TTC after 35
Options

Checklist: Maximizing chances of conception at 39/40 (TW kids)

Hi everyone,

DH and I finally agreed to start trying for #2 starting in next cycle. I had #1 at 36, and was successful after a few months of temping and using OPKs (Wondfo). I was also taking a daily prenatal and a baby aspirin.  My cycles are a bit more variable now but still pretty regular with a 26.5 day average and ovulation around day 12 (I think).

Is there anything else I should/could be doing, in terms of nutrition, supplements, exercise, rest?  I have heard some supplements can help with egg quality but I'm doubtful (and I forget the specific supplements in question, so can't research the claims).

Thanks and it's good (but scary) to be back!  I am a bit afraid of life with two little ones...

Re: Checklist: Maximizing chances of conception at 39/40 (TW kids)

• Options
    IDK I think if all your fertility tests are normal you don't need to take all the extras but it can't hurt.  Can they go ahead and test all your stuff so you're not wasting time?  As far as supplements I take a PNV, vit D, Ubiquinol, and omega 3 fish oil.  Ubiquinol is supposed to be for egg health - I honestly don't know if I really need it at this point so as soon as we run out of our current bottle I'm not buying anymore.  I'm also taking vit C currently because it's cold season and I don't want to get sick but it's not for TTC.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @vlagrl29 ! Ubiquinol is definitely one I had been wondering about.  I haven't thought about testing yet but maybe I should ask my ob-gyn... My annual physical and pelvic exam checked out, so I think I would just be looking for hormone values, i.e. a blood test, I guess?

And I am also upping vitamin C just in case it's helpful (along with washing hands a lot), in hopes of fending off the seasonal bugs!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ubiquinol can't hurt I figure either way. 6 months in I had all my testing done. Since you're close to 40 you might want to go ahead and do it. I'm sure everything is fine, mine was but it felt better knowing. Fsh is quality of egg and amh is quantity of eggs and both mine are fine. Have your dhs sperm checked too. No idea why we haven't conceived again yet.
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll talk to my OB about FSH and AMH! My husband is 36 so hopefully he's fine!
  • Options
    It's just what I would do if I were you knowing what I know now.  A peace of mind is a great thing when it comes to TTC.
  • Options
    ndz2018ndz2018 member
    edited January 2018
    @marijaa333 Welcome! I agree With what @vlagrl29 said! We went to our RE Bc I felt Something was off a few months into trying but it wasn’t any of my hormone or anything like that. Matter of fact everything was better than perfect with that! My AMH was 4.17, FSH 7.8 but the problem was H has a low sperm count and taboot I have a septate uterus( having my surgery on Monday to remove it)! So it was straight to IVF for us. I turned 37 in Oct and he will be 43 in March. This will be our first so we didn’t want to waste anytime. And the RE started me on 600 mg of Ubiquinol immediately!
  • Options
    @ndz2018 Thank you for that! Interesting that the RE started you on Ubiquinol - that's definitely a vote "for".  I hope your surgery goes super smoothly and that the recovery is quick and easy.
  • Options
    My OB that I met with yesterday said not every month do we release a good quality egg so I'm going to keep on with the 400mg of ubiquinol. 

I did did a lot of research on supplements and it started with that egg book.