July 2018 Moms
Options

Buying Maternity Clothes

Re: Buying Maternity Clothes

• Options
    I just bought some new dresses and tights/leggings that will hopefully carry me through Spring.  I also just ordered some things from Motherhood today since they are having their 40% clearance sale.  I got a pair of skinny jeans for $11, and a bunch of shirts. 
    Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but does Motherhood Maternity run small, average or big?  Thinking of buying some stuff during the sale but I have no idea how it runs
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Has anyone seen a maternity cardigan type sweater anywhere? Old Navy had some but all the sizes seem to be gone. None at Gap or Loft. I just want a basic black button up cardigan! Also on the hunt for business casual appropriate tops for work. I really don't want to spend a lot of money but constantly feel like I have nothing to wear. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 I’ve seen a few on zulily, I’m not sure about black but it’s worth a look. The shipping usually takes forever though. 
  • Options
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @moguippy it depends on what you get from there I’d say? I got some jeans (Indigo Blue) that seem on the smaller side (got one size up from my reg). Then some leggings (the pea in the pod ones- omg the best) that seem pretty true to size. 
  • Options
    Anyone have a brand recommendation for maternity leggings? I'm talking the nice, thick, wear them as pants like a dgaf-er, bend over without them showing your underwear off status maternity leggings. 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • Options
    @moguippy I would say most of motherhood runs true to size but I have a bigger chest and at times the shirts have run a little snug 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    @babybakie so did the outlet not have discount prices? I’m going to be closeish to an outlet with a motherhood this weekend and itd be worth it to stop in if there were good deals. If not I need to make an effort to get into motherhood close to home soon. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 was actually just viewing this, not black but dark color... https://www.motherhood.com/relaxed-fit-maternity-cardigan/001-92926-000-001.html?cgid=online-deal&dwvar_001-92926-000-001_color=006-92926-22#sz=24&start=1

@moguippy I just bought a bunch of stuff at motherhood maternity and I am very happy. If anything, maybe it runs little big but actually it fits me how I believe it should. I'm tall (5'9")with an average build, small busted, yet I usually need to buy large in most brands due to my arm length and hieght even though I feel I truly am a medium. I am wearing a medium motherhood maternity sweater today, it fits perfectly and I am so comfy right now.

@Hillbillywife The clearance was 40% off. It seemed like 40% off retail, not am additional 40% off already marked down. In clearance I got some great sweaters for $20 to $25 dollars. The regular tops were buy 2 get one free and they ranged from $30 - $50 each and leggings were buy one get one half off. Then we asked the cashier to scan any other coupon she could  so I think she found a 20% off one item. underwear was 5 for $25. I got 5 sweaters,  two leggings and the underwear for about $165ish. 
  • Options
    @Hillbillywife I don't have the receipt on me, and just added up prices I remember and it may have been $185ish for what I mentioned though she did scan extra coupons for us. 

It seems nice quality so I am sure these deals are good, though I'm regularly a $15 or less per item TJMaxx bargain hunter so I personally had a bit of sticker shock at the grand total but I am really happy with what I got. 
  • Options
    @babybakie haha yeah I’m definitely a bargain shopper too lol. Thanks for letting me know. Probably worth stopping in. Gonna need clothes to wear at some point lol. This is my first summer baby so I’m going to need all new stuff. Sigh. 
  • Options
    Went to Macy's today, most maternity stuff was buy 3 get 1 free. I ended up getting a lot of stuff for around $200. They have motherhood maternity, pea in the pod, and some Jessica Simpson stuff but I don't think that was part of the promotion. 
  • Options
    **lurker**

For my past pregnancies, I did most of my shopping at thredup.com, an online consignment store.  I also got a lot of stuff from
    my local thrift stores and I found most of them to be in great shape (since they were only wore a short amount of time).

Just wanted to share!

• Options
    @msmonalisavito I love threadup! 
  • Options
    I know there are nurses in here. What about decent pricing for maternity scrubs?

Btw on motherhood maternity, the extra 40% is shown once you place the item in your basket. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Question ladies, did you wait to start buying stuff once you were showing or try to stock up early? If so, how did you know what sizes to get? I’m 12 weeks and not showing yet but wanted to start looking for deals now before I’m in dire need. But I’m just not sure how to know what my “maternity” size is? My apologies if this is a dumb question. FTM here so I know nothing. Lol
  • Options
    Been getting stuff from thredup recently, liking it so far. Also bought a few things from motherhood when their clearance was on sale (not sure if still going on). I’m gonna have some challenges with finding a nice warm sweater or jacket for the winter. My winter jackets are already tight. 

@ashbub714 with #1 i waited a bit late i think but i started showing around 17 wks. This time around i had to switch to mat clothes at 13 wks. Still in that awkward stage where mat clothes is loose but regular is tight. I’d say at least have one pair of pants ready to go.
  • Options
    Anyone have a brand recommendation for maternity leggings? I'm talking the nice, thick, wear them as pants like a dgaf-er, bend over without them showing your underwear off status maternity leggings. 
    The Isabelle maternity leggings for target! I’ve basically been living in them. They have a full front panel, but it’s cut low in the back if that makes sense? LOVE THEM! ❤️
  • Options
    @myfairbump I just ordered some maternity Cherokee Flexibles for $50/set. But definitely look on the BST pages if you’re on Facebook, I’ve seen some great deals! What type of setting do you work in?
  • Options
    @ashbub714 your maternity clothing size is the size you currently wear...but maternity. I wear size medium or size 8 pants, so I buy medium and size 8 in maternity. Of course sizes run small or large like regular clothing so if is always good to try things on. As for when to buy...I would say if you are still comfortable in your own clothing, hold off on buying a lot. I would get a couple of outfits for stand by because sometimes you just “pop.” One day your clothing fits and the next, things are tight!
  • Options
    Has anyone found good workout leggings? I wanted to give Old Navy a shot since they're cheap, but they're constantly sold out.
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie i found some good ones at target. 
  • Options
    @chaser61 thank you! That makes perfect sense but for some reason I thought it would be more complicated than that lol I’ll start looking for a couple pairs of pants and a few tops to have ready.  :)
  • Options
    @Claireymary I work in a clinic. We are required to wear scrub bottoms with polo shirts, someone who was in charge at one time said we weren't real nurses so we didn't need to wear scrub tops and when asked what to do about pockets we were told we could wear a vest or jacket. I could go on for days about how jacked up I feel this is. Sorry for the run on sentence.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    morethanamamamorethanamama member
    edited January 2018
    I got jeans from Target but returned them, they were comfortable but still too big for me and didn't like the fit. Super excited about my motherhood score during the sale! I got some dresses and jeans, overall I think 6 pieces for $85 total!!!

ETA: I also am looking forward to trying thread up!
  • Options
    @d_marie_23 @chaser61 A friend recommended Le Tote for maternity clothes and sent me a discount code for a free box. It's a little different from Stitch Fix in that's it's essentially a clothing rental service. You subscribe and can exchange clothes when you want. You can also buy items you like for a discount to keep them. In my box I got a few maternity items and a regular dress, plus a scarf and necklace. At 14 weeks at the time the maternity clothes were a bit big, but seemed like they would have been useful later on. Since I didn't want a recurring charge I cancelled. But maybe you can google for a trial?
  • Options
    Thanks @Claireymary! I'll check them out for sure. I get surprised out how thin many places make maternity leggings! 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie I've got some regular workout gear from Target that has worked for me up until now, but I get too hot in leggings when I workout and need shorts, so I'm going to try out a pair I got from https://fitmaternity.com/ tonight. I'm finding the waist band on my regular shorts are starting to roll on me in workouts and its annoying!

• Options
    @Claireymary I work in a clinic. We are required to wear scrub bottoms with polo shirts, someone who was in charge at one time said we weren't real nurses so we didn't need to wear scrub tops and when asked what to do about pockets we were told we could wear a vest or jacket. I could go on for days about how jacked up I feel this is. Sorry for the run on sentence.
    Ugh that's frustrating! I'm an RN in family practice, they're pretty lenient with maternity wear. So we just have to wear scrub pants, but can wear a plain top (instead of scrub top). Don't let anyone tell you you're not a real nurse! 
  • Options
    Tried on maternity jeans today at Target, but they were not on sale. They had the side panels which kind of showed under my shirt and i wasn't some on that feature. I did end up buying a nursing bra in a larger size (36DDD) which fit great. I'll come back to pants later. I'm still not showing much.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    I got my motherhood sale order and loved the dresses!!! I love all 3 but keeping two. The jeans were just ok. I'm keeping them because they are comfy and $11. The leggings I'm returning because the pink is completely different than online and I look like a pig!
  • Options
    angleyeskkhrangleyeskkhr member
    edited January 2018
    @moguippy

i am still trying to figure out Motherhood Maternity’s sizing. I bought work pants that seemed to fit well at first. Then I bought some jeans and they keep falling down and feel too big. I don’t know if it’s that I’m losing weight in some areas and it’s all going to my belly or just that my prepregnancy size was not accurate/slightly big, or if MM runs slightly big. The work pants sometimes slip down now as wel in the hip area. I’m hoping once my belly gets bigger, it’ll hep keep the pants up. 
  • Options
    I've found Motherhood Maternity to be hit or miss. I bought two pairs of leggings; both size small, one full panel/regular style, the other are under the belly yoga leggings. The regular ones are a bit small but still fit comfortably. I thought maybe I just need to wear them a few times. The yoga leggings are ridiculous. They fit like they are a large on me. I'm swimming in them! I kept them knowing I'll maybe grow into them and I just wear them around the house. 

Gap Maternity is better in my opinion. Destination Maternity is also better quality (a sister store to MM) but costs more. I get my 'nice' tops from DM. 
  • Options
    If anyone sees maternity short sleeve rash guards for under $30 each, please let me know!  Also - if you have advice on what to wear under a rash guard (bikini top? nothing?) that would be appreciated.  LOL
  • Options
    @MichelleAG05 for the sake of my nipples I think I’d wear a bikini top lol 
  • Options
    @acunamatada - I didn't even think of that.  Mine are SO sore still!  LOL.  I bet I have some that will fit well enough to go under a rash guard (assuming I can find one I'm willing to spend the money on).  
  • Options
    Question: I gain weight mostly in my thighs. I'm worried that if I buy maternity jeans in my regular size 28 they won't fit later on once I've put on a few pounds of fluid/fat. Has anyone run into this problem with maternity jeans? 
  • Options
    @beanship A lot of people buy a size up knowing they will grow into them. All of the jeans I've bought are still on the loose side now but it'll change in a few weeks. Since they have the panel, the pants will still fit. 
  • Options
    @beanship I think it’s hit or miss like any clothes. I had a pair from h&m that didn’t fit me until after pregnancy, but another pair that was too loose in the thighs. Definitely look for good stretch! I’m not sure about when I gained all the fluid towards the end, I lived in maxi dresses, skirts, and mat shorts (July baby) so I didn’t have as much of a struggle.