December 2018 Moms

First appointment later than I thought...

So I found out I’m knocked up over the weekend.  I’m super excited and based on my last period, I’m 4 weeks and 3 days.  

I talked to my OB’s nurse today and she said that she wouldn’t see me for my first appointment until I’m 9 weeks and that my OB typically doesn’t see new moms until 12 weeks.  She scheduled an ultrasound during my 8th week.  But that’s it.  

I’m a little disappointed that I have to wait so long.  I’m only 4 weeks, and although I’m starting to have some symptoms (fatigue, increased urination) I just don’t “feel” like it’s really real yet.  I’m just anxious and impatient to get started.

Anyone else dealing with or dealt with this kind of frustration before?

Re: First appointment later than I thought...

• With both of my former pregnancies they didn't want to see me until between 8 and 12 weeks. They recently went through some changes in their office so when I called this last time they said I needed to be at least 6 weeks which seemed weird to me. However, all they did was a urine culture and paperwork. Really there won't be much to see or do before the 8w mark which is why I think so many offices have you wait. It's definitely frustrating but they'd rather you wait than go in so early and not detect a heartbeat yet or not be able to see it well and have expectant moms freak out for another 4 weeks. That's what they told me anyways.
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • sheshaesheshae member
    edited April 2018
    Very common. My DR won’t see anyone until they’re 8/9 weeks. They’ll do the ultrasound and blood work then. Then you usually go monthly after that until you reach a certain point. 

We have a planned parenthood type non profit agency that does ultrasounds if you schedule them and another company that does ultrasounds for a cost that some people choose to do. 

Editted for spelling 

Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• This is my 5th pregnancy. All medical offices have their own time frame for everything. But for my doctor's office it has always worked like this in the beginning - 1st appointment which includes ultrasound is at 8-9 weeks pregnant. Then a 12 week appointment with ultrasound. At 14 weeks I pay around $100 to find out the sex of the baby from an ultrasound place that is not related to my doctor's office. 16 week appointment sometimes with ultrasound. 20 week appointment and anatomy scan (where they count all fingers and toes etc. and you can find out sex).
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Kristah2,

I apologize in advance for how I’m about to respond to you.  I’m not normally the type of person who would even say anything back, but I took your reply personally and you came off as rude and condescending.  Maybe you don’t realize that’s how you came off.  Maybe it wasn’t your intention.  But regardless, I posted looking for insight from people in a similar situation, not judgement from a complete stranger.

I DO trust that my OB knows what he’s doing.  I have just read others posts about seeing their OB sooner than what I was told.  At least for blood work, or to confirm the pregnancy.  

And I AM counting my blessings, 1. Because I was able to get pregnant at all, 2. Because I am relatively healthy overall and am hoping for a healthy pregnancy as well.  Please don’t tell me to “count my blessings” because you don’t know me and you have no idea what my conception journey has been. 

And I DID post in the introduction thread...yesterday.  I’m sorry you missed it.  Maybe then you wouldn’t feel the need to post a passive aggressive response to a person you don’t even know.  I didn’t realize I needed to follow a certain set of rules before posting a question.  Good thing you’re around to set people straight and tell them what to do.

• Thank you everyone else for you helpful replies.  I will try not to stress too much until my first appointment.  I’m just excited and 4 weeks is a long time to wait!  
  • @maureenmce

Thank you for your response.  I didn’t realize there were so many rules for the message boards.  I am new to all of this and just found out on Saturday that I am pregnant.  I have never been pregnant before and a friend told me to use this app because I’d find support and help with any worries and questions.  I will re-read the intro thread and try to only post where appropriate from now on.

I realize my response to @kristah2 could have come off hurtful, but I was pissed off and annoyed by her less than helpful response to my post.  I truly don’t ever even respond to people like that, but she genuinely rubbed me the wrong way and I felt I should say something.

I consider myself a very positive and upbeat person and I felt like she was trying to “put me in my place” rather than try to be genuinely helpful.  

Thank you again for  your input. 
  • @littlewhitecottage

Thanks for the welcome!  I don’t know that I will stick around honestly, because I haven’t felt welcomed.  If I do keep this app, will probably lurk more and post less.

Thanks again for the kind words.  I hope your pregnancy is going well, too.
  • @maureenmce I think one question thread a week is plenty. I'd rather answer the same question multiple times within that thread than have to keep up with another new thread.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @hazeldagarr

it certainly appears that way to me as well.
  • The rules make sense. I just don’t like change
  • @littlewhitecottage

Thanks for the welcome!  I don’t know that I will stick around honestly, because I haven’t felt welcomed.  If I do keep this app, will probably lurk more and post less.

Thanks again for the kind words.  I hope your pregnancy is going well, too.
    I wouldn’t blame you for just lurking. These boards are so uptight now it is kind of off-putting. Also I guess I’m old school and don’t mind one off questions (so long as people search their question first in the group) because I don’t want to read 637 questions in one thread.
    I’ve been a member of TB for 10+ years and have never had a board with restrictions like this. Although, I know a few years ago there was a big overhaul. I do miss the random posts and not having to scroll threw 8 pages on the same post.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker

• Not to keep this going too long...but...I think the whole idea of these boards is to help build community, not just a place to drive by with your questions to a group of strangers. So keeping up with 637 questions in one thread is kind of the point. You don’t just use the community; you contribute, too. It’s give and take. If any of that makes sense? Again, not trying to build drama here. Just throwing in my two cents. ;) 
    There’s been literal years of single posts like this with amazing community...

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PensiveCrayon please god yes. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @runrinserepeat Does...does this mean I'm now allowed to begin using snark on these boards?

(But seriously. I 100% agree with you, @littlewhitecottage.)
    For the love of Michael, yes.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ebk20ebk20 member
    Agreed. I was on here 3 years ago for my son and loved the bump community. I looked at my birth month board religiously for my whole pregnancy and a year after. These rules seem too uptight and confusing.  I don't live my life on these boards but I like to pop in when I have a few minutes to spare to connect with other mommas.
  • I mean. I guess we could go back to the way things used to be and let people post where ever and when ever they want and all of us the enjoy spending time on here actually talking about pregnancy stuff can spend our time reanswering the same question eleventy billion times. Sounds like a blast.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @PensiveCrayon I lol’d
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • This isn’t directed at any one person, but I guess I don’t get what’s so bad about things being organized. I think it’s way easier to just follow one thread of questions than to scroll through pages and pages of individuals asking/complaining/starting topics about the same stuff over and over again. I think it’s essier to carry a conversation with multiple people this way. I also think it’s nice to have the more individualistic threads like pgal to connect with moms who are going through the same thing as you and check in on those people weekly, daily, whatever.
    OK so for me, it's kind of the equivalent to being at a party. And someone in the living room starts talking about politics, when the host rushes over and says, "Oh, NO! We don't talk about politics in the LIVING ROOM! That's a KITCHEN conversation. Please make your way to the kitchen"

Generally, conversations are more organic than structured the way the forums try to make them these days. And I'll admit I have been having a hard time keeping the Randoms, Questions, and Symptoms threads all straight. But.... it's also really not that difficult to adjust, because typing up discussions and responses IS more structured than just blurting out whatever is on your mind. I guess I never had a problem with the way it was before, but if someone decided to make a change, they must have had their reasons. And it seemed worthwhile to me to give it a shot instead of dismissing the board as uptight and rigid out of hand. 

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Organization and snark are not mutually exclusive, imho.
  • @rosebud332 I agree. I was on March 16 and we had organized threads. It's so much easier than multiple threads with questions or random stuff! I don't feel like organization is synonymous with strict. 

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed the lack of snark!! 

DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @runrinserepeat I definitely get where you’re coming from. On the flip side of that, I guess the way I see it is you walk into the middle of a party and just start yelling “I hate Donald Trump!” And someone walks over to you and says, “Hey, we’re already over here having a conversation about how much he sucks, you should join us.” I just see it as a way of funneling like conversations towards each other. Anyway, you know what I mean. And I’m glad you’re sticking around despite it not being your favorite way of doing things. :)
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @runrinserepeat I definitely get where you’re coming from. On the flip side of that, I guess the way I see it is you walk into the middle of a party and just start yelling “I hate Donald Trump!” And someone walks over to you and says, “Hey, we’re already over here having a conversation about how much he sucks, you should join us.” I just see it as a way of funneling like conversations towards each other. Anyway, you know what I mean. And I’m glad you’re sticking around despite it not being your favorite way of doing things. :)
    I think this is a great point. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga