July 2018 Moms
Options

Monday B!tchfest 2/26

13»

Re: Monday B!tchfest 2/26

• Options
    The elderberry syrup! Yes! I see that so much, even some moms making their own and selling it. 

I totally believe in natural remedies for the common cold instead of piling on the meds but the flu can be dangerous. While it would be terrifying, I would prefer my kid to have a temporary episode then doe from the flu. 

@coco305 that's too funny! We are going to need updates as these showers unfold. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have elderberry syrup in my fridge that I got for me, but I wouldn't dream of giving it to DD.  First, it doesn't taste good.  Next, if she needs meds, she needs meds!  She was prescribed Tamiflu once when she was under a year old.  That was a huge waste of $150 - she gagged and threw it up, then the doctor told us that she was probably too far into it to be useful any way.  Sigh.

We try not to give too many meds, which her pediatrician is 100% on board with.  So if he tells us we need it, we believe him.  She's also inherited her dad's allergy to antibiotics which is no bueno so allergy testing is on the list to talk to the doctor about at her 2 year check up.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MichelleAG05 don't get me wrong I love the healing properties of plants and just haven't really been ill this year so haven't splurged. But I am getting elderberry bushes for my backyard this year so in a few years I can make my own syrup! $40 for a bag of dried elderberries is too much for me right now!. I did take a shot of fire cider every single day for a few months this winter and credit my lack of congestion issues to that wonderful concoction!
  • Options
    My MIL is all about the homeopathic and some of the stuff actually works (and some doesn't :D ). I'm all about not taking meds at the drop of a hat. However, some of the homeopathic stuff can be dangerous too so always check if you can take it preggo.  She gave me and DH an herbal throat spray for a bad cold we had. It said not to take preggo but DH used it and it really helped. However, with the amount of people/kids (especially perfectly healthy ones) dying of the flu, that is something I would definitely not risk and take what the doctor prescribes.
  • Options
    @SmashJam I've never heard of fire cider!  I bought a 32 oz jar for $20, not a great price but not too bad.  I intended to take it daily to help avoid getting the flu/cold because I'm pregnant and it just hasn't happened.  Knock on wood.  I'm very pro supplementing Western with Eastern medicine.