3rd Trimester

Baby getting too big?

I had my 37 week check today, and there is no change to my cervix, but the doc is concerned with a big jump in my weight (4-5 lbs), fundal measurement (from 36 last week to 39 this week), and feeling a lot of growth in the baby (last week she estimated baby was 5-5.5lbs and this week 8lbs!) so we are having an ultrasound tomorrow to check measurements.  Has anyone dealt with anything like this before?  It's my first baby, and I was hoping to deliver naturally.  She mentioned possibly having to induce early or at my due date if the baby is getting too big to deliver vaginally.

Re: Baby getting too big?

• There is no way to know how big baby actually is until delivery. Even u/s measurements can be off a pound in either direction. Fundal measurements are not exact and baby's position can make them vary.

Are your feet or legs swelling at all? I had a few weeks of significant weight gain last pregnancy because my legs were swelling pretty badly so it was all water weight, not baby gaining weight.

Try not to worry until you see what the u/s says tomorrow, but even then remember that u/s measurements can be off too. My BFF was told her baby was measuring 8lbs via u/s - the next day she went into labor and delivered a 6 1/2lb baby.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!

• There is no way to know how big baby actually is until delivery. Even u/s measurements can be off a pound in either direction. Fundal measurements are not exact and baby's position can make them vary.

Are your feet or legs swelling at all? I had a few weeks of significant weight gain last pregnancy because my legs were swelling pretty badly so it was all water weight, not baby gaining weight.

Try not to worry until you see what the u/s says tomorrow, but even then remember that u/s measurements can be off too. My BFF was told her baby was measuring 8lbs via u/s - the next day she went into labor and delivered a 6 1/2lb baby.

All of this. I would ask more questions like why they think you couldn't deliver a larger baby whenever the baby comes. The percentage of women who physically can't vaginally deliver their baby is very small. I myself delivered my 8 pound, 12 ounce baby outside the hospital. My mother did the same with a 9 and a 1/2 pound baby. I know women who've done it with 10 pound babies! I'm personally very skeptical of insisting on inductions just due to a baby's estimated size because they are so inaccurate and I think the concerns about a baby being "too big" are vastly overemphasized.
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom was induced with my brother 2 weeks early they estimated he was 8 maybe 9lbs. Nope my mom vaginally delivered a 10.5lbs 24inch long baby. She went into labor on her own at 36 weeks and the doctors stopped it due to a concern of lung development. 
  • DD was supposed to be a "big" baby. She was 8lbs 12oz.  A pound or so smaller than anticipated. 
  • As pp have said i would ask more questions about why they think that and why they would lean towards that route. That's a big jump in weight and i would think would prompt a lot more questions instead of jumping to delivering early.

My DD was estimated 7+ pound on a Thursday and i delivered a 5 pound 14 oz baby 3 days later.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • As pp have said i would ask more questions about why they think that and why they would lean towards that route. That's a big jump in weight and i would think would prompt a lot more questions instead of jumping to delivering early.

My DD was estimated 7+ pound on a Thursday and i delivered a 5 pound 14 oz baby 3 days later.
    You do realize that the OP had her baby already......and is approximately 6 monthsold, right?l

You do realize that the OP had her baby already......and is approximately 6 monthsold, right?l
    Lol. Didn't read the date stamp.

Why on earth is this so high up on 3rd tri then? Are the tri boards that dead now?

This is what my boredom gets me.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers