Infertility
Options

May 2018 IUI

Hello. I'm doing my 4th IUI this month. I just had 225iu x 2 HMG shots (cd 11 and 14). My follies this month are growing pretty slowly, only 10mm ones on both ovaries and a couple more around 8mm. Dr told today that I might ovulate around 5-7 days later. Since the holidays are up (Golden Week -Japan), DH would have to give me my shots. We'll go back to the clinic tomorrow and they'll teach him how to administer the shots. I'm nervous!!!!

I hope and pray that this month, we'll see our miracles happen <3<3<3

Re: May 2018 IUI

• Options
    dragonette505dragonette505 member
    edited May 2018
    @tinjp78 good luck this cycle!!! I'll be stalking you :)
  • Options
    prudence9-2prudence9-2 member
    edited May 2018
    I’ll be stalking you too @tinjp78 ;)

good luck!
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    4th IUI here too @tinjp78
    I feel a little frustrated because I've had good response to the letrozole, we have timed the trigger shot and IUI well, DH's numbers have been good or fine, and still no baby.  The CP on the first IUI is supposedly a good sign that I can get pg, but that falls a little flat after 2 failed IUIs.  
    I'm starting to wonder how many IUIs we will do... because of the CP, I was leaning toward doing 6.  However, because of how low the odds are of IUI and how frustrated I'm getting, I'm wondering if 4 is more realistic.  I hate that I'm already assuming failure - but I'm always like this during AF, totally pessimistic.  Baseline u/s tomorrow for me. 
    TTC History in Spoiler
    Me: 29  DH:34
    TTC 21 cycles
    All TI cycles BFN (with letrozole, ovidrel, prometrium)
    Hysteroscopy + Polypectomy + D&C on 1/3
    IUI #1 February 6, BFP 2/21, CP 2/26
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    July 2018 IVF, developed lead follicle, converted to TI, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    Thank you my dear stalkers @dragonette505 and @prudence9-2 Your presence on this thread is entirely welcome. I was supposed to be going back to IVF this time after my 3 failed IUIs but my dr must have forgotten >.< 
  • Options
    @tinjp78 well, hopefully this will work out and you will not need another IVF! FX!!!
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• Options
    tinjp78  I agree with @prudence9-2 with hoping 4th times a charm (for @wishing-and-hoping too!)... but if not, don't let them forget again! lol
  • Options
    @tinjp78 I totally understand the frustration that comes with slow to grow follicles. Both this cycle as well as my last I dealt with the same issue and both times my Dr has changed my medications. I'm hoping this time you get your BFP

@wishing-and-hoping It is so hard to stay positive and try to drown out the feelings of pessimism during these cycles. My Dr only recommended 3 cycles then moving on to the next option.

AFM, I explained on last months IUI page, but I'll just add it here too. These past two cycles my body wasn't reacting to the medication correctly and my follicles were not maturing enough to ovulate and my medication had to be changed from letrozole to clomid last month. This month I went in yesterday for my ultrasound and saw no progress in my follicle growth. After this my Dr suggested we try clomid and no progesterone and I have another ultrasound scheduled on Tuesday to see if there is any growth. If this doesn't work he suggested we talk about other options such as IVF or injectables. I don't know what the right path will be if my body continues to be unresponsive to the medicines.
  • Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    Phew! We're still here in the clinic. DH did well in the shots training and my butt survived his first injection, ha!

• Options
    @tinjp78 Love your gif ans I'm glad the shot training went well. I know that, that would definitely make me nervous!
  • Options
    @tinjp78 @wishing-and-hoping Stopping by to say hi and check on you ladies. I really, really hope the 4th IUI is THE one for you!!! :) XOXO
  • Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    @ginny_203 it is so sweet of you to be always checking up on us. Thank you and I hope and pray for a happy and healthy pregnancy for you <3
  • Options
    thanks @ginny_203 i hope so too!  especially bc my RE suggested letting this be the last IUI that we do.  Based on an old study that showed 98% of pregnancies that were going to happen happened in the first 4 months of treatment with clomid (TI or IUI).... and I have gone way beyond that (cycle 7 with this RE, I think 4 before that with a different RE).  Anyway, I am feeling the pressure.   :/ 

Kind of odd - I had a follicle @ 13 at my day 4 scan.  He said that happens sometimes, just an early grower.  Seems totally weird.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    @wishing-and-hoping I'm so sorry you are feeling some pressure over this cycle but I hope that it'll go away. Oh I really pray that this last IUI of ours would be the very last and we'd get a beautiful positive result this month. Btw what cd are you now and when is your sched for IUI? Sorry if you've mentioned already.

Afm, I registered a positive on my OPK this morning but my bbt didn't confirm it, anyway we BD tonight. 
  • Options
    Anyone on their TWW yet? I had my 3rd IUI the end of April (had two in the same month... tons of fun!). I get to test on May 11th and am hoping for a BFP. Not sure how many more times I want to go through IUI. If it’s successful I’ll have to be on daily injectable blood thinners. 

Trigger Warning

My first IUI was successful but I lost that baby at 7 weeks. Second IUI failed. Maybe the third time’s the charm? 
  • Options
    thanks @tinjp78 - I am CD6.  will have mid-cycle scan wednesday 5/9 (CD11) and IUI sometime in the following days, depending what they see. 

ahh @smittyswifey, wish I was already in the TWW!  Hoping for a BFP for you.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    Checking in on everyone and lurking to see how it's going. Hoping May might be the month for you all!
  • Options
    Hi everyone!  I havent been on the boards in a while but we had our first iui on Wednesday...i am not getting my hopes up because i know the chances are slim.  Curious, how old are ya’ll?  Im 36.  
  • Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    @eabrahamson thanks for checking in on us. I hope I could do the same for you. Are you in the PAIF boards? I'll check that out one of these days. :wink:

@smittyswifey  I'm sorry for your loss, and congrats on your 3rd IUI. Fx that this would be the month for you and for all of us here.

@wishing-and-hoping GL on the next scan and on the possible IUI.

@fertilizemeplease Yeah, haven't seen you around in a while. It's good to see your update again. Congrats on the IUI last Wed, I'm hoping that though the chances are slim, this would be your only IUI and you'd get your miracle this month :wink:

afm, I'm at the clinic now with DH. If dr sees that I haven't O'd yet and my follies are in good size, we might have my 4th IUI but it's a bit doubtful because my OPK showed a lighter line this morning and I'm also on CD25 already. But we BD'd during the days my OPK's showed dark lines. We'll see what happens in a while.
  • Options
    Greetings! I’m new here, but I’ve been checking boards since beginning treatment. This is our 5th assisted cycle and 2nd IUI; the first 3 were TI with Letrozole and trigger. While the IUIs involved Letrozole and Menopur. I’m 32, and DH is 33. I have PCOS. Our latest IUI was on April 27th, so I am in the TWW now and thought the May board would be appropriate. I had two follicles at 21 and DH had a good count of 40 mil, so we are hoping this time works. Thanks for sharing your stories and providing a sense of community during an experience that is typically isolating.
  • Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    @sinclairatkins Welcome and Sorry for the reason you're here. But I also truly hope that your stay would be as short as possible and that you'd have your rainbow baby this month. GL with the TWW! 
  • Options
    @fertilizemeplease I am 29.  Know the odds are slim but hope that this one works for you.

@sinclairatkins good luck!  wow 40 mil, that's incredible.

@tinjp78 how did it end up going on Sunday?
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    @smittyswifey Hey there, I am currently in the 2WW as of today!

@sinclairatkins Welcome and I hope your stay here is short.

@fertilizemeplease I am 29, but turning 30 at the end of this month. Good luck to your on your IUI and hopefully the 2WW will fly by!

AFM I went in this morning and I had two big follicles, which I was happy to hear. It has been so frustrating going in and getting scanned only to find that my body was not reacting to the medication. I received my trigger shot and now we just go into the 2WW. We have a busy couple of weeks coming up so hopefully that will help the time pass. I'm also wondering if you guys work out during the few days after your trigger. I am trying to keep my energy up and I know exercise helps. I dunno i just want to workout because it makes me feel good and clears my mind, which is great especially during these times.
  • Options
    @wine_mama16 I've decided to just back off on cardio during TWW (which I don't do a ton of anyway) - I just stick to yoga/walking/barre and nothing too strenuous.  My one BFP was from the month I was sick and barely moved off the couch during my TWW so in my VERY limited experience, taking it easy pays off (well, kinda, since it was a CP :/ ).

TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    @sinclairatkins I had my IUI on the 27th also. I get to test on Friday and I’m so nervous! This is my third IUI, so fingers crossed this is the one! I’ll be thinking about you!
  • Options
    @wishing-and-hoping thanks, I don't want to stop working out because it helps me get through this 2WW, but I'll definitely take your recommendation and stick to a less strenuous workout routine.
  • Options
    @smittyswifey fx for you that 3rd time's a charm

AFM had a big ole follicle (27...maybe too big, though my lining was 11+ so maybe an ok combination) today so RE recommended triggering tonight for IUI Friday morning, here we go again!  My hopes are low, but would love to be surprised.  
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    @smittyswife
    Best wishes for you! I pray you get a positive result on Friday. I usually wait until 14 dpo to test w hpt, but this time, I started testing with Wondfos at 7 dpo...my intention was to test the trigger out, but by 7 dpo, it was negative, so I know that a second line now would be the real thing. I’m at 12 dpiui now and had a negative Wondfo test this morning. I’m on estrogen and progesterone, so any “symptoms” I have can be attributed to the meds. 
  • Options
    @sinclairatkins I’m on progesterone too, so I’m trying not to get my hopes up because I know the progesterone can cause symptoms. I refuse to buy the Wondfo strips because it would make it so much more convenient for me to obsess and test every day. When I know that each test I use is around $8 a pop, I help keep myself “in check”. Buuut I know I’m going to test tomorrow instead of Friday, just because the wait is killing me!

@wishing-and-hoping fx for you! I had a big follicle too this cycle. They actually gave me the trigger shot in the office immediately after the ultrasound and I went in the following day for IUI. 
  • Options
    @smittyswifey
    This is my first cycle testing with Wondfo...I would agonize and wait until 14-15 dpo every time and my hand wouldn’t literally be shaking while I took the test....negative every time....so this time I decided I would just test away when I felt like it. I think that seeing the test each day is helping me (personally) keep realistic expectations though I’m eternally optimistic. It is so hard not to be obsessed! Again, I hope you get positive results. 

@wishing-and-hoping
    In regards to working out, my RE told me to avoid exercise that gave me then “runner’s high” because that high level of endorphins released in the brain over and over can affect the reproductive system (of course some women are able keep right on).I stopped jumping rope and going on long runs. I’m wishing the best for you!!
  • Options
    Hi!  I'm new...I had my first IUIs on the 2nd and 3rd.  I was not ovulating (probably due to my weight) and also have a low AMH from going through chemo five years ago for breast cancer and I'm also 35 now.  This was my first round of treatment and I did letrozole with a injection of menopur with a trigger and got two good follicles.  I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up. If it doesn't work, I'm debating whether to keep doing IUIs or just TI to save some money.  The work up and this cycle have added up quickly!  But I'm relieved that I've responded to the meds at least. 
  • Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    @gatorlauren10 I'm so sorry to hear about the struggles that you have been through. I hope that this first IUI would work and that you wouldn't need to more. GL on the TWW.

@sinclairatkins  It is interesting to hear the reason why your RE adviced you to avoid exercise. My dr never tells me anything regarding it. There was a poster at the clinic though, saying do some light stretching and walking.  I'm crossing everything for you for a darker second line on your next tests. 

@smittyswifey I've got lots of those Internet hpt's but what prevents me from testing often is my DH who strictly orders me not to, also my experience during my last *tw* BFN on my first IVF/ICSI/FET last year. I checked early and just felt very awful seeing the stark whites. Fx on your test tomorrow! 

@wine_mama16 GL on your TWW. It's nice to know that you have some stuff to do, that would surely make time pass quickly.

Afm, Bw showed that I ovulated so we didn't have IUI but DH and I had some BD during and leading to my positive OPKs so I'm also on a TWW. But next week, wed, we'll have a scheduled IVF consult with a counselor at our clinic and If AF comes, we'd have to go see our dr and probably start my stims for IVF #2. 

Honestly, I'm hoping that I'd be KU this month and not go through IVF which I'm not so thrilled about. 
  • Options
    @tinjp78 sorry that the timing didn't work out for you to have the IUI.  It's nice that they monitor you closely though - my clinic never checks on day of IUI to see if ovulation has occurred.  If our insurance didn't cover almost all of it, I'd definitely be pushing harder for more monitoring, but I guess it can't hurt, even if I've already ovulated, but wouldn't be worth it if I were paying for it.  I'm also with you - truly hoping to be KU this month and avoid the stress/meds/$$$/time/everything that comes along with IVF.  I feel like the stress of staring down that barrel is messing with me.

AFM had the IUI today, DH had 24 mil total motile post wash so I am thrilled with that.  Now onto the dreaded TWW.  I am also starting a 6wk infertility group therapy program on Tuesday and I am so excited about it.  Long overdue.  So far I am the only person signed up so it might be an individual therapy situation but that would be cool too.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    Hi all, I’m back for now. I accidentally got myself locked out of this site and was too busy to figure out how to get my password back. And then I have a tendency to avoid thinking about all things infertility related to avoid getting depressed. I find that I am either depressed or an avoider.

I unfortunately received more bad news. I went in for a day 4 scan and they told me it was too late to start Clomid because I already had a big follicle. If there is a risk of that, why do doctors tell you to come for the scan day 2-5? I guess I am upset because it was avoidable but the doctor didn’t advise well. It is even more frustrating because my previous six cycles were also cancelled. Has this happened to anyone before? 

The other setback is that my husband has to travel to Brazil for work next month. Given Zika risk, we will need to avoid natural conception for six months. We talked to our doctor about freezing sperm and continuing, but apparently the chances of success go down by 50%. Anyone have much experience with frozen swimmers? 

I also got pretty down this month because half of the people in my department announced they are pregnant. As the only female left in the department, that meant I had to throw the office baby shower. That was really hard. 

Anyways, I will try to get caught up on everyone’s posts! 
  • Options
    hey @scully127 I'm so sorry for your cycle getting canceled.  How big was the follicle?  I had a 13 at my day 4 scan this time (first time I've had that happen) and we still proceeded, though I am on letrozole so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.  You are so much better of a human than I am - I avoid baby showers like the plague.  The Brazil thing - what a pain!  I don't have experience with using frozen sperm but I'm sure someone on here does.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    @wishing-and-hoping thanks! I am still doing Clomid this month but the doctor said it will likely have no benefit (but also no harm either). If my body reacts in strange ways, might as well roll the dice (especially in light of the whole Zika thing and much diminished chances the next six months). Doctor didn’t tell me how big the follicle was. Hope your IUI went well this month and you can finally take a break from all of this infertility madness.
  • Options
    @tinjp78 - Thanks! Yes, I have joined the PAIF board. :)  I am finding it helpful because the anxiety is totally real. I am so sorry you didn't get to have your IUI- fx for next month!

@wishing-and-hoping - wishing you best of luck with this recent IUI

@smittyswifey - I had a big obsession with the wondfos- had to have my husband hide them after awhile. 

@scully127- I hope the Clomid works for you <3

• Options
    tinjp78tinjp78 member
    edited May 2018
    Hello all. @scully127 Ugh, these delays and setbacks are terrible. I'd have to exert so much effort just to psych myself that these also have their purposes and that they will all work out for the best, someday. But, I'm sure the struggle of facing them is so real. 

I had one cycle cancelled bec I had big follies already at CD4 also last Mar. So, you'd be continuing Clomid, when would you have IUI? 

Boo to the Zika issue. As for frozen sperms, I think it was @ginny_203 who has experience with it? I'm not so sure, correct me if I'm wrong.

My dr discussed last time that if AF starts I could start my IVF cycle with a Letrozole or a Clomid plus HCG combo. The first one is less aggressive than the second as she mentioned. DH and I are thinking the second one would be ok for us. Still not so certain.
  • Options
    Anyone heard from @rmartin_ttc ?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    jules3978jules3978 member
    edited May 2018
    So we are going to try to do IUI again this month.  Last month, the timing didn't work out due to me ovulating on a weekend and my doctor's office not being open on the weekend when my follicles were big enough.  :( So this month, we are working with a new RE who is open on the weekends so we won't have this problem again.  I have taken 150 mg Clomid x5 days and just did an injection last night of Gonal-F.  Will be doing an ultrasound on Thursday unless i get a positive OPK before then.  I'm really hoping it will work this time - even to be able to do the IUI.  Best of luck to everyone out there!  :)

Me: 40, AMH 0.4  DH: 32
    Married: 7/30/17
    TTC since: 4/2017
    IUI #1: planned for 4/2018 - cancelled due to insufficient follicle size/growth.  :(
    IUI #2: 5/22/18 - BFN
    IUI #3: 6/22/18
    BFP: 7/4/18
  • Options
    @tinjp78
    hopefully this cycle will work out for you and you won't have to think about IVF.  But the clomid/letrozole situation that you described - that's a "mini IVF" right?  I plan to ask my RE about that as well since I have always responded well to letrozole and also, my DH is against the idea freezing embryos (I have told him there might not be an option if I were to develop OHSS, etc) but anyway we'd want to only fertilize a few, in the hopes of ending up with 1 or 2 to implant.  Feels like a weird place to be since most people want maximum # of eggs, and this path may end up being very costly, but maybe if the mini IVF is an option, at least we'd save $ on the drugs.

@jules3978
    so glad you were able to switch REs quickly enough not to miss a cycle.  the weekend hours are clutch.  my clinic is only open Saturdays but it has ended up being ok. GL with your u/s thursday.

@suzycupcake
    I have not.  I looked back and remembered they were taking April off, but not sure what May has held for them.  Paging @rmartin_ttc we are thinking of you!
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD