October 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Strollers

The double stroller post was never converted to include all strollers and I need some stroller help, so I hope it’s ok that I started this!
Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Product Spotlight: Strollers

• Options
     Target has strollers on sale until tomorrow and with their car seat return program, their prices are the best I’m seeing (mostly because of the return - the sale isn’t that great, but I’d rather get one now & save the extra money than next week before the coupon expires). I just don’t know which stroller to get! 

I’m stuck between the City Mini and the Chicco Bravo. I’m pretty sure we’re getting the Chicco car seat, so the Bravo makes sense for using with the seat and not needing a $60 adapter.  The basket on the Bravo also looks bigger, but reviews say the canopy is pretty small.  I have a City Mini double and love pretty much everything about it, especially the huge canopy for keeping the sun out. Baby will be 6 months in April, so in theory I could get away with no stroller until then and not get the adapter (because Buffalo winters are hard to use strollers in anyway).  I’ve also seen a review that said the City Mini sometimes tips if you hit a bump.  The double has 2 wheels on the front, so I never had an issue with that and it was only 1 review out of hundreds. 

Does anybody have any experience with those strollers?
  • Options
    @purplegoldfish2 We have the City Mini single (want the double for when baby comes) and we love it! We haven’t had any issues with tipping over. Maybe that’s just user error? We love how big the canopy is and how smooth it rides. The basket isn’t that big but I can fit a kid’s backpack and my diaper bag under it just fine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I loved the double - so easy to steer (at least with 2 kids the same size) and fits everywhere a wheelchair does, so you shouldn’t have trouble taking it most places.
  • Options
    We are going with the Uppbaby Vista with the Mesa carseat. Tried this out in the store and it was beautifully designed, plus multiple moms chimed in telling us their amazing experience with Uppababy. It's definitely one of our splurge items, but excited to finally order this soon!!

*Plus, if you live in Massachusetts, or somewhat close, you can get deals from their factory. Hoping to save some money that way!
  • Options
    We're debating the Mesa/Uppa Cruz combo vs the Chicco 30/Bravo.  This is our last kid so spending all the money for Uppa is a bit much but also want something that will work for us and last.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @tropical1982 We went stroller shopping yesterday (missed Target’s sale but we couldn’t decide).  I had my 40lb 5 year olds get in them so we could see how they handle with some weight in them.  The Bravo is one we tried and I wasn’t a fan.  It didn’t feel like I could push it straight. My husband said it looked fine, but then he tried it and agreed that he didn’t like the way it handled.  The Chicco Viaro (or whatever it’s called, the 3 wheel version) was super easy to push. My hesitation with that is the canopy is small, but it is not attached at the back of the stroller, so it can be pulled farther forward if needed.

The City Mini GT was by far my favorite.  We didn’t try UppaBaby because the GT is more than we want to spend. The GT handled pretty much the same as Chicco’s Viaro and has the bigger canopy.  You can get the adapter for the car seat for that one (or just get a frame stroller until baby is big enough for it).
  • Options
    We are looking at the J is for Jeep brand jogger (https://a.co/av0aJvr) and the Baby Trend Expedition Jogger (https://a.co/g4WH2dj). DH and my mom both had Jeep brand strollers (they've renamed the brand) and LOVED them. Although, I'm nervous because this stroller isn't the same one as they had. You can't get the same one anymore. It looks like the one we are looking at is a new model, so I'm a little nervous about that since there's so few reviews. The Baby Trend gets amazing reviews for it's price point. 

I really want the BOB Jogger, but DH is against spending so much money on it.
  • Options
    We have the Chicco Bravo for our first and had no issues with it.  It seems large enough to fit anything we need and I felt the canopy was a good size.  I'd say that it's best used on smooth pavement (it goes through grass fine) as the tires aren't as large as an all-terrain stroller.   

@sammierose464 The BOB Jogger is AMAZING!  I actually got mine off of Facebook market place for a great deal and it was in practically new condition. I'm glad we didn't have to spend so much, but it honestly would have been worth it.  It's such an great all-terrain stroller.  
  • Options
    We're going to get the City Mini Gt double stroller. DH is struggling to get past the sticker shock but I'm obsessed with this stroller!!
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    Lisa3379Lisa3379 member
    edited May 2018
    I absolutely love our BOB - it was seriously money well spent. I started walking with DS in the stroller multiple times a week ever since he was a month old, and we got our BOB when he was about 6 months. So much nicer than the Britax, especially since our sidewalks are gravel. But yeah, check online for used ones - I always see strollers listed on Nextdoor, for instance. But if you plan to do a lot of walking/jogging, a new one could be well worth it, too. 
  • Options
    pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited May 2018
    @nikimelon that's what I'm thinking too! I love the look of them, and I felt like they handled pretty easy. Plus, the convertibility is appealing since I'm probably going to have kids closer in age so I think I'd get good use out of them

Also, I'm kind of a hippie and love the fact that the mesa doesn't have flame retardants in the fabric. Probably one of the #1 selling points for me.

Edit: grammar
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    We have the Chicco Bravo and the BOB Jogger. The Bravo was great while she was still tiny and we could just click the infant seat in, but once she was big enough for the BOB, the Bravo hasn't been used since. Luckily I got my BOB for free from my cousin's friend who just really wanted it out of her garage. I wouldn't be able to choke down the full price tag!
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I absolutely love my BOB! If you can convince your husband, you should definitely get it. If you keep yours I’m good condition, they hold their resale value pretty well, so you can tell your husband that when you don’t need it anymore, you can sell it and make back some of the money spent. You can also look on your local sites to see if you can get one used in good condition. They’re always being resold by parents who don’t need them anymore. 
  • Options
    I've been keeping an eye out for one used. DH keeps giving me crap for looking for used stuff since we still have our shower to come. The stroller is the ONE thing I'm being super picky on, but he hates that you have to buy all of the "accessories" (infant seat adapter, tray table etc). He doesn't see it being worth it. 

Has anyone used the Chicco Activ3? We saw it at BRU and really liked it. I can't find the black color online anywhere, only a green. They have the black at BRU. I'm tempted to ask my Gma to get that one since she offered to get a large item for us. It's about $300, but I might still be able to get it on sale at BRU. (at that point there's only a $60 difference between that and the BOB...)
  • Options
    I have an uppababy vista and we LOVE it. I bought the adapters for the second seat and use it when I take care of my friend’s little boy. It handles well even with two kids. I’m looking at getting the piggy back attachment for DD to stand on. 
  • Options
    So I have to say - I wouldn't even get an infant seat adapter for my stroller (unless it was a double). We have the keyfit caddy for our chicco car seat and that thing is amazing! Usually you can get them used for cheap. They're super light, take up no space, have a huge basket, it really makes you spoiled! And I used it with my second a ton too! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @sammierose464 I had a bob and it was great until DS got older. Then his head hit the canopy b/c you can not adjust it and he wasn't able to sit upright and kept pulling himself up on the snack tray to sit more up and get snacks. I love the way it handled but ended up selling it. We got a baby trend which was like $100 and it's been great. I only use it every once in a while when I have to drag the kid on a run but have had no issues. 

So far I have had the Britax B-agile, Uppababy Cruz, Joovy groove ultralight, BOB revolution SE, Baby trend Expedition and the GB Pockit. Right now I only have the jogger and pockit b/c he is 4. I am looking at the Cybex Mios for this one. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sammierose464 We don’t have the Chicco Active, but a friend does.  He recommended that we check it out, but mentioned that they have to lock the front wheel because their 2 or 3 year old son (can’t remember how old he is) can kick it and if it’s not locked, it makes it really hard to push since he gets the front wheel going in different directions. Locking the front wheel makes it harder to steer, although from what I understand actually running with it is easier if it’s locked.  I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with my kid’s feet hanging by the wheel, especially if I was running, but if that doesn’t bother you he said they love it.
  • Options

So I have to say - I wouldn't even get an infant seat adapter for my stroller (unless it was a double). We have the keyfit caddy for our chicco car seat and that thing is amazing! Usually you can get them used for cheap. They're super light, take up no space, have a huge basket, it really makes you spoiled! And I used it with my second a ton too! 
    I second this. We had to have it because we wanted a side by side double and none of them had enough room for 2 infant seats next to each other.  The adapters can cost almost as much as the frame strollers too - the adapter for city mini strollers and Chicco Keyfit seats is $60, the baby trend frame stroller was $62 at Target the other day.  I feel like the frame strollers will also be easier to resell, especially if you get a universal version that will accept any infant seat.
  • Options
    @hellopartyof5 @purplegoldfish2 I’m the opposite of you guys, we got the infant car seat adapter for our BOB, and I’m so glad we did. We got the BOB specifically for how easy it was to handle and go anywhere, so I wanted to benefit from that even when DS was an infant and couldn’t sit in it himself. We loved going on walks with him in the BOB via the infant adapter, and it made us get more money out of the stroller we picked. I know we could have gotten one of the frame strollers that the car seat is made to click into, but to me, that wouldn’t have been as nice to use as the BOB in terms of steering and going on different surfaces.  
  • Options
    Stepping back a bit - I’m not entirely convinced on getting a stroller the first six months or so.   I was really just planning to baby wear since we likely won’t be spending a huge amount of time outside until spring.  

Have any of you considered (or tried) skipping the infant options and going straight to strollers appropriate for when they start to sit up?
  • Options
    I'm not planning on buying a double stroller. DD is 15 months and the only time we ever use it stroller is when we go for family walks. Any time we are out in public we just carry her or let her walk along side us.
    When this new baby comes I'm planning on mostly just wearing him/her. The only time I may have issues is going out with both kids by myself. 
    But if I were a FTM I could see skipping getting a stroller for now and waiting to see if you really needed one. Babywearing is so easy. The only downside would be waking baby up to transfer from a car seat to a carrier. Especially if you are out running multiple errands.
  • Options
    @knottieamusements I can see wanting to forego the stroller during the infant stage, but I appreciated having it because it made getting in and out of the car a lot easier, especially like @SawyerRichardson said, if you’re doing multiple errands, because you can leave them in the car seat instead of having to transfer multiple times to the carrier and then back.

Also, when DS was little, he fell asleep almost every time we were in the car, so having the ability to click the car seat into the stroller when we got to the store rather than having to wake him to put him in the carrier was definitely a plus. That being said, if he wasn’t asleep, I did always prefer to pop him in the boba and babywear in the stores, since it made it easier for things like pushing a cart around for groceries, etc. 
  • Options
    I was going to go with the Graco Ready2Grow because I could use my existing car seat, but i went to play with it at Target and it is way bigger than I want. However, while I was at Target I saw I saw a lady with a Graco RoomFor2 which is the simpler one. I will
    probably go with that one.
  • Options
    I picked up the Bravo/Keyfit combo for $250 at Babies r Us this weekend. We knew that was the carseat we wanted and I tried the other Chicco strollers and the Bravo was my favorite mainly because I'm 5 feet tall and it was super easy for me to close and carry with one hand. The others were too tall. I also really liked to smooth it rolled and that it wasn't too big and bulky. 
  • Options
    I could not possibly say enough how much I LOVE my Phil&Teds Navigator.  It's a single jogger than can convert to a double.  It is light and folds so so flat (big deal to me).  Easy to push, comfy for baby.  Car seat can attach to front or back seat if a double.  

FWIW I am a stroller hoarder.  I legit have 7 strollers...it's a problem.  And if I had to get rid of all but one right now I wouldn't even hesitate.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A family I know has Babytrend car seat/carriers and the matching side-by-side double stroller for their infant twins. The carriers were supposed to click in to the stroller (like on top of the snack tray, I think), but they were always able to get one to click, but not the other. they said they worked well for them as car seats, but the stroller didn't work well, and they didn't recommend it. 
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member

Just giving a recommendation for the City Mini GT - it works great for us.

image        image

• Options
    alexa_94alexa_94 member
    edited May 2018
    For budget friendly I went with the Graco FastAction Fold Sport Click Connect travel system. It is still on sale at Target and if you use SpringBaby20 with a 20% off coupon for car seat trade it brings it down to ~$126.
    I really wanted the Chicco Bravo system but it came with a pretty penny.. Plus I was too impatient to wait for Amazon Prime Day, should be coming up in July.
  • Options
    @knottieamusements I am considering it. We used our frame stroller for 10 months last time - until we switched to convertible car seats.  I just saw on Baby Jogger’s website that you can use the City Mini before 6 months as long as the seat is fully reclined and you have some kind of head support (that you’d have to buy separately- baby Jogger doesn’t sell any).  My big hesitation was that we have a conference when baby will be 3 months and will need a stroller for that, but since seeing that we’d be able to use the City Mini that early, there’s a good chance we’ll skip the frame stroller or adapters (unless, of course, we end up with the Chicco and then it won’t matter because the car seat already attaches to that one).
  • Options
    I think I’ve mentioned this before, but with DS we got the Graco Fastaction Fold Sport travel system. It was under $200 and has met all our needs. Easy to fold (though doesn’t fold super small), large basket, all the trays that are extra on more expensive models. I’m glad we didn’t spend a ton of money we didn’t need to. 
  • Options
    chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited May 2018
    Moving to freebies/deals
  • Options
    @tinattt23 This is good to hear sine this is the one I just purchased :)
  • Options
    We officially decided on this stroller today: Graco Trailrider. Of course it's discontinued. I can only find it on Buy Buy Baby and Graco's site directly. Thankfully my grandma is getting it for us. 

• Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @sammierose464 32lbs is heavy! looks good though

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It is heavy, but I want a nice jogging stroller. We camp a lot so I want something that can handle that. We are also going to get a basic umbrella stroller.
  • Options
    I saw that! @Laumb11. I might have to send it to my aunt to let her know.
  • Options
    Stepping back a bit - I’m not entirely convinced on getting a stroller the first six months or so.   I was really just planning to baby wear since we likely won’t be spending a huge amount of time outside until spring.  

Have any of you considered (or tried) skipping the infant options and going straight to strollers appropriate for when they start to sit up?
    If you live in a colder state and won't be out, I personally don't think you really need one. We used our stroller a lot (still do) but we travel often and live in a very warm place. And by the time your LO is 6 months you won't need an expensive stroller...you could probably get away with an umbrella. 
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Also just to piggy back on the other City Mini lovers, we originally had an infant seat/stroller combo and it was heavy and bulky. When DD was 6 months we bought the city mini and never looked back. I love that thing, it's been everywhere with us (and we went cheap, it isn't a GT). I'm trying to convince DH to get the double but he doesn't like the idea of side by sides, so we're going to BBB this weekend to test drive some strollers with DD
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker