December 2018 Moms
Options

Winter babies!

What are some of the things you think are a pros/cons of a winter baby?

One thing that came to mind is getting Christmas presents for baby(this is #2 so no shower) a downfall is being stuck inside until spring.
Always hold on to hope ❤

Re: Winter babies!

• Options
    Oh, fun topic!

Well, the biggest pro for me is that I feel like it will make for an incredibly magical (if, you know, totally chaotic) Christmas to remember. I'm already picturing newborn photos with the tree in the background. :) The logistical pros for us will be that my husband gets some time off that won't come out of his paternity leave, and the timing is great for my industry (I work freelance and the holidays are our slowest time to find work, so I'm thrilled.) Also, we live in LA, so it won't be *super* cold, but cold enough that I'll get to buy adorable little winter newborn clothes! We have some leftover from my DD (a February baby) that she wore maybe once or twice, haha.

Cons - flu season! I am so paranoid about this, especially after how bad the flu was this year, and I have a toddler who goes to daycare and obviously brings home every germ. I think I will probably wait for most people to meet this little one until big sister's birthday party in early February. Also, I do feel bad that having a newborn and going through that noise/craziness/sleeplessness might mess up DD's Christmas a little, but hopefully, since this is our second time around, it won't be as crazy as the first? 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @mureenmce I totally agree with the Flu season. This year was terrifying! And I too already am picturing a squishy newborn under the tree  :D
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pros - Not having to compete for time off with my colleagues for Christmas, not having to buy a giant winter coat to stuff my pregnant belly into. 

Cons - I was at my most pregnant throughout the winter last time around, so I'll need new maternity clothes. And we travel (not far, but a few hours in the car) for Christmas, which won't be fun with a newborn as I'm still recovering from childbirth.
  • Options
    Pros: having off for Christmas, Not being super pregnant in the summer (it gets so hot)!
    cons: Flu season (terrified of this), using up all vacation and not having any for summer, my older 2 were late spring/early summer babies - I’ll have to buy clothes maybe because of season differences. I was pretty lucky and able to reuse everything from ds1 for ds2.
  • Options
    Pros: My three year old was born in January do we are prepared clothes wise. Not being super pregnant in the summer since we are moving to Georgia in a month or two from Arizona. I’ve never dealt with humidity before, so we’ll see how this goes. 

Cons: same as everyone else, the flu season 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Mazinator What part of GA are you moving to? My husband and I used to live in Athens and think about returning (or moving to Atlanta) on pretty much a daily basis.
  • Options
    @Mazinator What part of GA are you moving to? My husband and I used to live in Athens and think about returning (or moving to Atlanta) on pretty much a daily basis.
    We’re headed to Atlanta!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pros - NOT being at 9 months pregnant in the 11 billion degree Texas summer heat and humidity. 

@Mazinator Humidity is the devil!! So says my hair. 
  • Options
    @Mazinator Awesome! Hope you like it! Though, as @ALM2016 says, the humidity is uh, a bit of an adjustment, especially coming from a dry climate like Arizona. The thing I couldn't get used to when I lived in GA is how it doesn't really cool off at night in the summer like it does where we live in Los Angeles. Like, if it's hot and humid during the day it's still pretty hot and humid at midnight! But the seasons are wonderful and Atlanta (and where I lived in Athens) it's pretty mild every season except summer (which is, admittedly, very hot/humid.)
  • Options
    @maureenmce That’s good to hear. We visited during the end of winter and it was beautiful. We were in Decatur and loved it. Honestly, my biggest fear is ticks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited April 2018
    Okay, I'm not normally a cutesy newborn photo/costume type person, butttttttt I may have pinned this little snowman newborn outfit on pinterest because I couldn't help myself.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/467776916/newborn-snowman-hat-newborn-snowman?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

*Edited to post the photo too, instead of just the link! :)
  • Options
    **I wrote this last week and apparently never posted it... the draft was still here when I opened the thread again haha.. so here it is now!**

Being a winter baby myself I have to say that I love it! My cousin's birthday is the day after mine and we always celebrate when it snows on our birthdays - its like a special present just for us! My birthday is the 9th, so far enough away from Christmas that my parents were able to make them separate. And my family has tons of December babies so the moms/daughters would always get together and go out for a special event in December to celebrate. 

I am SO looking forward to not doing my 3rd trimester in the summer again - my first 2 are both summer babies. And it will be nice to be home and not feel like I have to go anywhere because 1) newborn and 2) weather. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @maureenmce omggggg my hearttttt. That photoshoot is beyond adorable.
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options
    @pinapplekittycrown Isn't it??? It's gonna be hilarious if I do it because we live in LA and it'll probably be a mild 65 degrees, haha. (But I'm totally gonna do it anyway.)
  • Options
    My personal pros and cons. Pros definitely outweigh the cons, which I think they do no matter the time of year ❤️

Pros:

1) It won’t be HOT out. I live in Arizona so the winters here are suuuuper nice outside!

2) My due date is December 13th and while I would normally hope for baby to cook as long as possible... My dad’s birthday is December 7th (he passed away when I was a kid) and so how cool would it be for them to share a bday? I know... totally wishful thinking LOL. I’m a weirdo.

3) Super awesome Christmas present!

4) Babies are awesome and a blessing no matter when they are born.

5) I like the December birthstone.

6) The time of year is always busy, so maybe those last few weeks of pregnancy that seem like forever and are uncomfortable will go by faster.

Cons:

1) Flu season

2) Baby’s Birthday is super close to Christmas.. which will kind of stink for them as they grow older. But I think as long as you separate their bday from Christmas, it will be ok!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My own personal pros and cons:

Pro: Won’t be Alabama hot during the last days. The bump acts as an insulator! All my maternity clothes will be perfect for the season and I can wear my Christmas dresses again. Baby will be born fairly close to DS, so no huge fights over birthdays (hopefully!). EDD is the 11th. My mom’s birthday is 10/11 and mine is 11/11. How cool would it be to have the 3rd generation be 12/11?! (Doubtful. DS was 11 days overdue.)

Con: FLU/RSV SEASON. When DS was in the NICU the PICU next door was full to the gills with RSV kids :cry: Won’t be able to travel anywhere for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Husband will be getting home from 11-week work trip AS baby is due (oops). Holiday birthday = gifts and parties are an afterthought. Poor children! 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018