September 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 4/16: Breast Pumps + Accessories

Re: Product Spotlight 4/16: Breast Pumps + Accessories

• Options
    @spottedginger I had an oversupply issue (until I got pregnant!), complete with lots of plugged ducts (but never mastitis, thankfully!). I froze a lot before I caught my high lipase issue and ended up donating most of my stash to moms with younger babies who wouldn’t mind the taste. I’m hoping this time to have a little more calmer supply but also have a nice stash. Sending you all the lactation vibes!

I would like an upright freezer but can’t justify the cost when all we need is a small place to stack milk and freezer meals. My current freezer is a side-by-side and the storage capacity is pathetic. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used a Symphony hospital grade for the first two months where I was stuck pumping for every feed. Then I moved on to the PISA. It was much louder and I missed the let down button/settings. But really, once I fixed my oversupply and got down to only pumping when I was away from baby (and I worked very very part time only!), I used my manual more than anything.

I forgot how asked about the Freemie, but I loved their cups. I'm afraid of their pump, for no good reason, but I don't know of anyone who used it exclusively. I used their manual a ton- and it's a double manual, so I've pumped both sides in 10 minutes in view of everyone. I needed 10 seconds of privacy (usually ducked behind a wall, or under a coat) to get cups in and out of bra, but it was otherwise perfect. 

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone with supply problems, because you can't massage the last bits out when using them. But, you can get the manual pump with cups for only $10 more than just getting the cups, and can still use them with your electric pumps-plus have the double manual for sports or going out. 

For anyone working part time/occasional or just looking for a pump back up and will stay at home-get their double manual pump. Quick, easy, and packs tiny, like into a Crown Royal bag.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mrsman2018mrsman2018 member
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    Also, don't buy too many nursing pads. I bought a lot and did not use any as I never leaked at all. 
  • Options
    @EErin86 I was really surprised at how easy it was to order one through insurance. I'll have a Spectra 2Plus shipped out on June 18. That was the earliest. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    samd6samd6 member
    Trying to get some things checked off my list and ordering the pump is one of them! It seems that most people suggest the PISA or the Spectra S1. I am in need of something portable as I will be returning to work in January and will have to travel from MN to NC late December/early January. My insurance will cover $300 worth of pump & "necessary" supplies (tubes, flanges, batteries, etc) they won't cover any hospital grade pumps. 

I want to maximize my spending but am feeling entirely overwhelmed, even after reading this whole thread.  Any feedback on the Madela Freestyle?
  • Options
    @samd6 No personal experience, but my friend had that one. She loved the portability, but it didn't pump out as much for her. The kid she used the freestyle with was the only one she had to supplement with. It just didn't seem as powerful. I know the Spectra and PISA both offer battery pack options.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    samd6samd6 member
    @pourmeamocktail thanks :) I'm like 90% sold on the PISA (mostly because of the ease of getting parts if I forget something when I am at work) but it's a big purchase and I don't want to be hasty!
  • Options
    @samd6 I used the battery pack and car lighter adapter with my PISA very successfully. I’ve heard the Freestyle isn’t as powerful for many ladies. It’s annoying to keep around a bunch of AA batteries, but it works. I’m not entirely sure how long the battery pack lasts as I didn’t use it frequently and still have the original batteries in there as I speak. 
  • Options
    @samd6 I used the battery pack and car lighter adapter with my PISA very successfully. I’ve heard the Freestyle isn’t as powerful for many ladies. It’s annoying to keep around a bunch of AA batteries, but it works. I’m not entirely sure how long the battery pack lasts as I didn’t use it frequently and still have the original batteries in there as I speak. 
    @samd6 - This^^

I also have used both the battery pack and car adapter with my PISA and saw no impact on my pumping output compared to using the pump plugged into a real power outlet. It does require 8 AA batteries (both sides of the batter pack open), but I used the same batteries for multiple pump sessions so it's not like it needs 8 new batteries each time at least.

I've never tried the Freestyle, but I've heard the same that output can be not as great for some moms.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    Also, I ALWAYS keep a full battery pack around in my pump bag. I once had to attend a training session for work in an old building where the only place to pump was an old bathroom with no power outlets. I was so glad I had the pack instead of having to manually pump, and I didn’t have to go in the car on a cold winter day and wait for the heat to warm up. 
  • Options
    I just got this handout at my appt today and found it helpful! Figured I’d pass it along, hopefully you can read it..

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Options
    Okay, so now I’ve re-read this thread and my handout and still can’t make up my mind... advice please! 

I’m a sahm, last time had plenty of supply and kept a moderate freezer stash for the occasional babysitter/dh nights, discomfort, etc. 
    I also had a medela double last time, and still have it. It worked fine, it wasn’t pretty, but it did the trick w no complaints. 

My current thinking: 
    Do I stick w medela so all the parts stay the same? My handout does not list medela as having “closed sustem to ensure hygiene” like most of the other options. 

I can also get the hospital grade spectra S2. 

Or the Ameda Purely Yours double which comes w internal battery, cute tote, insulated cooler and bottles...

I’m also torn because I really wanted to try the Kiinde system, just because I like the concept, but I have all dd’s bottle stuff and really, how much am I gonna use it w this being the last kiddo and I’ll prolly get to use a sitter even less frequently than I did dd... Almost all my registry goody bags have included the avent bottle which is what we primarily used w dd... it feels like a sign... 

what do you ladies think? Can someone just decide for me please?  :D

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Options
    jhjocelyn said:
    My current thinking: 
    Do I stick w medela so all the parts stay the same? My handout does not list medela as having “closed sustem to ensure hygiene” like most of the other options. 

I can also get the hospital grade spectra S2. 

Or the Ameda Purely Yours double which comes w internal battery, cute tote, insulated cooler and bottles...

All that means for the Medela pump is that techically there is nothing stopping milk from backing up into the machine base. But in order for this to actually happen milk would have to flow all the way back up through the tubes into the machine. Other pumps like the Specta, have some sort of backflow protector making this impossible, which on paper makes them more hygienic.

In your shoes, because you SAH and don't expect to have to pump THAT much, I would stick with the Medela to match all the spare pieces and bottles you already have. Currently I am leaning towards this same decision for the same reason. I have both a Medela and a Spectra and while I like the Spectra I didn't like it SO much more to ditch the Medela as my full-time pump considering most of my bottles and parts are for my Medela.

On the flip side, if you were to say you hated your Medela I would recommend going for the Spectra because if you don't pump that often are spare parts really that necessary.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    Agree with @DanyTargaryen on all points! I think the “hygienic closed system” is more of a marketing ploy than anything. Now, if you planned to share your pump with someone else, that may matter. Otherwise I wouldn’t sweat it. Even if I had other options I would stick with my Medela because I have all the parts and pieces and I’m tired of spending extra money!
  • Options
    jhjocelyn said:

My current thinking: 

I can also get the hospital grade spectra S2
    I love my Spectra S2. Not that it really matters if you’re just using it at home but it is so quite compared to the Medella. 
  • Options
    I was all set to order my Medela today (I used this pump with my two kids), but then I noticed the Freemie Mobile Electric Pump is an option via byram healthcare/UMR insurance. I know one of the moms already mentioned this, but there wasn't a ton of discussion.

Anyone else have the Freemie as an option? It's very similar to the Willow - hands free, discreet. Hands free and not tethered to a machine - that means I could get the kids breakfast or do the dishes while pumping, and it's supposedly super quiet, so I can be on conference calls at work. I don't know that the medela would offer the same. I am just worried about it  being so new - the mobile version came out this year. Anyone do more research on it? I know you can buy the same cups and use with the PISA, but not sure if it's still truly mobile. I'd imagine you are still plugged into a big machine and can't walk around. 
  • Options
    @sarah-ruby-21 The little I have heard about their pump hasn't been good. Their cups though that fit into your bra are great. They can be used with other pumps. I would recommend using insurance to get a better mainstream pump, but then you can buy just the cups yourself (or, add on $10 and get their cups with their manual pump that is one of the rare double manual pumps!) and connect them to your main pump. Just my 2 cents. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail Thanks for the info. I read you could do that and I definitely am considering that. The medela is definitely a solid pump. One big BUT ... the way the freemie mobile works, I think, is that you aren't tied to the machine that powers/controls the pumping. Instead, there is a little weightless device that clips to your pants belt. So by using the cups with the medela, I am thinking it defeats the true purpose of being able to walk around your house while pumping. 
  • Options
    @sarah-ruby-21 I have used the cups extensively and if I shift so much as Jean forward or back maybe 5 degrees from vertical, milk backs up in tubes. So even though I mostly used their manual pump due to my circumstances, I couldn't really walk around.Stand mostly still, yes, sit still yes, drive generally yes. With manual I could pause with the pump, walk to a different room and resume. But as far as getting stuff done-not so much. 

The cups also do prevent you from doing breast massage while pumping to help stimulate production or help emptying (which is very important for some people, and not at all important for others) but that paired with a less strong pump could be a recipe for pumping volume difficulties for some. Just something to keep in mind.

The medela freestyle offers the clip on battery powered pump option as well, but it's also known for being a lower power (production) pump. I would still think that the battery powered spectra in a bag (backpack, fanny pack, idk just ideas ????) might be a better solution. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail oh boy - milk spillage and milk in tubes don't sound too good. I never had to massage but maybe that's because the medela PISA is a powerful machine. Thank you again. Great points to consider. <3<3

• Options
    @pourmeamocktail oh boy - milk spillage and milk in tubes don't sound too good. I never had to massage but maybe that's because the medela PISA is a powerful machine. Thank you again. Great points to consider. <3<3

I never lost any milk out, but did have a clean the tubes a few times. I will say though-storing and typing was a totally easy thing. The discretion is awesome.I could work at a desk no problem, or stand still behind a bar (long story), or pump at a high school football game easily. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience with the Ameda Finesse double electric pump? That is the only electric one offered through my insurance. I read it is fairly new and supposed to mimic the hospital grade version. But, I don't know anyone who has personally tried it. I have a Medela PiSA that I used last time but I had a horrible time pumping and not sure if it was the medela or me (i had started with renting a hospital grade until i got that and everything was finr until I switched) annnnddd my Medela is 8 years old now but barely used.

I am definitely going to get the Finesse and try it....just want opinion/experiences.
  • Options
    ashh2018ashh2018 member
    edited June 2018
    Hi hi...so, per the email from insurance, I can get the Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump Starter Set - I'm so new to this, but looking at it online it is a double electric pump in a microfiber case, includes two bottles. I have the option to upgrade to 1) for $95, the same thing but with/in a tote or backpack or 2) for $195 Medela Freestyle Breastpump - sounds like this is the best for pumping multiple times a day? I can't deny that free is the best option for me but if it is worth it, I can upgrade. I did read through this thread but I'm so new to this whole thing that I'm totally stumped, it's the one thing I haven't really looked into yet. Thoughts? Thanks!

ETA slightly related, I'm freaking out a little bc I don't think there's anywhere at my office to pump other than the ladies room. Which explains why the woman who came back from maternity leave a few weeks ago is in there for 20 minutes a couple times a day, and I have to leave and go somewhere else bc there's only one bathroom on this floor. I don't know her well enough to chat with her but I'm going to be there in a couple months, I wonder if there's another option. All the offices have glass doors or walls, maybe they'll black out one of the windows and make us a room haha.
  • Options
    @ashh2018 I felt it was worth it to get the cordless upgrade, for sure.  There could be a conference room (that is generally more exposed) but the two smaller, more private rooms I'm thinking of for me, don't have outlets.  :#  maybe you can get creative, but I thought they legally had to give you a place other than a bathroom?

Incidentally, I even used flex funds to get my gorgeous pumping bag and matching pumparoo from the same supplier as sent me the pump. #noshameinmygame
  • Options
    @BusinessWife Which pumping bag did you get? I’m considering a splurge because my medela bag just doesn’t fit a lot of stuff and I would prefer to carry only one bag to work. 
  • Options
    @ashh2018 - I'm sure it works fine for some people, but I have heard of complaints that the Freestyle does not working as well as the PISA for a bunch of moms. The portability is nice, but since it's portable some moms find it to not be as strong and has less output with it than the PISA.

As for the PISA, I got the starter kit too. I did not think the bag upgrade was worth the extra. I bought a bottle cooler separately and have a tote from 31 bags that works great as a pumping bag. Yes I do have to take the pump out of the bag to use it, but for my set up at work that's not a problem. Other companies do sell nicer pump bags than what you would get upgrading the Medela so I personally don't find the PISA upgrade worth it. The starter kit plus a cooler and my own bag worked fine.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    Thanks @DanyTargaryen, and I’m going to check out the PISA. I think I may be wrong and my insurance may offer more options. 

@BusinessWife which is the cordless? Is that the freestyle? 

Our office doesn’t have any enclosed conference rooms, just glass front rooms. Tbh they couldn’t and I’m sure wouldn’t stop me if I was like, I’m gonna sit in this room with a cover on and pump, but I just don’t feel comfortable. My office is 6 minutes from home. I wonder if just going home is an option. I hate the idea of sitting in the bathroom and I know how annoying it is for other women in the office (I know, I can’t be mad bc it’s not her fault, but still). 
  • Options
    @southernlady07 I think that the company absolutely would, but the issue is that a space doesn’t exist. There are literally no offices or rooms with a solid door. 

@stothi so my team shares an office (glass door) but I’m generally the only one there since they’re agents and are on the go while I’m at the office all day. I could definitely look into a screen or even maybe put up a curtain of sorts on the door. I might feel weird but it’s an option haha
  • Options
    @ashh2018 I would definitely ask them to buy blinds or some other window covering (because then they would be meeting the *legal* requirement :) One of my friends had her employer put up a window covering on her glass door at work and it worked well for her. 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Options
    nackienackie member
    @ashh2018 like others said, legally they have to provide something other than a bathroom. I don’t think it would be out of line at all to ask for window coverings if that’s the best option.