Options

Weekly Questions w/o 2/11

2»

Re: Weekly Questions w/o 2/11

• Options
    @stothi. And onion tea, too!
  • Options
    I’m torn between “eww!” and “tell me more!” I know onions have antibacterial properties, and I know about garlic tea...but...onion tea??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BusinessWife @ashh2018 I've only tried it with scallions, not regular onions, but it wasn't that bad actually! :)

• Options
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/adirat">adirat</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">@BusinessWife @ashh2018 I've only tried it with scallions, not regular onions, but it wasn't that bad actually! :)</div>
    </blockquote>
    Right!  It's really surprisingly not that bad!  I sweeten mine with honey when I've made it and it's actually surprisingly drinkable + makes for the awesomest NAPS after lol
  • Options
    I have a friend that swears by garlic tea! I personally can do neither. Ew.
  • Options
    Someone explain to me why I'm always congested if garlic and oregano are so great for clearing it! I'm Italian and live on those (just happen to hate onion)!! 
  • Options
    @stothi my only sinus infection ever was not resolved by antibiotics and I ultimately tried a netti pot. The sensation is terrible, but it was the only thing that cleared the infection, and now I swear by it for everything congestion related. 
  • Options
    Be careful using Afrin! I once over-used it (obviously 100% my own stupid fault) and ended up with “rebound congestion”, which lasted months and couldn’t be treated with anything but time. I also have anxiety and I developed an issue where I would have panic attacks when I couldn’t breath through my nose. It was a fabulous few months. So I’m sure you all know better but I always feel the need to warn everyone. 
  • Options
    @ashh2018 I love Afrin. It works soooooooo good. I throw the bottle away in the big trash after day 3 so I'm not tempted to keep going. That way too I'm not tempted to use it every time I get a little stuffy and it has to be pretty bad for me to make the trip to the store. I know it's wasteful but I don't trust myself to keep it in the cupboard.

@Patience7150 I bought a fancy ass face power washer, like a neti pot on crack. It cleaned out the one side of my face so good but the painful infected side-nada. Omg I hate the way it feels. Makes me gag and frequently barf. I've used different neti pot type cleaners over the years and can almost never get the liquid to come out/move through the one side of my nose. I'm thinking there might be an actual structural issue :/ I get a sinus infection bad enough to need antibiotics every couple of years. Throat infection too. In the past they've always responded quickly to the antibiotics so I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll help now. I'm sad I got giant old horse pills though. Normally I get a z-pack and those pills are tiny and you don't have to take many. I have to do a big old horse pill every 12 hours for a week or more. I honestly forgot to check how many days. I'm guessing whatever the z-pack is isn't on the approved for pregnant ladies list :'(
  • Options
    My skin is breaking out, likely due to a combination of hormones and the additional cheese, carbs and sweets I've been consuming  :# What are your go-to remedies (preferably natural) for breakouts?? 
     I use beauty counter’s “balancing oil” on my face at night and I drink lemon water first thing in the morning.. and my face has really improved in last two weeks.
  • Options
    I'm looking to buy a double stroller. My son will be 19 months when this baby is born. I do not jog outdoors and my biggest concern is being able to shop through stores and get through normal doorways with a double. Any advice or recommendations?
  • Options
    @megster0418 everyone around here has the Uppababy Vista which is $$$, but I’ve also seen the City Select Double quite a bit. Basically you want to get an in-line double instead of a side by side. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So growing up overseas, we often had to have rehydration fluid. My mom would make her own with salt and sugar but my dad came up with the idea that chips and soda would do the same thing? :smile: So following that reasoning, could you make a chicken soup with onion, garlic, and oregano and get the same effects? I'd but much more able to eat a soup with a spoon rather than a tea out of cup if it tastes like onion or garlic.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @megster0418 I second @AdmiralKitty on the City Select double. I have one and it’s great for still being able to get through aisles and doorways. It also has decent wheels on it for getting through a bit of snow or rough terrain. Definitely upright vs side by side - I don’t know how those things fit anywhere. 
  • Options
    Wondering if anyone is going to hire a doula? What factored into your decision? Any S+TM have you hired one for past births? How did it go? 
  • Options
    klj0228 said:
    Wondering if anyone is going to hire a doula? What factored into your decision? Any S+TM have you hired one for past births? How did it go? 
    I'm thinking about looking into it. I didn't like last time with my long labor having the nurses constantly switching out. I'd like someone who stays with me the whole time.
  • Options
    This is my first, but I was thinking the same thing. I am birthing at a hospital, but I thought it would be nice to have someone there to support me and allow H to have some breaks especially if it’s a long labor.
  • Options
    megnwingatemegnwingate member
    edited February 2018
    klj0228 said:
    Yes and I hired one last pregnancy and I’ve already hired one this pregnancy. Bonus is that my doula is also a midwife, though she isn’t practicing yet. My husband was offshore at work and wasn’t able to get to the hospital until after the baby was born, and there is that chance again with this pregnancy that he may not be able to make it. So it was nice to have someone there to support me and help me achieve the birth that I wanted.I got it and more! The L&D staff that I had was amazing. 

My first labor was 7 hours. I got the epidural 10 mins before I started pushing. Still kicking my own ass over that. My second labor was 3 hours 44 mins. I walked into L&D was checked and was dilated to a 10. My drive from the hospital was only 30 mins. I’m hoping this labor is quick as well (maybe not as quick as my 2nd). 

Edited to add more deets

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • Options
    @megnwingate omg, I'm jealous! I was in labor for like 45 hours! Your body is amazing. Go you!
  • Options
    @stothi people tell me they hate me al the time. I’m fully anticipating to give birth in my vehicle on my way to the hospital :flushed: I did A LOT of walking, bouncing on an exercise ball, more walking. I think walking had a lot to do with how well both my labors were. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • Options
    @megnwingate well that's not a nice thing for them to say. I don't hate mom's who have fast/easy births. Just wish I could be one! In fairness to my body though, I was induced early due to severe preeclampsia so my poor body really wasn't at all ready to go into labor. Who knows how it would have gone if I'd been able to go into labor naturally?
  • Options
    @stothi I battled one for 2 solid weeks and got so sick of it I finally went to the doctor for meds. Good thing I did as it was turning in to pneumonia! I am on a 7 day antibiotic. Best decision ever. 
  • Options
    ellbeedee said:
    @stothi I battled one for 2 solid weeks and got so sick of it I finally went to the doctor for meds. Good thing I did as it was turning in to pneumonia! I am on a 7 day antibiotic. Best decision ever. 
    I'm on day 2 of antibiotics. I'm in so much freaking pain. I'm so happy that I went in and saw the doc. I do not want to feel like this any longer than I have to.
  • Options
    @stothi I was trying to remember who else was sick with me this week....I think I’m on the better side of my cold now. I’m glad you got the meds and are feeling better now. My OB actually Ok’ed a lot of meds that we’re technically on the “no no” list. I’ve taken half doses of sudafed and it has been life changing (though it did dry my milk up pretty quick, I was prepared for this and had already been weaning DS). He also gave the green light to use of Nyquil and Afrin sparingly. Just a PSA for everyone....don’t suffer, talk to your doc! He said suffering and being miserable isn’t necessary just because you are pregnant. Everything is a risk/benefit analysis. I’m hoping I can avoid the antibiotics but will gladly take them if needed. 

@megnwingate I got the epi one hour before pushing. I was induced and they weren’t giving my breaks between contractions with the pitocin. I went from a 4 to a 10, they turned off the epi and DS was out an hour later! Sometimes I feel like a failure for not going that last hour but other times I remind myself that it probably allowed me to relax enough to fully dilate.  Anyhow, I know with those feelings feel like to almost make it med-free the entire time but not quite. 

@megster0418 I couldn’t stomach the price tag of the City Select but I’ve found the Contours Options Elite as a more affordable in-line double that has a lot of the same functionality (multiple seating options, can be used as a single, albeit kinda bulky). I’m sure it’s not quite as smooth of a ride as the City Select but I did push one around at BRU and it seemed fine to me. It comes with an adapter for many infant seats. It seems to get pretty good reviews, too. It’s going to be a necessity for me with a 17 month old and newborn. I’m going to order one through BBB with a 20% off coupon.