamp, and a sibling class.  They seem to do them on a quarterly basis though so it can be tricky timing-wise.  Since we had DD 5 years ago, they've completely redone their maternity ward, so we are just going to do a "refresher" course, where they give you a packet of info and you get to do the tour.  

My favorite thing about originally doing the birthing classes was getting to do the tour (if you are on the fence, I would at least look into doing that part!) and I think it was good for DH, it made him much more useful than I think he would have otherwise been during labor and delivery.  We chose not to do any of the specialty classes; for me, it would have been too overwhelming whereas the generic classes that our hospital offered help me to be just the right amount of prepared. 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    Thank you all! I did a little searching this morning and our hospital does offer several different classes. I think we will plan to do the childbirth one, the infant safety one and the tour. They all have to be scheduled separately but I think we will plan to do them in september. It looks like there are still openings. I don’t plan to BF so I think we will skip that one.

@bel194 I think we will stick to the basic ones as well. I don’t need anything else to be overwhelmed about...this whole pregnancy thing has been enough of that for me  ;) 
  • Options
    I signed up a couple weeks ago because she said they can fill up quickly but I think I was super early still. My doc told me that most people do them around Week 28. We're doing ours in July (4-week class), I didn't want to wait too long to do it. We could've done it in August but the day of the week didn't work out for us.
  • Options
    For anyone considering Bradley or hypnobirth classes I know they are multi week classes. Bradley is 12 weeks. 
  • Options
    My hospital offers a few different ones, but the main one is a 1 day (all day) course. Another branch of the hospital does it in 2 days. I'm wondering if it would make a difference if I took it at the other hospital. I'll have to ask.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I would check with your hospital about that. I was looking this morning and some of the hospitals in the system where I will deliver offer them on campus and those include a tour, but the campus where I will deliver doesn’t offer them there but offers tours separately. I don’t think it would matter if you took the class at a different site, but you then may or may not get a tour.
  • Options
    Any recommendations for restless legs? They're the worst when I'm trying to go to bed, but they have been acting up at work too.
  • Options
    tinattt23tinattt23 member
    edited May 2018
    @sammierose464 I had them so bad with DS. Like in tears because I’m so tired and just want to sleep but my legs won’t let me. Lots of iron has helped in the past. Frosted mini wheats are actually packed with iron and easy to snack on. But iron did nothing when I wasn’t pregnant. OB recommended magnesium. I can’t do pills, so I ended up with a liquid (chalky) calcium/magnesium supplement. That did the trick. 

ETA: They got worse after delivery. Also had shooting/stabbing pains in my boobs while breastfeeding. Lactation consultant again said magnesium. Went back on it and all was well. This time I’ll keep taking after birth for at least a few weeks.