October 2018 Moms

Best double stroller for toddler and newborn?

Hey ladies! I'm due in October and will have a 3 1/2 year old by then too. Does anyone have any suggestions for a double stroller? 

Re: Best double stroller for toddler and newborn?

• Hey @coroark14, don't want to hijack your thread so feel free to decline, but any interest in broadening the thread scope to overall stroller recommendations? Would selfishly love your thoughts as a STM on a single stroller :)
  • I was gonna come in here and say the same as @chopchop25.

I was looking at the UppaBaby Vista though (single that converts beautifully to a double)...
  • Loading the player...
  • A 3.5 yr old and a newborn is tough. You'll want a stroller with a high weight limit. I'd probably go with a bob duallie. They aren't great for newborns, but once baby hits 6 months it would be perfect. 

Many tandem stroller will be a bit tough for such a big age range. My kids are only 23 mos apart and I stopped using the city select. The big kid has to be on top or it's hard to steer, the BOB handles like an absolute champ. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited March 2018
    @kiwi2628 the uppababy vista is spectacular. That’s my go-to running errands stroller. Wonderful for the suburbs, but a little big, so try putting it in your trunk before you buy. It’s also not a great neighborhood stroller if you have a lot of potholes or bumpy surfaces like we do. It handles really well on smooth concrete etc but isn’t great for tougher terrain. We use our bob for around the neighborhood. In my experience, double strollers that place the kids side to side (like the double bob) are a recipe for disaster though. When I can I pull the girls in a wagon rather than use that bc when they’re side to side they slap each other, steal each others’ toys, etc.

For a single stroller @chopchop25 the bob is unbeatable. Awesome on all surfaces, handles like a dream, quick and easy to throw in the trunk.

eta the uppababy vista can also hold 3 kids if you get the skateboard attachment
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We were looking at the Chicco Activ3 jogging stroller today. We like to walk the neighborhood and camp, so I want something a bit better for rougher terrain. Also the handle bar raises so it's more comfortable for my tall hubby.

• Twin mom here.  The most recommended stroller I see by twin moms is the City Mini Double (GT or regular depending on your budget, what you can find used, and how you will use it).  It is a great side-by-side, with a higher weight limit (I think 50lbs/child) and fits through all wheelchair accessible doors.  It has adapters that you can buy to put 1 infant car seat on it.  The seats are deep enough that my kids could barely reach each other & they couldn’t see each other (which my have cut down on attempts to fight - out of sight, out of mind?   Mine never fought in the stroller).  It is super easy to fold and the wheels are big enough that you don’t have to pay attention to every bump walking along on a sidewalk.  I also took it across dirt parking lots and grass with no problems. The GT has bigger wheels that are supposed to be even better, but I never had any issues with the regular.  

I love it so much that I am considering getting the single version for this baby.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hope my son can walk at 12 months when the baby is born cause I'm gonna die if I have 2 babies that cant walk. I guess I'm gonna carry one and let the other walk but I'm not sure if the stroller is better I have no idea. 
  • edited March 2018
    I hope my son can walk at 12 months when the baby is born cause I'm gonna die if I have 2 babies that cant walk. I guess I'm gonna carry one and let the other walk but I'm not sure if the stroller is better I have no idea. 
    We used our stroller for our twins until around 3 or so. They were walking well before 12 months, but being so young, they were soooo slow and it would have taken forever to get anywhere if they had to walk all the time.  If you don’t want a double stroller, maybe look into babywearing or toddler carriers.

Edit - I may have misread that the first time.  Are you trying to go without a stroller at all? If so, the toddler carrier strapped on your back while carrying the baby could work.
  • I’ll have a two year old and a newborn and we are going to go with the Mountain Buggy Duet. We have he Uppa Baby Cruz and the Vista is entirely too massive for our city lifestyle. The Cruz is a monster I can’t imagine lugging the Vista around...same for the Bob! 
  • So DS will be one month shy of 3 when the new baby arrives. We don’t use the stroller a lot. Is it even worth it to buy a double? We have a single that goes with our infant carrier and an umbrella stroller. 
  • My mom had a "sit and stand" that she used a lot with my younger siblings. They are almost exactly 2 years apart.
  • The hooch caboose ultralight graphite is pretty great for that age gap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When our second was born, our first was 3.5. We didn't start out with a double stroller, but quickly found we wanted one. I love our Graco Ready2Grow! It is perfect with so many options. For the most part, we use the front seat and then ODD sits in the sit/stand part. Now that ODD will be close to 6 or 6 when the weather is nice enough to need it for new LO, she'll walk and we'll use two seats in some sort of combination. We also have a Graco infant seat, so it's nice that it will click into either the front or back position as we want it to.
    https://www.gracobaby.com/en-US/ready2grow<sup>-trade;<-sup>-stroller

• I have the uppababy Vista because I knew I wanted kids close in age. I barely use it. It is soooooo heavy. I have the 2016 model. My son will be 2.5 yo and he walks and runs but he wanders off alot so we will probably need a double stroller. We honestly have been using our umbrella stroller (gb qbit plus and macleran techno xt)  more because of the weight of the uppababy Vista. 
    I heard the Zoe xl2 was an amazing double stroller. Alot of my friends have that especially my California friends who go to theme parks and zoos almost every weekend. 
    I live in Michigan now so I don't really go places that need strollers as much so we just let him run or we carry him.
  • Twin mom here.  The most recommended stroller I see by twin moms is the City Mini Double (GT or regular depending on your budget, what you can find used, and how you will use it).  It is a great side-by-side, with a higher weight limit (I think 50lbs/child) and fits through all wheelchair accessible doors.  It has adapters that you can buy to put 1 infant car seat on it.  The seats are deep enough that my kids could barely reach each other & they couldn’t see each other (which my have cut down on attempts to fight - out of sight, out of mind?   Mine never fought in the stroller).  It is super easy to fold and the wheels are big enough that you don’t have to pay attention to every bump walking along on a sidewalk.  I also took it across dirt parking lots and grass with no problems. The GT has bigger wheels that are supposed to be even better, but I never had any issues with the regular.  

I love it so much that I am considering getting the single version for this baby.
    I absolutely LOVE my city mini. We originally had a Baby trend stroller that came with the infant car seat and learned very quickly it wasn't gonna work for us (waste of $200+), it was wayyy too heavy, hard to maneuver and huge.We travel a lot and it just wasn't conducive to our lifestyle. We got the city mini when DD was 5 months old and never looked back. She loves, it reclines really well, and it's been with us everywhere (planes, Disney , you name it). We're probably gonna get the double (not select, the side by side) this time around just because we know what works and I don't know that I'll find something I like better. 
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I bought an uppababy vista and we LOVE it!!!! Totally worth the money. You can accommodate up to three children with the rumble seat and the boogyboard attachments. The stroller folds smaller then what I had before and fits great in both our car and minivan. Stroller is light and handles well even with two kids. I don’t have a jogger, so I even run with my vista. 
  • We have the city elite single and love it, and will probably get the double.  (Full disclosure, my husband is a product designer for them, so I am totally biased). I will say this - my son hated the stroller for the 6 months and would only be worn for walks, and now at almost two he hates it again because he doesn’t want to be strapped in.  He is a finicky dude, and our Tula has gotten more use than our stroller.

I absolutely LOVE my city mini. We originally had a Baby trend stroller that came with the infant car seat and learned very quickly it wasn't gonna work for us (waste of $200+), it was wayyy too heavy, hard to maneuver and huge.We travel a lot and it just wasn't conducive to our lifestyle. We got the city mini when DD was 5 months old and never looked back. She loves, it reclines really well, and it's been with us everywhere (planes, Disney , you name it). We're probably gonna get the double (not select, the side by side) this time around just because we know what works and I don't know that I'll find something I like better. 
    You’ll love the double too! It is so easy to push & steer. I hated trying to get our tandem to turn because it was so long and heavy.  I can turn the city mini with one hand!
  • @purplegoldfish2 That's what I wanna hear! Is it as easy to close/lightweight? I know the storage is going to be an issue, because the single is small but I feel like in the grand scheme of things it's not a deal breaker. And they're expensive but again, if that bad boy lasts me two years it's worth the money I spent. 
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited March 2018
    @mrsmartinez16. I never had a single, so I can’t say for sure how it compares, but I’ve heard the single can be closed with 1 hand and, while it is possible to do it 1 handed with the double, 2 hands is much easier. I guess the way the double closes would be like closing 2 singles attached to each other if that makes sense - one hand in each seat.  

It’s pretty light, but again, double the stroller, so probably not as light as the single (although I wouldn’t guess double the weight either).  I could still carry it around folded with 1 hand.  The width of it is more limiting in that aspect than weight.

Storage is city mini storage.  They seem to have tried to make improvements to the storage area.  My 2011 (2010? I don’t remember) had a straight bar across the back making it hard to get things in and out of the bottom basket, but friends that had newer models had a curved bar there so they had an easier time getting things in and out. Not a lot easier, but they are making an effort & I haven’t kept up on the changes, so it may be even better now.  You’ll get an “extra” pocket on the seats too since you have an extra seat.

Edit to add - I did fit a Vera Bradley diaper bag in the bottom of my double, with some other stuff.  Not a huge bag and not a huge storage area, especially compared to other strollers, but it isn’t like it won’t hold anything.
  • Oh man, love these strollers... don't love the prices. New car/house/baby means I'm pinching pennies right now. I was planning to go cheap since I don't use my single stroller all that often. :#

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• We used a summit x3, which is the jogging stroller version of a city mini.

I wanted to be able to run, but also, we live right on the beach and go there often, and the summit can roll on the sand where our city mini single definitely could not.

Folding the stroller was set up very similar to the city mini double and was relatively easy, but you do need two hands.  And they're just heavy.

Anyway, I love our summit and we beat the crap out of that thing, but unless you're running/going on the beach, I think a city mini would be great - it's cheaper and I believe you can get a car seat adaptor.  The summit you cannot, and I had this huge baby bassinet attached and it was a PITA.

image        image

• Has anyone tried the J is for Jeep brand? My mom and husband both had Jeep strollers for their babies, but that was 5-8 years ago. They've changed the brand and somewhat the stroller. They loved theirs, but the reviews now are kinda mixed.
  • @sammierose464 That's the brand I was looking at for a double. I heard good things from a friend, but I hate to go off just one review....

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• I’m over thinking double strollers. But for our single stroller, I did no research. Just went to BabiesRUs and played with them all. Pushed them around. Folded and unfolded. Clicked the car seats on and off. Ended up picking a Graco one. I know it’s a low end stroller, but we’ve had zero issues with. Doesn’t fold super small, but we have plenty of trunk space. Folds easy. Has a snack try and parent tray. Big basket under. And it was cheap. Ended up ordering it on amazon for a better deal. 
  • Has anyone tried the J is for Jeep brand? My mom and husband both had Jeep strollers for their babies, but that was 5-8 years ago. They've changed the brand and somewhat the stroller. They loved theirs, but the reviews now are kinda mixed.
    I’ve seen it recommended in my twin mom group somewhat recently.  I don’t have any personal experience with it.
  • I have the uppa baby Vista and love it! It is a bit bulky to put in car but we manage. I recently got the rumble seat for #2 and we also have the piggyback board. I got mine second hand for $400 which was awesome. They run like $1500 brand new for all attachments and everything. Ugh. Definitely recommend second hand, these strollers last pretty great. 
  • With a 3.5 yr old I wouldbt Get a double stroller. I have A 4 year old and the amount I use My stroller is so minimal. I would get a single with an onboard. I had The uppa baby Cruz and loved it, lighter than the vista and still can add the on board 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got a double (joovy cabose ultra light too) which had two seats and then converted to a sit and stand.  In the beginning I'd use the two seats when the kids were 2 & 3.  Then once they could walk for ~4 hours I stopped taking out the stroller and just let them walk.  So we'd use the stroller maybe twice a year (more for containment).  Zoo trips I just go for as long as they can walk and then we are out of there.  We went to Disney in Feb and I did rent a double stroller because those were long days and I expected naps in them but we use a double stroller so sparingly I won't use one for my 3yo and newborn, instead just get a single.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Now that I'm thinking of it the new joovy qool is pretty awesome. It can be a suped up sit and stand which could be great for that age range. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • FWIW, I got my Graco Ready2Grow (double/sit and stand) for $80 through FB market place or one of the BST groups. New, it's $200. It was in like new condition. I checked frequently and set keyword notifications since that's the stroller I knew I wanted. With warmer weather hopefully around the corner (unless you live a year round warm place), I imagine people will start getting out their strollers they no longer need and putting them up for sale.
  • I’m so disappointed Babies R Us is closings. Where am I going to play with strollers?
  • Do you have a buybuy baby near you?
  • BuybuyBaby, Target, or if you have any smaller local stores, they may have some.  One of the baby & kid furniture stores around here also had strollers.
  • Not close, maybe an hour or so. :-( I went once when I was pregnant with DS it was amazing!
  • Buy Buy Baby terrifies me.  It is overwhelming- like all the baby stuff is going to close me into a tiny clothing cocoon or something.  I imagine I’ll be fine after I find my way around, but I’m pretty sure it is designed to make you think you want allllllll the things.  

That said- someone told me that they will let you actually install car seats before buying them, and I’m looking forward to having stroller races around the store with Guncle.  (Hopefully, they don’t throw us out for that!)
  • @knottieamusements they do let you install the seats.  It’s a great place to test them and they had more seats available to try than our local babies r us did.  Not sure if you’ll get kicked out for stroller races, but now you have to let us know what happens.
  • I don't think I've ever been in a Buy Buy Baby. There's one somewhat close to work, but not in an area I ever go to. The other is in a very populated area I try and avoid...neither close to home.
  • chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited March 2018
    So all of these registries list a travel system, stroller, car seat base, car seat base, and convertible car seat. This definitely seems redundant - so which of these do I actually need? 
  • So all of these registries list a travel system, stroller, car seat base, car seat base, and convertible car seat. This definitely seems redundant - so which of these do I actually need? 
    A travel system usually comes with an infant (bucket seat) and stroller.  Usually the car base too.  If you have multiple vehicles you'll want another car seat base or you can always do the install with the seatbelt, but the base is definitely easier to use.

An infant seat only rear faces and has a weight/height limit.  Once your kid outgrows that you will switch to a convertible car seat.  That they will use until the rear facing limits are met, then flip around to forward facing.  My 4yo is still in a convertible 5pt harness convertible car seat.  His car seat also converts to booster but it'll be a while before we use that.  So you'll use the convertible seat the most probably.

Some people (I've never met anyone) forgo the infant seat and use only the convertible but you'd have to take the infant out of the car seat and into a stroller every time whereas the infant seat you remove the entire seat and place into stroller.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers