Short Cervix with Mono-Di Twin — The Bump
Multiples

Short Cervix with Mono-Di Twin

Hey all: I'm 13 weeks and 3 days pregnant with mono-di twins (from IVF - a single embryo transfer that split) and was just found to have a short cervix at a scan yesterday. 2.3cm. My OB did a great job running down the risks. For now she is advising the wait and see approach with advice to take it easy and avoid heavy-lifting, etc. I'll have another scan in 10 days. I have also started vaginal progesterone. Since seeing her I have had very light spotting and very mild cramping.  Neither of which I have had during this pregnancy.

I had an easy and successful singleton pregnancy with no cervical complications less than 2 years ago so this is coming as a bit of a shock . . .

Any advice would be exceedingly appreciated. We are, of course, quite worried. 

Thank you!!

Re: Short Cervix with Mono-Di Twin

• Unfortunately there really is no advice that can help other than to follow what your OB says. The only other thing I can think of to do is ask for a consult with a high risk doctor to see if they agree with your ob or if they have any other ideas for you. 
    I had cervical funneling and was about 2.3 cms at one point, but I was much further along. They had me take it easy and I started to get weekly u/s to checks on babies and my cervix. I also received steroid injections, but we had a couple other issues that caused them to worry I wouldn't make it to 38 weeks that led to those.

I know there's no point in telling you not to worry. It's hard to be a momma. Especially after struggling to get pregnant (our twins are also ivf). So just take deep breaths and know you're doing all that you can to keep them safe after healthy.

vflux33
  • Thanks for the response. My OB is high-risk so that's covered. Repeat scan today showed length of 2.4cm. She's happy I'm holding steady and hopeful this will stay as is for much of the pregnancy. I hope so too!