December 2018 Moms
Options

GTKY: What do you do for a living?

Re: GTKY: What do you do for a living?

• Options
    @coypartyof4 awesome to see another peds nurse!
  • Options
    I am a skincare consultant for Rodan+Fields... never thought I'd be able to make money while staying at home but it's been pretty great while the kids are young so I can stay home with them! 

DH is in the Navy.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, I like this thread :smiley: I'm a freelance editor right now, and probably will be for a bit. I have a BA in Technical Writing, but DH's career moves us away from places where I can realistically work. I would love to help write aviation manuals but it's logistically impossible (if I want to live with my DH).

Speaking of, DH is in the military. He's going to some schools right now and not working his normal job. It's fun and frustrating at the same time. Last summer most of our friends moved to Japan and Germany. We moved to Kansas. We're moving to Alabama in June, and we're excited to be so close to Atlanta, GA (read: whale sharks!), and Biloxi, MS (where we used to party when dating).

@maureenmce High Fives for post-production work! I worked production ages ago, but for a small TV station in Texas. I was a super-hands-on director and I kind of miss the newsroom chaos, but I really miss editing everything the photogs brought in.

@morgantu Oh! Last fall DH and I saw David Sedaris, and he had interpreters! There were two, and they kept switching out because full body laughter is real. Also, Mr. Sedaris would request all sorts of fun curses just to make them laugh too.
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I’m a personal trainer! I love all my clients so much and it warms my heart to see each one making progress towards their goals! I’m a little worried about picking up weights as i get farther along in pregnancy!
  • Options
    Hey @Activebaby !  I would love to direct the health services department for a school district.  It might be awhile for that though because we'll be moving a bit for MH job.  
    That’s cool my masters is very similar to yours. I moved away from admin now though and am teaching more.
  • Options
    Home health aid. Also going to school for Occupational Therapy
    @pinapplekittycrown I'm in school for OT too!  I'm doing the OTA program, I've got about 5 weeks left of my fieldwork before graduation.  Do you think you'll stay in home health?
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    Looks like we've got a lot of smart ladies on this board :) 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    @texas_t my job is slowly going the way of project management as well. I feel like I have a leg up because at least I know the technical stuff, but it’s annoying that my job is basically following checklists now. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    amfasseamfasse member
    edited April 2018
    Out of sheer necessity, I'm currently a SAHM. Before we moved to TX I worked as an admin assistant at a medical college. But there aren't many jobs here where we live and daycare is scarce so I'm home with my kids while DH is finishing his master's. He's graduating in May with a MSW and will doing counseling/therapy, hoping to work mostly with vets as he is a navy vet himself. I had originally planned to get a job when we moved but with #3 on the way, there's no way we can afford daycare for 3 kids. I am however always looking for ways to exploit my creative skills. I ran an etsy shop for a little while selling printable party invitations and decor that I designed. I also love to write and would LOVE to publish something but I don't think that will happen for a long time. 

eta: I am also a nanny of sorts. Kinda of spacey this morning! I watch a 1 y/o little boy while home with my 2 y/o. I had the past 2 months off and just started up again yesterday! But its a nice way to make some extra $$$ while staying home. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited April 2018
    I'm a first year PhD student in public policy.  Previously I worked in schools, first as a teacher and then as a librarian.  I have four weeks left in this semester and I am trying to focus on everything I need to do, but I'm struggling.  I am exhausted, nauseous, and very distracted thinking about pregnancy.  I am enjoying my program and am glad I'm doing it, but am definitely looking forward to May 8!

My husband does tech stuff at a school.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am a registered nurse and I work in an elementary school. Sometimes the days are slow, but I love the kids and I love the schedule even more, because I get to be home with my own kids a lot! My husband works for Sony and he loves it there too!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    krobkrob member
    I’m new here but figured i should maybe start chiming in. 

I am a film and tv producer. Mostly independent film and currently finishing up my first tv series.  

H is in sports marketing. He helps brands leverage their sports sponsorships with leagues/properties (NFL, NBA, US Open). 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited April 2018
    @krob *waves* Hey there, I'm a reality tv producer and I do scripted/reality hybrids on occasion! Awesome that you work in independent film - I have some friends in that industry. Do you live in LA? 
  • Options

I’m a journalist and I work for an NGO in Brazil - we’re both Brazilian. Husband does PR for a digital agency.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    krobkrob member
    @maureenmce hey hey hey!! i live in NYC. we used to live in LA for 6 years. And i have somewhat of a feeling that we will end up back out there at some point. although i didn’t love my time out there the first time around. 
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
  • Options
    What a fun thread! I’m a family physician and my husband is in cyber security. He has the highest level of government clearance so I don’t know much about what he encounters during his work day, but he seems to enjoy it. 
  • Options
    @krob Hey there! I've been in LA for ages and I think it's actually gotten so much better as a city the last 5 years or so! It's also gotten much more expensive so...there's that. Anyway, hope things aren't too bad with first tri morning sickness and stuff and work! I know that can be really tough on set (I'm in post for this job, so I'm lucky there.) Good luck!
  • Options
    krobkrob member
    @maureenmce welp 5 years ago is when i left so that makes sense. i am in post on this job as well now. Well today&tomorrow we are doing some pickups but mostly i am able to sit at a desk all day now. i am feeling utterly exhausted today. 

i told old one of my producing partners as soon as i found out b/c he’s also one of my best friends. i also told him today i’m about to be a worthless human being soon. so we’ll see. LOL
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
  • Options
    edited April 2018

@echo-charlietango What kind of editing do you do? I don’t know much about that side of the biz but it’s cool you can do it anywhere. Also, David Sedaris! We saw him in Albuquerque!

I'll edit anything I can get my hands on! I used to proofread press releases for friends, and last week I sent out an editing sample for a friend who's writing an urban scifi series. And now I am going back upstairs to work on the stuff that pays - editing military officer's academic papers (mostly line edits for clarity, but the material is usually kind of dense so I need a lot of time to get in the groove (this one is about troops in GPS degraded zones)).

Oh, and David Sedaris -in my copy of Theft By Finding he wrote "Why don't you run around in my ass"  :lol:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am an elementary teacher.  I absolutely love my job!  I’m due Dec 6th and I have enough days saved up to stay home the rest of the year. So I will get to snuggle my little one until August!!!  So blessed. 
    My DH took on a new role in June. While it provides more flexibility in his schedule, it has added 100x more stress. I’m hoping that eases up soon, so we can enjoy our journey together. 
  • Options
    amberlane6586amberlane6586 member
    edited April 2018
    @mcacak23 That's so awesome! I work with abused and neglected children too. I'm a case worker.
    What state do you work in? I'm down in the Florida Keys.

I'm 31 DH is 37. This will be our first child.
    I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow! 
  • Options
    Teacher here! I am actually finishing my B.Ed. degree for a career change - was a piano/voice teacher for years but wanted something that would give me daytime hours rather than evenings/weekend work that comes with piano lessons! DH is a lawyer - we call it "duty counsel" here in Canada but I believe it is the same as public defender in the States. :smile: 
  • Options
    @amberlane6586 hey!! I work in IL about 1.5 hours away from Chicago! 
  • Options
    @mckcak23 oh wow! Do you have any other children? I've always wondered if having my own child , will make me want to stop working in child welfare.  
  • Options
    @amberlane6586 I have an almost 2 year old. For me it definitely has made certain cases harder because I picture my son but I think it has also made stress relief easier because at night 1. I can come home and snuggle him 2. He is usually so busy playing and being goofy that I am focused on him and my day melts away. 
  • Options
    @Mckcak23 I guess it will just be learning how to separate it♡
  • Options
    I'm a speech therapist and my hubs does air conditioning unit repairs!
  • Options
    I’m a professional photographer and my husband is a pastor.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Y'all have some interesting jobs! I'm an international trade compliance attorney, and DH became a SAHD when we had DS. 

@maureenmce Your husband has my husband's dream job! How did he get started in that? 

@mckcak23 My hat is off to you. I spent time working with kids at a women's shelter, and last year did a U-Visa petition for a young girl, and just that changed me forever. So glad there are people like you to advocate.
  • Options
    @ALM2016 He completely changed careers to get into the craft beer industry, so he had to work his way up. He started, weirdly enough, by going to Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp (it's this amazing program they have where, if you're selected, you get to go to the brewery for a week and your team brews their own beer.) It was a fun learning experience for him and gave him some knowledge. He also learned to home brew and learned about the science behind making beer and researched the industry. He then interviewed at a big local brewery here like, the first week they were open and they hired him as a bartender. He worked his way up to manager of the brewery and then, after our daughter was born, the on the floor hours were too much, so luckily (thanks to his years of event management experience in a previous career) they let him move to marketing and events. He's been doing great and is in the midst of getting a promotion to head up the marketing and events team. But long story short, there's no one way to go about it! That's just how it worked out for him. It is a very competitive, crowded field and it requires some long hours, but it's also really fun and he loves it.
  • Options
    So many different and cool jobs! I'm amazed.

I'm an computer security engineer and so is my husband. But I have a role of technical leader while he manages a team of people. We did our master program together; that's how we met :).

Profil icon by j.diegoph on Instagram.
  • Options
    I’m a high risk OB sonographer. Most days I love my job. Some days are incredibly tough though. 
  • Options
    I work from home doing nutrition and health counseling ( I also homeschool) and DH works for the Air Force in Logistics and is a reservist in the AF as well. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’m a licensed esthetician and currently I’m doing full body waxing. I looove it! My husband is a software developer. 
  • Options
    I am a home health aid and also in school for occupational therapy 
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options
    I work as a Medical Lab Technologist in a local hospital. And as it happens... I actually ran and entered my last hCG level into my chart. Woop! 
    I like the field mostly, but often wonder about additional schooling to do something in Epidemiology or... something more research-based. We’ll see... just cringing thinking about more student loans when right now I’ve paid off a good chunk of them. 
    DH works at a tile and carpet store in sales. We are now taking advantage of his discount and are tiling part of both bathrooms upstairs. 

• Options
    I am an Emergency Room Nurse!  I work weekends only so Saturday and Sunday.. I get every 6th off.  I love the ER.  I've tried leaving before because it is super stressful but I ended up right back there :-)

My husband is a painter at Weiler.. its a factory that makes those big road equipment machines.  They do weird stuff I don't even know what it is... powder coat and then high pressured painting.. I dunno, ha.. anyway he likes his job.. they work a lot of overtime in the summers so I'm hoping that doesn't start until I get back the sick feeling stage
  • Options
    I’m a medical-surgical nurse.  I like my job because it’s a great learning atmosphere with patients of all ages and illnesses, but it is a very stressful job.  Ideally, I’d love a job in OB/L&D.  My husband is an environmental manager at an oil company.