June 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Maternity Clothes

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... maternity clothes

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. :) 

For S+TMs: 

• Any specifics that may differentiate your preferences (height, build, location climate):
  • Favorite [maternity clothing item/brand]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [maternity clothing item/brand] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [maternity clothing item/brand] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [maternity clothing item/brand]?:

For FTMs

• [maternity clothing item/brand] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Maternity Clothes

• Options
    So I know we’ve talked a bit about this, but maternity leggings? I got a fleece lined pair from Motherhood, which is suuuper comfy, but they pill very easily. The ones I ordered from Gap, Pinkblush and Pea in a Pod are all very thin, somewhat see through, and the belly part is almost like thick pantyhose material? Which I find a bit itchy after a few hours?

Is there a better option out there? Maybe I need to look more at maternity athletic leggings??
  • Options
    I like my oh! mamma leggings. They have held up since my first pregnancy. I have ordered them from Zulily but I believe they’re on amazon as well. I have a pair coming from Old Navy this week so we will see how those turn out. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice on leggings. I have a Gap pair that is cheap, thin, and saggy. My big issue is that maternity leggings don't come in long/tall and regular leggings are so short on me you can see skin when I wear UGG boots. 
  • Options
    • Favorite [maternity clothing item/brand]: I didn’t have any one brand that I liked best all the way around, but here are a few of my favorites for specific things. Old Navy maternity ribbed tanks and shirred tanks because they’re nice and long and stretchy. Oh! Mamma for leggings. Motherhood for basic tees. I kept my eye on Zulily for some different cute/dressier tops and dresses. 
    • Cost- honestly out of all of these Motherhood is the most expensive which is why I only bought a couple 2 packs of basic tees from them. Zulily is considerably cheaper if you're willing to take a risk on something you can’t return. I would size up with most of their tops. Old Navy frequently changes their deals- a few weeks ago I was looking and it was 20% off your whole order, then 10% off, I held out and last week found 60% off so just wait until something like that comes around again. 
    • Is there a [maternity item/brand] you don’t have but are considering? I’m in the market for some extra long cami’s- I like the built in bra- I don’t like Old Navy’s camis compared to their other tanks because they’re too spandex-y so if anyone has suggestions for that I’d love to hear!
    • Is there a [maternity clothing item/brand] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I didn’t have very good luck with the items I ordered from Pink Blush. To me the tops were just like regular tops but marketed as maternity. They stretched out badly in the belly yet somehow shrunk in general. 
    • Additional thoughts on [maternity clothing]?: Full panel jeans were best for me, mid or demi rise left an awkward line across the middle of my belly that you could see through my shirts. Shirred tops are my fav- as a short but not entirely small person, anything flowy hid my bump and just made it look like I was trying to hide some extra fluff (Spoiler: that’s actually what I do when I’m not pregnant  :D )

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I purchased a pair of maternity leggings from old navy and I cannot wear them now.  I probably won't be able to wear them until mid third tri because the waistband / belly part is so large.  I don't recommend them now.
  • Options
    I'm a firm believe that all leggings are maternity leggings in this stage of the pregnancy (ie my regular clothes are snug and maternity is just too loose).  Anything with an elastic waistband will grow with you- won't shrink with you postpartum but will grow until you are fitting into maternity clothes.  @doxiemoxie212 you can buy the next size up in workout legging- and see if that will get you through the next month.  I have a few pairs of jeans in the next size up that still fit and as a STM I'm huge right now.  

I bought most of my maternity clothes from either Gap or Zulily last time.  The only trouble I had with Zulily was the wait time for items to ship- plus I am slightly overweight and some of the clothes were a little tight (or short to cover my belly).  I had a winter baby last time, so I am able to use my jeans and sweaters now, but will probably go to Target and Motherhood for shorts, dresses for April/ May or I'll just always be in leggings.

What I will say is that you should buy compression socks.  When my feet swelled up last summer (I was about 16 weeks along in July- which is what I am now) when I first started seeing my feet swell up.  That continued until after I delivered.  The socks helped- I would have DH rub my feet so that I could move them a little and then sleep in the socks.  Luckily it's not hot and humid right now- but I'm sure by the 3rd trimester it won't matter what the weather is like.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    Hey @jsl82- I remember waiting close to a month for Zulily to deliver in the past, but this last time I ordered on Dec 9 and received the first part of my order yesterday and the rest should be here today! Not sure if they’re rushing things for the holiday right now or if it’s getting faster in general.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Do any of the non-maternity stores have a maternity section?  i.e. I think Old Navy took them out of their stores, and I know Target has a great selection, I'm just wondering if there are others that I can't think of.

Also, where are all you tall ladies looking for maternity jeans?  I've looked on Old Navy's website but just wondering if there are any others that aren't super expensive.
  • Options
    @becca_123 Kohl’s does have a small maternity section in store and that’s where a couple pairs of my jeans are from- they have a Motherhood affiliated brand that they sell there that goes on better sales than what you’d see in a Motherhood store. I also have a pair of Liz Lange from Target that the band doesn’t stay up as well. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

FTM

• [maternity clothing item/brand] you're interested in: Nothing so far.
    • Link/picture:
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: Those with summer babies before {or since we're all here for the summer babies} would it be worth the money to buy maxi dresses and skirts? Also the belly band .... I already have issues before pregnancy about pressure on my stomach, would the belly band be something to skip?
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger DS was born in September and all I wore to work between July-September were maxi skirts and dresses.  Most of them were non-maternity.  Depending on where you live, it might make sense. I'm in New England and won't be wearing skirts by my due date (6/1).  Dresses are not really an option post-partum unless you aren't nursing or have nursing friendly dresses.  

Also, the belly band put too much pressure on my stomach. Look at the mae band, it is basically a wasteband extender.

• Options
    @marcus7676 I live in Canada and last May it was like 35*C {95*F} I'm checking the non-maternity section of a few places since for whatever reason, same dresses will go for $30 in maternity in one store and $10-$15 non-maternity in another store .... and there's no difference!

I'll take a look at the mae band! Where did you find it?
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger Amazon. I know target sells something similar. I wouldn’t spend money on maternity dresses — just buy regular maxi skirts. Mine from target fit me fine through all nine months. 
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger with maxi dresses the difference between maternity and non maternity is usually not a big deal breaker- but they will need to add extra length to the front of the dress- since your belly will lift it.  Clothing stores that sell maternity & non maternity (and they do this will plus size/regular as well) will up charge and claim it is because they have to re-design to accommodate the extra length in front.  As someone who took sewing class in high school ( I won't say how long it's been but my 10 year high school reunion is long gone) I know the pattern will have to change, but it shouldn't require double the price.

My advice is to go a size or two bigger- once we are in warmer months you will know what is fitting your belly & bust (and it won't be your regular size even in a nice flowy dress).  Also, as mentioned above, anything you are buying for May/June (depending on when in June you are due) will need to accommodate your needs postpartum- ie something you can nurse in.  The straps of the dress should be easily pulled down on one side only- and low cut enough that you can nurse without having to completely pull down the dress.    

Around now you should probably start feeling the need for a bigger bra- just buy the nursing bras now.  I still love my nursing cami's since they can be layered and if I am in a button down or a shirt I am pulling up, my belly is not exposed.  I'm due early June so I will probably be inside with the air conditioning most of the summer.  I am only planning on getting a few pair of maternity shorts (3 pairs), some more nursing camis (I have 3 now and will probably get 4 more), some long tunic shirts that can be maternity or not... as long as they are long enough to cover the bump.  I'll probably also live in leggings starting in April.  I luckily do not have to wear business casual to the office, but if I did, I would be getting a few formal clothes for the 3rd trimester such as dresses that I'm okay stretching out and never wearing again or wrap dresses a size up. Whatever you do- do not spend a fortune on maternity clothes.  Most of them are crappy material and are only going to be worn for a few months.   
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    Speaking of maxi dresses, maternity or not, has anyone ever found any long enough for 5'9"? I might have to find a tall one and have it hemmed. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @jsl82 My due date is June 8th, and I was gonna try to stick out with 'normal' clothes as long as possible since I have some good leggings and comfy dresses. I had to get a maternity bra pretty early on as my boobs got really huge, really quick lmao!
    I have one maxi skirt, and if I need to, my mum has a couple she's offered to lend me until I grab a few things as well :)
    I figured there wasn't a huge difference between regular and maternity. I just assumed there was more "stretch" to the maternity ones. Haven't really decided about nursing or bottle yet, so I feel once I have to buy summer maternity stuff, I'll have a better idea.

@krashke Friend of mine is 5'11" and she's bough maxi stuff from Old Navy {non-maternity} but apparently their sizing is weird.
  • Options
    @krashke the only maxi dresses I own are from Anthropologie (I only own 2 or 3), and they're long enough for me at 5'8. I actually have one from there that I think will function well as maternity/nursing because it's sliiiightly high/low hem (the front comes up to like my shins? it sounds weird, but it's flattering), and the ribcage is slightly rouched, but the bust is that kind of.... wrap? style? I don't know how to describe it. There's no tie. But like, where one flap sort of slightly folds over the other, and you can pretty easily pull a boob out if needed? Am I doing a terrible job describing this?? lol. 

J Crew/J Crew Factory is definitely not long enough.... trying to think if I've tried any others... I don't think I have, though. 
  • Options
    @krashke Have you ever bought anything from Alternative Apparel? (https://www.alternativeapparel.com) I have a maxi from them from maybe three or four years ago; I'm 5'7" and could handle it being an inch or two shorter. Maxis are on sale now that it's winter, so a good time to buy!
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    @krashke not fancy, but Old Navy maxis come in tall. They are very long even on my 5'11" frame. Maybe a regular would be long enough?  I like their plain tank style ones with no gathering. Doesn't look like they're in stock yet for the summer. They're a nice basic that can look chic with a scarf or a crop top over top when you're pregnant.
  • Options
    @llamamama14 I have tried ON and the regulars are too short. So I would have to get a tall and get it hemmed which seems like a major PITA. Idk how short people do it having to hem everything. 

*TW LC*

• Options
    @krashke once you have a bump, the hem might not be as much of an issue? 

(My mom knows how to sew, though, so lol if I ever need things hemmed, which is rare, I just bring it home and give it to her  :D I really should ask her to show me some time but........I don't want to do it...) 
  • Options
    @krashke I see. IDK. The tall might work for you pregnant once your bump gets big. I have little sympathy when my short friends complain about having to hem because there's no tailoring option for a tall girl in highwaters. Plus so many stores have petite sections in store and the few stores that offer tall are only online. (End pity party.) I wish women's sizing was like men's with inseams.
  • Options
    *snip*

I wish women's sizing was like men's with inseams.
    THIS!!!
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I could rant on...does the fashion industry assume all women are the same height but men come in a variety of sizes? 
    @krashke I'm remembering that when I worked at LOFT their "tall" pants and dresses were not quite tall enough for me. I think they might work for you at 5'9''. No maxis currently but they usually have some spring/summer.

• Options
    @helenbz I bought the Make My Belly Fit jacket expander so I can continue to use my regular coat. I like to buy puffy coats fairly tight fitting so that cold air doesn't blow around, so mine is already pretty tight. 
  • Options
    FTM
    I've purchased two tops from Target maternity. I got a size medium just so they would fit longer. I could have certainly went with a small. I'm wearing the white one today with regular (nonmaternity) leggings. I have the white one and the blue one: https://www.target.com/p/maternity-pleated-popover-isabel-maternity-153-by-ingrid-isabel-174-white/-/A-52480244#lnk=sametab
    They are $25. Which is okay, I guess. I wear them to work they keep me from looking too casual with leggings.

Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    @helenbz Do you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you? Last time I was pregnant, I ended up getting a very warm winter coat from there for $60, which was barely more expensive than a jacket expander. I live in the Midwest and walk my dog 4 miles a day, so I needed something really warm! I just bought it 2 sizes larger, and then was really happy that I could still wear it post-partum, and now I'm happy I can wear it again with this second baby. I was due in Feb last time, so my jacket needed to be big enough for a giant belly...with June babies, you may be able to get away with going only 1 size up, since we won't be hugely pregnant for most of winter. And that should make the jacket even more wearable even post-pregnancy. 
    Son Max born 1/10/17
  • Options
    @helenbz I'm thinking I will be able to get away with my coat for the most part but I am planning on unzipping it from the bottom if it gets tight later on. If your coat can do that it might be enough to hold you over. 

As far as other winter clothes I have a lot of cardigans so I'm thinking I can layer them with a maternity tank or long sleeve so I don't have to buy a lot of extra's and I can still be cozy. 
    *TW LC*

• Options
    @becca_123 I’ve had some luck with Macy’s, target, and sears maternity sections. Our TJ maxx has a great maternity section too!
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 @MoonOverGoldsboro @krashke Thank you!! 

I didnt see this this thread before I started one. I’m new to The Bump and online community in general. I’m figuring it out slowly :) 

There is a Burlington Coat Factory about 400 miles away in Anchorage. I can make the excuse for a weekend trip! That’s also where our closest Target is so double win! 

I can try layering and hope it doesn’t get cold. It’s been warm so far this year and as long as it stays around and above 20below, I should be ok with a regular store bought coat. I didn’t think to ask to borrow a larger one. I may do that for my vehicle in case it breaks down at 50below. That will help me feel safer and it doesn’t have to be nice. I bet someone has a camo monstrosity I could borrow. :smile:

I will look look into the jacket extender too. If I can get something to let out my current parka a bit, that’d be great!

This thread is great! Thank you 
  • Options
    @helenbz your entire post just gave me winter anxiety.... brrr.  If you are just looking for something that will keep you warm and not about fit/style you can also check out second- hand shops for maternity clothes or even just men's winter coats.  Not sure what the options are around you- but you can always try online yard sales (I know I have a few on facebook that I follow).  

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    llamamama14llamamama14 member
    edited December 2017
    PSA: Rent the Runway now offers maternity. A good option for weddings or special events. They even have a couple monthly subscription offers. ($90/month to get 4 designer pieces at a time.) Pricier than my thrifty self is interested in but maybe others are interested!
  • Options
    @helenbz I was able to fit in my husbands coats 'til the end with my winter baby. Maybe borrowing a spare parka of your husbands (or some large male in your life) would save you some money and still give you the insulation you need.
  • Options
    On winter coats, I have a pea coat, and it fit me through my last pregnancy. I'm due on almost the exact same date this time around, so I'm pretty confident it will make it through the winter again. 
  • Options
    @megara5 If I lived somewhere warm enough to be able to wear a pea coat in winter, id be so glad! :D Nothing cute about dressing for the cold here. 

A few people mentioned maxi dresses for tall women...Old Navy Jersey maxi dresses in tall are super long (I’m 5’10) and they stretch really nicely. The only down side is that you can see every lump and bump but they are very flattering if they skim. They usually go on sale in the spring and I got mine for $15 last year. 
  • Options
    Any plus sized ladies find any stores that you have better luck at than others?  I hate the way everything looks right now.  Also, are there ANY leggings out there that aren’t DISGUSTING on plus size ladies?!  My friends make fun of me because I won’t wear leggings but every time I try some on I feel like I just can’t do that to society...no one needs to see that!
  • Options
    @Miz_Liz I've had pretty good luck with Motherhood and PinkBlush. The trick with Motherhood is to go raid their clearance + pay attention to sales and coupons. Yes, they're expensive, but they'll put their leggings on sale for $10 occasionally. Also their clearance section is very reasonably priced. PinkBlush does good sales too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just ordered a handful of H&M maternity jeans (really jeggings) and they fit me perfectly, just like their regular jeans.  Of course, you have to have the body shape of a 14 year old boy like I do for them to work.  But they're pretty cheap!

Me: 32 | DH: 36

Married June 2005

1/2016 - TTC#1

4/2017 - Initial RE visit, Dx: Severe MFI (Varicocele, 14% motility, 3% progression, but normal count)

7/2017 - Stage 3 endometriosis discovered during laparoscopic removal of ovarian cyst

9/27/2017 - BFP at 10dpo (cycle 22), baby boy due June 9, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Austenista I need to do that (check clearance).  I went today to return some stuff I bought online but I was so focused on getting out of the mall since it was a madhouse that I didn’t poke around.  
  • Options
    @RatParade 14-year-old boy body shapes unite! *high five*
    Son Max born 1/10/17