Gestational Diabetes Testing Thread

Re: Gestational Diabetes Testing Thread

• @zande2016 thanks!  sh*t.
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • I asked if I could leave, DH came with me and stayed the whole time and he was so freaking hyper! We had a doc appointment and he said he missed me while I was in Texas so he wanted to hang out. Anyway the lab guy said nope hang out there and you can have just a sip of water not more. Doctor said he should have the results tomorrow already.
  • Loading the player...
  • @WorkinWeezel no problem, and I would guess they would only be concerned about it if you just barely pass - like if you're really close to the cut off. Good luck 
  • Thanks @zande2016.  I had to take off for this crap so I really don't want to have to take another day.  I'm hoping to get through the rest of the school year without another sick day!
    M/C 6/2012
    M/C 12/12/2016

• UPDATE: I failed :( waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!  I'm grateful that this is my biggest concern at this point, but oy.  My fasting, 2 hour and 3 hour numbers were super low, but my 1 hour number was high by 5 points.  Ugh.  
    M/C 6/2012
    M/C 12/12/2016

paytonpedrozehcnasella
  • @WorkinWeezel I'm sorry :frowning: welcome
    to the (not so fun) club that nobody really wants to be in. It's not so bad once you get used to it all. 
    WorkinWeezelzehcnasella
  • I'm sorry @WorkinWeezel! Lots of support in this group thankfully.

I got a message saying I passed but I'm anemic. I am a carrier for beta thalassemia so I'm always showing as anemic, however my doctor wants me to take iron. I hear it can worsen the constipation so I'm more of the idea of upping my cheeseburger intake? LOL
    WorkinWeezelamdftwstlmegs
  • Well I just found out I failed my 1 hr test by 10 pts!  :s
  • @acunamatada meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh I'm sorry!
    M/C 6/2012
    M/C 12/12/2016

acunamatada
  • Sorry @WorkinWeezel and @acunamatada! Hang in there, and hope you get all the support you need. 

Thanks to to everyone for their helpful tips. I test in a couple of weeks, am thinking I will have a hard-boiled egg and water beforehand. 
  • @kissableviv I took the Gaia PlantForce Liquid Iron and I had little constipation issues on it. The Floradix wasn't as gentle it seemed, I didn't see a difference from the pills. I think you are a smoothie person...I know beets have a solid amount of iron so if you could incorporate them into smoothies or dinners that might help too (along with cheeseburgers!).
  • Blegh! That was the nastiest flat orange soda I’ve ever had! I hope I pass this thing because I never want to do that again this pregnancy. I’m literally buzzing from all the sugar! I don’t like things that are too sweet. Took all my power not to throw up.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 34
    Started Dating: November 2011
    Married: August 2015
    DS: 8/2/18
    BFP: August 2020

• When did everyone hear back with your 1 hr glucose test results? I took mine on Friday morning, haven't heard anything yet. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had mine yesterday! Wasn't too bad but crossing my fingers I passed! I cut way back on my sugar for a few days before and had high protein right before.

@runsomewhere They told me 24-48 hours. 
    nimmle
  • @runsomewhere my doc emailed me the next day towards end of day
  • @bradybunchmom89 and @kissableviv thanks ladies, I think I'll give my doctor a call to see if the results are in.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just had my flat orange soda this morning for the one-hour test! Wish it were cold, but I was able to get it down. Felt a little sick afterward, but thankfully didn't throw up. Doc says I should find out by the end of tomorrow. Hoping it's a good result!
    millpenimmle
  • So I just called my doctor's office to ask if my results were in. The receptionist checked and said the results just came in but that she cannot interpret them and she will have the doctor review them then call me back. Cue freak out! 

So now I'm thinking about the sugar I ate the day before and feeling like if the response was "you passed" she would have just told me. Ugh.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere legally the nurse or receptionist cannot give you results, they have to be given to you by a doctor so try not to freak out too much! I have parents ask me all the time if their kids bloodwork is back yet and all I can tell them is, “Yes, the doctor will come discuss it with you”, even if everything is totally normal. It’s a liability thing. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @runsomewhere I bet she just couldn't give them to you but that was probably not the best response lol. I must say as much as I hate the system I am glad my doc has an app so he always messages me and sends me results there before I even get the notification from Quest Diagnostics. Keep us posted!
  • @comealongponds thanks for sharing that. I figured that she could tell me since it was a simple you passed/you failed response. It makes sense though. 

@kissableviv I wish my doctor used an app like like that. My network has a websie where you can view all your test results, Rxs, etc. but there are never updates from my OB's office. He's even mentioned before that he feels like often posting results does more harm than good because people try to google to interpret results and call the office in a panic. 

Guess I'll just sit and wait for the call back. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere totally agreed, he sends a message as well with the results, and Quest only releases them if he gives the ok, so it's pretty great! If anything is off or the tests are major like the nipt he usually calls. He called me after my first blood panel because he identified my blood disease which I had forgotten to mention...oops!
  • Great news @runsomewhere, and just when you needed it!
    runsomewhere
  • Thinking of all the mama's who didn't pass the 1 hr or 3 hr glucose tests. Just got the call back that I'm all in the clear for no GD or anemia thank goodness!!
    morethanamamasm05-2nimmleacunamatada
  • Took the test Wednesday Morning and got the results this afternoon. All clear. Thinking of all you other ladies!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 34
    Started Dating: November 2011
    Married: August 2015
    DS: 8/2/18
    BFP: August 2020

SmashJamSarafussacunamatada
  • Took the test yesterday and passed 
    hope all those waiting get good news. Thinking of those who didn't get such great news.
    acunamatadanimmle
  • zombiehoohaazombiehoohaa member
    edited April 2018
    I've been testing my sugar for the past week. When I spoke to my ob today and went over my levels, she said that although she doesn't think I have gestational diabetes, she does think I may be borderline. She gave me the option to keep testing for another week or just take the gd class and start following the gd diet as well as checking my levels throughout the day for the remainder of the pregnancy. I've opted to keep testing for another week and reevaluate with her at my appointment next Wednesday. 

Edit: words

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @zombiehoohaa what a pain! Something that confuses me about GD testing...Is GD something that if you don't catch with the test during this window you won't develop? Or can it develop later in pregnancy even if you are borderline now? Like, would a test at 35 weeks show you had developed GD? 

I can't remember why you aren't allowed to drink the drink. 
  • @smashjam My OB told me the test catches 90% of GD cases. I don't know if the other 10% develop later or they somehow pass the test with it? Maybe that is why "borderline" is often treated as GD. There is no risk to treating it with diet if you don't have it, but there could be a risk with untreated GD.
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
    SmashJam
  • I believe they test around 28 weeks because that is when your hormones typically spike, and it's the hormones that make it so difficult for you to process insulin. So if you don't have it at 28 weeks, it's less likely to develop later on. Though I'm sure there are cases where it develops later and is never caught. I was diagnosed at 18 weeks and suddenly since hitting 3rd trimester my levels are slowly starting to trend upwards, so I am sure that has to do with the hormone spike. 
  •   I've been horrible with posting lately (had to delete the bump app and work has been crazy, but I've been lurking like a creeper) Hopefully I'll have time to post more now!!

Failed my 1 hour test by 48 points (I went after work and forgot that I had pasta with me for lunch so I'm blaming that) took my 3 hour last week and the doctor called this morning, I had one abnormal blood draw out of 4 and I have to retake the 3 hour next week! :(

• @owl_momma which draw did you fail? I think you have to fail 2 to be diagnosed if I remember correctly, I am surprised they're making you redo it. Unless maybe it was the fasting that you failed...not sure. Did they give you the option to just follow the GD diet instead of redoing it? I'd hate to have to take that test twice. 
  • @zande2016 he didn't tell me which one, I will see him next Tuesday for my appointment and to pick up the lab slip so I'll ask then. He said that he could have me meet with a dietician or learn how to take my blood sugar but he would rather I retake the test before he does all that...yay :( But at least I'll get some quiet time to read.
  • @SmashJam I've had gastric sleeve surgery, so taking the  normal gd test would cause me to have something called dumping syndrome. My body is extremely sensitive to sugar now. So taking the drink will cause me to sweat, be lethargic, spike my blood sugar through the roof, and have severe diarrhea, to say the least. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

SmashJam
  • Catching up on this thread. Sorry to hear those who did pass and congrats to those who did. Had my test yesterday and still waiting for results. Doctor hasn’t posted results in the portal either. I got the fruit punch that tasted like super sugary gaterade which was better than the lemon i got with DS. Fx i get results tomorrow or I’ll be calling.
    Sarafusszombiehoohaa
  • Well I’m still waiting for results. I called and the nurse said let me do some research but it can take up to 3 days sometimes. I’ll be 4 days waiting tomorrow morning. Hope they didn’t lose it! 
  • I barely made it to the blood lab this morning on time...actually I was late but I lied and told them I drank the bottle 5 minutes later than I did. Yeah...I was late because I drove all the way to the lab with plenty of time, realized I forgot the lab requisition, and drove all the way back home and back to the lab again...making me 5 min late instead of 20-15 minutes early. They still took my blood (since I lied) and I am assuming I will pass. This might qualify as my fffc.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
    SmashJammillpezombiehoohaaacunamatada
  • I took my 3 hour today (I requested to skip the 1 hour since I failed it earlier in the pregnancy and later passed the 3 hour). I didn’t want to waste an extra day off work. Lol. My ob appointment was this afternoon and she said she should have the results tomorrow. 
    zombiehoohaa