October 2018 Moms

Best double stroller for toddler and newborn?

2»

Re: Best double stroller for toddler and newborn?

• @chopchop25 Well, you have options. You need a car seat, for sure. If you go with the newborn bucket seat, that needs a base (preferably one for each car). If you go with a convertible seat, no base needed. But you’ll probably want one seat per car since they don’t move easily. Personal opinion, bucket seat is way easier for an infant, but only last 6-12 months (depending on how big your baby is) before you have to get a convertible anyways. Your choice if you register for both upfront or deal with a second seat when the time comes. 

Travel systems typically come with a stroller, bucket seat, and one base. Nice in that it’s all works together and they’re usually a better deal than buying individually. But if you have a specific car seat or stroller in mind, they may or may not be sold a sa set. Just depends what you want. We got a Graco travel system. I want to say it was like $250 plus an extra $30 for a second base for a second car. I’ll reuse the car seat this time and just buy a double stroller (and a second convertible car seat when the time comes). 
  • Thanks @tropical1982 and @tinattt23 - I don't know why this has to be so complicated with so many parts! :) I may have to hit one of you up (if you don't mind) once I do a registry to make sure I'm not missing any pieces...
  • Loading the player...
  • @chopchop25 and any others, this is what we got for DS. I’ve been totally happy with it. Stroller goes over grass and gravel paths without issue. Folds super easy with one hand (though it doesn’t fold down super small). Snack tray is a must for us. Don’t know why so many strollers don’t have them or you have to buy them separately. Same with the parent cup holders/tray. Big basket underneath. Did very little research before hand and ended up loving it. Sometimes I wish I would have put a lot less thought into half our registry. 

Graco Fastaction Fold Sport Click Connect Travel System, Pierce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVW456C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZOuUAbN4C85HA
  • @chopchop25 they definitely make it way too complicated. With DS I sat down with my Mom friend and had her explain everything. I didn’t know what half the crap was. 
  • I think we’re going double Bob. I love love love my single, the Britax infant seat works with it, and we need heavy duty wheels for gravel sidewalks. 
  • @Lisa3379 my aunt had a double bob for her twins and loved it. She is an avid walker and runner and she used it a ton with them.
  • Lisa3379Lisa3379 member
    edited March 2018
    @sammierose464 nice! Yeah, I love getting out for walks and my single has been great for that. A double just seems SO HUGE! But I think that’s going to be an issue no matter what we get. 
  • Resurrecting this thread

@BLyn627 is your Ready 2 Grow easy to handle? I’m considering it to replace my single graco. 
  • I went to Buy Buy Baby this weekend to play with the double strollers. A was closer to 3 when E was born and hardly ever in the stroller at that point so I didn’t get a double. With E and Squish being 22ish months apart, I figure I’ll need one. I liked the City Mini double the best and figure I can always put A in the stroller and babywear Squish if I need to have both older kids in it. I don’t like how clunky the tandems are to steer so side by side it is for us! We tried all sorts of doubles, which was actually fun!
  • @cdepperschmidt I think it's easy to handle and I don't have a problem with it. I know several of my friends have said the sit n stand brand one is hard to maneuver, but I've never had a problem with my graco one. DH complains every once in a while that when he pushes it, his feet hit the bottom part of it while walking, but I've never had an issue.
  • @BLyn627 That sounds like user error to me. 
  • @cdepperschmidt He says it's because his legs are long. I think he could avoid it if he really tried lol
  • @BLyn627 how tall is your husband?
  • @mommy2ane My LOs will be 14 months apart so I decided on the city mni double also. I'm getting the side by side because I know I will run into so many things with the tandem. The side by side double isn't that much wider than my britax b ready. Now DH just needs to get over the sticker shock!
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @britvahok It really is pricey! H is hoping we find one on the Facebook marketplace or that family memebers give us gift cards so we don’t have to pay full price. I tried the City Select with both my kids in it and it was tough to steer. My parents were with us and my dad wanted me to go for that one until he tried pushing it. 
  • I love my uppababy vista. I have the seat, bassinet, and rumble seat. DD is two and I take care of a 9 month old a few days a week. Right now I use the two seat configuration and it works great. I even jog with it. Lightweight, steers nice, and the kids are comfortable. I got my vista on clearance in July.
  • @mommy2ane My plan is to add it to my registry and use the completion coupon to purchase it.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• You can get great deals on fb marketplace! I've purchased a city mini for $100, which is totally reasonable. It wasn't my favorite so I resold it for the same price easily :) 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @hellopartyof5 what didn't you like about the city mini? We are also looking at the city mini gt. Hoping to get one stroller to use for walks/trails/travel and also everyday use.  We really want to avoid buying two strollers if possible.  The kids will be 3 years apart but DD still rides a lot whenever we go places, especially for the weekends (parks, zoos, festivals, theme parks).

I am not a fan of most tandem doubles and the few sit to stands seem to be not quite what we are looking for.  Picking out a double stroller seems so much harder than getting a single!
  • @drb2424 he honestly I wanted to be able to parent face with the baby, so that was s factor. I also got a double BOB for $40 and the push on that was just SOOO much smoother. So I bought a city select and had the bob and they've both been fantastic. I think if I was forced to only have one stroller the city mini GT is what I would go for. Smaller than the BOB, but still good for all the different things we do. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @drb2424 I got the City Mini GT on the marketplace and we love it! The storage is lacking, but the size and compactness more than makes up for it in my
    opinion. I’ve said before that I take my kids to Disneyland by myself a lot. I got the City Mini because it’s one that I can easily fold up and take with me on the bus or tram, and still hold on to my 16 month old. It rides smooth and has a nice recline. 

@britvahok That’s what I did as well. And I figure I’ll just ask for Amazon gift cards for Mother’s Day (my MIL and Mom usually get me something and ask what I want or need) and my birthday so that I can put it towards the stroller. They can run around $300 on the marketplace, and then are $500 on Amazon so I’m thinking that I have $100 already in gift cards I haven't used. A little more could help with the completion coupon and we’d end up spending close to what we would for a used one 
  • @hellopartyof5 @mommy2ane Thanks Ladies! We have yet to go try them out but we will soon.  So far we are sold on this one as our only stroller.  My husband is also into the Bob dualie but I think its too big for everyday so we would then probably get a sit to stand for daily use.  BTW what an awesome price for the Bob double for $40!! I haven't seen any nearly that cheap in my area.
  • @drb2424 oh it was a MESS lolol I had to take the fabric off and soak it in bleach, then put it in a regular cycle, then bleach again lol! But it was worth the blood sweat and tears because we use it all the time! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @hellopartyof5 that's one reason I've been shying away from a used stroller off Marketplace...I don't want to put in the effort for my obsessive cleaning.
  • @sammierose464 it’s totally worth the cleaning if you save a ton of money! I got my city mini GT for $60. It’s practically unheard of! I did not mind cleaning it at all. 
  • It's definitely worth the money savings!!!! You can also pay people to clean it for you and I bet it would still be cheaper! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018