January 2018 Moms
Options

Cold and flu season at 7.5 months!!!

So I've gotten my flu shot but I'm still sick. This season I've survived bronchitis from a co-worker, pneumonia from my mom and now I'm taking down by the common cold. I can't help but be mad which doesn't help at all lol. Woke up today w a runny nose and sore throat. Any one have any power remedies to help kick this cold quick?! I have far too much to do in the next 7 weeks to take a week off of life bc, I'm not just sick, I'm pregnant and sick.  Thanks!

Re: Cold and flu season at 7.5 months!!!

• Options
    @beany81487 been there for over a week now.  Not enough to make me skip work (bc who has time for that right now) but enough to just feel like shit most days.  I hear netipots are golden for sinus congestion...can't speak from experience bc I don't have one.  I've been doing tylenol cold off and on which is helpful to some degree...
    Anything with steam can help reduce the congestion like a hot shower, humidifier, some vicks.  It's hard to combat for sure especially with a weakened immune system.  
  • Options
    Hi @beany81487! I agree that Neti Pots are amazing if you have really bad congestion. I have a humidifier going in my bedroom now as well. Besides that, I've just been drinking peppermint tea. Hopefully yours clears up soon!

It looks like this is the first time you've posted here-welcome! I'd encourage you to introduce yourself in the introductions thread pinned at the top of our board, and jump in on other threads! We have a pretty great group of ladies here. You may also get more responses to your question if you repost in the symptoms thread for this week:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12720260/weekly-symptoms-thread-11-18-11-24#latest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love the Starbucks flu bomb, cold tea...they call it different things depending on what location you go to.  It’s mint tea, peach tea, honey and steamed lemonade.  It helps me relieve some of the congestion.  I make it at home with just lemon juice, it has less sugar.  Even if I just start feeling icky, it helps!

I am not a huge medicine person but when I’m sick I give in.  My dr gave me a great regimen to follow and it has helped me a ton.  First drink as much water (in what ever capacity you can...tea) to stay hydrated. Take Flonase to help congestion in your nasal passages.  Benadryl to help you sleep cause rest is what your body really needs!  I usually only take half a pill and I am out.  
  • Options
    My favorite cold kicker is hot water, honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon. I don't know why it works, but I always feel SO much better after. 
  • Options
    I’ve been battling a cold/sinus stuff lately too! I use a lot of essential oils and find they help. Also, drink a ton of water and rest as much as possible. I know it’s never the answer people want to hear, but it’s the best way to fight viral crap! Hang in there! Also, lots of hand washing!!
  • Options
    bainidhedubbainidhedub member
    edited November 2017
    I've been mildly stuffy for a couple of weeks and finally broke out my Neti Pot yesterday and feel SO much better. The idea freaked me out but I think I'm a convert now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    Neti pot ftw! Also- I’ve been using my toddler’s cough/mucus medicine- (Zarbee’s) is the brand and it’s all natural. It seems to help little bit, I just double the amount. Mostly I just suffer bc I can’t have the good stuff lol 
  • Options
    Ugh joining the sick party. My dh, ds and I are all sick. DH is acting like he's dying and so sick and I just want to punch him. I told him he can take the good medicine so take it and stop complaining. I get it, being sick sucks, but I don't want to hear him anymore. Also, I may have threatened to put a pillow over his head the other night bc his snoring was RIDICULOUS and I could not sleep at all! He has now removed the extra pillows from the bed ahahahahahahah. I did try to go get my tdap today and she told me come back when I'm not sick. That was annoying.  I feel your pain ladies.  
  • Options
    steph30032steph30032 member
    edited November 2017
    I’m super sick right now too. I haven’t been taking anything (other than Vitamin C pills along with prenatal), but today I decided to take some Tylenol Cold and Sinus. I definitely took it with DS and remembered it was ok, but waiting till after I took them to double check and google had me super freaked out. Is Tylenol cold and sinus ok? Or is it like a hard no on all cold meds? My cousin said Benadryl is ok, but I also thought that was a bad one too. I literally just threw my list of pregnancy safe medicines away last week. Clearly I jinxed myself. Ugh
  • Options
    @steph30032 Tylenol cold and flu was one of the only things my Dr approved when I got sick last month. It takes a little longer to start feeling better, but it still worked for me.
  • Options
    Yes Doctor told me any of the tynelol cold products were ok. Some have an expectorant and some don't so I'd just make sure you get one that works with your symptoms. It's not the cure all but it's helpful
  • Options
    kbreit said:
    Ugh joining the sick party. My dh, ds and I are all sick. DH is acting like he's dying and so sick and I just want to punch him. I told him he can take the good medicine so take it and stop complaining. I get it, being sick sucks, but I don't want to hear him anymore. Also, I may have threatened to put a pillow over his head the other night bc his snoring was RIDICULOUS and I could not sleep at all! He has now removed the extra pillows from the bed ahahahahahahah. I did try to go get my tdap today and she told me come back when I'm not sick. That was annoying.  I feel your pain ladies.  
    Thats too funny. My fiance got me sick too. He feels awful about it. At least its not and not around my due date. I totally get what you mean any time anyone complains I just give them a death stare... "Wanna trade?!"
  • Options
    bbeaman said:
    I love the Starbucks flu bomb, cold tea...they call it different things depending on what location you go to.  It’s mint tea, peach tea, honey and steamed lemonade.  It helps me relieve some of the congestion.  I make it at home with just lemon juice, it has less sugar.  Even if I just start feeling icky, it helps!

I am not a huge medicine person but when I’m sick I give in.  My dr gave me a great regimen to follow and it has helped me a ton.  First drink as much water (in what ever capacity you can...tea) to stay hydrated. Take Flonase to help congestion in your nasal passages.  Benadryl to help you sleep cause rest is what your body really needs!  I usually only take half a pill and I am out.  
    Thank you for the Starbucks recommendation. I got one this morning and it feels great on my sore throat. Not normally a tea person but I'm liking this one!
  • Options
    I'm finally turning the corner with my cold (8 days later). I swear by the neti pot (first time I've religiously used it, totally a convert like @bainidhedub) and a humidifier for relief but to be honest, this cold just SUCKED in a way that no other has. My doc said any Tylenol Cold products were okay, but to watch out for the Cold Max or Multi Symptom. Basically anything with phenylephrine in it is "Class C", so there isn't research on the effects. Some people feel comfortable taking those drugs and others don't, so up to the user and dr to decide - just sharing what I heard! Robitussin and plain Benadryl was cleared for my cough and both helped somewhat. Just keep in mind that if you use "drowsy" Benadryl or other drugs, baby might be drowsy, too, so you may experience less fetal movement.

• Options
    @libbberty that is an excellent point about drowsy meds leading to less movement and it would have never crossed my mind!  
  • Options
    @conineml me, neither, until my PA mentioned it! I'm glad she told me or I would have freaked out.
  • Options
    I mean with the neti pot I still have this half second of "oh god I'm drowning" feeling but it's helping so so much.

While I was BFing my son I got a sinus infection the doctor tried to guilt me for not having/using a neti pot before she'd give me the rx for antibiotics. I was all like "ThIs WoUlDn'T hAvE hApPeNnEd If YoU uSeD a NeTi PoT [insert squawking Spongebob here] just gimme the dang drugs so breathing doesn't hurt my teeth anymore."
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @beany81487

Sorry you are in the sick club! Today is the first day I am STARTING to feel like my old self.  Here's what worked for me:
    *Sore throat: gargle a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and listerine (it is gross, but if you do it 3-4 times a day the first day you have a sore throat and the next couple days, the throat will not be a problem).
    *Benadryl at night to sleep.
    *Lavender oil on sinus, peppermint oil on temples.  If you are an oil crazy person like me, most of them make a breathe again or breathe right blend (or you can make it) to help with the stuffiness. 
    *Diffusing respiratory blend/on guard or thieves. 
    *Hot tea with local honey and lemon
    *Hot water with lemon first thing in the am
    *lots of liquid.

Hope you feel better soon!