Infertility

Polyps?

Any of you ladies dealt with/dealing with polyps?  My RE suspects one (maybe two) based on my last ultrasound.  If not pg this month he plans to explore with SHG (HSG a few months ago didn't show anything) and potential hysteroscopy to remove if polyps are found.  He said only ~10% of subfertile women deal with polyps so I know I may not get a huge response but just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience or any insight. Thanks!
Me: 28 DH: 33
Unexplained IF, possible lining issue or polyp
TTC since Oct 2016
3 cycles letrozole unmonitored (OPK only) with TI all BFN
HSG nothing significant found
2 cycles letrozole+ovidrel+prometrium U/S monitored with TI all BFN
1 IUI cancelled due to suspected polyp(s) and converted to TI (Nov) BFN
SHG revealed a possible polyp or lining issue
Hysteroscopy/D&C scheduled for Jan 3
TTC au naturale before then (chances are low but thought we might as well try!)
In TWW until Christmas

Re: Polyps?

• Hi @wishing-and-hoping - I had a polyp that miraculously appeared after about my 4th round of clomid. I'd had a lot of imaging done throughout my other rounds, and before starting IF treatments, so I know it wasn't there before.

I think it's pretty common for women to develop polyps while undergoing treatments. I've also heard stories about women with polyps that have to be removed before starting treatment.

I ended up having the polyp removed a couple of months after they noticed it, but before we did our first FET. 

Polyps suck, because they can slow everything down. But they can be removed!

Good luck!
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    TTC #1 since Nov 2015.
    dx: unexplained
    Dec 2016 - medicated cycle (clomid) - BFN
    Jan-Apr - IUI + clomid x3 - all BFN
    July 2017 - IVF#1 - 4 frozen embryos
    Nov 2017 - FET#1 - BFN
    FET#2 - TBD
    BababattyadiratBusinessWife
  • Ditto @funkykey, I've seen many women on here who have polyps that seem to appear during treatment. While it's a huge drag to face a delay, fortunately they are easy to take care of and don't seem to have any long-term effects post-removal. Good luck!

DH & I: Both 28
    TTC #1 June 2016
    IF Dx: Premature ovarian insufficiency and luteal phase defect associated with genetic condition
    BFP 2/23/17. Said goodbye to our baby girl at 14 weeks.
    IVF+PGD September 2017 -- 9R, 9M, 7F, 5B; 2 healthy embryos, 1 questionable
    FET November 2017 failed

BusinessWife
  •     
  • My doctor found a polyp when she repeated my SHG after a year, so we proceeded with our two ivf retrieval cycles and then did the polypectomy prior to frozen transfer.  I know of other women on here that happened to as well.  Not the worst thing in the world, really not a big deal!  Just a short delay to get it taken care of, like maybe one cycle max, but sometimes not even, which won't even matter in the grand scheme of things, when we are holding our babies. ❤ GL
    "Perky Sassy Sugar Socks"

Me: 33 | DH: 40 ~ Married / NTNP #1: 05.30.2015 ~ TTC #1 November 2015

5/16 - Began Creighton Method CM Tracking / Napro Fertility Medicine | Progesterone + various abx cycles - all BFNs
    8/16 - SHG: ute good, at least one tube open | Adrenal saliva test: chronic stress cortisol levels -> started adaptogens
    10/16 - azoo dx confirmed. more bw + TRUS to determine differential dx. 3/17 - genetic labs, renal & repeat scrotal u/s.
    No known genetic cause found. Vas tubes appear absent on repeat exam. DH started Clomid in prep for MESA/TESE
    4/17 - Initial RE Consult for me. | DH's F/U bw shows great T response! but also elevated FSH, making the possibility
    of a successful vas reconstruction less likely, IHHO. | Waiting for DH's exploratory/retrieval attempt till after 06/06/17.

adirat
  • I developed a polyp when TTC #2, found during SHG. Quick and easy removal as outpatient surgery. I took that day off only because of the anesthesia, totally fine the next day. 
    Melissa 39 - DH 45
    TTC # 1 - 4 years, 7 IUIs, 3 IVF, 1 FET, 2 M/C, DD 2015 :)
    TTC # 2 - IVF # 4 March 2017 Long Lupron, 150 Gonal F, 150 Menopur
                                 21R, 12M, 7F, Transferred 2 Froze 1 - BFN
                    FET # 2  May 2017 - BFN
                    IVF # 5 Sep 2017 - Antagonist, no BCP.  200 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menopur, Cetrotide started day 5, Lupron trigger
                                 19R, 13M, 12F, No Transfer - 2 "beautiful" blasts frozen
                    FET # 3 Nov 2017
    BusinessWifeadirat
  •     
  • I actually just had some small ones removed yesterday. I had never had any before, but I believe the longer you are on meds/cycling, the more likely they are to pop up. Not a big deal, but the delay sucked. Feeling back to normal today!
    History in Spoiler

Age: 30 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality eggs based on poor embryo development
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct/Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1 4-cell (4/4 quality) embryo- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- FET on 12/8!!
    BusinessWife
  • ***lurking***
    *tw- mc and pregnancy mentioned 

They found polyps after I miscarried from our fresh ivf transfer. They also found remnants from the miscarriage and both things alone would have warranted them to go in and "clean things out" for lack of a better term.
    So I had the minor surgery and a couple months later we did our fet and both embryos took. The surgery was easy and had zero recovery time.

I think polyps are extremely common. 
    Good luck on your journey.
    wishing-and-hopingBusinessWife
  •     
  • Thanks to everyone for sharing, and so glad everyone had such easy recovery.  I guess I will likely know more in about 3 weeks, but good to know that it will be dealt with one way or another.  Sometimes I wish I could fast forward a few weeks - like every TWW! - and especially now since I'm facing two unknowns.  This year I am definitely thankful for the busyness that Thanksgiving will bring.
    Me: 28 DH: 33
    Unexplained IF, possible lining issue or polyp
    TTC since Oct 2016
    3 cycles letrozole unmonitored (OPK only) with TI all BFN
    HSG nothing significant found
    2 cycles letrozole+ovidrel+prometrium U/S monitored with TI all BFN
    1 IUI cancelled due to suspected polyp(s) and converted to TI (Nov) BFN
    SHG revealed a possible polyp or lining issue
    Hysteroscopy/D&C scheduled for Jan 3
    TTC au naturale before then (chances are low but thought we might as well try!)
    In TWW until Christmas

BusinessWife