Chit Chat
Options

Weekly Randoms 4/9

124»

Re: Weekly Randoms 4/9

• Options

Unfortunately in new construction I kind of think it is normal.  They buy a big plot of land and then just flatten everything regardless. Then because the earth might be soft they throw all that hay down for the big machines to move around.  The hay will eventually decompose. I think they just assume most people won't be digging their yard up right away especially if they landscaped.  We aren't most people though..... and yes it's incredibly lazy.  But they built our 2500 sq ft house in 3 months, along with the other 6 houses in my development. I feel bad for our neighbors who don't have landscaping. Their back yards are just a mess of hay. Ours was included because of a mess up with the builder.

The hay seems like, obviously annoying to you, but not a big thing because it should decompose assuming you don't landscape right away, and it's natural. It's the throwing it over garbage and laying sod over it and calling it a day that gets me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing - trust me...  it really pissed us off. There was broken glass, rebar, nails,  misc garbage, everytime we'd shovel it would hit something. The entire day we were planting we were swearing at the builder and hauling garbage out. The hay is super annoying because it was laid so thick that water isn't draining in our yard and the ground was so compacted it was a PIA to shovel alone.

The major project we have left is putting a patio in.... and of course they didn't level the back yard and there is that chain link fence under the sod we have to deal with.  FML  
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing I've been on a rehab odyssey and every contractor I've hired has left a mess. It just is what it is. Once they get their money, they'll do the job, but oftentimes cut corners on cleanup and leave it up to the homeowner. At that point there aren't any consequences beyond a negative review on the internet. I don't complain about my go-to contractor, though, because he does everything for cheaper than most anyone else. He takes a long time and he leaves a mess usually, and sometimes the jobs get mostly done but not 100% finished until 6 months later, but we deal with it because he's probably saved us thousands already. Oh, and he worked our deductible into our quote for insurance when the tree fell on our roof. I happily cleaned up the tiles afterwards and said nothing. No biggie.
  • Options
    @galactickates the chain link fence under sod might be deliberate (though still probably I’ll advised). My parents did that growing up under our grass so raccoons wouldn’t be able to dig up the grass as easily. I think they ended up regretting it, though, when they then wanted to remove the grass years later...
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 it also prevents gophers from burrowing. My parents did that when they laid down sod.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::