September 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight 4/16: Breast Pumps + Accessories

Re: Product Spotlight 4/16: Breast Pumps + Accessories

• I've settled on the Medela Freestyle Double Electric - just waiting for it to go on sale.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are deciding between the Medela PISA and Freestyle, this article is pretty neat. She compares her output with the two machines and concludes that she did a little bit better with the Freestyle: https://exclusivepumping.com/pump-wars-medela-freestyle-vs-medela-pump-in-style/
  • @sarah-ruby-21 - That's really interesting. I've never heard of moms doing better with the Freestyle before!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • iba34iba34 member
    Regarding the legal obligations of employers for pumping space, I believe that they are exempt if they have under 50 employees. But under the Affordable Care Act, larger employers must provide a private, non-bathroom space to express breast milk, and give break time to do so as well.
  • @DanyTargaryen It's probably so far from scientific - I was thinking about all the things that could impact milk supply ...  But thought I'd share just cause it's one perspective.
  • Ugh. So annoyed.  Just got an email that the flex card declined some of my pumping supplies from Aeroflow.  (Pumparoo, disposible breast pads, lanolin cream, and those boobie-shaped gel pad things).

So we'll have to see what happens when I call the flex card ppl, and/or Aeroflow.  They seemed to think I could get <i>anything</i> from then on the flex card, (including my schmancey pumping bag), but they told me to let them know if i had any trouble.  Sigh...
  • @BusinessWife good luck with that! Aeroflow doesn't participate with my insurance so I'm trying to find one that will allow me to pay the upgrade fee to get the Spectra S1 instead of S2. Such a pain!
  • I just found out my health insurance doesn't cover a breast pump! Can I get by with a manual one? I'm self employed so I was planning on mostly breastfeeding anyways, but want my husband to be able to help with feedings so definitely wanted to pump as well. Really want him to be able to bond with our son by taking care of some of the feedings, especially in the middle of the night  :D
  • nackienackie member
    @lilidubs I thought they were required to cover them?  That sucks that they don’t. You could always see how it goes with the manual and decide if you need the electric one once baby comes. 
  • @lilidubs I believe most hospitals will rent out a hospital grade (closed system) pump to you, so if you don’t want to buy one up front you can go ahead and get the manual and then see about renting if needed until you decide if you need to buy your own. 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• I thought so too @nackie, maybe I'll call again and ask. Feel like dealing with health insurance is suck a pain and get different answers each time!

@southernlady07 oh that's great, renting sounds good to me anyways! I didn't necessarily want another thing to find storage for, we have a small enough place already that's stuffed to the gills!  :D
  • mauishaymauishay member
    edited July 2018
    @lilidubs check https://pumpingessentials.com/ you can enter your insurance and see what pumps are covered. My doctor said once we pick one from there that he just writes a prescription for it. 
  • @lilidubs - I also believe insurance is required to provide one now, however they are only required to provide at least a manual pump. I didn't want you to call expecting it to be an electric pump if it ends up they do provide one.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • @lilidubs They’re required to cover a pump (unless you're still on a non-ACA-compliant plan somehow?), but there’s no rule about what kind. Some companies only cover a manual pump.

FWIW I always got decent output with my manual, sometimes better than my electric. It’s just more work! And there's zero chance of multitasking, but I couldn't move far from my electric pump either, and to get decent letdown I had to just do something at least moderately relaxing/mellow anyways.

Also, keep in mind that if you want to keep your supply up, you typically need to pump anytime someone else feeds LO. So you may be awake MOTN to pump - which might be worth it to you, or you might be able to find another time to make up that session. Just something to consider!
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Thanks so much ladies for the insight! 
  • lilidubs said:
    Thanks so much ladies for the insight! 
    Also, Freemie makes a double manual pump, it's not quite hands free, but you can at least do both sides at once.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My insurance changed and now I’m not eligible for the same ones as before - after I had done tons of research and made up my mind (I was opting for Medela). Now my options are Ameda Finesse, Evenflo Advanced, or Lansinoh Signature Pro. When I google best pump for working moms, Ameda comes up on the list, but I had never heard of it. Any opinions between the three? When I get home from work I’ll do my research and make a list but wondering about personal experience. 
  • @Asunshinek just scrolled back through this thread and I see you asked about the Ameda Finesse - did you find any good feedback? Thoughts on it? TIA!
  • @ashh2018 I’m sorry insurance stuff changed on you. I don’t have much advice other than it sounds like they are sticking you with the “B squad” of pumps. Are you able to pay extra to get a Medela or Spectra? If not, the LC’s at my hospital said Ameda is a more solid choice but ultimately are fans of Medela. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida I did the thing through Target, but it occurs to me - maybe I’m eligible for more options and I’m just not looking in the right place? After my initial research I fell in love with the Medela, and now I see it everywhere. I was watching a video with a review of the top ten and when they got to “and coming in at #1, Medela” and I almost threw my phone lol. 
  • @ashh2018 I think there’s a place called Aeroflow (sp?) or you can call your insurance company directly. I would definitely check out all options and see about paying for an upgrade. My only option is Medela PISA and it worked great for me, and I have heard great things (mostly here) about the Spectras, so those would be my two solid recommendations. When I went to the BFing class at my hospital before I had DS they did plug the Ameda as being user friendly and easy to get parts for. I will say that’s the beauty of the PISA....parts are available all over, esp in Walmart/Target, which is hugely helpful now that BRU is closed. 
  • @ashh2018 my insurance didn't cover the pump I wanted last time, but I could use HSA dollars, it just wouldn't count towards our deductible. The PISA aren't too terribly expensive when on sale if you could go that route instead so you get the one you want. Pumping isn't exactly fun, so at least enjoying your equipment will help your mental state and maybe your supply.
  • @ashh2018 I have BCBS. If you look through your policy info online, under prenatal care it should tell you a website and phone number you can use to order a pump through. 
  • Thank you @SkilledSailor I will check that out!!
  • You can also enter your info at https://pumpingessentials.com/ to see what pumps you qualify for and order right there  
  • ashh2018ashh2018 member
    edited July 2018
    @mauishay checking that out right now, thanks!

ETA ok jk, apparently my insurance doesn’t come up in their drop down menu even though it says they take BCBS. They only list specifics (BCBS of Texas, BCBS of Michigan, etc) and mine is listed as OON
  • @DanyTargaryen I have a PISA and a Freestyle and I prefer the Freestyle!

I have had two babies and have changed insurances a few times, so i have had a bunch of pumps. My Medela Freestyle and my Spectra S1 are my favorites. The PISA is ok, and I did not like the Ameda (but to be totally clear, I only used it once, then donated it to a mom who didn’t have a pump). 

I also loved my Hakka silicone pump and my Medela hand pump!

This time, I’ll get a pump again and I think I am going to Get a Freemie to try pumping without the pieces needing to hang out of my shirt (they tuck into your bra instead). It feels ridiculous to have a collection of breast pumps, but I am thankful I have them! 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Patience7150 - Having one at home and one at work was awesome!! So much more convenient than carrying it back and forth all the time.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16