Health & Exercise

Running a Race

I signed up for a 5 mile race before I knew I was pregnant. I've been consistent about working out(spin, dance, and yoga classes) 4 days a week. I added running 2-3 times a week when I decided to train for this race (about the same time I conceived). I used to run in college and I have a competitive spirit. If I run a pretty hard pace during this race, will my baby be Okay? The race is this Saturday and I'll be 6.5 weeks.

Re: Running a Race

• I definitely think you'll be okay. I have been running at least once a week throughout my pregnancy, and at 22 weeks my baby is super healthy! I even did a 10k trail race at 19 weeks and it went super well (a little slow but otherwise great). Listen to your body, keep in touch with your doctor, and you will be fine :-)
  • Yes, you can run a race while pregnant. But racing during pregnancy is not a time to try to set your personal record. While this advice and concern come from a good place, the truth is, that running is generally safe during your pregnancy. Running won't reason a miscarriage or harm your baby. So if you were a runner pre-pregnancy, continuing your routine is fine running a race should be something done for the pure joy of the experience, not for setting a personal record. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I run about 4-5 km in the morning and feel much better