August 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 1/8: Sleep Surfaces!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... sleep surfaces! Cribs, bassinets, travel cribs, mattresses, and anything in between. 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs: 
  • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc):
  • Favorite [sleep surface]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [sleep surfaces]?:

For FTMs:
  • [Sleep surface] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Link to past threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UyhRAJyRFD8vsNwLsXd7vCCC-9pYjzH3p5HvngpnaOI/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight 1/8: Sleep Surfaces!

• Options
    meeks2020meeks2020 member
    edited January 2018
    Back information and question-
    We very frequently stay at my in-laws, in my husband's old room. (Eta- we go for a weekend or a week at a time at least once a month) The room is small, has a full sized bed and my toddlers bed at the bottom of our bed.  We are going to need a place for baby to sleep while we are there too, but there's no room to put something up all of the time. It would need to be set up and taken down each time and also easily moved out of the way when it is taken down (ie put under the bed, behind door, ect.) Ideally such an item would last until the first birthday as well so we don't have to buy so many beds.

Any tips on travel beds besides a packnplay that may last close to a year old? The packnplay is way too large for the small extra space we will have in the room. 

• Options
    @meeks2020 Have you looked at the Phil and Ted travel bed? I don't own one, but I've heard great things. I believe the footprint is smaller than a pack and play, and it is only like 7 lbs, so carting it with you is easy, plus the side zips down. But that's why I wanted one, because for the longest time I had to lie down and nurse my son to sleep, and roll away, so he could only nap on floor or a bed(before he was rolling!. This would have changed our lives for the better!!!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have this pack n play. The Graco Silhouette. We honestly threw away the changing part. I liked the canopy in case we ever needed a nap space while the family was outside, but we haven’t needed it yet. 

For both my kids so far, and for this one, I set it up in my room with the bassinet, and they can sleep within arms reach. It’s also convenient and easy to bring to hotels, etc. 

• Options
    Also for cribs, we got one that came with a kit to turn it into a toddler bed. And we bought the conversion kit to turn it into a full bed. I think a lot of cribs are 3-in-1 or 4-in-1, and it’s just 1 less thing you have to buy as the kids grow 
  • Options
    Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): We live in a house with all bedrooms on the second floor.  We don't travel very often, but use a Pack n Play when we do.

Favorite [sleep surface]: Her actual crib! We have SO many different sleeping gadgets, but DD has never slept better than when we finally moved her to her crib in her own room at 6 months.  Here are all the different things we've tried:

Halo Bassinest I wanted to love it, but hated it. I'm not even sure I will get it out for #2. Reasons I hated it:  although it's touted as having a small footprint, I found the legs of it to be really bulky and always in the way, and it's pretty heavy/hard to move.  I should add that our room is a pretty good size, so I was completely caught off guard by how much space the legs of this thing actually took up.  The mattress is paper thin and just not comfortable.  Also, if your baby has reflux, good luck using this thing.  You might be able to elevate the "mattress" slightly, but then you are likely compromising the safety of the whole thing in general, which is probably why you bought it.  You can't use it for very long because once baby really starts rolling, this thing is done for.  I was always worried she would roll right over the side of it because you can push the sides down fairly easily.  I wouldn't waste my money on this again.

Rock N Play Lifesaver for babies with refux.  It has an incline, and you can plug it in and it will auto rock.  Genius contraption.  Even if you don't use it for night time sleep, you'll want one of these to hold baby during the day.

Pack N Play DD sleeps fine in our Pack N Play with just the regular mattress it came with, although I've read you can buy special mattresses to put in there and make it softer.  I haven't found that necessary.  We got the PnP that has the newborn insert and all that jazz, which we didn't use with DD because she would only sleep in the Rock N Play, but might use that this time around (FX baby #2 doesn't have reflux).

Crib We got this crib from Pottery Barn. It was expensive, but worth it IMO.  It's a convertible so will stay in the room forever.  We already have beds in all our other bedrooms, so we needed to buy something for this room anyway.  We've only had it for a year, but so far it's holding up really nicely (no bite marks!!).  We bought a mattress at Babies R Us (can't remember which one), but I wish I had gone a bit more expensive on the mattress.  Now that DD is walking, I wish it was more memory foam and less springy.

Dock A Tot This item caught a lot of flack on the July board for not meeting safety standards, but we have one and LOVE it.  We do not use it to co-sleep and I would never put her in there if I wasn't right next to her, but we did use it for naps during the day on the couch.  After we got her reflux under control, DD slept really great in there during the day.  

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Ok, I'll answer the STM questions.  Sleep is a subject every mom is very passionate about!
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc):  House, travel sometimes.
    • Favorite [sleep surface]:  Different at each stage of life.  I never had LO in our room.  Just my choice, I was on leave and DH had to work.  So when I got up at night I just went in LO's room.  He went through a stage where he would only sleep in the Rock N Play.  When he finally did transition to the crib, he slept with the DockaTot in the crib (officially against recommendations).  Now he STTN 11ish hours a night just in the crib.  
    • We had the Fisher Price Jonathan Adler Rock N Play that plugs in.  It vibrates, plays music, white noise.  It's magical.  Everyone needs one.  Would not have survived without it.  
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?:  I don't want to take LO out of his crib when the new baby comes, but I also don't want to own another crib.  So I'm thinking new baby will need to sleep in the PnP until DS is 2ish?  That's roughly my plan right now. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?:   I can't think of one? Do what you have to do to get sleep.  It's so important.
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surfaces]?:  I went into parenting thinking I would never bring the baby in our bed.  But you know what?  I spent several nights when he was little sleeping in the recliner in his room because it was the only way he would sleep.  Now that he's older, if he's sick he wants to sleep with me.   I'm very pro-sleep
    ETA: I have the 4 Mom's PnP.  Don't ask me why.  It's way more expensive and I haven't used it much.  Maybe #2 will get some use out of it.

• Options
    Executive summary:

We started out both times with baby in the "napper" bassinet attachment of the PNP, next to our bed.  We gave up on that at 13 weeks with DD1 (she was way too big for it by that point but had been sttn so we were scared to move her earlier) and 8 weeks with DD2 (she was a garbage sleeper so we figured the crib couldn't be any worse).  After that they went right into the crib in the nursery which is a separate doorless room inside of our master suite.

DD1 had GERD and until it was diagnosed she would not sleep on her back.  She slept on top of me in a recliner for 6 weeks before we got her on zantac, at which point she slept on her back no problem.  But once she could roll she preferred to sleep on her belly.  DD2 did did a thing where if she woke up motn any time after 3am there was no way she was going back into her bed.  I had to let her sleep on top of me in our bed in order to sleep.  However she outgrew that on her own around 3 months of age and has been in her crib all night ever since.  She will only sleep on her back.

We don't do convertible cribs...we prefer a cheaper crib and then buying a more high quality bed once they age out if it.  If we had a super high quality crib it would be another story, but in my experience the kid is like gnawing on the crib and semi destroying it, so we figure when we're done with babies we'll just donate it.  We have a foam mattress that is reversible so one side is super firm for infants and the other side is a bit softer for toddlers.  DD1 moved to her big kid bed with guardrails on it at 23 months.  We may have to get or borrow a crib for DD2 for once this baby arrives because I'm not sure she'll be ready for a bed with guardrails at 14 months.  If we get one it'll be an ikea cheapie and we'll get her into her real bed asap.

We have a Dream on Me brand PNP mattress we use for travel.  We have the foam one so it's similar to our crib mattress.  It fits the true PNPs perfectly and we've had no issues, though it is not advised that you use anything other than the mat the PNP comes with. That thing is not really a sleeping surface though.  We only use this when traveling, but we like it.

For those early days, my kids liked to nap in the Leacho Podster lounger.  DD1 liked it until 8 months when she figured out how to roll out of it.  It's deeper and better than the boppy lounger in my opinion.  DD2 likes to sit up straight so she didn't use it as long, but it was still great at the beginning.  We have one on each floor of the house.

Leachco Podster Sling-Style Infant Seat Lounger, Sage Pin Dot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HIXOTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_y54uAbDGRT793

Get multiple waterproof mattress covers for the crib.  Nothing worse that having to change it motn and realizing you have none clean.  We have 3 mattress pads and probably 8-10 sheets.  I use flannel in the winter, muslin in the summer, and cotton for the in between times.  I have at least 2 of each kind just to be safe.

My kids would accept the swing for a quick nap but otherwise have slept basically on top of me or in a bassinet or crib exclusively.  So we're pretty bare bones on sleeping surfaces.
  • Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): Was a small 1 bedroom, and used for travel. 
    • Favorite [sleep surface]: Rock 'n Play. 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Under $75. 
    • What you like about it: It has an incline so if baby has reflux it works, I felt better about leaving her with a bottle once she was 4+ months. It folds up, so is easily storable. We have one for E at DC, and one at my parents house. LOVE THEM!!
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Ours takes D batteries, so its expensive to run, but the batteries last over a week if only on when in use. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I loathe cribs. No idea, but I refuse to have one in my house. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Pack 'n Play. It doesn't make sense to me to have the baby sleep so low. When I do MOTN stuff, I don't want to have to fold myself in half just to grab the kid. PnP as a play pen is wonderful, though. 
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surfaces]?: We also co-sleep for a few months. Its nice and easy to not have to leave my warm bed to take care of the new LO. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    DS's sleep surface has been his crib mattress from day 1. I am so thankful we did it this way as it can be really hard to transition from a bassinet or a rock and play into the crib. We will put our new arrival in a crib from day 1 also. We put the crib right in our master bedroom. 

Benefits: No extra cost from buying another "thing," DS learned to sleep in the crib from day 1. 
    Drawback: Crib had to be disassembled when we moved DS to his own room at about 6 months. But this wasn't really a big deal. It's the
    Sleep surface you hate/won't use: Anything except a crib. See below: 

This may be surprising information to some, but only cribs are regulated by federal safety standards (I only know what the U.S. situation is on this.) Bassinets, rock and plays, etc. do not need to meet any mandated federal safety regulations. We were all set on getting a bassinet because that just seemed what everyone was doing, and then we stumbled upon this information in Consumer Reports. CS recommends cribs from day 1 for safety and that's why we went that route. But, again, since they will sleep in a crib anyways, why not swaddle them and put them in a crib right away? 

We do use a PNP for travel, but even then, we have found that many hotels have cribs if you ask for them in advance. And my parents bought a crib to live at their house, so when we visit, there is a crib, which is great. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): House with smaller bedrooms, and we travel a lot now and hope to continue once baby gets here (we both live far from family and hope to visit with baby)
    • [Sleep surface] you're interested in: We were given a Pottery Barn crib from a friend that we will use once baby is a little older, but I’m a little stumped for right when we bring him/her home. I was thinking the Halo bassinet was going to be our best option, but @juliebird6 you have me reconsidering that! I don’t have a lot of space on my side of the bed to put something and thought the Halo would fit the best, but maybe I need to find a way to fit a rock n play. 
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: Any other good but smaller bassinet options from STMs? I really want to breastfeed, so proximity will be important, and we are expecting a early baby, so he/she will be on the smaller side and probably able to use a bassinet longer than most. 
  • Options
    For those looking for a real crib to keep at a place you visit often, like a parents house or a second home, etc, my in laws have this one.  Needs a mattress too obviously, but it folds completely flat when not in use and is super easy to set up and take down.  Also it fits in the back of a minivan with the third row down (we brought it to my mom's house from my in laws house over christmas in a minivan).  This is also the model that many vacation rental agencies use, I've had them in several places before including disney world and key west.  We may borrow my in laws for the first few months after this baby is born, for DD2 to use before she is ready for her bed.

Dream On Me Full Size 2 in 1 Folding Stationary Side Crib, Natural https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030E9VL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_TR5uAbTPFF64V
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail and @delujm0 I'll have to look at both of Those! I think the first suggestion seems the easiest (or least space consuming when folded) and we may need to go that route. I've seen the foldable cribs when we stayed at the Ronald McDonald House and they are smaller tho and a good possible other option 

• Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): We live in a two-story house, with all of the bedrooms upstairs
    • Favorite [sleep surface]: It was different for each age. DS slept in our room for the first 6 months (so much easier, especially if you have any anxiety at all, and/or you're nursing. He spent the first few weeks in the infant insert of a PnP. It had a bit of an incline, which I thought was helpful. (Sidenote: We also had a second PnP on our main level with an infant insert, which DS napped in for the first 8 weeks or so). When he seemed to be outgrowing the infant insert, we switched to the higher level of the PnP (so he wasn't sleeping on the bottom/floor level). Then at 5 months, we started transitioning him into his crib in his own room (he also started sleeping on his stomach around this time--his own doing). I'd probably find a different transitional surface for after the infant insert and before the crib. I liked having him in our room, but wasn't a fan of the upper part of the PnP. We still use the regular PnP any time we travel though and DS sleeps really well in it.
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: We never used a Rock and Play the first time, but I'm considering it if this baby doesn't seem to be a very good sleeper. DS was a terrible sleeper and, at 18 months old, still wakes up once a night. I'm just now working on night weaning him. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: The higher level of the PnP wasn't the greatest, as it was basically just a piece of cardboard. DS had a really flat head, and even though I tried to re-position him, I think this was a big culprit.
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surfaces]?: Never say never. I didn't think I'd ever bed-share, but having to work full time while also nursing a baby 6+ times per night, I didn't see another way. He'd sleep until 11pm or 1am for his first stretch, and then I'd leave him in bed next to me to easily nurse throughout the night. This is the only way I got any sleep from like 4 months until 9 months. Even until now (18 mos), he still insists on nursing laying beside me in bed before returning to his bed (sitting in the glider in his room doesn't cut it). Like I said, I'm night weaning now, but like a previous poster said, I'm all for anything that helps mom and baby sleep!
  • Options
    For S+TMs: 
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): Small house with limited space
    • Favorite [sleep surface]:Honestly? My chest. We were co-sleepers and neither of my kids would sleep in anything other than on my chest or DH's chest or in the bed right next to us. Yes I am aware this is not the safest option but it's what worked for us. Also, the Rock n Play like mentioned above was a napping lifesaver. Once DS2 was older I put him in a Dock-A-Tot at night and it was a miracle worker. We also had one of those portable cribs (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035ER8L2/ref=asc_df_B0035ER8L25329558/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0035ER8L2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167129560921&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4779833728897714091&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031905&hvtargid=pla-303816298753&th=1) that we used when they actually did sleep in a crib. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): The DAT was pretty $$$ IMO but it did do it's job. I would save on buying the smaller model and just go straight for the big one. 
    • What you like about it:The RNP saved my life when I could get DS to sleep anywhere other than on me. The DAT was also pretty rad when trying to transition him away from sleeping with me at night. He slept much longer stretches on his own when in the DAT than just in his bed. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: We hated the pack n play and never used one for either kid. 
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surfaces]?: It is SUCH a personal decision on what surfaces babies sleep on. What works for one family may not work for another. I found it was best to try what we felt was right and if that wasn't working, we tried something else. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    This thread is so helpful! FTM here and an only child, the only family that has kids live across the country, so I never got to learn anything. None of my close friends have been blessed by children either, so I am a complete noob.

I get so overwhelmed thinking about all the things that I "need" and have no idea where to start.

I only have two bedrooms, ours and the guest room, which gets used fairly frequently. Our bedroom is larger than my kitchen and living room combined, so I was just going to put the crib and things in there with us anyway. So it's a relief to hear others do that and I won't have to feel like a lazy poor.

My mom has been saving the crib she used for me, and I'm not sure how to tell her I think it's ugly, antiquated, and it being a drop-side that didn't half ass work the last time I put it together, that I don't want it. I want my own stuff...that suits me, and not her antique fetish.

So thank you, thank you for the advice so far in this thread!
  • Options
    @neeraja_k Can you tell your mom you want her to keep the crib at her house so the baby has a place to sleep when they are there? 
    As far as all the things you need, as much as you prepare you still won't have everything.  Thank goodness for Amazon prime, I have no idea how anyone Mommed before that existed! 
  • Options
    @neeraja_k when DD was born, we had 1 bedroom. Luckily it was really big, and we did exactly that.  We put our furniture in half our bedroom. And in the other half, put a crib, wardrobe, changing table and glider. 

And even then I set up the bassinet because I wanted her right next to me and not like 5-10 feet away haha 
  • Options
    Talking about “sleep surfaces” is funny because DS slept in our bed early on, but we definitely have some.

1. Halo Bassinet Cosleeper
    Pros: Connects to your bed, has a lot of
    storage. DS slept here for a few weeks as a newborn. 
    Cons: Hard to fold and unfold. Super firm.

2. This crib from IKEA: https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/90371949/ (bought it for much cheaper. At least half price, I think). 
    Pros: inexpensive (which goes for IKEA in general), extra storage.
    Cons: Somewhat bulky. It wasn’t easy to get it out of his room, but we managed. Basically this was a play pen. I can count on one hand the amount of times DS slept in it.

3. Graco Pack n play. We really just bought this as a play pen for when we travel and not everything is baby proof.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    lolog531lolog531 member
    edited January 2018
    Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): At the time of DS's arrival we were in a one story condo, but now we are in a 2 story house with all bedrooms on the second floor. A few things may change this time around

Favorite [sleep surface]: Rock N Play - hands down. Gold. Lifesaver. Saved my sanity. We had planned on him being in our room in the PnP, but he had bad reflux and could not handle laying flat. We borrowed a friends RnP (not battery powered, just the original manual one) and he slept in that at night and for most naps for the first 3 months. We transferred him to his room around 2 months. I would just go to him and sit in the rocker when we had MOTN feedings. Ultimately he ended up sleeping best in his crib though. We got a middle of the line mattress for BRU and a Delta brand crib from there as well. It was a 3 or 4 in 1 that we now have as a toddler bed for him. They have both held up well and he's been sleeping 10-12 hours a night since he was 10 months old!

We will be purchasing our own RnP this time around, possibly 2 to have 1 on each floor. I will also add the one we had was great for traveling because it folded up and was lightweight! Our families both live 3-4 hours away, so are visiting one of them every couple months.

The PnP has been great for travel. We take that whenever we are going overnight somewhere and it's been perfect. As said above, we travel enough where we've gotten good use out of it. We never once used it at home. I could see it being used more as a 'playpen' this time around since we have a 2 story house with double the space of where we were before. 

DS hated the swing and bouncer. Thankfully we were in a small space, so we borrowed a swing from a friend and just returned it when we realized he was not a fan!

Additional thoughts:
    - Do what works for you and your baby and don't worry about anything else! We were never good at sharing a room (still aren't!!) and DS has never slept in our bed. I am not opposed to it, it just never  happened for us. Just keep an open mind and if one thing doesn't seem to work, try another!
    - +1 to waterproof mattress pads!
    - Sometimes less is more - We kept it to just the RnP and crib mainly (although we tried others). Once he was around 4-5 months it was strictly the crib. I think it helped he also slept in a crib at daycare, but he's always been a champion sleeper and I credit some of it to the consistency of sleeping in his room from early on. But again, find what works!! I am well aware that #2 will probably be completely different.

Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• Options
    Our situation was the same as many others. We did a little RnP, but mostly put DS right in the crib in our room from Day 1. Worked great. He was in there until around 7ish months, when we realized that we were waking him up in the morning. That's when we knew he was ready for his own room. Although I think AAP recommends room-sharing up until 1yo now. 
    But mostly, whatever gets everyone to sleep is probably the healthiest thing. 

One thing that came up after we brought our DS home was blackout shades. We had regular blinds and had to replace them to help make it darker in our room. Especially because it will still be very light out for very long when these bubs come home. The total blackout shade really helped DS sleep. 
    Also, lots has changed since our parents raised us and I've had to stop my mom on a few things. Sleeping on their backs and no blankets in the crib to name a few. As long as I gently explain she's pretty  My mom made us bumpers for the crib and I had to tell her we couldn't use them. I ended up using them as a kind of crib skirt. She brings all of our old toys over too, and sometimes I have to set them aside because I think they're too far out of today's safety standards. I just kind of read her excitement level and figure out how and when to tell her that I've done something for a safety reason, but that I still appreciate what she gave us. 
  • Options
    We did a pack n play in our room for the first three months and still use it at day care. Love it. I liked that the surface was large enough that I didn't worry about DD rolling over the edge or getting her face stuck. 

Then she moved to her own room and crib. Which was a total game changer. 

During the day she would sometimes nap in her swing, but I think I want to make sure LO naps in his/her crib this time around.

Another big fan of waterproof mattress pads and convertible cribs. Ours has since turned into a toddler bed with a toddler rail, and will transition into a double bed eventually.

Although DH and I were guilty of it at times, please please please try not to fall asleep with baby on your chest. 

*TW*

My mom's coworker lost her newborn when her husband fell asleep with baby on his chest. Baby rolled and suffocated between dad and the arm of the couch. 
  • Options
    • Lifestyle: Small house, all bedrooms upstairs. We take road trips or weekends away a few times a year. We also go camping often during the summer. 
    • Favorite: Crib
    • Link/picture: Not made anymore - has a storage drawer under it that I used for blankets/bedding
    • Cost: $150ish in 2010
    • What you like about it: DS slept in his crib from 8 wks on. He STTN (about midnight to 6am) early, and he slept better in his own room in the crib.
    • What you don't like about it: It was supposed to transition into a toddler bed, but the lowest setting was too tall. We bought an IKEA toddler bed instead. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Rock n Play - they didn’t have them around here when DS was born, but it would’ve been a lifesaver. He had reflux and couldn’t sleep on a flat surface. We ended up putting a foam wedge pillow in his crib to get him to sleep. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: none
    • When DS was a newborn I used a pack & play in our room. It was nice to have a bed & changing station right there. We also used it in our tent for camping and took it on road trips. DS could sleep in the bottom of it until he was about 2yo, at which point I bought one of those foam toddler couch-to-bed things. He sometimes napped on it during the day or slept on it in our room if he was sick. We could also squish it in the car for warm-weather camping or for overnight trips. 
    • He napped a lot in his swing and bouncer, since they didn’t lay completely flat. I used a Leacho nursing pillow that doubled as a newborn lounger for him to nap or sleep on. It wasn’t ideal, but I could strap him onto the pillow on his back so he didn’t roll or slump down, and we could put it in the pnp bassinet when he was really little. The reflux mostly went away around 6mo when he started eating actual food. 
    • don’t forget swaddles. DS loved to be swaddled and didn’t sleep unswaddled until he started rolling over. 
    • If you’re considering using a pacifier, look at a Wubbanub. They’re pacis with stuffed animals attached, and they’re so easy to find in the middle of the night. For DS, sleeping on an incline while swaddled with a Wubbanub was the magic formula for 12 hrs of sleep a night. 
  • Options
    Oh you reminded me!  Huge fan of the Ollie Swaddle!  That was life changing for us finally getting some sleep.  It's a fancy blanket with velcro that allows you to swaddle them up better than just a normal blanket. 
  • Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): house, travel and camp often 
    • Favorite [sleep surface]: king bed on the floor and a pack and play
    • What you like about it: can side nurse at night without getting up. When baby falls asleep I just have to sneak away but don't need to move her. Good sleepers / little babes get moved to pack and play by bed. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: wish I would have upgraded myself to a king bed and done full on safe bedshare/cosleep set up from the beginning rather than struggling trying to find other ways for baby to stay asleep. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I wanted that Halo for my last baby but found out the side doesn't lower all the way, and from comments above doesn't look so great after all. I'm interested in the new pack and play style that the side zips away... seems like you could nurse and sneak away then zip it up. Haven't seen one in person though. 
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: before we decided to bedshare, I would get up and nurse on a glider, the couch, or sitting on the bed then go through the whole rigamorale to put baby down, only to have her wake up screaming immediately. Nobody got any sleep. Falling asleep holding baby in any of these positions is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do. If your baby only sleeps when she is being held by you and you decide to go with it, please make a commitment and research how to bedshare safely, there just isn't a safe way to do it halfway. In any case we always try to get our babies sleeping in the pack and play as much as possible, as that is easy to transition to crib/ own room. 
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favourite Holiday Movie Moment

• Options
    @matryoshkadoll I agree 100%. It’s better to safely cosleep than inadvertently fall asleep with baby in an unsafe way. I so wish we had room for a king size bed. Once DS was getting bigger and wiggly, DH spent the night in the couch, poor guy. Now we have DS I’m his own floor bed, but he still ends up with us by morning. Whatever works!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    • Favorite [sleep surface]: During the night ds slept in a bassinet in our room. For naps and after he was 3 months during the night he would sleep in his crib. Pack n play when we travel 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): the bassinet was from when I was a baby. The crib was from target for maybe 150. If you are planning on getting furniture from target wait for coupons when my mom got it for ds she got a changing table and a $45 or $50 gift card for Target because she spent $200 on baby furniture
    • What you like about it: I liked the bassinet because during the night baby is up alot and its nice for them to be right there
    • Its very nice to have additional bedding extra crib sheet/bassinet sheets. If ds spit up or had a blowout it was nice to be able to put another sheet on and throw the dirty one in the wash
  • Options
    For S+TMs: 
    Small house all on one level.
    • Favorite [sleep surface]:
    We used the Arm's Reach Clear Vue Co-Sleeper until he outgrew it at about 5 months, then moved to a convertible crib in his room.  He just turned 2, and is actually still in his crib.  He's not very adventurous and doesn't try to climb out, so we're sticking with it for the time being.
    • Link/picture:
    It says it's $139 now, but I think it cost less 2 years ago.
    • What you like about it:
    I was pretty paranoid about bedsharing, so I liked that I had him right next to me and I could touch him, but he wasn't actually in bed with us.  I worried a little about blankets or pillows falling into his space, but it never happened.  DS was also not interested in cuddling in bed and slept better on his own, so it worked well for us.  We never actually figured out how to nurse lying down, either, and DH complained that nursing in bed kept him up, so we always moved to the glider in the nursery next door to nurse.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:
    Having it strapped to the bed made it awkward to get in and out, but I got used to it.  He also outgrew it pretty fast, but it was about the same time that we were wanting to move him into his own room for other reasons.  Babies are loud, and we could tell that we disturbing his sleep, too.
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
    We had a hand me down bouncy chair that we used around the house for playing and naps.  I think I'd get a new version of that, or maybe a rock-n-play.  We also used it occasionally when DS would get really congested.
    • Is there a [sleep surface] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    There were a few times we tried putting DS in our bed, especially when he was sick.  He hated it, and we didn't do well either.  He's an affectionate kid when he's awake, but he really needs his space when he sleeps.
    I'm hoping I can figure out how to nurse lying on my side this time.  DS wasn't great at nursing for a long time, and I suspect my very small breasts made it really hard.  But if we can figure that out, we might reconsider the bedsharing, at least occasionally.
  • Options
    @matryoshkadoll ditto basically everything. Bedsharing feels very normal and just... right. Sharing sleep is a biological norm. But BIG YES to the point about intentionally safely bedsharing vs falling asleep in a chair.

we do have a crib that I usually try to use, if nothing else but naps. And I like having a pnp etc on the main floor for diaper changes early on or a spot to set baby down if needed.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    For those who co-sleep, I am wondering your tips for actually doing this successfully?  We don't do it, but there are a few nights here and there that DD ends up in our bed and it's truly awful for everyone.  I have not found a way that will allow her to sleep comfortably, and both DH and I to sleep comfortably too.  I'm up all night worried that our covers will get tangled on her, or she'll roll into our pillows, or whatever else you can think of.  Do you get rid of your pillows?  Do your babies just move around less than mine?  I don't know how to do it.
  • Options
    melpropmelprop member
    edited January 2018
    If anyone is looking for a rock n play, my Walmart had them on a clearance endcap today in the baby section. Got the gender neutral RNP for $35. (It’s $60 on Amazon.) They also had strollers, swings, baby play mats, Medela pumps & accessories, etc. all marked around 50% off. If there’s anything you’re looking to get or replace, it might be worth checking your local WM. 
  • Options
    @melprop you're my favorite person today! Thanks for the heads up!
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2, no problem! On my Jan ‘11 BMB we made separate FMW (F my wallet) posts for sales, but I wasn’t sure it’d be welcome here. 
  • Options
    I vote that thread needs to happen immediately! Love the name too :smiley:
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    melprop said:
    If anyone is looking for a rock n play, my Walmart had them on a clearance endcap today in the baby section. Got the gender neutral RNP for $35. (It’s $60 on Amazon.) They also had strollers, swings, baby play mats, Medela pumps & accessories, etc. all marked around 50% off. If there’s anything you’re looking to get or replace, it might be worth checking your local WM. 
    Kind of related to this: I saw 2 Tula's at my Target last night for $75 which is half off. Back when I had DS2 you couldn't get a Tula for less than retail and usually it was way higher. If anyone is thinking of babywearing and wants a Tula, check your Target clearance!

• Options
    And..... You need a Tula.  I have two.  I wish I had only bought the lighter weight one, but unfortunately I bought the normal one first and then bought the lighter one.  It's ok, I keep one in the car and one in the house.  Love my Tulas!
  • Options
    @livinthesunnylife I couldn't agree more. We won't even discuss the amount of money I spent on Tula's when DS2 was born. I'm very thankful for everyone else's bank accounts the insane craze has died down and supply has caught up with demand. 

• Options
    @calimom2524 Yeah I don't get into all the crazy patterns.  The first one I wanted something generic that I thought DH would carry too.  Then I realized that DH was never going to carry him anyway, so I bought a color I like for the second one.  I don't think I paid more than $100 including the infant insert. 
  • Options
    I’m looking at the new Tula that can be used with a 7 lb baby without an infant insert. I loved my Moby, but it was a PITA to tie and very warm during the summer. I tried a couple cheaper Infantino carriers but wasn’t thrilled. I will say, though, the Moby was a lifesaver when my uncle died in FL and I flew down with DS for the funeral. One backpack that doubled as a diaper bag, one rolling carry-on, DS in the Moby, and I gate-checked the infant seat. I flew standby on a buddy pass and didn’t have to worry about my luggage not following me.