September 2018 Moms
Options

STM+ check in May

Re: STM+ check in May

• Options
    @nlc8424 How’s he doing now?
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @BostonBaby1 he is so-so, less than 101 all day yesterday (mainly in the 99 degree range) so off to daycare he went. He was in a good mood, just constant runny nose. Par for the course at this age. He has tubes so it makes it harder for me to rule out what might be going on if it's not an ear infection since that's all I knew for about 6 months! Thanks for asking! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    Well it looks like the main culprit actually is teeth. His 2 year molars are coming in (poking through the gums) and its resulted in this low grade temp. Also because of teeth he's had his hands in his mouth and has a cold. While I appreciate that doctors say teething doesn't cause a fever, my kiddo has had a fever with all molars coming in. I'm majorly surprised our nights haven't been rocky (***knocking on ALL the wood***)  but I feel bad for all the snot and low grade temp. Dare I say I'm excited these are the last teeth to come in?!
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @nlc8424 my kiddo has had a fever with each of his molars as well. He stayed home from daycare today due to fever, but I’m 90% sure it’s his last molar coming in.
  • Options
    @nlc8424

That is SO SO SO sweet. That is something my son would do too, and I would totally cry about it.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jumpy57jumpy57 member
    We were at my parents house this weekend and we put DD on a twin mattress on the floor instead of in her pack and play and it went really well!!!! Granted, we stayed in the room until she feel asleep and we didn't try it for nap time. But fingers crossed  when we eventually make the switch this means it won't be horrible!
    The low point of the weekend was the balance bike I got her for her birthday is just a tad too tall. She got some other cool stuff though so I'm more bummed than she is.
  • Options
    EErin86  How old is DD? Glad she did well on the mattress, hoping when we switch DD to a toddler bed it goes well. 
  • Options
    MH is going out of town this weekend and my DD and I are looking forward to a fun girls' weekend! Just for fun: what are your favorite special one-on-one activities to do with your kids?
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @southernlady07 so in my mind for an older kiddo I imagine it would be fun to go to a movie or do a movie with popcorn at home, (with a girl) paint nails and do hair and make up and take some cute/silly pictures, go out to dinner or if you're into any of the food network shows you could do some kind of cooking challenge at home. Maybe none of these are practical or enjoyable with a 5/6 year old haha, but I think that would be fun!
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    Ok, so how are we getting the toddlers to stop kicking the crap out of our bellies? I don't think there's actually a way to do it and I know we've brought it up before, but ouch, damnit! It hurts! I'm having a really hard time convincing my kid that he can't jump all over me and I end up scream cursing at him when he manages to head butt me, crush my nipple and knee me in the ute all at the same time. He's seriously hurting me and I feel like a monster when I yell at him but it hurts so much I just react and start screaming. So much mom guilt!!! I don't want to yell or push him away but I feel like I need to protect myself. For the record he's not being bad or malicious, just a normal squirrelly toddler.
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @stothi I'm not sure either  :/. I usually tell DS that he's hurting mama and going to make mama cry and he sometimes will respond well to that. Other than ignoring as much as possible and stepping away if I can or putting him down if he's on my lap, that's all I've got.
  • Options
    @stothi Yeah, mine is huge into books, I sit on floor, he grabs a book and runs over and sits/falls hard onto belly and then shoves backwards because he doesn't fit onto lap.

Been trying to teach him to sit on my lap to the side where there's space. Not much luck. I try not to yell. Sometimes I fail. I try to only yell ouch, because he kinda knows what that means.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    stothi  No idea. DD is 19 months old and she does not understand it hurts me or that there is a baby in there. I just put her down and give her a toy or book to distract her. Hurts though. She also climbs the couch and grabs on to me as she gets up - grabbing my nips in the process. Ouch!
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @stothi mine is in a massive Daddy phase and doesn’t want much to do with me, so that’s helping a lot:). But mainly I’ve just been telling him repeatedly that he’s hurting mommy and he needs to be gentle with mommy’s tummy. It helps for about 45 seconds  
  • Options
    @nlc8424 Those are ALL things she would enjoy! ;)@nlc8424 @arcticseal-2 Thank you ladies for the suggestions!! We do have lunch plans with some friends and a pool play date another day, then I think we'll have a nails/popcorn/movie night, do some baking together, go out for some special treats (donuts/ice cream) and play lots of board and card games. I also told her she could have sleepovers with me both nights which I may later regret but oh well :D

@stothi I don't have any suggestions for you, but wanted to say I'm sorry you are dealing with that.  <3

• Options
    @stothi DD would hit my belly so I started telling her it’s her baby in there so she needs to be gentle. Now she kisses it or waves to it instead. My step-MIL said that worked after her second was born as well to get her 1st one to be nice and gentle with him.
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @JLyn821 poor thing! That is a cute little cast though. I hope she adjusts soon and the crying decreases. I have a pretty good threshold for crying, but can definitely hit my limit when it's all day long.
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @JLyn821 what happened if you don't mind me asking? I don't know if you already shared. I'm so sorry her leg is broken, but that cast is adorably tiny.
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @stothi how’d day one of potty training go for you guys?  We managed to get shockingly low amounts of pee on the floor.  He did wait until he had his nap time diaper on to poop though so that was disappointing. Not sure if it was intentional or just bad timing. 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    nackie said:
    @stothi how’d day one of potty training go for you guys?  We managed to get shockingly low amounts of pee on the floor.  He did wait until he had his nap time diaper on to poop though so that was disappointing. Not sure if it was intentional or just bad timing. 
    We hit about 50/50 pee on the floor vs in the potty. We're going cold turkey with no more diapers. Packed up the diapers and put the changing table and diaper pail in storage and moved a regular little trashcan and laundry basket into buddy's room.  We went totally naked today except for pajamas at nap and bedtime. No diapers or undies though. Just pajamas. He got a good pee in before nap so he woke up dry but then wouldn't change out of his jammies and he peed in them. 
    All in all I would say it was successful. Yes pee got on the floor and the rug and the jammies and the yard BUT an equal amount of pee and a good poop went into the potty and most of those potty trips he initiated himself. 
    I'm undecided if tomorrow will be another full naked day or if we'll do just loose boxers so he can practice getting clothes off in time.
    My husband is in charge of doing the night wake up/pee checks and we are fully anticipating pee in the crib. We've got a plan to deal with it though, so fingers crossed it's not a disaster!

I'll be sad next week when hubby's back to work and I'm in charge of pee clean up solo. It's been so nice having the both of us available to do this whole potty thing today. Overall I feel really good about how things went today.
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @nackie since my kid still wakes up 1-3 times a night there's nothing for us to be scared of messing up, lol!* Since he's been back my hubby has been up with buddy at night almost every single night anyhow so we figured we might as well go for it. I guess that's the upside of having a crappy sleeper? I wasn't sure my husband would be able to get, cause lord knows that man can sleep through an alarm, but he got up around 2:30am, got our still dry (yay!) toddler out of his crib, had him sit on the potty (potty chair next to the crib with the lights still off) pee, cuddled him a bit and had him back in bed and asleep in about 4.5 minutes! Kiddo's still asleep now so I don't know if we made it all night without pee but even if he did pee in the second half, I still think it's a successful night if I only have to do one bed change worth of laundry.
    If I had to do nights by myself kiddo would be in night diapers until he was 12, so major props to the husband for be willing to take this on! I'm not even joking. I don't have it in me right now to tackle even day time potty training by myself, let alone nighttime, so major, major, shout out to Hubby for stepping up.
    I think we are going to just ask Buddy if he wants another naked day or if he wants to try just some loose boxers and let him decide what we direction we go in today.

*Kiddo takes short naps too, like 40 minutes to maybe an hour and a half, so it's again a pretty low risk gamble to let him go diaperless at naptime. We put his water bottle up 1 hour before nap and 3 hours before bed. If he gets thirsty he can totally have a sip of water, but only a sip or two from a little cup so he's not downing a gallon 2 seconds before going to sleep.

Good luck today! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your guy gets his poop in the potty and not on the floor or in his diaper! (And I'll be crossing my fingers for no poop on my floor either ; ) )
  • Options
    JLyn821JLyn821 member
    @stothi We were outside playing (for the first time at the new house, too) and she stumbled down a little slope. DH was in front of her and he saw her take a really hard step before she caught herself and started crying. That must have been the break happening. Both bones in her leg, just a little above her ankle. 

She's doing a lot better now and has started walking on it well enough. So that’s good. 
    Daisypath - RkZ5
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @JLyn821 oh, poor thing! That sucks! And such an innocent activity. It's not like she was doing anything crazy!
  • Options
    We put a big emphasis on being gentle with everyone; daycare focuses on “gentle hands” and “safe bodies” which helps, and we have a dog that we of course always emphasize being gentle with! I think it’s helped a lot with my just-turned-2-year-old not being to rough on my belly. The idea that being gentle has nothing to do with me and my belly, and is just a general rule! 
  • Options
    @jlyn821 Poor girl! Glad to hear she's loving her painted toes!
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    Moms with older kiddos- my husband just asked a question I don't know the answer to:
    When does a kid start wiping their own butt?
    I believe my 2.5 year old would try, but I know that would mean poop on his hands, surrounding surfaces and it still being on his butt, so he 100% will need help for the near future. Hubby was wondering how/when do you teach the kiddos to clean up their own poopy butts?
  • Options
    @stothi
    Dd is 4.25 yo and wipes her own pee once in a while, she’s totally capable if we weren’t so worried about germs. I asked my friend just the other day this same question, and really I think it comes down to the kid and when you’re ready to deal w it. 

For us, it won’t be for a very long time I’m pretty sure...  :s

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Options
    @stothi I only have experience with a girl, but it was definitely easier for her to learn to wipe after pee than poop. She was probably close to 4.5 before we felt comfortable not double checking that she had wiped well after pooping.

• Options
    JLyn821  Poor thing!
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    edited May 2018
    @nackie how'd potty training go today? Buddy wanted to be naked again yesterday but today I insisted (gently) on undies and a shirt. He stayed dry through naps and the night all weekend! This morning though we didn't get to him quickly enough and he peed in the crib after he woke up. Poor guy was so upset!!! We're going to wake him up just a little early tomorrow to make sure that we are there in time. We only had one accident today and it was just him missing the potty. He made it to the potty in time but he sat too far forward so the pee just went down the outside of the potty. He was so careful the rest of the day to make sure his penis was all the way in and down! He'd sit, look down, scooch back, look down again and then go. It was pretty funny. According to the book I'm using this means tomorrow or the next day we have to try leaving the house, eep! I'm so intimidated!!! It's one thing if he pees on my floor but I'm pretty nervous about the idea of him peeing in the grocery cart or somewhere at a store. He wouldn't be the first kid to do it though, right? 

• Options
    @stothi it sounds like it’s going really well! I’m sure lots of kids have peed in public places. Could you maybe go to a park or something so that if he does pee, at least you’re outside on the grass?
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    edited May 2018
    @yosemite2018 I love that idea but it's already really hot here  and I'm having some fairly serious mobility issues too :/ I really like that idea though. I feel like the zoo would be great too cause I guarantee kids and animals have peed aaaaaallll over that place and there are lots of bathrooms. Unfortunately it's so dang hot and my hips wouldn't survive the hills. Now I'm trying to rack my brain if there's a small aquarium or something near my house that might work.
    My son's obsessed with "going to Target," for some reason, so I had been just kinda assuming that's where we'd take him. It's not a far drive so I don't think he'd pee in the car and we could go straight in and check out the bathrooms, then over to the produce section and pick out some fruit, self check out and get out in under 15-20 minutes. That's kinda what I'd been thinking. They have those disinfectant wipes for the cart handles so I figured if he peed in the cart seat I could mop it up with those and then stick it in the cart return stall in the sun. That would be clean enough I think. I mean hopefully no one is licking the carts or anything...

Eta: yes! I think it's going really well too! I was so intimidated to start potty training but now I'm absolutely amazed at how well it's gone so far. I was just telling my husband that I'm so (happily) surprised but still kinda anxious waiting for something to go horribly wrong. We've always since buddy was little tried to be good about normalizing pee and poo and making diaper changes a happy time, like we don't say ''ew, poop, gross!" Instead we say, "whoa! That's a lot of poop! Good job getting your poop out! Does your tummy feel great now?" Stuff like that. And we always let him come to the bathroom with us, so I'm wondering if that all helped or if my kid's just at the right age or what. I don't know, but I'm so very grateful that is so far so good!

Extra eta: I'm reading Oh, Crap! Potty Training.
    I didn't have a firm idea of where to start and this book/author seemed to jive with my style of parenting. I don't agree 100% with everything in the book, but I don't think any of us will really ever agree 100% with someone else's ideas of how to parent/teach our kids, but this book really worked for me overall. She answered so many of my questions! So far I'm really happy with how well using her suggestions is working out for us.

• Options
    So DS is 90-95% potty trained at this point (fx I don’t jinx it by typing this), but almost always poops during overnight and sometimes nap, too so we do pull ups for sleeping times. Do any of the books have tips about how to address that? 
  • Options
    jumpy57jumpy57 member
    @stothi I'm glad that book is working because I just started reading it!!! We will potty train once DD moves up a room at daycare in the next couple weeks

Another place you could try and shop is at a PetSmart or similar store. Dogs pee on the floor all the time, they have sanitizing spray everywhere, and you can look at the fish and critters like a mini zoo