August 2018 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion - 1/11

Okay ladies.....let's hear what you got!

Re: Unpopular Opinion - 1/11

• Options
    I like doing laundry, even folding. This is a good thing because DH is clueless, and we cloth diaper.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @laufisch meh, to each their own. It's your life. :smile: We did a pretty huge, elaborate reveal with DS. We were "the first" to our knowledge to dye water in the fire tank either pink/blue. Everyone else on the news and such copied us. They even asked us how we did it. Lol. I enjoyed our reveal but I know it is probably super cringey for a lot of people. That's fine. This time around I really don't know if we will do anything. My husband wants to but I'm pretty sure we can't top our first. Hahaha! 
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    edited January 2018
     I like the idea of a reveal, but don’t want to find out with everyone else, so won’t do one. I’ve seen some super cute ones though! 

I think my UO is that if I have a girl I plan to pink it up with lots of bows too. And glitter. And tutus. When she’s old enough to tell me what she wants to wear, I’ll be fine with whatever but until then, I’m all about girly stuff. 
  • Options
    @amac12999 add me to the if it's a girl I'm girling it up club. I have already been all over pinterest looking at headbands and glitter and tutus and all of the frilly girl crap. I have 2 boys so I'm ready to have my girly girl. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    This is just my opinion, maybe it's an unpopular one:

@laufisch - I think it would be fine if someone wanted to create a community gender reveal thread - it seems like there are a lot of ladies here interested in doing one and it would be great to have a space to swap ideas and post pictures. The last one went so bad because she was like "I've never contributed here but give me ideas mmmkay? Never mind, you guys are bishes GBCB" so as long as it doesn't go in that direction I think it's fine lol! And happy birthday to your little one!

We did a sorta reveal for DS. We always host a big cookout at the end of March for our family. We just got a cake with pink or blue icing for the dessert. It worked well because it's an established event so there was no gift expectation and the party wasn't about the sex reveal - it was about good food and cake.

@Firemanswife11 That is so so so cool! I've actually never heard or seen that idea before. How awesome! Was it complicated to dye the water and pull it off? I'm so curious!

@pourmeamocktail - Gah! Nope! I like the washing and love the way the clothes feel coming out of the dryer but that's where it ends for me. Clothes stay in the basket or the dryer for like a week sometimes.

Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    juliebird6juliebird6 member
    edited January 2018
    @laufisch I did a gender reveal with our first.  It was fun and I'm glad I did it.  I'm not planning to do one this time because I am lazy and don't have the energy to plan a party, but that's the only reason.  Also, I wouldn't hesitate to start a more general "gender reveal ideas" thread because although some here don't like them, there are certainly lots of moms who do and would participate.

ETA:  @7425cait YES. Why do people love her so much? I do not understand at all. 

AFM, I miss ticker changes.  I think our weekly due date check-ins are too similar to all the other check-ins we have, and I forget who's who and what I'm even reading.
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I completely agree. Participating in the STM+ check in and then the DD check in feels redundant and I constantly forget who's who. 

• Options
    @juliebird6 Tickers are gone?  I just thought maybe people didn't like them anymore. 
    @amac12999 YES!  If it's a girl I will be girling it up like crazy.  She will not be wearing her brothers hand me downs.  If it's a boy, I still might have to come up with an excuse to get him his own new wardrobe.  Cause I was #2.  So I know.

@calimom2524 I think it's just like this in the beginning when there are so many people here kinda one-off participating?  I think once we settle into a routine and it's clear who the main crew is we'll get to know eachother a lot better. 
  • Options
    We're doing a gender reveal party. We like hosting, and we're also the first of our friend circle to have a baby so it will be novel. But we do plan on making it clear that that party is not a gift giving event and no one should bring gifts, they should just come over for fun. We'll probably do a cupcake with pink or blue filling. 

@amac12999 if I have a girl, she's going to be super girly. Lots of bows and Peter Pan collars. I've already picked out all the little outfits I like on Kate Spade baby. My mom loves tutus on babies, and my brother and SIL have already said they don't want one for their daughter, but I will gladly take a tutu for mine.  
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• Options
    @livinthesunnylife No, you can still put a ticker in your signature, but we used to do a daily ticker change for when you switch over to the next week.  So there would be a thread today for ladies who change over on Thursdays, and no matter what week you were changing to, you would comment there.  We only did it here for a week or two, but this is how some BMBs do this instead of the "weekly due date check in" threads.  I much preferred the daily ticker change.  In my experience, the group is a lot smaller and you just get to know those ladies more quickly.  
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 No, it wasn't hard. We just used pool dye. My husband tested it out at their department first and then once he had the ratio right, we used that for the department we did the reveal at. (It was closer for everyone). I was a journalist at the time so had a lot of connections. Worked out really well. 
  • Options
    I think gender reveals as a whole are sorta dumb and very AW-ish, but at the same time can be cute. I wouldn’t attend one. I also think they have gotten kinda out of hand with people trying to do something original, that’s just too much work and pressure for me. 
  • Options
    With my first we didn’t necessarily do a party but we had a dinner at my parents house with just them and my sister and her husband. I bought a box of cupcakes decorated with footballs and rocket ships and that’s how we “revealed” we were having a boy. With my daughter all we did was buy a “little sister” onesie and gave it to my parents after the anatomy scan. Simple but still fun. 
  • Options
    My UO if it counts is that my sister in law is having a “sprinkle” this weekend and I may just skip it so I can stay home and watch the playoffs. My team plays Saturday and hubby’s plays Sunday and the games are honestly more important to me than her shower. 
  • Options
    Sounds like this might be unpopular but I don’t think the sex of the baby is that big of a deal, and I love gender-neutral names. I’m hoping to use most of DS’s clothing for this next babe, as well as all the nursery decorations. He’ll get a new big kid room in the next few months I think. A big part of me feels this way because DH’s family seems to go way overboard with gendering the grandkids and it is so annoying. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    My UO is that picking names just isn't that hard (at least as a FTM). My DH and I picked names easily for both a boy and a girl. Both have family names as a middle name, but mostly because we love those names, not because we felt like we had to have them.

ETA: the qualification of being a FTM
  • Options
    @laufisch meh, to each their own. It's your life. :smile: We did a pretty huge, elaborate reveal with DS. We were "the first" to our knowledge to dye water in the fire tank either pink/blue. Everyone else on the news and such copied us. They even asked us how we did it. Lol. I enjoyed our reveal but I know it is probably super cringey for a lot of people. That's fine. This time around I really don't know if we will do anything. My husband wants to but I'm pretty sure we can't top our first. Hahaha! 
    @Firemanswife11 I saw that video! So cool! We are team green again but both my brothers are firefighters and I sent them the video and told them they had to do it that way if they do gender reveals when the time comes ! 
  • Options
    For Gender Reveal parties, they can be cute, but I won't ever hold one specifically for that. We did make L's 1y.o. smash-cake pink to share that E was a girl, but it was 100% just a small part of his 1st birthday. 

For finding out, I am a planner. Need to know which sex LO is so I can get used to the name. Now that we have one of each, I might be talked into team green. 

AFM: I think screen time is a needed help in parenting today. I know L will at least do 'quiet time' if his shows are playing. E is the same way. Quiet time always turns into nap-time, but the only way to get them to hold still long enough to fall asleep is to put their shows on. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    missbrionymissbriony member
    edited January 2018
    @livintgesunnylife I agree! I’ve been to showers before with friends and as much as I’ve had fun being with said friends, I honestly couldn’t give two hoots about having my own.
    -
    I guess that and gender reveal parties just make me super uncomfortable. That’s be my UO. I just don’t see the attraction in throwing a party over finding out what bits my baby has? 

I can appreciate why some do me do enjoy them though. Just REALLY not my cup of tea. 
  • Options
    Reveal Parties are not something I would ever consider doing and I would not attend unless it was a family member ( I went to my SIL's and it was very sweet to see her and her husband's reaction but I still think they're kind of dumb, sorry). However, to each their own, obviously. I can see why they'd be exciting. As Team Green, I'll never have to worry about it! lol

I also really dislike the idea of a shower for any baby other than your first. There may be some exceptions but in general, if I get invited to a shower for a second baby (only has happened once) I roll my eyes very very hard. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

@livinthesunnylife I'm with you on gender neutral names.  also not my cup of tea.  DH really liked Morgan for a girl, and was mad that I vetoed it.  But Morgan is a boy's name to me.  I don't know.  I just can't.  I also hate unique name spellings for no reason.  Like make your kid's life easier and just spell it properly.  Adding a Y to replace a vowel in a boy's name does not turn it into a girl's name.  Just own the fact that you gave your daughter what is traditionally a male name and spell it the right way.

@princesslockness I would die if DD1 didn't have screen time.  If I don't put the TV on for her when we get home from school, she LOSES HER SHIT until dinner is ready.  I need distractions.

• Options
    @delujm0 Yaaaaas girl!  Stupid spellings do not make the name cool.  I have a friend with a Jaxon, another with a Brendyn.  I feel sorry for those kids having to spell their names for everyone their whole life.  Just not my thing. 

And @princesslockness I sometimes wish screentime worked.  What age does it start working?  DS hates the car and I would love a way to calm him down for long car rides.
  • Options
    @legallykate I totally agree.  Personally, I will spend months obsessing and trying to pick out the right name and not knowing would cause me the additional anxiety of having to pick out TWO names, which completely stresses me out.

Oh, and I guess I'll make this my UO.  I don't like gender neutral names.  They just aren't for me. 
    Yes to all of this. 

• Options
    @livinthesunnylife DD1 is JUST starting to be able to concentrate on a single show or movie long enough that her tablet works to distract her on a long car ride or a flight.  She's 2.5.
  • Options
    @princesslockness I don't think I would survive if my children didn't have ipads. Also, they learn from them too. Yes some of their time is spent just on youtube kids but a lot of the things they do and watch on the ipads is educational, I'm 98% certain my DS1 has learned to read from using his ipad. Screentime fo lyfe. 

• Options
    I am so so ok with screen time. Trolls is the current flavour of the month! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My uo is that i just can’t get into some of the “popular” tv shows like This Is Us and The Bachelor. I’ve tried, I just can’t. I’m more into the comedies and record speechless and American housewife type shows. And I can’t stand the Kardashians and don’t get their appeal. So what if they are all pregnant but no one wants to admit it yet since they are waiting until their shows season starts again.
    Married: August 2007
    DD1: Oct 2012
    DD2: Sept 2016
    DC3: Due August 2018
  • Options
    I'm a big shower hater too.  I'll buy you a gift, but please don't torture me with some female-only, no alcohol, dumb event where we sit around and play stupid games.  I come up with any excuse not to go and just send a really amazing gift.  And I didn't have a shower for DS.  I made a registry so I could get the discounts and then bought everything I wanted. 

Edit- typo
    Agree on female-only showers. ughhhh....my shower was a bunch of friends and their partners if they had them and it was a boozy brunch with some gifts thrown in somewhere in the middle. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options

@princesslockness my DD isn't old enough to understand or "benefit" from screen time yet, but for the life of me, I cannot understand how some people just never turn the TV on or have their phones around their kids.  Uh, what? How is that even possible? If I left the TV off from 6 am-7 pm on Saturdays and Sundays when we are home all day with DD, I would lose my ever loving mind.
    When you don't have cable, turning the TV on becomes more intentional. We hardly ever turn it on except to watch something on Netflix at a time when we're ready to sit down and watch it, which is almost always after DS goes to bed. I used to be a "TV on for background noise" kind of person, so I get it. But cutting the cord is delightfully liberating, and now our background noise is nature (sounds of birds, etc.) or music. Phones are a different story, but I don't know where mine is half the time. DH is on his more than I would like, but I personally hate my iPhone--maybe that is my OU. It's just information overload--people texting, push notifications, etc. etc. that I feel overwhelmed with it. Often, I just leave it in my car when I get home from work. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    ***Snip*****

And @princesslockness I sometimes wish screentime worked.  What age does it start working?  DS hates the car and I would love a way to calm him down for long car rides.
    L has been pretty happy with his netflix shows since about 10 months. I love having movies on the IPad for trips anywhere. I hand it back to him with the movie going, and he is 100% happy. I cheat and put the sound through the car speakers, so I can hear as soon as he has issues. 

@ecwk Trolls, or Trollhunters? Love both, but there is a huge difference. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well.