October 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 3/29

Re: UO Thursday 3/29

• Options
    I swear I'm hungry every 2 hours...
  • Options
    @jemmerjams I’m totally going to miss my wine this year, too!  I think the Easter Bunny might bring me Coke instead.  I haven’t drank a Coke for probably 5 years and now it’s my biggest craving.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sammierose464 Me too - if I don’t eat regularly nausea amps up. And of course carbs are the only thing that sounds good. By some miracle I’ve only gained 1lb so far!

Maybe I’m just an awful chip eater but I had no idea there was cool ranch or sweet chili Doritos! Could also be because I’m Canadian and we get way less options than in the US. But we get ketchup chips so I’m willing to sacrifice the Doritos options. 

And my UO is I think Doritos in general are gross - My best friend’s bf barfed up a bag of them all over her car when we were in high school and I will never forget that smell. Pretty sure I’d barf if I tried eating one now.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @mesamyt You forgot St. Patrick’s Day. Why TF does the leprechaun bring gifts? First of all, THE leprechaun? Now there’s a main leprechaun? What’s his name? And aren’t they supposed to be kind of mean and trick people? Somehow now he brings gifts? Sorry, of all the mini Christmases, that one bothers me the most.

I hate Doritos. There, I said it. I don’t like eating them and I don’t like other people eating them... besides being gross, they give everybody horrible breath.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ketchup chips are wonderful. We should get them in Detroit since we are so close... But we don't. 
  • Options
    @mama2bofthree Oh man, I've maybe had 1 or 2 Cokes a year for the past 5 years, but for some reason I've really been wanting them during this pregnancy. SO GOOD! I try to limit myself to one a week, but geez, I've had more in the last month than in the last 5 years. Also, Dr. Pepper makes me poop, which is great. 

Definitely Cool Ranch over Nacho Cheese. However, my absolute favorite are those Chile Limon Lays. After my wedding, I swear I ate an entire bag of those a week for seriously months. I've since slowed down though.

I also think this "free range parenting" thing is crazy. I grew up in Oklahoma, and I remember going to the store with my mom and sitting in the car in the summer and sweating. But still I sat there (I'm sure the windows were down but it's still hot as hellfire). And that was even before phones, and I wasn't allowed to leave the radio on. What did I do?? (Disclaimer: she wouldn't have done that unless I was old enough to know if I was getting too hot. Pretty sure she'd leave the keys.)
  • Options
    @hannaht8516 - same.  I remember riding my bike to piano lessons or the craft store- and I couldn’t have been more than 11 or 12. And summers stomping through the poison ivy to get to our favorite swimming beach at the lake...
  • Options
    You can all pass your nacho cheese in my direction.
  • Options
    @knottieamusements Yes! I rode my bike everywhere and walked home from school. I climbed trees when no one was home. I miss those days...
  • Options
    I live nosey town USA. Talking to mom’s of older kids, it’s apparently a real issue that lots of the helicopter moms are constantly reporting other moms to CPS. I guess they have nothing better to do with their time. So not only do they have to decide what boundaries they think are appropriate for their own children, but they also have to worry about if those choices will get them investigated. I’m sure 99% of the calls amount to nothing, but still, you never want to have to depend yourself to CPS. Not looking forward to dealing with that in a few years. 
  • Options
    My UO: I hate going to the movies. Case in point- $47 later DS1, SD and I watched a movie, ate a bag of popcorn and all shared a drink. Eye roll. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    @sammierose464 here is a mind blowing fact! There are ketchup Doritos and dill pickle Doritos too here in Canada! They are delicious!
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    Ketchup chips are wonderful. We should get them in Detroit since we are so close... But we don't. 
    I think ketchup is so disgusting. I guess that is an UO.
  • Options
    @Gizmo1231 Same! If it's a movie we HAVE to see in theatres (anything Marvel basically) then I try and put my foot down about drinks and snacks. That is what giant purses were invented for. My husband always insists it's part of the experience though. So we rarely go.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @krzyriver Exactly! Throw a couple cans of pop in there, open them during a loud part. Boom. $15 saved.
  • Options
    Many people in my neighborhood seem to be ok with kids being alone if they are old enough, but I’ve also heard stories of nosey neighbors, mostly in the next town over. My 5 year olds asked me to leave them in the car while I ran into the bank last month and I wanted to so badly, but it was in noseyville so I had to explain to them that I would love to, but didn’t want somebody to report us.  It’s such a hard thing to balance. Yes, I believe my 5 year olds are mature enough to sit in their car seats while I make a deposit at the bank on a weekday morning, but I’m also afraid that somebody will see them and report it, so I didn’t let them.  I’d love a free range kid law here. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    I live nosey town USA. Talking to mom’s of older kids, it’s apparently a real issue that lots of the helicopter moms are constantly reporting other moms to CPS. I guess they have nothing better to do with their time. So not only do they have to decide what boundaries they think are appropriate for their own children, but they also have to worry about if those choices will get them investigated. I’m sure 99% of the calls amount to nothing, but still, you never want to have to depend yourself to CPS. Not looking forward to dealing with that in a few years. 
    Over what? Like what are they over-reporting for?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tinattt23tinattt23 member
    edited March 2018
    @DunkinDecaf Majority I’ve heard of are kids walking home from school/to the park/to friends houses alone. Kids in cars while the parents go in to pay for gas (older kids, not talking babies). Parents letting their kids stay home alone/with siblings too young. 

ETA: We also live in one of the safest cities in the country. 
  • Options
    @tinattt23 yeah that’s ridiculous. Rage city.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Regarding leaving kids in cars...

My work parking is in a large underground garage, which in the winter gets into the 40s and in the summer the low 80s. I had a coworker chew me out once for leaving my dog in the car for two hours (with window open and available water) in the garage. 

She later came back and apologized.  
  • Options
    +1 for the cooler ranch Doritos...those are the only ones I like. I have been craving them and ate a whole bag a couple of weeks ago...and they are now going on the grocery list again...

@SawyerRichardson I 100% agree with you about going to the movies. It’s so expensive and I hate that I can’t pause it to go to the bathroom or rewind it if I fall asleep.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    mesamyt said:
    Why is no one singing the praises of the Dorito tacos from Taco Bell?  
    Team NACHO CHEESE Doritos! Also, yes! Dorito taco supreme is my fast food guilty pleasure that I may or may not indulge in a few times per year, possibly or possibly not while DH is away on business travel and cannot give me the guilty side eye.
  • Options
    @mesamyt I totally agree with you. That's how I plan to be when my kids are older! 
  • Options
    @pumpkinpancake this baby will be an elective c-section. Not ashamed. DD was born vaginally and gave me a 3rd degree tear both directions and PPH to the point that I lost almost 1/2 my blood in a matter of minutes.

my OB is giving me the choice to have a c-section or be induced early. It is not exactly medically necessary since there is a chance I could deliver vaginally with no complications. (Every birth is different)

I guess my point is that not every elective c-section is chosen just because they don’t want to deal with a vaginal birth, there are lots of factors to consider. My reason is because if I tear again I will very likely have bathroom issues starting very young. Also, I have to deliver in the OR either way since PPH happening again is a very real thing.
  • Options
    My UO opinion; I miss my medical marijuana way more than wine. 
  • Options
    @BabyRobbinsAdventure I don’t think what you’re describing in your case is the same as what I’d consider an “elective” c section. Yes, you may be planning on that, but it sounds like you had a difficult birth the first time around, so you’re doing it for a specific medical reason.  I get that and don’t judge for that. I’m more talking about first time moms who don’t have the experience with it already, who choose to get a c section. 
  • Options
    DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited March 2018
    @BabyRobbinsAdventure I would 100% choose c section in your shoes. That sounds terrifying.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Team nacho cheese here! Sweet chili? *contemplates running to the store to see if they have them*
    Also love taco bell dorito Tacos! I hate what they charge for them but whatever I still get some once a year with DH. I have avoided taco bell as I feel their nacho fries will become my craving and I can't afford that and I know I will gain quickly if I eat them. 
  • Options
    @tinattt23 I love you.

Now to plan a taco bell trip and I need to remember to order a special box! 
  • Options
    On kids roaming the neighborhood. I’m totally cool with people letting their kids roam as long as their old enough. In MD you have to be 8 to stay home alone, so I would say 8 and up fine. I issued to have a neighbor who would let her two year out alone...not okay.
  • Options
    SS would eat Taco Bell daily if I let him. The nacho fries are delicious.
  • Options
    Now I really want Taco Bell... Maybe tomorrow

Between the 3, cool Ranch all the way. Though my favorite are usually cheddar and sour cream chips

I try to be pretty active here, but I have no intention of putting up an ultrasound unless my radiologist gets a super great 3d/4d picture after 20 weeks (which she is pretty good at). Same deal for HDBD. I won't post there until there is no mistaking I am pregnant.

We have a baby on board thing, because it was gave to us. But come to think of it I think DS threw it on the floor not long ago. Lol

My UO (at least it seems to be around here) is : Car seat safety and guidelines aren't opinion. They are scientifically backed/tested and they should be followed.
    No, your coat in carseat wearing, forward facing 18 month old child (who is just now reaching 20lbs) is, in fact NOT as safe as my rear facing, almost 2yo old. It doesn't matter how you argue it, it's not going to change the safety.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    kiwi2628 said:
    @knottieamusements you may hate me for this, but I would yell too. Hell, I would call the cops (and I have, on many people). In a bunch of states it's illegal to leave a dog in a car and I have seen too many dogs die from even 70 degree days (because on a 70 degree day inside a car it can get up to 100). Granted you had the windows open...but still. A 5 year old can open a car door and walk out if they overheat. A dog cannot, and its an awful way to die.
    Kiwi - apparently you missed the part that the car was parked in an underground garage. 

Edited to add: I am perfectly well aware of how hot a parked car gets when sitting in direct sunlight, but I appreciate the reminder. 
  • Options
    @knottieamusements nope. Didn't read it wrong. Leaving a dog in a car unattended for 2 hours isn't right. Period. Again, I have seen dogs overheat, I have seen dogs strangle themselves in their leash trying to get out of cars, or injure themselves. Regardless, it's illegal in many states. 5 minutes to run into CVS? Sure, go crazy, but 2 hours? The dog should be at home or in a doggie day care or boarding, not in a car.