me:35 DH:34
DS: born oct 2012
TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
          BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
          BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
fingers crossed for our rainbow baby

Re: Weekend randoms 2/3-2/4

• Options
    Making this cause i got a random question. 

Anyone actually have success at using baking soda paste to get a splinter out?

ds got one on the bottom of the big toe last night. You can only imagine how trying to get that out went. We had to stop cause my, already short, patience was gone. And i didn't want neighbors calling child protection services on us :D  so I tried the paste last night and just reapplied it now. If this doesn't work, this won't be pretty.
  • Options
    @catlady1215 I think soaking in hot water also works... I can’t remember if we ever used the baking soda trick when I was little. I used to get splinters all the time. Starting around 5 or 6 my parents had a lot more luck letting me get the splinters out myself, but I’m also a person who loves popping blackheads etc so I might be a certain kind of special lol. 

AFM a neighbors smoke alarm beeped alllllllll night. Like the batteries are dead beep? Juuuust loud ebough to be really annoying. Ah the joys of apt living. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sad day! I haven't tried it but have tried to remove a splinter on my 3 year old so I feel your pain. It eventually came out on its own but I worried about infection the whole time.

Good luck!!!
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely woke up with the start of a cold (hopefully not freaking influenza).  Yay.

I caved and used my steroid cream on my hands for my eczema last night because I could not stop scratching my skin.  I feel so much better this morning!!!  The literature I could find discussed cleft palate and IUGR so I hadn't risked it.  I figured moat of the studies were for the inhaled form of the drug and not really topical anyway. Sorry baby boy, sometimes mama needs to take care of herself too.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Can I just rejoice in January being over for a quick second?? The second half of January was just so so so rough. Our apartment building caught fire &  we sat in the parking lot 100%certain we were going to watch everything we own go up in flames. ((Thankfully it's a 24 unit building & the fire started on the opposite end & our unit was completely spared! Everyone got out safely and red cross partnered with the apartment complex to get all the families who were displaced into alternate housing)) Just the stress of that was awful. Two days later, my MIL who struggles with her mental health on a very regular , but never mentioned her current medication stopped working months ago -- until she sent my husband essentially a suicide-text message & promptly turned off her phone. ((She is currently doing so so so much better with inpatient observation and therapy after a med switch, thank goodness!)) Everything finished up on a good note, but my goodness I am just exhausted & now I have a gross cold, that I passed onto my 2 year old.

**end of whining** 
  • Options
    @sabby2 - What cream do you use? I use clobetasol for my dyshidrotic eczema, and everything I read said that there was a very minimal risk of issues on mice/rats, and most of it had to do with egg quality/sperm production/ovulation, and it was if it was applied it to a large portion of their body every day, multiple times a day.
    I never really worried after that while TTGP and now that I'm pregnant because I figure I'm only using it on my hands, and I usually only use it once a day, or twice if it's really bad (thankfully I haven't had a flare since the early days).

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    sabby2sabby2 member
    edited February 2018
    @izza2 it's triamcinolone acetonide ointment.  I've pretty much avoided using it because the studies were pretty questionable and didn't want to risk it.  However I figured using it one time to relieve constant itching and cracking, bleeding skin the benefits outweighed the risk for one time use.  

My hands feel much better and I can probably keep on top of it with my usual lotions and balms now.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Catlady1215 ~ I’ve never heard of the baking soda trick. Let us know how it works so I can add that to the mental bank for future use! Good luck 
  • Options
    @sabby2 I use mometasone furoate ointment for my eczema. Probably twice a day for 2-3 days once a month. My doctor had no problem with that. 

@twelvetwosomeonenew sorry you’ve had to deal with all of that but I’m glad things are on the up and up. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @krashke I absolutely would have bought some too! 
  • Options
    @sabby2 @izza2 @krashke Funny we are all on different ones. My OB said I could use fluocinonide. 

• Options
    @krashke I have some s’mores ones sitting in my pantry that I am contemplating going to find now. 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 dh wasn't sure if soaking would work. So thank you! I'll make sure tonight's bath is a good soak.

@sabby2 infection is what I'm worried about. I remember getting one on the ball of my foot as a kid. And it got infected cause I wouldn't let my parents get it. Then they had to basically sit on me to do it. He's had a finger one work it's way out once.
    hope your cold is just a cold and you feel better!

@burlapandlace as of the AM, it didn't do much. I'll keep ya updated!

@krashke I got the s'mores ones last year for DS. He wasn't that into them... and I didn't push it cause I was perfectly fine finishing them off. So good!

• Options
    Ugh guys. I officially had my first 'holy shit you're doing to much you pregnant lady' day. I didn't think it was much. We left for a baptism at 9, went to lunch with everyone. Then went straight downtown to the convention center at 2 for a dinosaur  convention with my fam. By the time we left there my whole abdomin was hurting and uncomfy. I was getting flushed and thought I could pass out. Ended up leaning on a counter, sipping water, while we got ready to leave. This seems to early for this shit! 
  • Options
    @catlady1215 I passed out at church at 12 weeks because I was dehydrated. It's crazy what pregnancy does! Hope you are feeling better now!
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    @elsie42 with DS, I climbed 3 flights of steps at around 14-16 wks going into work. I sat down at my desk and almost passed out. Luckily I had 3 coworkers sitting close to help me. Fanned me, gave me Gatorade. I was like wtf! This is the stuff I don't like. Don't like limiting myself and haven't really had to yet. 
  • Options
    @catlady1215 I’ve never tried it myself, but apparently a raw potato is supposed to help draw them out. 
    https://snapguide.com/guides/remove-a-splinter-with-a-potato-slice/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 time well spent! That’s so cute!
  • Options
    catlady1215catlady1215 member
    edited February 2018
    @austenista a potato?! How in  the hell... it might be our next option.. if DS will actually allow it. But it being under his big toe, not sure he will.

update: I didn't look at it before dh put him in the bath to soak. After the bath, thought it was out but think it might just be deeper. Maybe all the walking today? But it's not red at all. More baking soda paste over night I guess. 
  • Options
    @laceybee522 I've had random shortness of breath. I don't remember that from last time. Think I'm getting to old for this stuff! Lol
    and adorable pic!!! Love love it.
  • Options
    @catlady1215 I felt like that today! I had a bowl of cereal and then was running around cleaning the house. Then we had to volunteer at our library and off to swim lessons for DD. As I was getting DD dressed after swim class, I felt hot and lightheaded. I grabbed a Gatorade on our way out from the Y and went home to eat lunch which seemed to help. Guessing not enough water or food to sustain! Scary stuff!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @catlady1215 my DD came home from SIL's house with 3 splinters when she was 2. None of the tricks worked, I had to hold her down and pry them out with tweezers and a needle. I thought for sure someone would call cps for the dramatic screaming that happened. They weren't even deep, good grief. 
    I don't let her go to SIL's house anymore though. How hard is it to put shoes on my kid? 
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522, I also took a photo for social media with half baked ice cream today! Not going to share here since my face is in it, but basically just took a pic of me eating it with the pint container balancing on my bump.

And Re: fires and alarms. I urge everyone to check the dates on your alarms (usually printed on the inside). They are only supposed to work for 10 years, and then they should be replaced. They work based on radioisotopes, which have a half life associated with them. I just found this out a couple days ago, and turns out all our alarms were at least 15 years old... So we went out and got replacements. I have a feeling this is a real thing, since we had an incident a few months ago where we woke up to a house full of smoke because we had the fireplace flue wrong, but no alarms had gone off even though the batteries were still good. 

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Options
    Love the half baked insta post @LaceyBee522! I just posted a picture of the pint on snapchat at 20 weeks and wrote "baby Jack is..." above it. A few of my friends had to ask what it meant. 

And +1 to feeling like the pregnant lady who can't hang. Work is getting so hard these days and I still try to pretend like it isn't. Lifting that damn 70 lb snake is starting to be too much though, thought I was gonna drop him today. At least I've only got 3 more weeks until we move. 

And @May14th2011 I may or may not have eaten an entire box of tagalongs for lunch today and baby also was moving a ton after. Probably just the sugar though. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Options
    My friend who has an 8 month old has been building a stockpile of breastmilk. She has mentioned that she has 400 OZ in the freezer and she’s saving it for me. She has mentioned it a couple times and I just kind of disregard it and say we’ll see. Tonight she said that she is running out of room so I have to take some. I kind of snapped and just said “I’m not taking any right now.” 

It really bothers me that she keeps bringing it up. I know she means well and wants to help but it’s insulting. Like I can feed my own child. If I can’t breastfeed I will reach out, I’ll get donor milk or I’ll formula feed. Her baby is never going to go through all of that breastmilk so I feel like she needs to cut back on pumping and donate some. If I did take some now it would just sit in my freezer for 8 months when someone who needs it could use it now. 

I feel like I need to say something like I appreciate the offer and I will just let you know if and when I need it. 
    *TW LC*

• Options
    @krashke I didn't know that was a thing. People give hand me down breastmilk?? I guess I can see the need for donor milk, but I agree, that is kinda overstepping to just assume you would want/need it. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Options
    Just saw a post on a FB mom group asking what people thought of the name Snowley for a girl.

What is this world coming to?
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @sabby2 Snowley!! Reminds me. I was looking at a forum on old gems from the family tree, and someone had relatives with the names "Fear" and "Pheasant" (??!!). Put like that, it makes me think names like Snowley aren't so bad...
  • Options
    LaceyBee522LaceyBee522 member
    edited February 2018
    @sabby2 Snowley reminds me of an owl. 

@krashke That does seem sort of weird. Is it something you two talked about in theory pre-kids and she is running with it? I would tell her that you appreciate the gesture, but really want the experience of providing and building a supply for your own baby and maybe it is something the two of you can discuss later. I mean, she isn’t just pumping for what she thinks is your supply right??? I assume her own child is still BFing??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @krashke it is recommended to use frozen BM within six months of being frozen. If it is in a deep chest freezer, freezing for 12 months may be okay. Do you know how long she’s been collecting it or storing it? If her kid is 8 months and we might not need it for 4, that’s 12 months for potentially some of the milk. Maybe ask how old it is and encourage her to donate now so it doesn’t go bad?
  • Options
    catlady1215catlady1215 member
    edited February 2018
    @harveyabbey77 super scary!! Glad you found the Gatorade though. I'm sure that def helped.
    i was in the middle of the crowded toy section.... with not one chair to be seen. I was like please don't make a scene, please don't make a scene.

@may14th2011 just going for it was our original thought. If i pushed it just right I could get the tip out. But his cries got so bad, I thought he was going to throw up. So had to stop. Plus his wiggly toes didn't help.
  • Options
    @krashke I agree with @marcus7676 about encouraging her to donate now so that it doesn’t expire. I found some 18 month old frozen BM recently in our deep freezer and when one of my friends heard I’d tossed it she said I should have saved it to make lotion or something lol! 

• Options
    @LaceyBee522 it’s never something we discussed. She has always just said she’s saving it for me. Her baby is still BF. I sincerely hope she’s not BSC enough to be pumping for my supply. 

@marcus7676 @katie121209 it’s in a deep chest freezer so I think she’s going off of 12 months.

Also I can’t remember who mentioned it in the product spotlight that frozen breast milk can have a matallic taste. Maybe her baby doesn’t mind it but what if mine does and then I can’t use any of it. 

@amys614  I love that photo! I’m glad you’ve had a great weekend! 

*TW LC*

• Options
    @krashke my friend gave me some of her BM when I was struggling with DD. Slightly pushed it on me, but I knew she had good intentions. DD threw the two bottles up I tried to give her. Then either her or her husband left the freezer door to her stash open and 600oz of her frozen milk de thawed. She asked for the stash she gave me back lol. 

Side note: when DD got some super bad cases of diaper rash, I would use old BM in a bath and it does wonders! That shit is magic. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker