June 2018 Moms
Options

Symptoms {March edition}

Let us talk about our ailments as we get closer to the 3rd trimester!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Symptoms {March edition}

• Options
    This one is gross, fair warning- 
    Hemorrhoids. Ughhh.
    Anyone else dealing with them? I got them with my first and they never went away. I was going to get them surgically removed last year, but ended up pregnant right around that time so I decided to wait. Now I'm miserable. 
    Anyone found relief? 
  • Options
    @May14th2011 Oh no! I'm sorry you have to deal with them! I had them post-partum with DS and ended up using prescribed suppositories. It was not pleasant, but it worked. If you end up using them, don't wear underwear you plan on keeping. Just saying...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @May14th2011 Yep.  I'm pretty sure that's what it is anyways.  It's super uncomfortable during bm, sometimes painful and every now and then I bleed a little too.  I use wet wipes if and when I can go. The constipation is real with this pregnancy.  I started eating branflakes every morning with an activia yogurt and I've started take colace everyday.  Every now and then I'll sit in an epsom salt bath (which sucks because I can't have the water nearly as hot as I'd like lol).  It's a little better than it was.  I really really need to increase my water intake.  I don't know why it's so hard for me but I know it will help a lot more.  

AFM I've had it for few weeks now but I have this awful looking varicose vein running from the front of my thigh down through the outside of my knee.  Sometimes it's light and sometimes it's super noticeable.  It was purely cosmetic at first but now I can actually feel it sometimes.  I knew I was predisposed to them as my mom had one with me, plus my entire working life I stood all day (which isn't really relevant now but maybe a contributing factor?).  My mom got hers surgically removed some time after pregnancy so I'm wondering if mine will stick around too.  Doc said to wear compression stockings, which I did on my flight a few weeks ago but I really don't want to have to wear them everyday.  Anyone else have legs bedazzled by these lovely veins?
  • Options
    @becca_123 Sounds about right. Sorry to you, too. Hope they go away soon! 
    As for the varicose veins, I haven't had them, but my SIL did and had to wear compression socks nearly every day. I'm sorry you have to deal with these, too.
  • Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    @becca_123 I don't have the varicose veins, but I'm noticing my feet are swollen pretty much everyday- so I'm gonna have to break out my compression socks too.  I know getting pedicures helps with the swelling (massage aids circulation) do you think a pedicure or pre-natal massage might help with the varicose vein?  

For the hemorrohoids- I do not have them (knock on wood), but DH does.  He uses Preparation H suppositories and their wipes too.  He claims the wipes really help.  I also think he likes when I get this big during my pregnancy so everyone will assume the preparation h stuff is for me and not him- meanwhile the target or cvs cashier doesn't care at all.  

AFM- Third Trimester symptoms seem to be appearing sooner this time. I am constantly winded- and just feel more crowded in my rib cage.  During a meeting yesterday he was positioned so oddly in what felt like my ribs- no matter what I did I couldn't get comfortable.  Hands and feet are swelling up- and I'm down to just rocking my wedding band which I hope I can keep on throughout March.  My bump feels like it could use some extra support, so my need to look into Kensi tape or a band for the next 3 months.  And of course, heartburn is just a part of my daily life now.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    Yesterday I noticed that my ankles were swollen. Like enough to look hilarious. And it's pitting. I'm trying to prop my feet up when I can at work but I am not looking forward to 15ish more weeks of my feet and ankles getting more and more swollen. I did check my BP and it was fine, so it's not that....it's just part of the glamour of pregnancy. 

As for the hemorrhoids, I am fine now. But the first month of knowing I was pregnant, I couldn't poop at all hardly, and I felt like I split my b-hole open. I blame the iron in my prenatals, and switched to gummies (without iron....I am probably going to have to get back on iron soon, boo). Now things seem to be healed, and I'm hoping I can keep things happy back there for as long as possible. I hear the first post-partum poo is hell. Yay.  
  • Options
    @May14th2011 Ugh, yes! I've never had them before. It freaked me out a little when I wiped and felt them (I have two..I guess because two babies? Yay?). I'm using the Preparation H wipes. It seems to help with the pain and is soothing.

I didn't realize these were considered 3rd tri symptoms, but I've been dealing with shortness of breath and swollen feet/legs for the past couple of weeks. I suppose it makes sense because with two of them weighing in at about a pound and a half each, it is like I have a beginning 3rd tri baby in there, right?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jsl82 Thanks for the tips.  If i do wear the stockings regularly I'm going to cut the toes off because the pressure from them on my big toe was unbearable.  As for pedicures (FFTC?) I've never actually had one and probably never will as I don't like people touching my feet but maybe I'll look into the massage and research the benefits in regards to varicose veins.  
  • Options
    fyi, at www.procompression.com they have two deals....3 pairs for $60 (normally $50 each) code is 3PAIRS, other deal is buy 2 get 3 free with code 3PLUS
  • Options
    The hemorrhoid stuff is hard. I've dealt with them since early 20s. Right after DS (and I never even pushed once!) I got the worst one I've ever experienced. I literally couldn't even roll over. And you don't realize how often that area 'clenches/unclenches' lol. I was almost in tears and going to the ER. Prep h etc weren't working. But i noticed wiping was making it worse, so I started using wet wipes... and never stopped. I haven't had a major flair up since. Sometimes it's just uncomfortable for alittle while after. So I suggest wet wipes and sitting in alittle warm water when it hurts.

I'm noticing more constipation problems the past few wks. So I've started some colace here and there in hopes to avoid any big hem flaires!!

me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    @becca_123 I am cooovered in huge visible veins but none are puffy. Chest, face, legs — everywhere. 

Also do on the hemorrhoid train. But I am not constipated at all. I get them from peeing (sometimes I have to press to get the urine to start, sigh) or just walking around. It’s so dumb. They don’t bleed thankfully, but they’re so annoying. 
  • Options
    @becca_123 I have a giant, gnarly varicose vein on my left leg. It starts below my knee and goes almost up to my hip. I've had it since before my first pregnancy (mix of genetics, carrying extra weight, working on my feet 40 hours a week). It got really painful with my first but hasn't bothered me much this time (maybe because I'm not standing as much?). The only thing that brought me relief were the stupid compression hose. It was a workout just getting the dang things on and off but they really helped. Sorry you're dealing with them - I feel your pain!
  • Options
    @katelynrae86 Did the compression hose bring you relief of just the pain or did it actually help them go down too?  Only asking because I wouldn't say they're painful, just ugly.
  • Options
    Unfortunately they only helped with the pain, not the appearance :( Fingers crossed yours will go away after pregnancy. As far as I can tell, the only way to remove them if they do hang around is to surgically strip them (oooouch!!) or get laser treatments. 
  • Options
    I went and bought baby wipes to keep specifically in the bathroom, and they already seem to be helping. 
    I wasn't constipated until this last week. And I forgot to ask the Dr for softeners so I'll have to call and ask tomorrow. (That's how my brain is lol) 
  • Options
    @May14th2011 @becca_123 +1 to constipation. I had it for a minute in first tri, and then things went back to super regular for me. But in the past week it’s definitely returned. With DD1 I was on colace daily starting at 18 weeks (and twice daily after I had to supplement iron at 28 weeks) so I guess I’m grateful I’ve done alright for this long. And that I have a large, non expired bottle of said colace at my disposal.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been using miralax daily since about 14 weeks. My OB said it's completely safe for the whole pregnancy and has helped. May be worth asking because Colace did nothing for me!
  • Options
    Anyone else feel like it's harder to cross your legs? I usually sit when them crossed at my desk which I'm sure is not good for my posture but lately it's harder to get my leg to stay. I'm not sure if it's because my bump is getting bigger and in the way or if it's because my hips have changed. It's quite annoying. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @krashke Yes! I thought it was because my thighs are getting bigger. But it makes sense that our hips are changing positions too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @krashke it’s not harder for me, but I’m not supposed to do it with SPD stuff apparently so that’s infinitely frustrating. What I CANT do anymore is pull my feet up on the seat with my butt while I’m sitting (like thighs then pressed against my chest) which is how I used to sit on planes, in cars, in office chairs, etc. I keep trying, stupidly, and failing. 
  • Options
    @krashke yes! I can't pinpoint what the dang issue is, but they don't cross right anymore. 

So, I thought I knew what sciatic nerve issues were. My left leg has had numbness down the outside  for many months off and on. I have a spot in my butt cheek that hurts if you push it hard. HA!  That was nothing.

Yesterday I was just standing there when I get this jolt of paralyzing pain in my right butt/hip that shoots down the back inside of my leg. Like lightning down to my toes. I just grabbed onto the desk and was like oh shit, omg, ow ow. Scared the crap outta my coworker. It would pass but if I'd step just right for the rest of the night, it would come back. Now my butt and hip are still sore. 

Off to look up stretches and stop being lazy and actually call the chiropractor. 
  • Options
    @krashke yes! It is so frustrating for someone who constantly sits with legs crossed! I just assumed it was my bump getting in the way. But I do a lot of yoga and have upped my hip opening stretches in prep for birth so that might be a factor too. 

@amys614 I have intense sciatic pain too but that sounds awful! I’ve never had it jolt like that! There are a lot of stretches you can do specifically for the sciatic area and also rolling your butt around on something, I’ve used a rolling pin before, really helps. Find that spot where it hurts so good and just roll it out! 
  • Options
    I don't sit cross legged much. But i would normally sit Indian style (or cross cross applesauce lol) on my work chair. I still can but my feet fall asleep not long after which makes it not as comfy. Kinda annoying. 
  • Options
    Had some lovely Braxton Hicks while grocery shopping this morning. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @2589 I think I had them too the other day, but still unsure what they'll feel like. I also asked my OB what contractions feel like because she asked if I have had any.... lol like she can tell me what they feel like! Anyways, she told me I'll know when I have them so we'll see.
  • Options
    @2589 I had them in bed the other night... how pleasant lol 

@stephcat421 mine felt like mild menstrual cramps 
  • Options
    @stephcat421 with my first I could never for sure say if I had them or not! It was more like a general tightness of my whole abdomen- usually late afternoons at work when I had been on my feet all day- but nothing that screamed “contraction!” at me. Looking back now I’m sure that’s what it was. Today it was that tight feeling again but definitely noted some squeezing/pulsating quality with it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When I had my anatomy scan there was this weird bulge so I asked if it was my placenta and she said it was actually a contraction. I didn't feel it at all. She said that your uterus is always contracting and relaxing slightly but when your bigger/closer to delivery you can feel it more. I would also assume that it get more painful as they get stronger closer to delivery. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @krashke yeah like I wouldn’t say it hurts technically but is definitely uncomfortable and makes me want to sit down for a few minutes. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @krashke I had the same convo at my anatomy scan! I was like wtf is that bulge and why is it in my baby's face? she said it was my placenta. but when I asked why it looked so big (I still had major pgal brain going on and was worried), she said its cause of a contraction. I had no idea!

• Options
    +1 on the BH feeling like general belly tightness.  Thats how they felt last time fpr me too. I definitely knew for sure when real contractions started though with dd.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    +1 for Braxton hicks...and holy heartburn batman, I thought I had it bad with DD, but that was child's play compared to this go round 
  • Options
    Yah I get the tightening/BH in the evenings. Even though I'm a STM, I don't really know what the real ones feel like for sure. I remember having this intense menstral cramp one day. Didn't know what it was. Then for like an hour during my ridiculously long induction i had some similar intense menstral cramps... so i was like whoa, i musta had a contraction that day! so in my head I assume that's what they'll feel like? And this tightening is just BH?
  • Options
    lisa2589lisa2589 member
    edited March 2018
    @catlady1215 to me, my real contractions felt like omg I’ve gotta sh*t cramps  :D. My first one sent me running to the bathroom because I seriously thought that’s what was happening. Then as I sat down I realized what was really going on. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think women can feel the contraction pain in different parts of their body. My 1st labor felt like bad gas pains at first and then intensified as pain in my pelvis/rectum. I actually didn't realize they were contractions. I googled my symptoms and became convinced I had SPD. I did not... DS was born that day.

My second started as menstrual cramps and kind of stayed in that area. (The bad contractions felt like they were happening in where I imagine my cervix is.)

I have a friend who had the contraction pain in her upper back.

I still don't ever notice BH. I assume I'm getting them?

• Options
    @2589 The nurse teaching our birth class said the best way she could describe contractions was "crampy diarrhea" so you were spot on.
  • Options
    With DS, I never had BHs. Even when labor started, I wasn’t sure that what I was feeling were contractions. I had them in my back (yay sunny side up baby) the entire time and they rarely impacted my front. They wrapped around a bit but never felt like menstrul cramps. I was at the office when they started and had to ask my office manager what contractions felt like. 

Now ive had BHs since week 14. Dehydration makes them worse. I’ve noticed that they’ve been better since I upped my water intake. 
  • Options
    @llamamama14 omg now I'm stressed at the thought of "crampy diarrhea". 

Is anyone else struggling to control their appetite? For the past week I feel like I'm a bottomless pit. I literally ate 2 full bowls of cereal for breakfast this morning and could easily eat more. I don't want to let this get out of control but omg I feel starved. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Options
    @Amphibious22 I feel like I'm always hungry. It's frustrating. Yesterday I ate two oranges and an apple with peanut butter between meals trying to feel satisfied. I was actually just sitting here researching protein powders when I read this because I feel like it's been helping me not feel so run down and hungry. Vega powder is a favorite but it's a little pricey. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Amphibious22 yes! I am hungry all.day.long. I just try to keep it as healthy as possible and eats lots of protein.