June 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Maternity Clothes

2»

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Maternity Clothes

• Options
    helenbzhelenbz member
    edited December 2017
    @Miz_Liz I’ve been wearing Old Navy’s high waisted athletic leggings. The waist is generous and stretches (no cutting in) and they are thicker than some other leggings. There’s a small logo on the top of the back that shows they are work out pants but no one can see it. I haven’t tried their maternity leggings. Avoid anything labeled “compression”, it means uncomfortable and unflattering. 

If you're feeling self self conscious about wearing leggings. Make sure they are thick and make sure you wear shirts that cover your butt. You can buy shirts in tall from old navy or gap, even if you’re not tall to make sure they give you good coverage. Anything tunic length is going to be cute.

Abd lastly...your body and you are amazing. I hope that you find something that makes you feel more comfortable in your body as you navigate your pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @Miz_Liz
    Plus sized  second time Mama here... Motherhood for the win on Plus sized Maternity. And I have had success with Old Navy, but I am a 1X. I have also found jersey knit, faux wrap tops or dresses in one size up to be pregnant belly friendly, for the long haul.  Winners (Canada) and TJMaxx and clearance racks are the place to go.  All in all Plus Sized maternity shopping is miserable IMO. 

I would also say I have had a great success (even as Plus sized) at local thrift stores for maternity clothes. About a third of my maternity wardrobe is thrifted. Dress pants, jeans, tops, skirts. 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So I was browsing some stuff on Thyme Maternity stuff - I got 2 gift cards for xmas - and after a convo with MIL, it made me question a few things.

First off, I think I'm carrying high .... if I am {assuming nothing changes until baby drops} would I need maternity undies?
    Are they worth it?
    I'm having no issues now, and I'm 17 weeks, 4 days {I'll post a bump photo tomorrow} but is this a necessity?

Or .... is there places that have better undies that are better priced?
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I think regardless of if you’re carrying low or high your hips may widen and require different undies. Maybe not maternity undies, but a different size. Or maybe not? TBD

That said, I ordered one pair of XS gap maternity undies and realized I like them so much better right now than my normal XS gap undies. I think they’re literally just wider in the hips without sagging down in the crotch. (Usually if I go up a size in gap underwear, the crotch hangs low.)
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger with DD I didn’t necessarily buy maternity underwear. I just bought super stretchy, boy short type, underwear that I knew could work after birth whether I had a csection or vaginal. I think I started wearing them at the beginning of the third tri. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I was starting to feel like some of my regular undies were digging into my stomach so I just went to Target and got some hipster style cotton ones in a size up. They are so comfy!

On that trip I also got two comfy bralettes that are kind of v-neck/plunge that I can use for nursing. 10/10 would recommend because real bras are becoming a torture devise. 

I got a GC to Gap/Old Navy and I am currently putting everything in my cart. I found some khaki ankle pants for work for $14. I haven't had to wear dress pants for about 2 weeks and I put my "big" pair on this morning and they are tight. It's so difficult though because I don't really have a bump to fill the maternity pants but even my elastic waist jeggings that I bought 6 weeks ago are getting tight. I have three bags of clothes from a friend but none of them fit and I'm not sure they will because I feel like being tall I'm not going to get that full round bump. I was complaining to MH last night that I don't have a bump and he said it will come, it's like 8th grade all over again when I was crying to my mom because I didn't have boobs. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @MissKittyDanger I never needed maternity undies with my first...I was able to wear my regular underwear the whole time (which I was really sad about, because I was hoping for more of a booty to balance out my bump). Personally, I'd just wait and see and then possibly buy a larger size of some regular underwear. Big ole comfy granny panties were my go-to post-partum, so it wouldn't hurt to get a few of those in advance!
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can return H&M maternity in store? My friend that was pregnant last year thought you couldn’t but I think they may have changed their policy. I know you can return in store at Old Navy as I’ve seen some Maternity returns on the sale rack.

So far I bought a pair of black work pants at buybuyBaby - nothing special but they have the stretchy belly and are super comfortable and don’t need dry cleaning. They don’t seem to wrinkle much either.

I also recently got a pair of Isabella crossover leggings from Target and am living in them at home. The low back kind of threw me at first but it’s supposed to help keep you cool and I’m all for that. The thickness is about halfway between thin leggings and yoga pants. As in they don’t appear to be see through but you’ll have VPL if you don’t cover your butt. I would get something thicker for working out or doing yoga in public.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I never bought maternity underwear with DS, but had larger all cotton granny panties for post-partum.  If you're current underwear is fine, I wouldn't buy anything new.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

@MoonOverGoldsboro & @marcus7676  you both mention post-partum undies, is there any specifics you suggest or just cotton? Should I get a size bigger {I hear the post-partum pads are pretty big}
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I had a simple seamless high-rise cotton brief...I think they were just Hanes, or something else super basic. The high rise (just in case of a c-section scar) and full coverage (to hold in those giant pads) was key. I didn't need a size bigger, but you may...it all depends on how your bod changes! I'd just wait and buy them closer to your due date.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    @glitterfingers, I think I was looking at those same leggings at Target. They looked like more of a cotton material than the synthetic blend that a lot of exercise leggings use, right? My biggest problem with the synthetic type leggings is the smell after I sweat a little. Do you find any problems with that with these leggings? I'd hate to get some that need washed every time I wear them if I want to get a lot of use out of them as maternity wear.

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Options
    @misskittydanger - - I agree that you should wait until closer to your due date to purchase.  I didn't need a larger size, but others might (depending on where you put on weight).  I had basic hanes too, all cotton.
  • Options
    @icecubeinthedesert

these we’re the ones I got (price is wrong on web they were definitely $35 or less) https://www.target.com/p/maternity-crossover-panel-174-active-leggings-isabel-maternity-153-by-ingrid-isabel-174-black/-/A-52304486#lnk=sametab
    they are that more synthetic type similar to yoga pants. I can wear them for about 2 days before I feel like they need a wash but I don’t sleep in them because I am a big night sweater. I like the feel more than cotton but that’s just personal preference.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger I bought a couple pairs of maternity underwear last time from Gap- besides being slightly more full coverage I do not notice a difference between them and my regular underwear.  I was able to deliver vaginally, so I didn't have to worry about c- section scar, but as others have mentioned you may want to pick up a couple high waisted pairs in case of a c- section.  They need to be well above to incision point to avoid irritation.  If you are unsure where the incision will happen, you can talk to your OB during one of your appointments in May.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    I want to second @jsl82 on the compression socks, especially if you're going to be on your feet a lot end of 2nd tri and 3rd tri. 

I'm plus size with a B-belly that rounds out eventually and I'm the one Latina with no booty, so a lot of the maternity pants fall off me, especially the Motherhood ones. So far I've had the best luck with the Old Navy pants with side panels. Just have to wait for a sale though.
    DS born 2012
    DS2 due: 6/2018
  • Options
    helenbzhelenbz member
    edited January 2018
    Old Navy has a pretty great sale on right now! 

I just got some maternity pants, shirts and some dresses. They have 75% off for clearance items and a code for 35% off your order. Happy shopping! 

I also wanted to post here that I got a BellaBand the other day and it’s been amazing for allowing me to wear my regular dress pants and jeans! I wear it folded over over the bottoms and it feels supportive and smoothes out the seams. Highly recommend: https://www.ingridandisabel.com/1011-bellaband?gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6Ja3KxkUSmZqoS45sJ5aUrnSz8kuMlPdAjR0DwF5KNPd6t8k6ySWO2oaAhJ4EALw_wcB

• Options
    I got a pair of athletic maternity leggings and a pair of pure body leggings from gap, and I like them both! The belly parts on both are regular legging material, not weird pantyhose stuff. Strong reco. 
  • Options
    @helenbz, I'm also loving my Bellaband. 

FYI for those looking, Target's is only $17, but the ones on Amazon are a little more expensive.

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Options
    I just ordered a couple tops from Thyme Maternity {gift card} and since they're ideal for nursing {zippers and snaps} I figured even if breastfeeding doesn't work out, they're still cute tops :)

Someone {possibly here? Pregnancy brain moment!} mentioned to check normal styles and just get a higher size {medium instead of small, etc} and I'm gonna do that for maxi skirts in nicer weather.

I also saw a "nursing hack" from Pinterest about taking tank tops and resewing them so they can be breastfeeding friendly. I'm waiting until later to try that.
    Does anyone want the link?