March 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 11/9

2»

Re: UO Thursday 11/9

• Options
    Love what @mdfarmchick said! I have 3 separate couple friends whose marriages are crumbling under the weight of putting their kids first or in one case, using the kids as pawns. 

My UO: I dislike Caillou. He is so sweet to his mom and the show cuts to scenes of her walking away or not even acknowledging his sweetness. 
  • Options
    speaking of food....I can’t stand Chinese food.  It smells horrible.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cheesecake = Heaven (and now I really want cheesecake :#)

American cheese is only acceptable melted in a grilled cheese sandwich. 

I agree that it is important to take time for your relationship with your SO. But also important is taking some time for yourself (and letting your SO have time for themself too.)

100% with you on the religion thing @syssa-o
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    @ksmwalters oh. em. gee. That crack pie looks amazeballs...and like a lot of work! If you *really* have to use a standing mixer for the filling, I'm out.  :(
  • Options
    @barrelocarol Hating Caillou must be a semi popular opinion. The sound of his voice still haunts me from babysitting in junior high. @_@
  • Options

Caillou has never played in our house either, I don't think my kids even know about him which is a blessing because I've heard that his voice starts to grate on the nerves after about the first episode (obviously no first hand experience).  I love pie! Fruit pies are my favorite, apple, blueberry, strawberry rhubarb, etc just give me all of them.  I love sweets especially now and I have a recipe for a super moist chocolate cake with chocolate icing that I think I'm going to make when I go home.

I agree that it's important to put the time and effort into your marriage, mine is a slightly different situation because DH works over night and his days off are Wednesday and Thursday where I work a more traditional 9-5, weekends off job.  Getting to see each other at all is hard because he tries to switch his sleeping pattern around on his days off so he's awake during the day and we can spend time together after I get home from work but it doesn't always work (like this past week).  My advice to FTM is to set a routine with your LO early on to try and get them on a schedule so you don't feel so overwhelmed and then you can make time for your relationship once you have that schedule set.

• Options
    Caillou and Spongebob are banned in our house and our kids know it, too. DD calls them “yucky shows” and reminds Dad to change them if they come on. I just cannot with their obnoxious-ness. Is that a word? Can it be? It is now. 
  • Options
    mmom3 said:
    speaking of food....I can’t stand Chinese food.  It smells horrible.  
    China is one of the largest, most diverse countries in the world with tons of different styles of food so maybe you just haven't found the right kind?

Unless you're talking about "Chinese food" like fake American Chinese fast food then yeah I feel ya.  
  • Options
    @amylonghorn it’s definitely a lot of work (hence why I only make it at the holidays, or for my brother’s bday if he reallllly begs) but it’s so worth it, I promise. I’ve had a stand mixer for like 10 years (I love to bake and it was all I asked for one year for Christmas in college) so I’ve never tried making it without one. I’m pretty sure my brother made it several years ago with a hand mixer and it was fine, though. 
  • Options
    DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited November 2017
    Maybe I misinterpreted the responses to "the laundry can wait" comments, but I never took it as an excuse to let the cleanliness of your home go.  I always thought it was encouragement to not get stressed out by choosing to spend time with your children over doing the mundane tasks of life.  I always looked at it as advise for you to find other times to do things when your kids are craving your attention than the actual literal sense of don't fold your laundry.

I wish my husband and I could put our relationship first.  I admire people who have made that a priority.  We work opposite schedules, so that we can accommodate our family and schedule, and often don't have days to spend together.  I do think over the years we have found a balance and look for other ways to put us and ultimately our family first.  It's nice to read so many have a great balance to personal and family life.

Edit typos
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 some aren’t bad, I see a lot of what I posted below on my Facebook feed and it makes my eyes roll so far back they get stuck most of the time. 

• Options
    syssa-o said:
    @DDRRT1982 some aren’t bad, I see a lot of what I posted below on my Facebook feed and it makes my eyes roll so far back they get stuck most of the time. 

Stuck in quote...oops!  I can see why memes like this are annoying, but to me these posts are just a way for a mother or father to rationalize how they choose balance in life.  I think everyone would love to spend all the time in the world with their children while having a clean house, but some people are better at finding that balance (like you) than others.  When parents feel like they are making a compromise in certain areas they struggle to rationalize their choices at times and seek validation from others that they are doing what is right.  This is just how I interpret expressions like this. 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv I agree with you and @day38.  The love I have for my husband and for my kids is a different kind of love but I don't love one more than the other.  My way of interpreting it (and this might not be the way others take it) is that I have to make time for my relationship without kids so that we can remember that we were a couple first and that couple doesn't get lost in the midst of the Mom and Dad roles.  DH and I love our kids but we also like to have nights where we go to a hockey game, a concert, etc without the kids, it's a time for us to reconnect as adults and work on our relationship as adults because I don't want to wake up in 25 years after my kids have moved out and realize I don't know who my husband is anymore because I've only known him in the role of my kids dad for the past 25 years and not as the person he's turned into.
  • Options
    I agree with those who talked about loving husband differently than the kids. It’s not about who I love more but it is important to maintain our relationship because eventually the kids do grow up and also because these kids were made from our love, so why would i Let that go or put it on hold while the kids grow up? It’s important for the kids to see an example of a healthy relationship.

Also, about the good moms have sticky floors thing- this is probably an UO here, but who cares? It’s just a saying. I don’t think it’s meant with malice. Kids make messes. Sometimes other things come before cleaning.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I always thought the “good moms have messes” as more of a reassurance, rather than bad moms choose cleaning over their kids. It is so easy to get worked up and over stressed if everything isn’t done. Let’s be honest, how often are things like housework ever going to be finished with kids in the house? It can be so overwhelming at times. I take it as it being ok to take a breath, the house doesn’t reflect our ability to parents 
  • Options
    I absolutely love my SO differently than my children. I also love each child differently as well. But I love them all equally. 
  • Options
    Sweet potato pie over pumpkin pie all day if I must choose. 

Definitely planning on making sure the boyfriend and I have adult time without the kids, this is my first baby, his third, and I am so excited to share my life with her however I am also excited to continue my life with her father and have our separate time also. I have heard all too often that having a baby changes everything and I expect changes, I plan to make them amazing for all of us. 

My house is tiny and an unorganized mess, so ready to have the 3rd bedroom done so we will have more space for us, my step son and step daughter and their baby sister when she arrives.

My UO today is that I can't wait for the first snow and I can't wait to get my tree up. Definitely feeling the winter time joy right now!