Breastfeeding

Breast feeding and period returned then stopped?

I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son for 4 months now, and I got my period back on February 10th of this year 2018, but then skipped March. Still nothing so far this month April, but in really bloated feeling, and very emotional these last few weeks. I don't have reason to beleive I'm pregnant as my husband and I have been safe. But I'm not on any hormonal birth control. I was just wondering if anyone has had their period return then stop again suddenly while breastfeeding? And if anyone had similar emotional changes, and suggestions on how to deal with then that don't involve hormonal birth control? 

Re: Breast feeding and period returned then stopped?

• meggymemeggyme member
    edited April 2018
    anareign said:
    I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son for 4 months now, and I got my period back on February 10th of this year 2018, but then skipped March. Still nothing so far this month April, but in really bloated feeling, and very emotional these last few weeks. I don't have reason to beleive I'm pregnant as my husband and I have been safe. But I'm not on any hormonal birth control. I was just wondering if anyone has had their period return then stop again suddenly while breastfeeding? And if anyone had similar emotional changes, and suggestions on how to deal with then that don't involve hormonal birth control? 

The best way to tell if you’re pregnant is a hpt. As for emotional changes, at 4 months post partum and nursing, your hormones are still likely to be all over the place, so that’s hardly a reliable indication. There’s not much you can do for it. As for birth control, you may want to talk to your doctor about your options if you’re interested. I believe there is a non-hormonal IUD you can get.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I didn't have that happen. I am still almost exclusively breastfeeding my 9.5-month-old (she gets a few bites of solid food every day, unless I forget, haha, but it does not replace any feedings), and my cycle came back regular as ever when she began sleeping through the night. 

However, there are many women who have irregular periods while they are breastfeeding. It is not unusual. But if it's possible, no matter how slight, take a pregnancy test. They are cheap, and the peace of mind to know one way or the other may be worth it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had some random spotting for a day or two about 3 months PP, but turns out it wasn't actually my period. So maybe it wasn't really a period after all. Mine didn't actually return for almost 18 months.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Well, there's a greater chance that you will have an irregular period during lactation. There's no specific timeline for a return of normal cycles. The period will normalize after you stop breastfeeding.