July 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 3/19: Nursing Clothes/Bras/Gear

13»

Re: Product Spotlight 3/19: Nursing Clothes/Bras/Gear

• Options
    No need to clean the pump itself. Just sterilize the parts in boiling water (bottles, flanges, etc). Instructions should tell you which parts need to be sterilized but in my experience you don’t do the tubes and I don’t think I did the back flow protector for the spectra either. The pump itself is already sterile. I’d maybe have the parts ready to go just in case but honestly it takes very little time to sterilize. For what it’s worth I planned to EBF but had to pump right away because my baby wouldn’t latch and neeeded to bring my supply in via pumping. You just never know. 
  • Options
    I probably won’t sterilize the parts until i really need it. I’m hoping BFing will be easier this time. I had to bottlefeed at one week because of super bloody and crusty nipples (ouch!). 
    UO- i don’t really believe in the nipple confession stuff. We gave a paci and bottle early but he eventually took the breast (~3 months later) without issue or any attempts in between. Maybe he was just in it for the food lol but then again each baby is different. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    acunamatadaacunamatada member
    edited June 2018
    wildtot said:
    UO- i don’t really believe in the nipple confession stuff. We gave a paci and bottle early but he eventually took the breast (~3 months later) without issue or any attempts in between. Maybe he was just in it for the food lol but then again each baby is different. 
    +1 DH was antsy to feed DS so we introduced bottles at a few days and had no issues too, we just had to pace his feedings because he was so refluxy. But he would never take a paci! He was probably in it for the food lol. 
  • Options
    wildtot said:
    I probably won’t sterilize the parts until i really need it. I’m hoping BFing will be easier this time. I had to bottlefeed at one week because of super bloody and crusty nipples (ouch!). 
    I heard of people waiting until 6 weeks for a paci and then baby never took a bottle! So I think I will try a paci early on, maybe not right away, but I am really hoping to get him used to different "textures", LOL!
  • Options
    @kissableviv yeah I’ve heard of bottle issues if you wait too long! That would of been a nightmare for me with going back to work.
  • Options
    100% agree with @zande2016 - we never went past 0/1 speed nipples with DD - as a working mom I didn't have a choice about the bottle since DD had to have them at daycare and I think at the time they were saying 12 weeks minimum for bottles.  Granted we didn't have the best BF relationship, but never had a straight up nipple confusion or breast refusal/aversion.  I also had a much easier time weaning her than my gf who waited on the bottle and had a 100% boob obsessed kid.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @zande2016 @gingerbride26 totally agree on the flow! I think that maybe one reason DS likes the bottle better at first because i could chose to make it slower. My letdown was fast and forceful. Poor thing ended up showered in milk half the time. 
  • Options
    I agree with ya'll too!  I taught the infant teachers in DD's room how to pace feed by showing them a YouTube video and we never went above the 0-1 nipples on bottles either.  They told me sometimes she seemed frustrated that the flow wasn't faster - I said "tough luck"!  LOL

@flockofmoosen3 - this is the pump I got through my insurance last time.  On Amazon it's about the same price as what they would give you for a double and I really really liked it!  Made it super easy for me to take pumping stuff to work and home, as well as to use in the car with Freemies attached during my commute.  I got the Spectra s2 this time and plan to use both of them!  

https://smile.amazon.com/Spectra-Baby-USA-Portable-Rechargeable/dp/B00MJLIW4O/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1529520430&sr=8-5&keywords=spectra+s9&dpID=41AUmnR9EwL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there’s a rule with insurance companies about supplying a pump if they already did 1.5 years ago? I tried looking on the website (I have BCBS) but couldn’t find anything. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with mine(haven’t lugged it out yet), but it would be nice to have a new one!
  • Options
    kc1293kc1293 member
    @julianne0 I can't say for BCBS, but I have been through two insurance companies with three pregnancies (United and a company through Marketplace). My kids are 15 months and 21 months apart. Both companies have stated that they cover one pump per pregnancy. Nothing about the time in between pregnancies.

• Options
    zg49zg49 member
    @julianne0 I have BCBS and mine covers 1 pump per pregnancy so you might be eligible for a new one! I'd just give them a call and they can quickly give you the details. 

• Options
    @kc1293 @zg49 thank you!! That’s good news :)  I’m definitely going to try to get another then
  • Options
    @kissableviv the nursing tanks arrived last night. I'm a fan, super soft and comfy, easy to wear and easy boob access lol. I might start wearing them now  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kissableviv the nursing tanks arrived last night. I'm a fan, super soft and comfy, easy to wear and easy boob access lol. I might start wearing them now  :)
    I have worn one for the past 2 days! Yay!
  • Options
    @summermama18 bahaha that’s my thought process too! 
  • Options
    I haven't but I *think* you can get away with the delicate cycle. Some machines have a "handwash" cycle too. I actually don't mind hand washing the occasional items because I pay for laundry:) I'll try washing one in the delicate cycle and report back!
  • Options
    @summermama18 I was also going to suggest just washing in the delicate cycle and maybe in one of those mesh bags? I also got the tanks! Good recommendation @kissableviv
  • Options
    @kissableviv if there’s any concern with the washing machine, don’t put the tops at risk for my science experiment! But if you do....I’ll be interested in the results :)

@julianne0 the mesh bags is a good idea to be on the safe side 

I was looking at other nursing tops online yesterday and almost all of them recommended hand washing. I’m thinking a gentle cycle with or without the mesh bags should be fine...you’d think they’d recognize that new mothers have other things to do than hand washing their nursing tops!