November 2018 Moms
Options

What's in a name?

Re: What's in a name?

• Options
    My great grandmother's were Catherine and Katherine, so that makes the selection for a girl fairly easy. I just have to decide upon which spelling to use.

For a boy, I'm letting DH choose.
  • Options
    serabjornserabjorn member
    edited May 2018
    We just found out from our test results that we are expecting a boy!

We had a name we both liked for a girl... but we had zero names for a boy.  I talked to hubby about it last night.  He, his brother, and my brother all have names that start with "J"--for some reason I prefer continuing that trend with naming our son a name that starts with "J."
    • I like the name Jeremy, but not the nickname Jerry.  Hubby does not like either.
    • We both like the name Jake, but not the traditional full name Jacob.  Would it be odd for our son's given name to be Jake instead of Jacob?
    • Deviating from a "J" name, we also both like the name Zachary, as well as the shortened name Zach.
    • We have no ideas regarding a middle name a this time.  Suggestions are welcome, for both Jake and Zachary! :)
    Thank you in advance!
          Nov. '18 September Siggy Challenge: Falling into Fall

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @serabjorn - all of my brothers have J names. My older brother is Jeremy and his middle name is Kawehi. I guess because I've known that name my whole life I really like it. We call him Kawehi or his friends call him Wahiawa (the name of the town we grew up in). Sorry if this was absolutely not helpful, I doubt there are a lot of hawaiian names that get used where you're from. As an actual suggestion, I always liked Jacob Bryan or Jake Bryan. It will be fun to see what others suggest ;)

• Options
    runwmusicrunwmusic member
    edited May 2018
    @serabjorn I have a cousin Jake who is not jacob. I don't think that is weird at all. Justin, Jason, Jack, and Jake round out the boys in that immediate family. They stuck with J's as well!
  • Options
    I think Jake is great as well but honestly prefer Zachary.  I like Zachary Connor but it's hard to come up with middle names without a last name for me.  

• Options
    @serabjorn my godbrother is Jeremy, and he has never been Jerry. I've always called him Jemmy, Jerms or Jems. If you like the name but don't want people to use a disliked nickname, speak up. My DH and I were very vocal our son is Benjamin, Ben or Benny, NEVER Benji. I like Jake, and I've known people who have given "nicknames" as names. An ex's sister named her son Bobby (not Robert), and my grandfather was Fred, not Frederick.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @serabjorn I agree with @phoenix870509. If you don’t like a nickname someone is calling your child, then just tell them! My father would call my DD a shortened version of her name all the time, and I just hated it for some reason (still do). Every time he said it I’d (nicely) correct him. He eventually got tired of me nagging him  :D
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We're team green this time so we'll have to come up with both!  We definitely haven't settled on anything but I like way more girl names than DH does...although I haven't even thought about middle names yet!

Girls:
    Mary
    Violet
    Elise
    Ruby
    Poppy
    Amelia
    Rose
    Jane
    Lucy
    Lola
    Gwen (or Gwyneth - we like Winnie for short)
    Hazel
    Alice
    Dahlia
    Kate
    Eve
    Wren (DH hates this one)
    Poppy
    Lydia
    Hattie (although I don't like the full name Harriet even though it was DH's grandma's name)
    Ruth
    Margaret

Boys:
    Max (I like Maximilian but DH hates the long version, I think he liked Maximus though)
    Grant
    Chase
    Reed
    Gage
    Oliver
    Colt
    Cash
    Levi
    Carter
    Ace
    Walker
    Henry
    Luke
    Maverick (DH hates this one)
    Knox
    Jake

The other day DH threw out Rocket for a boy and I kind of don't hate it...like I think I actually really like it but I'm pretty sure our families would lost their minds lol.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a friend named Brad, not Bradley, just Brad.  And not that this will happen especially if you have a bad memory/connection with a certain name/nickname but it is interesting that once LO gets here you might completely change your mind on it.  My first name is Elisabeth (yes, with an S not a Z lol).  Personally I love it, although I've always had to correct people on it.  But that being said, my mom intentionally picked Elisabeth because 1) she hates the nickname Liz and refused to let me be called Lizzy Lizard and 2) she intended on nicknaming me Lisa (Lis-ah not Lee-sah) but immediately nicknamed me Beth (not that is what I go by now) lol

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    DH has two uncles named Ed, not Edward, and Tom, not Thomas. His Grandma liked the names but his Grandpa thought the longer versions were "up-ity" lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't choose a name based on would-be could-be's. I worried so much about that with my DD1, Daphne. I thought of people spelling her name wrong, calling her Stephanie by mistake, or calling her Daffy Duck. None of that has come up, and we love her name. And one of her nn became "Daffodil" somehow. DD2 is Whitney and nobody has nn her 'Whit' or 'Whitty' or whatever yet. I call her "Whitney Joy" quite often, which is her first&middle name. Long story short, don't harp on what you think will happen. If you like a name, go with it. Others will follow whatever YOU tend to call them. 
    Loss1 June 2011
    DS June 2012
    DD1 February 2014
    DD2 February 2016
    Loss2 June 2017
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We have just recently started talking names. Our son's name is Maddox so we are thinking of sticking with another M if its a boy. I like Miles and we both like Maverick. 

Have not agreed on any girl names though. 
  • Options
    So, the last few days I have been rethinking our boy name. We still want Max but unsure what the full name should be. Right now, we have Maximus, Maddox, or Maxim. The middle name would be Edward. What do you ladies think? Any other suggestions welcome too!
  • Options
    @aemartinez Oh man, we may steal your DD's name, Daphne. I mentioned it to MH tonight and he loves it!  <3
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    eahayeseahayes member
    @serabjorn those are great! My cousin jut named her child Judah, some call him Jude. I think that’s cute!
    @lostarz14 those are all so great!!
  • Options
    Everly Magdalene is our girl name. 
    Hausten Edward is our boy name. 
  • Options
    @bfpafter4years we are thinking Maddox with the nickname Max too! I love Maxim as well. 

My struggle is that we are thinking a middle name of Jon. I like Maddox Jon but Max Jon is too short. Jon is a family name so we want to use it but I just don’t know! Our other boy name is Lucas. 

Girl names are still narrowed to Brynn Isabel or Sloane Isabel. DH likes Quinn but I don’t...we loved Evelyn Mae but after seeing a thousand Evelyns lately that one is now off the list. 
  • Options
    I have no clue how we are going to pick a boy's name. All the ones I had on my list now sound not so great. We are team green, but given DH's family history, I'm guessing we have another boy on our hands. I like a lot of my girl names still. And DH has zero input. I know it is early to stress, but the names were what kept us in the hospital with our first two. It was the last thing we filled in before we were officially able to leave. Poor DS was nameless for about 36 hours!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @wannaflickone - that is one big disadvantage to being team green I'm learning... having to try and pick names for each sex. Girl names are harder for us. DH's family has mostly boys so I expect this baby to be a boy as well. I think we have a boy name although there is still a lot of time to change our minds! 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    kbyahnkbyahn member
    edited May 2018
    @lostarz14 Noticed you have "Poppy" twice... maybe it's a sign?? ;)
  • Options
    I agree 200000000% girl names are easier to find! We have decided on spencer Alan for our little man. So we will have a Brighton Lee, Lennox James and Spencer Alan <3
    nws
  • Options
    kbyahn said:
    @lostarz14 Noticed you have "Poppy" twice... maybe it's a sign?? ;)
    haha, I didn't notice that.  Maybe it is!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86 DH was the same way with DS. We agreed on William Edward, until he learned we were actually having a boy and then he changed it and would not budge. I gave in but I got 80% naming rights for the next one. 
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86 Ugh, yeah, I side with you on this one. Stay strong friend!
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    @middleschoolmommy My husband wanted a name I disliked for our first and I caved but only for 100% naming rights on all future children! He thinks he still gets a veto on this one but he’s wrong - Hahah! So glad someone else made a similar deal bc I get major side eye from people whenever I tell them about our naming deal. 
  • Options
    eahayeseahayes member
    @firsttimespartanmom Love love love Sloane!! That's my vote :) 
  • Options
    We found out we are having a GIRL today! So here are my top 3 girl names. I’d be interested in hearing your favorite/name you find most tolerable 

1. Sylvia 
    2. Karina
    3. Josephine (although it seems like Josephine is gaining popularity fast). 

I also really like Estelle, but not as much as the other three. Love Celeste, but hubs isn’t a fan. 
  • Options
    I love Silvia! It is high on my list of girl names!
  • Options
    @BabyBoyH92016 I think Josephine is so adorable! 
  • Options
    meiosismeiosis member
    edited May 2018
    @CopperBoom86 I really like Knox! That sounds like a really frustrating situation. Stay strong! 

My husband is also reallllllly picky with names so we're having trouble finding one we agree on. The only name from my list that he is open to is Emily, so that will probably be her name, but I really want Eden or Aris! Silver lining: when I asked my almost 17-month-old if she likes the name Emily for her baby sister she said "Emy!!" and it was extremely cute. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @middleschoolmommy
    NOT a stripper name lol it's so cute!! I play bagpipes so, my pipe major went by Piper. It's a unisex name and I, for one, vote for that!
  • Options
    DH seems to think he has veto rights to every single middle name I've presented him with. So, I told him I'm putting my foot down and giving her my dad's middle name. He can't argue with it because ds has FILs middle name as his middle name.

He agreed... But now I'm wondering if Everly Blaine is really the right way to go? :/

Middle names he said no to previously:
    Claire
    Rose
    Marie
    Quinn
    Nicole
    Jean 

*side note, using Blaine will give her same initials as myself. Which is sort of a tradition. I shared my dad's and grandpa's initials before marriage. 
  • Options
    @middleschoolmommy I think Everly Blaine is super cute! 
  • Options
    I vote Everly Blaine! So cool. 

• Options
    @middleschoolmommy everly Blaine is adorable. I'm big on tradition as well.